Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Agents are GO! posted:

Edit: and a serif font. Double :barf:

old fonts = serifs
serifs = immersive
realistic immersive HD 4k serif fonts, hot files on Nexus a day after uploading

search your feelings, Agents, you know it to be true

Orv posted:

Of course the day I think yeah sure I could replay Skyrim Nexus is busy making GBS threads itself. Good OP though.

it does that fairly regularly but at least these days I just try again 15 minutes later and it's okay. Nowhere near the bad old days of Nexus being down 6 days out of 7, credit where it's due!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

gasman posted:

What? I can't see anything because of the immersive DOF.

Why do so many people turn Skyrim into a myopia simulator?

eye-murder DOF can be useful if your intent is to post a neato screenshot that gets lots of thumbs-up on Nexus, or more specifically to focus your attention on whatever's in the foreground which is usually a waifu. The key thing to remember is you can also toggle it off. I really doubt the majority of the DOF-death screens you see are what people play with. It takes like five seconds to toggle it on for a screenshot and then off again.

think of it this way: it's a lot easier to just blur the gently caress out of the background than to try and find UHD 8K woodgrain textures like the guy who posted above me. :v:

e: ok I'm sure some people play with it on but they're dumb

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I haven't installed that yet, but gross. DOF-on-by-default is rarely, if ever, a good idea for a videogame. It can lead to some cool screenshots, don't get me wrong, but it's a hamfistedly dumb way of trying to handle the way the human brain perceives visual input. In that regard, DOF is immersive and lore-friendly, right? :laugh:

Actually could someone with Enderal do me a favor and pastebin their INI files? I read someone put the enderal skyrim/skyrimpref INIs into their base game and got better performance - I'd like to diff them against mine and see what they've done to it. Or if someone has already helpfully analyzed their config files, that'd be better.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Not all ENBs come with an ESP plugin so not all ENBs require the "don't change it mid-playthrough" warning. Only ones which give you custom weather (like Natural Longname McENB) do.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Noble Skyrim is really good and is probably the best one-stop texture replacer out there. I've tried others and I go back to NSM every time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ugh, the OP warns us against that EggOver jerk, and here he is making GBS threads up Clockwork's bug list? antistar, ban the hell out of them!! :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

like FSFD said, right-click the "Data" with the checkmark box and pick Set As Data Folder or whatever the option is - fixes it right up.

What you're seeing is a mod which nested all its files in \data\ already inside the archive, and MO doesn't expect that (because a bunch of mods don't) so you just manually say "hey, this is the data folder" and it works just fine.

You can drag and move and tweak stuff all you like while installing so you have full control over what goes where, but sometimes it's a little weird if you can't visualize what's going on behind the scenes. This is just MO making sure you don't end up with duplicate data folders, so the path would end up being skyrim\data\data\textures\... or whatever. And not work.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

was it Arthur Moore

:v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I wanted to put in my two cents on Siets ENB guide: it's good

here's my ENB guide addendum: be careful with lighting mods. It sounds so good, right? Change Skyrim's pretty mediocre lighting to be awesome like this screenshot? Sign me up! The problem is, they assume things when they tweak lighting. Some assume vanilla lighting. Some assume a specific version of a different lighting mod and some assume you live in a pitch-black cave inhabited solely by mountain dew bottles and doritos tacos locos wrappers. In the end, improperly configured lighting mods will rapidly turn your game into one where everything is pitch black and candles light up an area with a radius of approximately 7 micrometers, which is apparently what we call microns now. ENBs tend to exacerbate the issue by nature of how they work - they modify lighting, so now you're modifying a modification which may also be modifying a modification. It's gonna look like poo poo. So read the ENB's instructions twice and pass on anything with a huge pile of pre-req mods.

Or just install a known good ENB and be done with it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Have you also picked up the entire Enchanting perk tree? SPERG perks are a big deal above and beyond simple skillpoint allocation. So if you just consoled yourself to 100 enchant without also taking the entire tree, that may be part of it. You'll certainly want the top tier perk Extra Effect, because two enchantments per item gets stupid powerful; that's on top of a lot of enchantment power boosts on the way.

also bear in mind the way SPERG works there are some cross-tree buffs. For example, some of the Smithing and Alchemy perks may be relevant.

there's always the good old "enchant a bunch of +%enchant gear, equip, repeat" trick! Hope you like potionmaking and/or own Dragonborn, as it has some powerful enchantment gear.

Smol posted:

In my experience, it's best just to turn on the key ENB graphical enhancements, like detailed shadows and soft particles & soft particle lights, but to leave out the color/lightning tweaks (i.e. use UseOriginalPostProcessing=true & UseOriginalObjectsProcessing=true).

Actually this is also a really good idea thing to have listed somewhere. You can always disable bits and pieces of any ENB - or disable huge chunks of it like this - as you please. I suggest NLA for a few reasons, but even I'd disable the DOF effect straightaway. Customizing your ENB isn't just possible, it's basically required. Modding is the game, right? :v:

I think TES General has a pretty good ENB comparison page, if anyone feels the urge to really get into it. In my opinion, it's a good jumping-off point, way better for ENB comparisons than trying to open 75 tabs on Nexus.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 6, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Let me know what your perk trees look like, but I never got deep into enchanting without an endgame character who had several other maxed out trees, so I don't know for sure how essential those perks are, just that I never had problems getting ludicrously powerful gear with them all.

and hopefully, someone else who actually knows SPERG will say something, heh

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

go3 posted:

Downloaded the Clockwork player house and man, that quest. :ghost:

It's really good. Clockwork is really good in general.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

RangerPL posted:

Can someone elaborate on this? Unless the author of the ENB section knows something that I don't, there's no harm in switching ENBs mid-playthrough as long as they don't require their own ESPs because ENBs don't leave a footprint on your save file.

I still think it's good advice: A lot of ENBs do include or require lighting/weather plugins, and those are ESPs you probably don't want to swap around mid-save. That said, you're correct assuming you swap from ENB to ENB that do not require anything different in terms of plugins (either vanilla -> vanilla, or elfx -> elfx, what have you)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Foxhound posted:

Is there any safe way to uninstall a magic mod mid-playthrough? I use Phenderix but want to change to Apocalypse. Will it just completely gently caress up everything if I remove Phenderix?

Phenderix isn't bad really, it's just not that interesting. It adds a lot of stuff but it's mostly fluff that feels generic.

my guess is that it won't completely gently caress up everything, but Skyrim is a weird thing, hence the oft-repeated (and generally good) advice not to mess around with changing mods mid-game. this being said, I do nothing but change around with mods mid-game and I'm not alone. The dirty secret of this thread is just like dirty CK edits: just do it and find out!

Here's the thing - from what I see, Phenderix adds a bunch of spells, npcs, and, optionally, player perks. Two of those are usually no big deal to remove, and the third is something you can find out! Make a good hard save first, such that you can re-add Phenderix and revert if you have to, and just know going in you might be botching the profile. But that's always a risk and :shrug:

there are things you can do to help mitigate continued mod-fuckery, but the way I do it presupposes you've already beaten Skyrim and have 75/75 achievements and consider modding to be the game now.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 13, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

guess it's time for me to go make several waifu mods and get that coveted hotfiles spot

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Everywhere people discuss Skyrim, the 100% hotfiles followers is being mocked. It's kind of tragic...ally hilarious.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

so are there any good crash fixes for the CK? the CK likes to crash for me about ten times as often as Skyrim does.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Thanks dude! Exactly what I was looking for.

Skyrim Unbound is an alternative to Live Another Life; but you should have one or the other. I'm a big fan of SMIM + NSM, which is the Skyrim Mesh Improvement Mod and Noble Skyrim textures, if you want a one-two stop to making it look generally better without bullshit. (There's an SMIM-NSM compatibility patch, also)

other than that, yeah, that's about a ten mod list. I don't do Campfire/Frostfall but :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Is there even anything in that forum?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I restart Skyrim about 500 times for every time I restart my PC, so let's anecdote the poo poo outta this

(for real: the last time I ever actually confirmed, by step by step testing, that a PC restart had a real effect on game stability was the godawful FF7 port from Eidos back in the late 90s)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

As long as you have it activated you can ignore the Hearthfires content easily enough, yeah.

Legendary edition is really just Skyrim + all DLC, so you'd have this in your list:
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfires.esm
Dragonborn.esm

if you've got that you are good to go, even if Steam does not say Legendary Edition.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

In the comments for hiring Tannin, even the guy who owns Nexus is rolling his eyes at Arthmoor :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Raygereio posted:

I've never used the installer version of MO, but simply moving MO's folder should work just fine.

you may need to retarget its mod directory - I don't know how MO handles that exactly, but you may have to specifically say "look, I moved you, which means all my mods are now in d:\mod organizer\mods instead of c:\program files\mod organizer\mods now"

I moved MO on a different hard drive a while back and it worked within minutes, so whatever you have to do - if anything - is really fast, but it was also fast enough that I forget the specifics of what I did! :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

read it and suffer yourself, buddy :colbert:

it's too long for a quote anyway, but basically, some guy accuses the Nexus of selling out, Nexus owner says "he's joining the Nexus, not Bethesda," Arthmoor takes it seriously as a claim that Bethesda really is out to kill modding, is mocked.

it's obvious the "joining the Nexus, not Bethesda" quip was pretty obviously tongue-in-cheek, but well, this is the internet :v:

e: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12905/
look for the comment by "MrJoseCuervo" and scroll down

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 18, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Raygereio posted:

But when you have MO unpack the contents of a BSA, the resulting loose files' file priority is going to be determined by MO's installation order and no longer by the plugin loadorder.

I'm not disagreeing with you but isn't it priority order, which is by default installation order but not fixed as such? because MO makes it real easy to see when a file is overwriting another one and I've been troubleshooting that forever by dragging and dropping in my priority list

I basically just want to make sure I have it right

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I wouldn't know, I still use MO 1.2x because 1.3 refuses to launch on my system. As far as I know I have all the prerequisites but it just silently fails to launch every time. Since 1.2 isn't broken, no need to fix it :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Unless someone not-Tannin steps up and finishes Mod Organizer 2, I have read you will be out of luck on SE.

personally I'm inclined to run SE fairly close to vanilla for a while - give the initial glut of badly ported Skyrim mods time to die down and, hopefully, the SKSE team will be able to do something, that kinda stuff.

It's why I'm also waiting for FO4 GOTY/Ultimate/Legendary/Wasteland edition or whatever. Really, the best way to go.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, the visual changes are probably a small percentage of the actual code change, as opposed to a lot of the big fundamentals being shifted behind the scenes. Don't mistake "most visible feature" for "biggest part of the code."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Is it really starting the whole thing from scratch, or just the address mapping? Or is the address mapping 90% of the work or something?

It's starting from scratch in that you cannot assume any of your prior choices are the same, so you have to identify all the mappings again, start from scratch and test all of the newly written code, and generally it's going to be more complicated to rebuild the same function, most likely. Look at the tough going the FO4SE team has as opposed to prior script extenders.

think of it as knowing what you want to do, knowing it's probably possible, but still having to start from zero.

and that's before you add in all the quirks that I'm sure Bethesda software is riddled with. It'll be faster than literally inventing a script extender, and I'm sure it'll happen, but it won't be "do a few hours of work and push the port SKSE button"

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 20, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If my goal is set-and-forget "good enough" distance billboards, should I go after TES5LODGen or DynDOLOD? It looks like the first is pretty basic and the second builds on top of that like crazy, but does it do things worth the extra time and effort?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It appears to be a server issue; I can't download certain files without getting directed to the Nexus homepage and looking like I'm logged in as someone else. I don't think you can do anything to that other person, but it's ... odd.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I realized the other day that I have never played Skyrim without SPERG. Literally never. I have no idea what the vanilla skill trees look like, aside from probably bad.

SE is going to be weird.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Seriously, I could maybe live without SKSE mods, but not even being able to use a decent mod manager right out of the gate pretty much means I'm not modding SE at all for a while.

Skyrim Special Edition: released in 2016, modding like it's 1999

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

What do you mean I actually need to have SE to make SE mods??? nonsense

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

uh, obviously? how dedicated are you to skyrim modding? perhaps you'd like to write a screed about the evils of Modpicker?

nah i'm sure somebody can help out if it's really just load in new CK -> save in new CK -> upload

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think it's safe to assume nothing has been updated for SE, especially a load-order sorting tool when everyone's load order is "Pre-load complete."

Pon de Bundy posted:

will this new edition make the game look better than available mods already have?

At launch, no, but theoretically it'll be much more extensible to make it better in the long run. Think of it as a better starting place than Skyrim was in 2011, but still in the starting-place phase as opposed to the five years of fine-tuning with mods phase. The wildcard is post-processing, like sweetfx/enb/etc. nobody knows how that's going to pan out.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 27, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

So my impression of how this runs is "chunky." And it's not very much prettier. Welp.

Several people were getting crashes in the first 30-45 minutes, too, so ... :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Also where is the Skyrim SE creation kit, I don't see it in my tools menu in Steam like the regular CK. :confused:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

Wouldn't be the first time a mod ran on placebo effect.

i challenge you to a duel over this statement!

:v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I believe I read somewhere in one of the newsposts that they were hitting a brand new all-time high concurrent user count, so yes, I'm sure SSE is wrecking the place. And the CK isn't even out for everyone yet :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh, well. Neat.

e: I know i'm way behind the times here but this whole beth.net launcher to use the CK to do anything is a bunch of stupid poo poo. Just authorize it in my Steam account like everyone else.

also what folder do I put a regular Skyrim mod into if I just want to update it

straight into data, gross. I thought with the whole mod folder they would've let us separate it out, but nope

and the new CK, just like the old one, throws errors while loading Skyrim's own data files. fantastic.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 31, 2016