Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I want to collect all of the things and put them in my shiny museum again. Can somebody give me a quick breakdown of the strengths/weaknesses of the current wabbajack packs that include Legacy of the Dragonborn? There seem to be only 4 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

Its kind of like sim settlements for Fallout 4. I enjoy using it because its a cool way to showcase character progression and its a neat psuedoguild you can join.
I've played with it before and want to do so again, but there's four modpacks and they all seem to have problems to me. (To whit: One's from the guy who decided to put in their fallout 4 modpack both a mod which makes the X-01 power armor unique and the parts spread across the commonweatlh, AND a mod which gives the Brotherhood magic paint jobs which make the normally lesser power armor they use stronger than max rank X-01 power armor, so I don't trust the guy to consider the effects of mods on other mods, one's a "gritty, low-magic, hardcore survival-adventure experience" which is not what I want, one "focuses primarily on visuals" and I prefer content, and the last one has a big update save-breaking update pending coming "Summer 2023".)

I was hoping somebody could, like, confirm or deny my impressions here, or be able to point out some modpack I missed that's not one of these that includes it but doesn't have that tag.

I was also hoping to find one where killing people with magic is actually practical as my main weapon unlike the last time I played where i was having some problems and grabbed the shittiest bow and shittiest arrows i had in my inventory with no skill gained or perks and it outperformed destruction magic so the low-magic pack is doubly not what I want

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I want a significant amount of not-base-game Things to do, ideally that were not in the older version of Septimus when it had Legacy of the Dragonborn in it. (And are any good, of course.)

What is enairim like anyway? I think Septimus used a different base for its changes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Double Edit: Lost Legacy is probably what you want if you're wanting to be a loving kick rear end mage.
I had generally come to this conclusion but the problem with this modpack is:

And a lot of the mods/changes in this upcoming version do look interesting or "Oh, yes, that'd be good to have"

So my options are "No", "No", "Eeeehhhhnnnn", and "Not Ready". :negative: Guess I'll just keep checking.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is that a guess for when it'll be done or do you have some actual evidence?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

drat, a hard/firm date, even if it's bad news, would definitely be helpful. :negative:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ruggan posted:

Apparently 1.2.0 is fully released now so go wild.

I haven't played Skyrim in a decade but I'm craving it so I might grab this modlist and go for a wild ride.
Eh? I just checked, it still says "In progress ETA summer 2023"

EDIT: and yeah the thing on wabbajack is not showing one of the changes I checked listed in the changelog. Assuming that's what "archive search" does, anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ruggan posted:

This info is hot off the discord, which I only joined literally last night and only because I was curious about an ETA.

Oh poo poo

Guess the website and Wabbajack haven't been updated yet but should be soon :bubblewoop:

EDIT: kinda hate people using discord as the primary info distribution method, though

Zereth fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, wait, I found the releases. ... Do I want 1.2.0, or 1.2.0-rc1?? nevermind I also figure out how to actually see specific times on github

Zereth fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 24, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

This modpack's wabbjack generates its own installation of skyrim separate from the one steam has so whatever that means I assume if it's necessary it does it itself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anybody got any idea why I can't forge dwarven armor despite having the perk for it in this modpack? I'm guessing some drat mod made it so I have to do it somewhere specific, but I'm not sure how to tell which one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fenrisulfr posted:

I've seen lists that include a mod requiring you to have the Ancient Knowledge perk from the Unfathomable Depths sidequest that starts in Riften before you can craft dwarven armor, maybe that's what's going on. If you're handy with xEdit you can check the recipes for the armor there and see what the requirements are, or you can ask on the list's Discord to find out for sure.

nope.

... also I enabled the experimental Even Bigger More Overpowered Mod Trees option labeled "use at your own risk" so the discord might not be too helpful either :negative:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bruteman posted:

Assuming it hasn't changed in the last week or so, someone else had the same question as you and the modlist author indicated you need the Ancient Knowledge perk from the quest referenced above:

Ah, thanks.

Annoying news, but at least I know what to do now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does anybody know why Legacy of the Dragonborn fate cards have 7 and 8 as the rarest cards? Last time I played something with it, and now, I have tons of everything else, but 7 and 8 are the bottleneck for making decks.

Did they gently caress up the loot tables or something? Or is this an intentional choice?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

I've never been able to do anything with those cards and kinda just treat them as moderately expensive (and best of all, utterly weightless) clutter items.
If you collect 2 through ace of the same suit (this may require making trades at the guy in the cornerclub in windhelm, you can trade any rank for the same rank in another suit) you can use a card of that suit to make an item which provides a passive bonus while in your inventory or the tool bag. The decks are also exhibit items.

Except you're gonna have trouble doing this because you'll get no loving seven or eight cards and there's no way to trade, say, multiple duplicates in a card suit for a different rank in that suit, say, and the one guy who sells them (the same as the guy who trades) only sells face cards and aces like they thought THOSE were the ones you'd have trouble finding but no, it's SEVENS and EIGHTS and I think eights are slightly rarer because I remember a lot of "oh, I found an eight! Now to go laboriously work through the trade dialogue of the guy to produce a full set of 13 of something" why are the rare cards 7 and 8 what is the loving problem icecreamassassin why are these so rare compared to more expensive higher rank cards

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Probably +10 to 3 skills or so, but the perk set I'm using also makes that scale Destruction spells that much harder

I'm about 70 hours in I think on this playthrough and I've got two, and can make like, four or five more if I find some loving eights :orks:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Say is there a way to use the console or something to run the script that Dragonborn uses to refund a skill's perk tree? I'm getting tired of the fire perks making everything explode constantly thus throwing everything in the room all over the place and want to try respeccing to lightning. And I would prefer not having to do the entire Dragonborn main plot before I get to do that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

Doesn't look like it, but you could look up the ID of the perks and use player.removeperk [ID] to remove the perks you don't want and player.addperk [ID] to add the ones you want. The command help "[perkname]" should be useful in getting the IDs, though I haven't tried it with perks specifically to be sure.
Thing is I'm pretty sure there are more perks in the Specifically Just Fire part of the Destruction tree than there are Destruction perks total in vanilla. :negative: Any other option besides "manually remove and then add the perks" or "beat Dragonborn main quest" would require adding mods to this already quite large modpack though and I didn't go to Wabbajack because I am confident in my ability to deal with modding skyrim myself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

Are you running Vokriinator Black
Yes.

EDIT: I'll give those a shot, I guess. And my objection to the manual method isn't that it won't work, it's that it's a bunch of work, that I could gently caress up. :ohdear:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 6, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ordinator's MCM does not have an option, and SPERG resets some of my perks, I assume the ones that originate from it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Something, probably something related to the "you gain levels through killing things and quests and exploring, not skills going up" is preventing whatever UI element you use for legendarying a skill (I've never done that so I'm not sure what to look for) from appearing

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay there's no UI element for it, but pressing what I googled the hotkey for gives me the popup, thanks!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Grey Cowl is decent once you get through the incredibly, incredibly long dungeon and to the actual zone.

EDIT: Also, Lost Legacy has LotD and Vokriinator. Not sure about the rest of the stuff you want, but at least take a look at it. (The Vokriinator Black thing I turned on is labeled "experimental use at own risk".)

Zereth fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 13, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

I found the actual zone empty and too stretched-out for what it was. The scarab beetle thing was neat enough, but it all wore out its welcome really fast. And I hated the ending. I thought the first dungeon was the best part of it, even if it was far too long.

Clockwork... man actually it's been a while since I played that. It has maybe one "jump" scare I can think of, and I didn't jump at it.
I am probably not gonna be going back to it this time despite it being in Lost Legacy, yeah, but I think it's worth doing if you haven't before. Lost Legacy does have more than one mod to add more Stuff to the zone, though.

Lost Legacy does do some delveling stuff but not super hard. You can't just go into Bleak Falls Barrow the instant you get to Riverwood but I did it fine at about level 10. (I did the Relic Hunter start instead of vanilla so I hosed around a fair bit before even going to Helgen)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kartikeya posted:

I tend to like at least some deleveling, if not more, and these days I generally gently caress about quite a bit before rolling into the main quest, but from a general mod design perspective, I feel like going into the first real dungeon of the game should be an option before you've filled out two skill trees. Especially since the game takes a lot of pains to point it out to you and go "yeah you're definitely loving going there soon." Shaving off options in general when modding an open world game should be handled with care anyway. Like Elden Ring doesn't have any sort of scaling and it will push my poo poo in with glee, but if I want to say "lol gently caress you Elianora's poleblade is the best Altus here I come" I can do that, because that game is designed around the PC cartwheeling through danger, and it doesn't withhold the dodge button until I've put enough points into dex. Skyrim just wants you to bash the other guy with a sword until one of you falls down."

I didn't really level far enough to find out, but the vibes were it was a little more forgiving than it used to be. A little. It might take three or four shots to murder you instead.
Yeah, defaultish settings on Lost Legacy are more like "maybe don't go into the place until somebody asks for the Dragonstone" rather than "fill out your main combat tree"

I do have a question though, for people familiar with Vorkinator Black:

Is, uh, stacking defenseive alteration spells and perks and heavy armor supposed to make me, like. Not... possible for enemies to harm? I'm not actually immortal, some traps and like, falling into lava can still make my health bar move, but enemies don't. Is this how things are expected to work, or has something gone wrong?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Caphi posted:

What did you expect?
I expected to be able to explode things with magic more better.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Simsmagic posted:

oblivion has better writing and characters imo. I like jaufree and Sean bean a lot more than Delphine and esbern. There's a lot of unintentional silliness in oblivion and a lot of bad game mechanics but there's a lot to like there too
There's some other stuff, too. Getting into the College feels like an accomplishment with having to go to all the cities and get recommendations and stuff. Getting into Winterhold is like "Hello please cast 1(one) spell that I will sell you cheap. Okay now cast a ward while this other guy casts a spell at you. Okay great! Let's go do some archeology"

Mechanics-wise it's worse and a lot more janky even modded up but it's not 100% worse outside the dark brotherhood.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah the modpack I'm playing adds a bit where you have to learn an actual spell and use it for something from each of the teachers at the college between "Congrats you're in" and "Time to go to Saarthal" which helps some with feeling like you're actually learning anything rather than "okay time for the plot"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Conversation pie is genuinely better than "just press a button and hope it goes right" from Morrowind

It makes very little sense that you have to do all four things every time but at least it's something you have a bit of control over (without doing something like a cheesy "fortify speechcraft and personality 100 points for one second" spell anyway)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nah, the pie game's obnoxious. Give me a dice roll skill check.
The dice roll skill check which only gives you skill XP if you succeed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

Wait you guys actually did the minigame instead of hitting the bribe button?
I am trying to make money

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Fun little tip for the oblivion persuasion minigame: draw your weapon before you start. You'll start 10 points lower, which ends up raising your final score by 10.

what? how?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh of course why didn't I realize that :allears:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

I wonder if the thought process was "we really want Patrick Stewart in this game but we can't afford him, so let's kill his character at the end of the tutorial" or "we have this character who's dying at the end of the tutorial anyways, let's splurge and hire Stewart for a day in the booth".
Martin Septim was also a celebrity and he was around much longer and had more dialogue.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

God I hope Arthmoor doesn't get to hold Starfield modding by the balls because he did the modding equivalent of posting "first" in the comments.
I believe this team was formed in advance specifically to beat him to it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vavrek posted:

I'm vaguely aware he's done other stuff in the last twenty-five years, but I always know the man for only one thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Y23jzIldw
MDK

Fantastic soundtrack.
High chance that was made by somebody he employed and he just took credit is the thing. Man's a pathological liar or something like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twDETh6QaI

By popular demand posted:

Had to look it up but that cathedral approach just makes sense and should probably be heavily encouraged by both the game creators and the mod hosting sites.
:same:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jetamo posted:

I remain that guy that wants there to be a "nice location to collect all your weirdly specific and unique loot" equivalent mod for the other Bethesda games. Legacy of the Dragonborn tickles the collectionist part of my brain.
The way it transforms "wow that's a dubiously useful weapon for a type I'm not even using" into "sweet, a new exhibit!" is loving magical.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kartikeya posted:

My first thought delving into Bleak Falls Barrow and encountering that initial trap/dead easy puzzle was that it felt a bit Indiana Jones-ish and it would be cool if there was a mod that let me put poo poo in a museum. Lo and behold.

I've definitely wanted something like LotD since first playing Morrowind, but iirc only Oblivion's Archeology Guild mod, whatever it was called, came close, and that wasn't a museum to display your stuff.
If you're doing things manually you'll want at least the Curator's Companion and probably some bugfix mods, and compatibility mods for whatever other stuff you've got so their items get displays too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

queeb posted:

Septimus was a big one but that one imploded from drama I guess.

I definitely like enairim, simonrim strays a bit too close to vanilla for my tastes
I think Septimus is back, but has a much reduced scope and doesn't include Legacy of the Dragonborn anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Are there any decent modlists that don't require the Anniversary Upgrade pack
Yeah, some of them-

quote:

or triple digit gigs of space?
Oh. No.