Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Ignore the rules, the law, the EULAs. Why would a modder bring a case against Nexus, for what end? The financial cost alone makes this a realistic impossibility. Then if they do, what are they going to sue for? Going to court to MAKE Nexus delete their mod? Emotional damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Going to subpoena Jeffrey to delete all my individual posts on Something Awful

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Every single one of those people, especially ol Arty, is desperately trying to hold on to their little slice of (false) authority, their fiefdoms. They don't have anything else, this is it. It's why they react exactly as we all expect, and why they retreat to these private enclaves on the internet to nod at each other and pat each other on the back.
I wish they were unique about it, or there was something novel to say or see, but nah. Just the same poo poo, same characters, same reactions.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Skwirl posted:

It's vaguely hilarious that the people behind Nexus didn't predict any of this fallout too. Have you ever read the comments on your own website?

The truth is that these mod authors aren't needed, the community doesn't need Artmoor or italicized person or the other people screaming about their values or whatever.
It has always been, and will continue to be, about the end-users. Artmoor is nobody if players didn't download his mods and give him a platform by him being able to point to 'total number of downloads' on the Nexus. This is true for any mod author that cares about this stupid garbage. If Artmoor stops posting mods nobody will give a hot gently caress and someone else will come around and take their place. But then Arty won't have his fiefdom, so he will never ever give it up. Same for the others. They will scream up and down, but will stay put because what are they going to do, start a competing Nexus where players aren't the most important? Please.

The have zero, absolutely zero authority within the community because the players don't care. If there isn't a mod then there isn't a mod, or someone who is less of an rear end in a top hat will come along and make it, or one of those players will become a modder themselves and make the mod. Art adds nothing besides mockery and distain for himself. We can talk EULAs, law, precedents, courts, all the nitty gritty specifics but overall poo poo matters not. Players don't have time for all of that, they just wanna "hahaha go brrrrr" with content and they will.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I blame the Nexus for catering to these guys earlier on though, I suppose to make sure they stayed 'Nexus'. Now though Nexus is big enough on its own it doesn't need to cater anymore.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Shortest Path posted:

The good old days of early Minecraft modding were even worse, if you'll believe it. The mere concept of modpacks was enough to make dozens of manchildren have epic, shrieking meltdowns that shook the entire community with their rage.

Boy howdy.

It's great that was forced out, cause yeah man that poo poo sucked.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
He'll be back, he's done this before. He storms out, nobody comes with him, he needs his ego stroked, he'll slink back and act like he never left. It might not work that way, but he'll attempt it. I enjoy is 'maybe someone ELSE will make a Nexus replacement that respects the modders' take as he's not willing to help out, I guess. Also nobody will go, players go where there is easy content to consume. That's the Nexus. No players, no audience, no attention.

He's a dumb, predictable milquetoast has-nothing-else stereotype. Glad to see he's finally jumped to the next level, maybe this time he'll stay out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Speaking of mod lists.

Imagine having a conversation in real life with this person lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kartikeya posted:

"Sure, they don't have any say in the matter either...... but still, it seems they rate higher than authors at this point"

:siren:

Wow that person finally figured it out. No users = no traffic = no lavish modder after-parties.

If making content for Skyrim is so hard then they could just....not. But they won't because they need the likes, the ratings, the attention. It's why they just sit there and bitch, but don't actually leave.

:allears:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

I'm cool with the HD leeks or whatever, I just hate the dumbass super model character overhauls.

Your avatar says otherwise

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
So then it isn't an automatic upgrade or what

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dbzfandiego posted:

Apparently the new content also works in the SE version. So time to go fishing i guess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/qs4gyy/new_creation_club_content_in_skyrim_ae_works_in/

This means it also works for the VR version too?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah Lykanthr0pe is currently staging a "stop putting words in my mouth, I'm not political, in fact I think BOTH sides are equally bad, but seriously, I really hate gay people" shitfit on his Nexus profile and the pinned and locked comments on all of his weirdass gay-erasing mods. Basically a hit dog howling, SUPER hard.

Dude is super closeted, but we all know this.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dwarf74 posted:

'jacking off but in skyrim'

but you repeat yourself

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Moreau posted:

I have often wondered what exactly it is about Skyrim that makes people so drat ... horny. Probably best not to know

The people are horny, has nothing to do with Skyrim specifically, but

unimportantguy posted:

Popularity and moddability, mostly. The kind of person who makes those mods would do them for any game if they could but Skyrim lets them do so more easily than others.

is exactly it. It's Skyrim because it's Skyrim, it would just as easily be something else.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cheesetriangles posted:

You know that mod say it's not lore friendly but is that true? Pre modern period it was pretty common for a lot of nude artwork and statues to be made. Feel like in a world where Bethesda didn't care about ratings boards or bad press it would fit in.

Nirn isn't real

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
You download a modlist from wabbajack then modify from there, obviously

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
They can do the settlement thing in the next Elder Scrolls if they'd like but I'm going to probably completely and absolutely ignore it.

poo poo was so clunky, obtuse and lovely in Fallout 4 that I am still to this day surprised people like it at all. It isn't that I don't like settlement games or anything either it was just so poorly built and terrible to interact with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Commander Keene posted:

I wonder if the thought process was "we really want Patrick Stewart in this game but we can't afford him, so let's kill his character at the end of the tutorial" or "we have this character who's dying at the end of the tutorial anyways, let's splurge and hire Stewart for a day in the booth".

They seemed to have this idea of getting a famous person to be someone you knew in both Oblivion and Fallout 3, maybe it was just a phase.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Plus this thread is ~alive~ as in you can ask a question and someone might answer if it's not in the op.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'd hazard a guess that there is more talent now, in the modding community of Skyrim which will probably lead to more in Starfield to start with. Assuming that, I don't know if Artmoor types can survive, you know? Modding was a lot smaller back then vs. now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GunnerJ posted:

There was a poster who used to be active here (whose name I can't remember, but I think used a Mackelmore av??) who was also involved in Minecraft modding and said all along that if there was a shift where the community would just tell the prima donna mod authors to pound sand and/or let them storm off in a tantrum, the "state of modding" would recover and move on and be just fine, if not better. That's how it happened in the Minecraft mod scene, and it looks like that's what happened here.

drat, I kinda want to mod Skyrim again.

Not that I want to take place of Mr. Mackelmore AV, but that is kinda of my experience with Minecraft modding.

YEARS ago (in 2011) Minecraft modding was a modify-your-base-files-weirdly affair, an extremely opaque dirty way to mod your game. At the same time, the not-official Minecraft modding forums were where all modding took place. The situation was all parlor, all the time. You had the thread with the mods behind adf.ly links, and a very heavy parasocial relationship aspect with the people who didn't make the mods shouting down the people (mostly kids probably) asking for help on how to install mods. And since you never just do one mod, players wanted to have multiple mods, which then reflected in a bunch of mini-arthmoors smugly saying their mods were more important that whatever other mods you were trying to use at the same time and to stop asking for help if you're too dumb to mod your game :smug: and it was loving awful.
Since I, the cool guy, had been modding games already (the OG Counter-Strike 1999/2000 and Morrowind and Oblivion later) I roughly understood more about modding and just rolled my eyes and tried to ignore the awful, awful community. I ended up mashing a bunch of technical Minecraft mods together, Industrial Craft, Buildcraft, Better Than Wolves, among others, into my game. I was posting about it in the thread here on SA about how these mods actually worked together in novel ways that nobody designed for, but the nature of them meant you could use Industrial Craft fuel in Buildcraft, for instance. A couple people asked how and what mods I was using, so I went and carefully made a .zip file full of all the raw files you'd need to drop on top of your base Minecraft game in order to get the set of mods I was using in my game but without any Minecraft code itself, sidestepping any actual, real piracy concerns, and posted the file here on SA. Because I knew how loving awful the Minecraft modding community was at the time, I deliberately included a .txt file that said something along the lines of "this community sucks and everyone is going to be mad I'm doing this whatever gently caress em" if only so I could take ownership of the drama that might come at me later if someone from the minecraft modding forums found out what I was doing. I didn't expect anyone to actually find out, since I was just sharing a .zip file on Something Awful for a couple people so they didn't have to gently caress around with modding because they just wanted to play the game without any fuss, but the state of modding in Minecraft at the time meant I knew I'd get pushback even though I didn't actually post on the Minecraft forums if any of those scrubs found out. It was one of those things where I don't know why I did the .txt file at the time, but I was compelled to do it anyway. I called it 'Technic Pack' on account of all the technical mods included.
Yogscast (Yee Olde Goon Squad = YOGS) was still closer to Something Awful at the time and were wildly popular on Youtube with their Minecraft Let's Play series and Lewis happened to grab the .zip file I made and whoops, made a Let's Play series with far more people that the SA Minecraft thread. Suddenly that .zip file I uploaded didn't have 3 downloads, it had 30,000. Then 60,000, then 120,000, etc. I went "UHHH" and quickly found new hosting as, of course, the .zip got DMCA'd by someone, slapped together a website and leaned into the "hehe gently caress u modding community we're """""pirates""""" now!" because that .txt file I included was also in the .zip that hundreds of thousands of people now had. The popularity kept building, and people much smarter than me started just kinda showing up and going "hey saw your technicpack that's cool you need a better website/art/playtester" and we just kinda formed up as a loose group then became friends and business partners and refined what we are doing which eventually lead to getting MUCH more sophisticated with mods and mod packs in Minecraft modding.
https://www.technicpack.net is where we eventually ended up :toot:
We never have taken donations or accepted money from anyone, we only did ads. We also were very clear where the mods came from and who made them, we never claimed ownership. I couldn't tell you how much of what we did shifted the Minecraft modding community but I'd hazard a guess and say pretty significantly since the old ways of mods on the Minecraft forums is dead, it's all modpacks now. It would have happened anyway probably, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time AND be the sort of person that doesn't want the weirdo fiefdoms and popularity or be a streamer star or whatever, I was a comparatively old man vs. the rest of the community at the time, now I'm just an old man. Right place, right time, me going "gently caress U IDIOTS", others smarter and better than I going "lol yeah gently caress u idiots" and just ignoring the Arthmoors (FlowerChild with Better Than Wolves was absolutely the Arthmoor of Minecraft modding at the time) and also not running from DMCAs. When you get a DMCA you can go "Hello yes I have received the DMCA I now implore the person filing it to take me to court" and then the DMCAs just go away because nobody ever puts up? They always shut up instead? It's true.
The end user, the players, get to decide what lives and dies. If they don't like your poo poo, they'll download some other mod. The individual being the mod doesn't matter nearly as much. This is now where Skyrim modding has finally clawed to, ease of use, open and free modding, self improvement. There is plenty of fiefdom and celebrity parasocial stuff even then so everyone can win!

TLDR: Made a .zip file one time and called it 'Technic Pack' for Minecraft and rode that into a very lucrative career for my friends and I all because we told would-be arthmoors that end-users are more important than they are.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GunnerJ posted:

I've gotten into writing mods for other games and a lot about the Arthmoor style of engagement as a mod author is now very mysterious to me. Like you can honestly just say "I don't have capacity to support old versions, sorry." That's it! You don't owe anyone more time than you have, you can just ignore stuff! This is just a hobby!

It's because you aren't an insecure fiefdom seeking weirdo like that guy

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tankbuster posted:

Skyrim hasn't crawled to that. It has been there for a while but the entire jenga tower is built off arthmoor's closed source black box "fixes" mod. With starfield nexus stepped in to never allow that poo poo to happen in the first place.

Right, but the ultimate point is eventually arthmoor types get excised from communities because he sucks and I'm glad his contributions to Starfield, whatever they may be, will have justified skepticism.
There is no place for scrubs like him and glad that more people see it the same way.

VostokProgram posted:

what is parlor style

It's in the name. Parlor is a bunch of people making little separate parlors with their own rules. Cathedral is everyone building a single giant magnificent cathedral with the shared idea of everyone contributes to the greater good. Since how games are played is you have a single game at any one time modding any game is always better than cathedral since the gameplay experience you have is a single, grand, intoxicating innocence experience.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 31, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

queeb posted:

vanilla perks are so boring though, starfield has the same problem, enairim at least gives you cool stuff on level up

I know this isn't the Starfield thread but it mirrors other Bethesda games so well. Same poo poo in Starfield, bullet sponges and boring-rear end skills. There is a ton of mods already for Starfield, the two I quite like are a couple that make combat much more lethal for both NPCs and the player themselves, feels more like STALKER. A nice side effect is now I can use whatever weapon I want and take into account how they feel, reload, recoil, and other factors rather than raw damage output in dealing with the enemies I'm going to be trading blows with for a half hour since we both have 1000 hit points. It also now makes the armor system more dynamic because the protections they offer on the weapon types mean more than before. However in doing so you also invalidate all the weapon perks because they are centered around increasing the % of damage with pistols or rifles or whatever, who cares when all weapons are deadly. 10% of damage increase on pistols woopty fuckin' do.

Mods will fix this, but drat does it make Bethesda just seem unable to innovate at all.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I don't buy the DMCA argument alone because you can just file a counter claim and go "ok, sue me". Arthmoor wouldn't actually push forward past that point.

It's gotta be more than that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Jimbot posted:

Gonna break all the mods everyone got and installed over the years so they can sell you mods. I fricking love this industry. The next Elder Scrolls game is going to be hot garbage isn't it. Gonna make ubisoft's naked cash grab store look subtle by comparison.

Every hundred bounties you do you get 1 bethbuck towards an armor set from the store. They cost 10k bethbucks each. That's 20 dollars.

I'm thinking this as well.

It's impossible for Bethesda to pull themselves out of whatever tailspin Starfield has put them in, it's clear they are incapable of creating compelling stories nor learn from when they fail to do so.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rinkles posted:

I see your initial enthusiasm for Starfield has cooled.

I honestly was enjoying myself for a long while, but then little things started to bubble up, then I played BG3 (I intentionally avoided it to start JUST because everyone was saying it was so good till after I played Starfield) and then the whole thing just felt very juvenile in the sense of writing and story beats. Then I placated myself with the idea of mods fixing it, but if there isn't the initial fervor for it like Skyrim or Oblivion or Morrowind then it isn't going to get the attention. We still don't have a creation kit, Bethesda has gone 'well actually' about people's criticism of the game and then they joke won a Steam award and thought it was legit. They aren't self aware, they take themselves too seriously and they have no idea how to write compelling things. Plus they INSIST on trying to double and triple dip and try to monetize mods themselves which kneecap the entire enterprise and cuts off the whole reason mods were compelling: People couldn't help themselves but create things for a game they loved and Bethesda won because their game stayed popular and they sold more copies. Adding financial aspects to the modding community flips that all on its head and poisons the entire well.

The Bethesda that made Skyrim doesn't exist anymore, isn't in a position to fall into success like before and is far too corporate now.

Edit
That is to say Starfleid isn't a bad game, it's mid as heck. It's just absolutely not going to get better either via Bethesda themselves or mods.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Now if this technology got into the wild, it could be a game changer. People who can actually write plot and dialogue could do so and the AI could voice it all. You could one day see a mod that gives you a civil war questline that's actually complete and good and fully voiced. But very possibly you'd have to know where to look for it because of legal issues.

It is out in the wild though? Elevenlabs is most likely what these mods are using, but there are plenty of open source options out there. I think there is even a framework for Skyrim AI voice acting directly on the Nexus right now though I don't recall what it's called. It used to exist anyway, maybe controversy killed it.

Since you have all the voice lines in Skyrim already it's extremely easy to train a model on those clips then make them say absolutely anything you want them to say.

We are far past the point of this stuff being out in the wild.