Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

Get closer, it should pop in.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I haven't used it but my perspective has been that it's something I'd try in a pinch without expecting miracles.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Great, more poo poo to add to the OP that's at like 49,999 words :negative:

In seriousness, I want to talk a little bit about my schedule and the function of this thread. I picked up the OP-in-progress from Agents at the beginning of July and didn't actually post it until after the middle of August. That's not because I was working on it diligently over 6 weeks because it took that long. I worked on it when I could, but the major reason was that I was teaching a 6-week summer class while working on a side gig that was due in mid-August. Basically once both of those things ended I was able to turn my attention to the OP and got it up in a few days. Now the new semester has begun and I have more side gigs and two classes to teach. I can make alterations and additions to the OP but my ability to do anything more complex than that, like new guides or what have you, is pretty limited.

Fortunately, I think it's completely unnecessary to rely on a model of "one guy managing one OP." Plenty of people have stepped up with new content but they don't have to wait for me if they join the wiki and put up pages themselves. This is something that I can work on as I have time, but I don't know when that will be. Plus, there's apparently a lot of updating that needs to be done. I'll try to do a little each day, but I'm just one guy.

Also the review blog deffo still exists (I even posted on it today!), so don't hold yourself back from sending a join request if you want to write a bunch of words about how a mod sucks/owns/is misunderstood/etc. (KakerMix, I'd be cool if you were willing to write something up on your experience in the Minecraft modding scene when it comes to the kinda poo poo the blog is reacting to.)

Also: Did anyone save the text of the original "ModPicker: The Fearsome Juggernaut" post?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

<- this guy

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

y0, Noble Skyrim users: What's the performance hit like, what's your graphics card, and are you using the performance version?

ThaumPenguin posted:

Still don't know how I'm supposed to get Book of Silence to work with it.

If you're using Mod Organizer, you just put it after Noble Skyrim in your mod order list (i.e., the left panel) and it will layer itself over whatever Noble Skyrim provides, might override a few of its textures but if you don't like that you can reverse the order. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

Oh sorry, I was talking about SMC.

I have no idea how to add Book of Silence and similar mods to SMC and at this point I'm not sure I'd even want to bother finding out.

Which is where Noble Skyrim comes in.

If none of the aMidianBorn stuff is listed in SMC's menu (which is a strange oversight imo, I'm pretty sure it was an option when I last used SMC), then the same principle applies actually. SMC will give you a bigass texture pack. You can just put whatever it didn't include that you like after it in the mod order and that other stuff will take priority where appropriate.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

OK, I'm really rusty on how SMC works, what does "flagged red" mean?

Though, if you're just going to jettison SMC and use Noble Skyrim this is purely out of curiosity.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hm, iirc that means that the files weren't downloaded properly or something because it can't find them, so they need to be moved around or extracted a certain way or something...? I know that there was a way to resolve that because I had to do it a few times, but tbh I think at this point the best way to resolve it is called "installing Noble Skyrim" :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Literally the first full paragraph of the OP.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

There is at least one: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36125/

Other fix/tweak mods may fix this too. Actually I think Bug fixes might? (eta: nope)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm not too happy with how Guard Dialogue Overhaul is working out. Mostly because they're still able to magically tell that I have points in sneak or one handed or whatever and they comment on it.

One thing I noticed when I was slaving away at hand-made compatibility patches is that a number of things can override the changes GDO makes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If you put it lower, though, you still have to deal with what GDO will override.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This is something hard to diagnose without knowing what else you have installed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Section Z posted:

I've had the MO go from lots of red marks to more happy after shuffling stuff to the Left that pushing the Sort button on plugins didn't deal with, so I've been hazy on which was the "load order", such as it were. Both of those things have "Priority 7", but SPERG has a "Mod index 7", which is much more clear cut.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "red marks," but if you're talking about a lightning bolt symbol with a red minus sign, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means that one of its non-plugin assets is being overridden by another's mods. This is more or less unavoidable if you have two mods changing the same asset.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Section Z posted:

Continuing the stupid questions I am embarrassed to ask train. What does the "Priority" listing for the left list signify, then? Considering the priorities listing on the list to the left, and the plugins list to the right, don't necessarily line up even if you push that sort button.

The Mod index listing is pretty clear, at least. But then, that only shows up on the plugins list to the right anyways.

You can imagine that the left panel simulates the "install order" of the mods. When you run the game through MO, the program looks at non-plugin assets in a way that assumes that the lowest item on the list takes priority, just as if if you were installing all these mods with loose assets (i.e., not in a BSA) and the last-installed assets overwrote whatever was already in skyrim\data (without actually, like, overwriting any actual files). Alternately, you can think of it as being like plugin load order for assets: just as the last-loaded plugin's records override the others, the last-loaded mod's external assets override any others. This is useful for when you decide that you want some specific assets to override a most general set of assets, like textures or something. It's also how you handle mod instructions that specify "install order" with respect to other mods.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Updated the OP to include (most critically) Siets' excellent ENB guide and nearly all the mod suggestions made itt since the last update because they all looked solid. Going forward I'm going to have to start trying to reorganizing things a lot because the first post has literally 82 characters to spare and the second is filling up. I'm thinking of subcategorizing the "Minor Overhauls" section more so I can shift things to the second post more cleanly. And also cannibalizing the fourth reply to make still more room. The most major next update will be moving some of the guide info to the wiki and also including links to more wiki-hosted guides under the "Before You Mod" section, which should free up a few thousand characters.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Also did someone send me a join request for the wiki shortly before I posted the OP? I have a request from someone but it looks like a real name so I don't just want to say who.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Goon luck.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Any way I could think of fixing it requires actually changing the mod in the CK because it sounds like a scripting issue. The easiest would be to put a floor check in the debuff function ("if the final value is negative, set to 1"), assuming that's how it works.

Frostfall's Nexus page may have a list of known issues or someone may have mentioned it in the discussion thread for it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Anyone know the basis of Sony's objection to modding "where users can do anything they want" with the game? It seems like some kind of liability concern.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Hi. I'm playing Skyrim for the second time in my life, and the first time I'm actually going to be modding it seriously.

I read the OP and understood it well. My question is, should I follow the STEP list of what mods to add, or should I follow OP's recommendations? Is there an even better list? (I'm not sure if GEMS is a list or just a collection)

Everything in the OP and in STEP is a suggestion. Some parts are more urgently advised suggestions but like others have said, you have to use some of your own judgement. I'll echo what someone else suggested about figuring out what it is about vanilla Skyrim you'd like to change up first, except that there are a good number of mods that are just worth having to make up for shortfalls in the base game. The "Mandatory" and "Quality of Life" sections in the OP probably give you a strong base of an improved game to build from, and the first few parts of STEP are worth following along for the same reason. There's a lot of overlap between the OP and STEP because I am a STEP fanboy. However, when STEP starts advising all sorts of graphics mods is about where I check out because it wants you to install replacers for a thousand and one different things and fffffuck that tedious poo poo.

You also asked about "other stuff to do" when it comes to modding and the next bit of effort I'm going to put into the OP will be about that. One thing to do is make some kind of conflict resolution patch. The third post (eta: in the section with the title "Non-Conflicting Overrides") has some info on different kinds of patch (merged, bashed, or smashed) that you'll want to read.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 10, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Foxhound posted:

Just pick what you think looks cool. Make a game, do the tutorial/opening, make a save, back it up. Then just add poo poo that you think you will use in your first run or looks fun. See if it crashes and if it doesn't just stick more stuff in there.

Eh, there's no real need to do this "clean save" stuff if you use an alternate start mod because you can skip the intro/tutorial and be in the game in under a minute with those. Plus, I am pretty sure there are a few mods out there that need to start with the game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah I'd figured the guide is solid when it comes to graphics, I just never had the patience for going much further with it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

There's really no reason not to get the HRDLC. Just as long as it's high in your mod order list, anything else you install will override its textures and anything that never gets overridden will be at least as good as the HRDLC. If that makes sense.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I think so. If I were to install HRDLC, then install, say Noble Skyrim, and place it above HRDLC, then all the corresponding textures from NS would override those from HRDLC, and whatever NS doesn't cover will look to HRDLC. (Or maybe I've got that backwards)

You've got it right. And HRDLC is sure as hell better than what it replaces.

quote:

Regarding USLEEP and the Crash and Bug Fixes listed in the OP, can I install those all with Mod Organizer?

Yep. More or less everything listed as some kind of mod in the OP (as opposed to a modding tool or other software) can be installed through MO unless there are special install instructions, in which case it's probably not really a mod per se.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Seems interesting but this does not seem particularly well thought out:

quote:

Think you can enter a cave, awake a snow bear and just run like hell? Think twice. Enemies will now follow you everywhere, in some cases if you make a Draugr angry enough he'll chase you to the death outside his barrow! Be more careful next time you want to loot a cave. Once you've played the mod a bit you'll realize why Bethesda didn't enable this feature since the beginning: you can easily wreak havok EVERYWHERE you go, by leading a pack of trolls right into a tavern or Draugr Deathlords into towns.

Like, I'm pretty sure most of these things would give chase but then give up after a while. A bear doesn't need to follow you into a goddamn city just because you woke it up. Retreat should be a viable option.

eta: Wait a sec. Here's the mod's FAQ on surviving early levels...

quote:

- RUN! If you can't win a fight even though you're using everything at your disposal flee away and come back when you're stronger.

But... but... :psyduck:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 11, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Originally there was more in that guide about not swapping ENBs due to their plugins. This was because the author was thinking of how a number of ENBs do have plugins for compatibility with lighting or weather mod, although it was pointed out that not all do. So that bit might be leftover from the prior info.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

On the other hand, the more I add mods that give me ~wonderful toys~ (Thunderchild, Apocalypse, etc...) the more I tend to gravitate towards those silly hardcore mods that make enemies massive HP sponges with ridiculous damage output because really: why would you cast beacon that will cause massive damage to everyone too close to in 10 seconds, a curse that is harmless but will explode if cursed target takes frost damage, spell that will cause frost damage if its target is staggered or knocked and then use unrelenting shout to precisely knock the whole group of bandits into beacon just as it explodes, setting up super wombo-combo that does MILLION BILLION damage, when realistically, every non-boss, non-dragon enemy dies to 5 firebolts and every enemy group to 3 fireballs? Same for defensive spells/abilities when you wear fully enhanced and improved daedric armor and nothing can really touch you anyway.

Adding 700 cool and exciting spells and abilities, only to realize that there is no point in using 698 of them outside of novelty sake feels bad.

I'm generally a fan of increasing difficulty for the same reason, on top of just that Skyrim is too easy to begin with. Doing so in a way that's not tedious or frustrating is the trick. There's also the tricky issue of power curves: it's easier to make the game hard in the beginning than in the middle and onward.

When the advice section on surviving past level 1 says you should spend a whole shitload of time hitting training dummies, that's when I check out. I'd rather just skip that step, thanks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

bloodclot posted:

Not to begrudge the effort put into the OP,

On my phone but just wanna say, this isn't the Nexus so you don't have to apologize before giving negative feedback. :v: It's useful. I'll look into this more later.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Brodual put up a video about their visual mod list that's pretty interesting. Some items on there I hadn't heard of that I'll want to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwc8GuLHV94

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The thing to check if you can is whether the mod uses persistent scripts. But this isn't necessarily obvious or easy to figure out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Foxhound posted:

Hmm, well I can't find any scripts since there is no scripts folder in Skyrim/Data and I can't find any in MO. Do they go somewhere else if you use MO?

MO has a separate folder for each mod's game files. You can also use one of the views on the right side of its window to look at all the assets added by mods and also right click on a mod to look at this in its properties.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Skyrim at base mirrors all VRAM usage to RAM, so limits to RAM are basically the same as limits to VRAM.

Windows 10 hard OS-locks DX9 apps to use no more than 4 GB. There is no way of circumventing this apparently.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Section Z posted:

Dumb question, what do I do make Smart Souls not throw up a "Hey there's poo poo in your overwrite folder, you should take care of that" according to the Mod Organizer? (Or do I just not have to worry about that).

Smart souls only has a manual download on the nexus, and the instructions are to just dump the file into the folder and it will create the ini on launch. But then the Mod organizer complains "There's something in the overwrite folder, move it to the proper mod or something".

Some passing google searches generally turn up results suggesting to... Move it to the Smartsouls folder/"Move it to the mod". Which isn't a thing, because the instructions are to just dump the file into the game Installation directory's data\SKSE\plugins folder directly, therefore no mod folder :confused:

EDIT: Restarting the MO actually made the mentioned overwrite folder turn up on the mod listing (I was previously wondering what the hell to right click, for it's internal suggestions).

So hopefully, the obvious in hindsight right click to create a MO mod for it by hand works out. I'm still super early, and I need to try and get some sleep anyways. So it will be a while before I get to find out if it still starts shoving petty souls into grand gems.

Nothing about this makes any sense to me. Overwrite is where any files created by any process MO runs get dumped. Unless you downloaded Smart Souls to overwrite I don't see why this would happen, and there's no reason to do this. Just download it somewhere you normally put downloads. MO has a "manual install" button that will let you browse to the mod's archive.

eta: I just read the post below, and yeah, if Smart Souls generates its own ini, that's what's getting dumped in overwrite and you can just copy it to Smart Souls' folder.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 19, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This is tearing the Skyrim Modding Thread apart!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

So I installed SPERG, but I'm not clear on the instructions in the OP about moving the .ini and add-on patches. My assumption is that I move it to the main SKSE folder, but I admit that I installed Mod Organizer under Program Files X86 (I had already installed before I read about it in the OP), so it doesn't show up there. I actually installed SKSE via the Steam Client, so I'm not sure how that works out either. As for the add-on patches, I assume they just have to be moved outside the folder.

Should I uninstall everything and reinstall Mod Organizer in the main Skyrim folder? I've already downloaded about fifteen mods, along with USLEEP and the fixes, but I haven't actually started playing the game yet.

That part was written by Agents are Go, so he'd need to clarify it. I don't really understand a lot of the rest of what you're talking about though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

:sigh: Why does there always have to be some motherfucker chiming in with this?

Hey, I resemble that remark!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What do you dislike about STEP? I'm not here to defend my sempai's honor or anything, just curious.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Twincityhacker posted:

Would this apply to any folder called Program Files, or things like E:/Program Files, or only to C:/Program Files? I am guessing only the latest applies, but since I am busing nuking my old Skyrim installl, I'd find out if there was more of a problem than I thought. ( It's currently in E:/Program Files, btw )

It would apply to any folders Windows sets up as a location for program data (so by default C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86)) when it installs because it sets ownership of those folders to a system account as a security measure. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah I'm a fan of STEP as a resource but the actual mod list gets a little bit much for me past the "here's some basic improvements" phase. Up to that point it is a really good guide for getting started in modding.