Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
What is the current opinion of PerMa? I watched some review videos but they are pretty old and meanwhile it looks like the mod has been updated until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

does nothing that other mods haven't done better

Which mods do the same things better?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

docbeard posted:

The most often-cited perk mods in this thread are Ordinator and SPERG.

SPERG is what you want if you want your perks to be kind of like vanilla, but better. (One of the big things it does is gives you a bunch of "this should really just be baked into the skill" perks for free at various skill milestones.) Also you can get an animal companion.

Ordinator is what you want if you want more interesting (sometimes gimmicky) stuff. It tends to favor more specialized builds. Also you can build a dwarven artillery gun.

They're both good. And there's a patch that merges them together if you want. They also both have Special Edition versions (though apparently the SPERG SE port is a bit fiddly and not 100% functional. I don't use SE so I don't really know details, that's just going off what I heard.)

I've used SPERG several times and it was an improvement over vanilla but it didn't really do much to address my disappointment with the shallowness of progression in combat abilities (and that's not a knock to it, I don't think it was trying to address that specifically). I'll take a look at Ordinator. Requiem looks like it has the potential to make the progression something enjoyable to me, or it could just make it worse.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Ordinator is very good, I have changed from SPERG to all of Enai's mods (six total?) and have been pretty happy with it thus far.

I do think I'll try running the SPERG/Ordinator patch just because I like both mods so much, and the concept of what SPERG does combined with how interesting Ordinator perks are is a good idea.

Seconding Requiem being a bit too obtuse for Skyrim engine/game systems. It is a large and impressive undertaking, but not enjoyable to play (at least the first 25 levels or so, I never really get further than that since you always end up "god like" regardless of overhaul mods)

Fixing the levels of enemies seems in principle like it would be fun because you'd be able to do stuff like strategically go after weaker enemies at lower levels, judge how tough enemies are by what kind of thing they are, and eventually get (permanently) stronger than particular enemy types. That kind of progression is at least fun in other RPGs. Is the start of the game just too much of a grind as a result of the way this is implemented?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Gyshall posted:

It doesn't have anything to do with level or "zone" scaling, and in fact I'm using Static PermaZones together with the SKSE plugin that lets enemies continue scaling right now. The problem with Requiem is that the lower levels (until about 12-15), the player is extremely weak and you end up having to result to cheese to actually level up and get past it.

I think the big downside to Requiem is that the inspiration for it is old games like Baldur's Gate et el that really don't translate well to Skyrim's game systems/engine, and that is the problem.

What are the good static level mods? I didn't see any in the OP.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Should I be using the MO from the nexus page or one of the not-yet-released versions from github?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Somehow I managed to make my perk tree names in game hex numbers (maybe they are meant to be colors?). Are the various strings in the perk tree diagnosable using just like xedit, or is it some fancy resource thing?

e: this fixed it: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/955584-fffffff-perk-names/

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 12, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

A Magical Lamp posted:

I really love Requiem and it caught a lot of flak so I'll chime in saying give it a go. It suffers heavily from poor documentation which is the reason for a lot of the hate but it's a hell of a lot more balanced than SPERG, at least in the state it was in when I switched from it. You do need to play by its rules though, you can't treat it like vanilla. If that's not what you're looking for Ordinator is what I'd be using.

I'm using Ordinator at the moment and it's pretty good. I like the perks a lot better than Vanilla. I may see if I can finally get the MO profile/backup feature to work right and have a foray into Requiem.

On a related note I'm enjoying EnaiSiaion's combat mod, Wildcat. With the "realistic damage" setting combat is so quick and dirty, can't tell if I like it or not. It's a bit like the Warband mod cRPG, when you're starting out at a low level and you just get one-shotted all over the place but it seems fair because when you get lucky you one shot the other guy.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Does anyone have a good way to set up an arena type scenario in Skyrim to test combat mods? All I can think of is spawning enemies from the console with ids from the wiki.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Another question: Is there any way to disable the shaky/blurry effect that you get when you block an attack? It really annoys me because I like to block and my screen is just forever shaking and blurry.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Simon The Digger posted:

So, this is my first time playing Skyrim on PC with mods, and even after installing a shitload of them (One hundred and eighty two, by Mod Organizer's count) my game has been incredibly stable. I've only ever had to remove one mod because it was giving me CTDs and that was one that added a Fallout 4-style quick loot menu when you looked at/moused over containers (if the container held too many items, surprise, you get a crash!) However, there is one bug I'm having that I cannot seem to figure out how to fix, and it's the infamous grey face bug. It only seems to affect Redguard NPCs, and even then only some of them (Like Brenuin the beggar and the mercenary guy in Whiterun). I looked up Brenuin's base ID in TES5Edit and the only thing that modifies his record at all is USLEEP, so I don't know why he'd be having the grey face problem. Here's my Modwatch mod list. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Crash Fixes (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/) fixed the CTDs from Quick Loot for me, and I'd recommend trying it out because after playing with Quick Loot I find it's beyond tedious to go back to the old style.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Maybe stang is idiosyncratic in whichever low-brow area these bandits come from.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Does anyone know what could cause the vampire lord (idle?) animations to bug out so that you are stuck in flying mode and unable to raise/lower your hands or use your vampires spells? In my current game I'm stuck like this every time I transform (ever since I transformed the first time in that initial quest bit). I have Enhanced Camera, Customizable Camera, and Archery Gameplay Overhaul (replaces some bow-related animations), which each seem like plausible sources of problems but I can't find anyone else online reporting issues with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

When I can't find my kid he's usually pulling all the stuff out of a cupboard, hope this helps.