Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I may be the last person to notice this but the Skyrim werewolf

is the exact same as

the Blood Omen wolf form :aaa:

I'm too lazy to make a gif of the attacks, but they're also the same!

edit: also sorry for my lovely gif making skills but i just had to get it out of my system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Mr. Crow posted:

I mean how many ways can a bipedal creature run with arms and legs, it's not exactly unique to blood omen....

Yeah that sounds plausible. Really though it was the attack animations that caught my eye.

Again, apologies for my sub par gif making skills. It might be easier to tell from watching a video like this one (at around 2:08) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXqdB2hbyH4&t=128s. I mean, the way it swings its arms, the long fur mane, the coloring, and the super thin build all look exactly like the Skyrim werewolf form.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

graynull posted:

I wish they had also modeled their voice acting off of those games.

After hearing "Manadnach" and "Toldir" and the orc male VA say "Son of a..." like he has never spoken English before, I just wish they did more than one take :v:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So I'm having this weird issue with Ordinator and Summermyst.

Ord has the rad resto perk False Light, which makes the rad Heal enchant do damage to enemies. But when I combine Heal with the Power Surge enchant and False Light, PS won't proc on anyone except followers. I've even hosed around with things to get a 4000% chance to proc and it just won't do it. With PS + a damage/utility enchant it works fine, even with False Light, but something about the perk changing the way Heal functions fucks up PS unless I remove the perk. Any ideas?

Also you should add the argonian raptor feet mod to the OP because it's very important.

edit: ugh. Upon further testing, with the False Light perk and any combo of Heal and a damaging or utility enchant, the damage/utility enchant is totally backwards. Heal + Lingering Fire causes the lingering fire to heal bad guys :v:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 19, 2018

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Does anyone know if there's a way to make lights like fires and candlelight and stuff produce more light? I have my nights set to really dark, but fires, while bright enough to see from far away, don't produce any light past a 2ft radius. It would be really fine if I could navigate to a light source without hitting a rock or falling off a cliff or whatever.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Internet Kraken posted:

When Brynjolf tries to approach you about his stupid Thieves Guild you can't even fight him. I knew he wouldn't die but I thought I could at least knock the dumb bastard unconscious so he leaves me alone, but he's straight up invincible.

Goddamn Riften sucks.

Just cancel out of conversations with the shittier people who come up to you. Brynjolf, Ancano, etc. And also you should shoulder-check them on you're way out, just to make your point that much more clear :fuckoff:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Eric the Mauve posted:

that utterly insignificant dude in Morthal

"Uncle Ben" Benor? He's a follower, if that's who you're referring to.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

If you have Apocalypse, Entomb is a fun way to get rid of Grelod. Did she have to be killed by a swarm of mudcrabs? No. But was she killed by a swarm of mudcrabs? Yeah. She was.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

"Grelod was bad and I'm the Holy Ghost so you can't arrest me wooooooOOOOOOoooooooo"

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

This is part of my SSE set up now so I don't know why you're waiting around not using SSE.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What are some fun Ordinator builds? I've mostly played with SPERG before now, usually magic-heavy, so I was thinking sword and board with heavy armour and Thunderchild shouts but at a quick glance the perks don't look too exciting so all of a sudden im thinking of adding some sneaking and ranged abilities and we all know where this is going

tl;dr: Resto +Alt + Ench spell sword. Dumping stats into Magicka if you're a badass like me. Non-Destruction damage spell sword.

So first, the most important parts of the build are having CCO, Summermyst, and Apocalypse (and the raptor feet and BAT mods if you play an argonian, which you totally should, and you should also have all different colors on your argonians face and have Rainbow somewhere in his or her name.) Dumping all stats into magicka makes your spells take care of all offense and defense for you. Focus on getting the Tree Rings and Ocato's Recital spells, the Spirit Tutors perk, and the enchants Heal and Power Surge above all else.

Alteration is great for traveling spells and perks, and also your spell sword extras. Home Mythal + Dimension Door are awesome when you have a good permanent place for crafting and storage. You'll naturally want to get your spell sword perks, also the passive boots to magicka and resistances. Vancian Magic is interesting and still makes use of your magicka pool, even if it makes casting free.

Restoration is your damage and survivability. False Light is what I use, and with that branch and the Spirit Tutor branch you'll have exceptionally powerful offensive spells. Heal Other will be the majority of your damage. Tree Rings is your major survivability so make sure to keep it up in long fights. The duration will increase in your magic effects menu, but it will always last 30 seconds.

Enchanting is where you'll get buffs and Spellscribe. Make weapons with either Heal + nothing else, or Power Surge + anything but Heal. Reason being, False Light will let you deal out tons of damage from Heal (like 500k mid game), but will also reverse any other effect you combine with Heal. Heal + damage will turn into damage + healing on enemies, Heal + %effect will become damage + -%effect on enemies. Power Surge works best with Power of Knowledge and is typically what I use.

Everything else is to taste. Power Surge plus Apotheosis is hilariously powerful when combined with the Crusader stuff on the branch to the right. Add Spellscribe with Repel Undead and you trivialize fights with undead by way of burning them to ash while they run from you. The DoTs and buffs/debuffs scale with resto, again making stat dumping into your blue bar a worthwhile choice. Alchemy is pretty op, and will make you a god, so avoid it.

Stay safe, marsh friend.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Drythe posted:

I found this dude on Nexus, now I am going to make my Skyrim the most anime battles ever

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/1034867?tab=user+files

No loving joke I had a fever dream about something like this only a week ago.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Another fun thing with Ordinator and Apocalypse is again with Alteration.

1) Power of Knowledge lets you cast the spell in your offhand as a power for free once per day.

2) Power Surge can activate that power for free on hit.

3) The spell counts as a one handed spell! Which means it activates your spell blade perks from the Alteration tree!

4) Vancian Magic can boost those spells as well, if you use the damage metamagic.

All this adds a bit of spell power to two-handed (which has the Voice of Rage and Ruin perk, adding a small chance to fire off your equipped power,) dual wielding, and even bow spell "blades" (archery has Lion's Arrow, which is the bow equivalent of Spellscribe.). You'd have to be closer than normal for bows to make the best use of those Alteration perks, but it might be incentive to break away from stealth archery, were you feeling brave (maybe Heavy Armor + Archery + buff auras from Illusion. Dropping flags, damage auras, Alteration debuffs, chilling with friends on the front line, coldly executing people with a crossbow.)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Yeah there's a lot of really fun tools in Ord that combine well with Summermyst, especially with Power Surge and the shout enchants. I was just messing around with a "puddle" build, picking up the Elemental Oil perks from alchemy, combining it with burning ground effect enchantments, a spellscribed spell like fireball or some other AoE to set off the oil, and you end up with a character that uses ground hazards to deal with many enemies at once.

Just lots of things to try.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Drythe posted:

This guy has some cool monsters

and then I clicked the link and the first row of monsters was ducks and seagulls :v:

I wish some of those mods could transfer over to SE. I'm sure there's a way but I haven't figured it out yet. Having Nemesis chase me around sounds like it would own

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Drythe posted:

Good news! There's a drop down you can use to switch to SSE, which he has ported most of his monsters over to.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13294

Also speaking of ducks and seagulls, all my birds are just dead. I went to Whiterun and there was just like, fifty dead cardinals in the trading area.

Rad.

edit: Rad!

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 24, 2018

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So I've been playing around with a new build and I feel like it's pretty fun. It's a staff and scroll artificer type, and it goes something like this:

I'm running Ord, Summermyst, Argonian Raptor Feet, and Apocalypse, as it is meet and right so to do. I also have a mod called Magical College of Winterhold, which makes this build much easier, but some may find it OP or whatever. With this mod you get access to easy staff and scroll crafting, the former becoming available after you finish the college questline, or whenever you have the opportunity to go into the Archmage's Quarters. Also, the Arcanaeum has books that you can "study" to get a 20% buff to one school for a few hours, as well as a 20% buff to exp of one school. The exp buff ends up being lost on this build, because staves don't really increase magic skills in any appreciable way. Also I use CCO because I find it cool and fun, but it's up to you. Something else that changes how you play is Know Your Enemy if you use that mod, you end up needing to keep multiple staves on you to deal with some specific enemies, which I like for variety's sake. Everything else is to taste. Argonian racial tweaks, bigger argonian tails, and better argonian eyes are highly recommended.

So with CCO I focused my main 3 skills on Enchanting, Smithing, and Alchemy, while my minor skills were Alteration, Lockpicking, and Speech. It seems like it would be just as OP as ever, but here's the catch: you a) don't enchant your own gear and b) avoid the entire right half of the enchanting tree. You find* and quest for your gear, and the build itself when played that way makes a lot of your quest rewards genuinely valuable. On a regular play-through I end up shelving most of my quest stuff because I can craft stuff that's useful instead. With this build I keep using those rewards because they're typically better than what I find (mostly.)

The enchanting tree is where you get your scroll and staff buffs, which end up being huge. Charge Tap is a pretty good survival power, especially if you can get your hands on some items with the enchant that recharges your weapons to the point that they were equipped at. Said enchant also makes the Heart of the Sun perk less unwieldy, giving you a lot more standing power in long fights, as well as better flow between many smaller fights.

Alchemy usually sends one way past the line between powerful and overpowered. Your gear will end up being pretty standard, being enchanted with one enchant, so potions end up being useful, not overpowering, not always necessary, but definitely helpful. It smooths out your damage and survivability, since your gear is probably not going to be what you're used to. I use Weightless to let me keep all of my ingredients on me, giving me some adaptability, and spending less time heading to my home to get the right stuff. I should also mention that I have a mod that adds a mortar and pestle as a miscellaneous item that acts as a traveling alchemy table. I just can't remember what it's called.

I use smithing because I wear armor, but feel free to change it out for something else.

Lockpicking has a branch on the left side that gives you the ability to gently caress with dwemer robuts, which is huge because they can be real bastards.

Speech because you'll be spending a lot of money. A LOT of money. That's the other nice thing about the build; instead of ending up with a poo poo ton of bux you rarely go past a very small amount (20k or so,) which makes money worth something. I avoided the other branches because I don't feel like being a shoutist or a bard or some kind of animal wrangler.

I took Alteration because the leftish branch of the tree has a weird gold-making passive, lockpicking tomfoolery, paralysis shenanigans, and Home Mythal/Dimension door, which makes traveling to the college (where you'll spend a lot of time) much easier. Worth mentioning is that I don't fast travel, so I guess if you do then you don't have to worry about it. Also the spell blade perks apply to your spells if you do one-handed and staff (which I do.) I took the Vancian Magic branch since I don't need magicka anyway, and more potency from the metamagic perk is good.

So yeah, there's some wiggle room for skills, but the main idea is that you find your own gear, use the stuff you find, and generally stick to an artificer/crafty flavor of mage. There are, however, some cons...

1) It's high maintenance. You'll be doing a lot of crafting of scrolls, buying of scrolls, buying spell tomes to turn into scrolls (with the MCoW mod,) selling poo poo so that you can buy more scrolls, buying tomes and using them so that you can craft a staff with the spell you learn, and spending money on training to improve your staves and scrolls.

2) You are at the mercy of our capricious gods of random loot. Most stuff, like the sweet sweet weapon recharge and potion duration items are low level so they are found easily. Some other ones though can be elusive (good boots, hats, jewelry specifically.) Related to this is why I don't use cloth. Cloth gloves with enchants are few, same with boots. Cloth hats are a little more varied, with circlets having skill boosts and such.

3) This is where the * comes in. You suffer from chronic clown suit, unless you're like me and you cheat a bit. Say I find a pair of heavy gloves with 20% increased one-handed damage, but I specialize in cloth or light armor. I'll break it down into the actual enchant, find a pair of gloves that goes with my pretty outfit and skill/perk choice, and gently caress around with my 'player.setav enchanting' until I can craft something with the same magnitude. You do end up with things that don't normally drop (cloth gloves with good enchants,) but honestly I don't think anyone will lose sleep over it.

4) If you have the Know Your Enemy mod, the game slows way down. You enter your favorites menu a lot, and have to keep a lot of weight dedicated to multiple staves. Speaking of...

5) You'll want to increase your carry weight, since staves weigh 8 lb each. I use a mod that lowers the weight of scrolls to 0.1, but if you don't, those are 0.5 each.

I think that's it. Again, feel free to deviate, maybe into focusing on actual magic schools and being a staff/scroll super-gal, or into stealth to be a sneaky demolition guy. Also, the SSE Monster mods can hurl even more obstacles at you, if you're feeling Brave.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 22, 2018

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

My understanding is that people in general hate the favorites menu, so I can understand that it's not for everyone. I mostly just like how it's changed combat around for me.

To add to the build, I did some experimenting and it turns out that school skill level doesn't up the damage of staves, but it does help with scrolls. I didn't know that, and I'm sure it's been common knowledge for a good while now, but there may be someone out there who's just as oblivious as me :v:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

That looks pretty cool. I'm downloading it now, and looking forward to ruining the lives of any dark elves I come across .

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Yeah I've deactivated it. I don't recommend running it until you're ready to get locked into a "cinematic" for a while.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I used Entombed on Grelod the Kind again, and this time re-summoned her in front of a Dwarven Centurion.

edit: she got scared and ran, but then got killed.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

A reading, from the most :3: mod in the game

a super cute cute posted:

8) Text Fix: "Catch" becomes "Catch and Kill". When I first saw a butterfly in-game, I was delighted, so tried to pick it up as given the option to "Catch Butterfly". I was then horrified when I saw I had killed the butterfly and now had a butterfly wing in my inventory. This tiny mod simply changes the text from "Catch" to "Catch and Kill" as a warning to players.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Maybe there's a way to make butterflies act like mineral nodes. Harvest the butterfly for some item that replaces the wing ingredient, sunshine or kisses or something.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Agents are GO! posted:

That was why I wanted to make one-winged butterfly models. :D

No wings, just some kind of dwemer jet pack. After enough wings, a big butterfly spawns and chases you around with a knife like a tonberry.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

God drat it. I wish I was better at modding. I was just trying to figure out how to put a jetpack on a butterfly and my eyes just crossed and I fell asleep.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I just figured out that making, uh, impure(?) poisons with buffs on them last 15 times longer when used in conjunction with Ord's Lab Skeever perk. Do I need a lingering damage poison that lasts 22 minutes and fortifies the enemy's pickpocket skill? No*. Do I want a lingering damage poison that lasts 22 minutes and fortifies the enemy's pickpocket skill? Yes. I just need to figure out how to make it work in a practical way :v:

*Yes

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Nasgate posted:

I was going to suggest Sassy Teen Girls, because I had fun with the silly characters and the fact that they all tell you to not get so close/be a creep. But apparently it's no longer on the Nexus?

I'm sure it was available in the past for SE because I downloaded it and the Adopt Helgi mod so I could let the skeleton teen and ghost daughter hang out and enjoy each others company. I removed it though when I found out that the sassy teens were marriage options D:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Jan posted:

I could always plug my oldrim mod, Discreet Poisoned Perk. The baseline implementation of the poisoned perk makes you charged with a crime even if you reverse pickpocket a poison completely unseen, which completely defeats the purpose. At least this tries to break that crime chain. :v:

Haven't uploaded it to Nexus because :effort:, guess I could revisit it for SSE now that I'm down that rabbit hole again...

I'll be your first download because if anyone needs to get a Fear poison stuck on them for a million hours, its Maven Blackbriar and her little toad son.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Nasgate posted:

I too installed it for SE and there's multiple translations still up that link to the original page with is missing. Also I recall the mod specifically marking them as non-marriageable, so maybe you had a companion mod that messed with that? Imo that modder could've done great waifu mods if he wanted, the custom faces actually looked like human faces which is part of why I liked it. That and having a giant redhead smash things.

Sorry compadre, they have dialogue for marriage and everything :(

Though maybe I just downloaded the wrong version of the mod...

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I think the idea is that once you start progressing through the quest you obviously want to follow where it leads. You don't have anything keeping you from whipping out a spell while you're in the mine and trashing people on your way back to town, so you can derail the whole thing whenever you want. And with the Companions, you can just not drink dirty wolf blood, and the rationale could easily be, "okay so the companions are dorky werewolves so why would I hang out with them in the first place?" You peace out and that's it.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Oh drat I never noticed that one of the radiant quests for the college was Tolfdir sending you out on a hit-job. Cold-heart mother fucker.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I had no idea how much I needed this

Mudcrabs Khorn's Berzerker

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Average Bear posted:

Is there a mod yet to make the game not a dull boring grey chore

I don't know if you mean grey in a visual sense or not, but if you're just referring to visuals, a good lighting mod can cheer things up/spook things out pretty well.

Additionally, there are some monster mods by this guy that are really good. For some reason, in my game at least, they like to spawn in big groups next to other big groups on top of vanilla groups, which makes roadside fights into a chaotic mess. Otherwise, they have interesting abilities, some can outright kill you even at higher levels, and others are just there to make you pull your hair out in frustration (imps.)

I guess you just need to think of something that could be added to the game to make it more interesting, then go find the mod that does that. There are some mods that improve the vanilla game content, but honestly the best things are user created.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So I've been struggling trying to figure out how to make the perk Scorched Earth in Ordinator work with concentration spells. I've tried so many different things, and my brain just cannot grasp the concepts. I don't know if it's the perk, the hazard effect, the fire spells themselves, or what. I've looked at tutorials, and scoured the mod in CK to solve this, so if anyone could point me in a direction I'd really appreciate it.

Also, someone mentioned Clockwork and the ghost not doing anything for them. I, uh, I closed my eyes the first time the ghost showed up :blush:. That drat air horn shakes me to the bones from too much Silent Hill as a younger goon and also I'm a tremendous baby.

AND IT'S SCARY OKAY :blush: :blush: :blush:

edit: aw daaaamn i figured it out my brain is exquisite :toot:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 4, 2019

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Skyrim is really great for random stuff.

Haven't started the CW yet but a random Imperial waltzed to Riften and killed a guard only to replace her at the back right gate.

Edit; yes my GPU is in need of replacement and I need to get better texture mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I mean, does it really matter? Just go with what looks cool imo

it's the crossbow that looks cool btw

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

That's the one I use and it works just fine.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

controllers own because you can just lean back on the couch and play from across the room without having to balance a kb+m setup or have a loving dinner table in front of you like some kind of doofus

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Lechtansi posted:

Hey team, I was just talking with a friend about this game and I decided to check it out. Given that its an 8 year old bethesda game, I imagine there is a lot of jank to mod out. Do you have any recommendations for my first playthrough? I bounced hard off of Oblivion once I realized all the encounters were the same and the skill / level scaling was boring.

So, I guess there are two types of mods I'm looking for. 1) Mods that make it no longer look like a game built for the xbox 360 and played with a controller. 2) Mods that change some of the more "bethseda" design decisions.

Any suggestions?

Anything EnaiSiaion is pretty reliably good. There are unofficial patches, also you'll want some expanded armor and weapon mods, and mods that add new monsters so you don't just end up fighting bandits/draugr/wolves/the same 3 types of dragons/bears/etc. Magic mods, Argonian raptor feet mod. Really, the driest stuff in the vanilla game are the perks, the weapons, the magic, the monsters... gently caress just the whole drat thing really. The follower Cosnach is always gold though, vanilla or otherwise.

Basically, go to the Skyrim Nexus, get the mod manager downloaded, sort the mods by most endorsed of all time, and start going through pages and downloading stuff. You'll probably have a lot of stuff within the first 10 pages that you'll like, and after that you'll get more and more until you just ruin your loving save and start over.

Probably.

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Maybe just placeatme instead. Or advance the quest so you don't have to talk to that stupid loving dog