Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The poses for those big guys at the top are really bad. Yeah we got three poses; doing opera on a balcony, hunched over looking at their own broken elbow, and trying to frighten away a bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Cat Face Joe posted:

actually they're really good. the crouching one is in a particularly serious game of checkers and the other two are his hype men

Maybe I was wrong about Mantic's models being bad this whole time!!

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

The poses for those big guys at the top are really bad. Yeah we got three poses; doing opera on a balcony, hunched over looking at their own broken elbow, and trying to frighten away a bear.

Bear guy is awesome. He just needs a can of beer in his hand.

spectralent posted:

Yeah a lot of people attribute the fact #Thing is failing to the fact not enough people believe in/support #thing. It's the same kind of thing where people bringing up problems are blamed for creating that problem, instead of just noticing it exists.

Schrödinger's economy: It is only certain whether or not something fails if you bring problems up to "measure" its success.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 20, 2016

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Doresh posted:

Bear guy is awesome. He just needs a can of beer in his hand.

Crouching guy is hefting up a keg, balcony guy is hopping the fence with a six-pack, and bear guy is smashing two cans together like he's Stone Cold Steve Austin.

And really, if you're gonna make any faction into frat bros, it might as well be a plague faction.

The little dogs can be Supds MacKenzie.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Moola posted:

Is this a thing people say?

The British Prime Minister is currently pulling this poo poo with regards to a refit, except she's couched it as "Talking Britain down".

Bet she's outed as a GW shareholder in the next year.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I saw Rogue 1 and while I enjoyed it, I don't understand the hype around it

definitely not better than Empire like some people are saying

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Moola posted:

People are saying it's better than Empire? That's like saying it's better than Die Hard. That's an impossible bar to clear. It was pretty good but did have Star Warsy melodrama. It was super dark though and not in a grim dark way but a "poo poo this rebellion stuff is hard" way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Moola posted:

I imagine it's people overshooting their takes due to the prequels being hot garbage, so a movie that's strictly okay and doesn't egregiously poo poo the bed winds up a cinematic masterpiece in comparison.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can't imagine who will get SOBs now since everyone who wanted updated models has the raging heroes' sisters of eternal mercy stuff. The new people will wonder where the hell their entire army is when they get some plastic seraphim and need to direct order the basic infantry.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I still haven't seen Rogue 1 but I will admit half the reason I'm hyped is because of Whitaker, Yen, and Jones. :3: Really they should just make a Yip Man star wars series and get G Tartakovsky to do an animated version of it

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

Its better than everything but empire imo, which isnt exactly a high bar but its nice to enjoy a star war.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 21, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

I imagine it's people overshooting their takes due to the prequels being hot garbage, so a movie that's strictly okay and doesn't egregiously poo poo the bed winds up a cinematic masterpiece in comparison.

yeah I guess this is it

Yen was really good

K-2SO was easily the best character of the film, and possibly of any star wars film

kingcom posted:

Its better than everything but empire imo, which isnt exactly a high bar but its not to enjoy a star war.

I enjoyed TFA more in general

I loving loved the extremist rebel poo poo though; they need to be an x-wang faction

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

yeah I guess this is it

Yen was really good

K-2SO was easily the best character of the film, and possibly of any star wars film

I enjoyed TFA more in general

I loving loved the extremist rebel poo poo though; they need to be an x-wang faction

Donnie Yen's final scene is pretty solid imo.

The movie is crap opening 1/3, average middle 1/3 and really solid final 1/3 so everyone walks out with a real positive feeling.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yo who's buying the $250 jyn erso statue?

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-jyn-erso-deluxe-version-hot-toys-902919/

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

kingcom posted:

Donnie Yen's final scene is pretty solid imo.

The movie is crap opening 1/3, average middle 1/3 and really solid final 1/3 so everyone walks out with a real positive feeling.

I disliked pretty much all the character's 'final scenes' because they were so obviously telegraphed but w/e. End bit with Vader was loving GOOD AS HELL though

you're right about the begging, it's pretty rear end

Some real good Death Star imagery throughout the whole film

lol at Tarkin

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

she was awful why would anyone buy this?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

I disliked pretty much all the character's 'final scenes' because they were so obviously telegraphed but w/e. End bit with Vader was loving GOOD AS HELL though

I was expecting them to have him use the force and move the switch and make it dumb but I'm a big fan of setting it up so you dont know if the force was protecting him or what. Leaving that as a faith based thing rather than is good and cool.

Moola posted:

she was awful why would anyone buy this?

Looks better than tarkin imo. Also when I heard he was CGI i thought they would just use him in like a holograph so it hides the uncanny valley part in the blue fuzzy stuff but then hes just standing there lol.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

kingcom posted:

I was expecting them to have him use the force and move the switch and make it dumb but I'm a big fan of setting it up so you dont know if the force was protecting him or what. Leaving that as a faith based thing rather than is good and cool.

I loved this part of his character, his character was great in general imo

kingcom posted:

Looks better than tarkin imo. Also when I heard he was CGI i thought they would just use him in like a holograph so it hides the uncanny valley party in the blue fuzzy stuff but then hes just standing there lol.

the first shot you see of him in a reflection is great, then he turns round and its just bad flash-backs to Tron Legacy lol

Quite disappointing considering how well they de-aged Michael Douglas and RDJ in the marvel films; guess its easier to do it on a living actor?

Great voice though!

U-wings are rad

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Until I looked it up afterwards, I was certain Tarkin was played by Wayne Pygram (Scorpius in Farscape) just like in Episode III.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

the first shot you see of him in a reflection is great, then he turns round and its just bad flash-backs to Tron Legacy lol

Quite disappointing considering how well they de-aged Michael Douglas and RDJ in the marvel films; guess its easier to do it on a living actor?

Also if you've seen westworld they did a fantastic job with young anthony hopkins so I guess its easier to rig up some mo-cap or something and put it over the top?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Until I looked it up afterwards, I was certain Tarkin was played by Wayne Pygram (Scorpius in Farscape) just like in Episode III.

Unironically should have done this imo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
he could just not have been in it at all lol

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Moola posted:

he could just not have been in it at all lol

Expecting a Star Wars movie without constant references to other Star Wars movies is a bit much tbh.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
K-2SO is my friend

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

Expecting a Star Wars movie without constant references to other Star Wars movies is a bit much tbh.

Yeah, Disney is taking zero risks with Star Wars. Light Sabers, Tie-Fighters, X-Wings, and Stormtroopers forever.

That's why I think people are gonna get tired of Star Wars movies before they get tired of Marvel movies

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I really found it weird that they opted for CGI for those two characters. Seems like the perfect time to introduce new actors who they can then use for whatever shows or other original trilogy era films they want to do. I mean, you know they're never going to stop revisiting the original characters, might as well get people used to the idea of a changing cast rather than uncanny valley CGI people 20 years from now.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

K-2SO is my friend

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, Disney is taking zero risks with Star Wars. Light Sabers, Tie-Fighters, X-Wings, and Stormtroopers forever.

That's why I think people are gonna get tired of Star Wars movies before they get tired of Marvel movies

Yeah Im a big star wars fan and im already feeling the burn out :(

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 21, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think you're seriously underestimating how dedicated a group of people willing to consume the Expanded Universe novels to get more Star Wars in their diet are to watching Star Wars movies. If the prequels couldn't kill peoples' enthusiasm for more Star Wars films then a regular series of decent enough if not great movies certainly aren't going to.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

loving, come on goons, spoiler tags already, some of us haven't seen it yet, I shouldn't have to avoid every thread on SA just in case :mad:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

I think you're seriously underestimating how dedicated a group of people willing to consume the Expanded Universe novels to get more Star Wars in their diet are to watching Star Wars movies. If the prequels couldn't kill peoples' enthusiasm for more Star Wars films then a regular series of decent enough if not great movies certainly aren't going to.

Oh sure, there's always a die-hard Star Wars fans who will gobble up anything Star Wars branded like the disgusting pigs they are. Disney will be able to milk that audience of horrible tasteless nerds for their money forever. But that's different from billion dollar box office, everybody going to see it because it's a cultural event audience. The novelty of Star Wars being good again will wear off, and then people will start saying, "ehh, it's just another Star Wars movie, Ill catch it Netflix". Marvel has the strength that there's a ton of existing characters and stories they can draw from, and they can create different tones in the shared universe because they're drawing from such a deep well. Star Wars is a fairly shallow kiddy pool of images and characters from the first three movies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh sure, there's always a die-hard Star Wars fans who will gobble up anything Star Wars branded like the disgusting pigs they are. Disney will be able to milk that audience of horrible tasteless nerds for their money forever. But that's different from billion dollar box office, everybody going to see it because it's a cultural event audience. The novelty of Star Wars being good again will wear off, and then people will start saying, "ehh, it's just another Star Wars movie, Ill catch it Netflix". Marvel has the strength that there's a ton of existing characters and stories they can draw from, and they can create different tones in the shared universe because they're drawing from such a deep well. Star Wars is a fairly shallow kiddy pool of images and characters from the first three movies.

I dunno, just about every review of every Marvel movie these days is tripping over themselves to describe each new movie as some variation of "good enough I guess, but it does nothing new or inventive and it's super formulaic" and while they may have a point that hasn't diminished peoples' appetite for more Marvel movies. They've been cranking those suckers out for literally years now too, long enough for the bloom to come off the rose but nah, Dr. Strange is over 600 million in box office takes, Guardians 2 is gonna be huge too, etc. The Transformers movie franchise is in a constant competition with itself to see how lovely each new movie can be and it still rakes in the big bucks. A steady procession of Thoroughly Adequate Star Wars Movies will do just fine as long as Disney feels like making them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I dunno, just about every review of every Marvel movie these days is tripping over themselves to describe each new movie as some variation of "good enough I guess, but it does nothing new or inventive and it's super formulaic" and while they may have a point that hasn't diminished peoples' appetite for more Marvel movies. They've been cranking those suckers out for literally years now too, long enough for the bloom to come off the rose but nah, Dr. Strange is over 600 million in box office takes, Guardians 2 is gonna be huge too, etc. The Transformers movie franchise is in a constant competition with itself to see how lovely each new movie can be and it still rakes in the big bucks. A steady procession of Thoroughly Adequate Star Wars Movies will do just fine as long as Disney feels like making them.

I predict the next star wars movies to each make comically large sums of money.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Star Wars is worse than anime.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slimnoid posted:

Star Wars is worse than anime.

The only thing worse than the thing are the fans of the thing.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I am Hitler, and so can you!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

To be fair Rogue One is pretty hugely different from every other Star Wars movie in both tone, characters, and storyline. This is probably the first time they've had morally ambiguous characters on the "good" side, it has absolutely no jedi, and we see a lightsaber on screen for like ten seconds.

I mean, yeah, it's Disney, a multibillion dollar international corporation - It's not going to take any huge chances. It's out to make money. Of course it's going to have stormtroopers and X-Wings and poo poo. But Rogue One was a lot less cautious than I thought it would be.

It was a good-rear end Star Wars movie. That loving weird and tasteless digital Peter Cushing ghoul was the only thing I hated about it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Geisladisk posted:

To be fair Rogue One is pretty hugely different from every other Star Wars movie in both tone, characters, and storyline. This is probably the first time they've had morally ambiguous characters on the "good" side, it has absolutely no jedi, and we see a lightsaber on screen for like ten seconds.

I mean, yeah, it's Disney, a multibillion dollar international corporation - It's not going to take any huge chances. It's out to make money. Of course it's going to have stormtroopers and X-Wings and poo poo. But Rogue One was a lot less cautious than I thought it would be.

It was a good-rear end Star Wars movie. That loving weird and tasteless digital Peter Cushing ghoul was the only thing I hated about it.

Oh sure, but I mean things like (as you said) CGI Peter Cushing or the obligatory C-3P0 and R2-D2 cameo, gotta have Vader in there too...the movie earned some of those moments (Vader in the hallway for instance was definitely an excellent scene), but by and large I think that it's expecting a bit more than Disney is willing to give at the moment to not have several wink-and-nod moments per Star Wars movie. I don't really count Stormtroopers and X-Wings as a "reference" per se, those are just general elements of the setting rather than specific characters and callbacks.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 22, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Oh sure, but I mean things like (as you said) CGI Peter Cushing or the obligatory C-3P0 and R2-D2 cameo, gotta have Vader in there too...the movie earned some of those moments (Vader in the hallway for instance was definitely an excellent scene), but by and large I think that it's expecting a bit more than Disney is willing to give at the moment to not have several wink-and-nod moments per Star Wars movie. I don't really count Stormtroopers and X-Wings as a "reference" per se, those are just general elements of the setting rather than specific characters and callbacks.

Some of the references to the originals were a little gratuitous, and there were way too many of them. It was almost breaking the fourth wall at some points. For instance, the Rogues just happen to bump into the same dickwads that picked a fight with Luke on Tattooine. Leia's line at the end was the worst offender. "They gave us.... Hope. You might even say it's... A New Hope. Because we didn't have this Hope before. But now we have it. So it's new. A New Hope. You know. The name of the next movie. Get it?".

Some were cool though. Red and Gold leaders being present in the space battle makes a lot of sense, and it wasn't overdone, as they only had a couple of lines and shots each.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 22, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I loving hated the Darth Vader scene. The feeling you get in the OT when that guy walks into Vader's sanitary chamber thingy when his helmet is off is that "oh gently caress, that guy walked in too early, he's hosed", the entire feeling of that scene is that it's the biggest faux pas in the universe to see Vader out of his armor. And then in Rogue One he's just floating in the bacta tank or whatever having a loving chat like it's NBD.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 22, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I loving hated the Darth Vader scene. The feeling you get in the OT when that guy walks into Vader's sanitary chamber thingy when his helmet is off is that "oh gently caress, that guy walked in too early, he's hosed", the entire feeling of that scene is that it's the biggest faux pas in the universe to see Vader out of his armor. And then in Rogue One he's just floating in the bacta tank or whatever having a loving chat like it's NBD.

??? Some robed retainer dude comes to get him and tell him he has a visitor, which is presumably that guy's job as some kind of servant in the volcanic doom-palace, but all the talking Vader does is in full armor and helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Wasn't the only person to see him in the bacta his elderly doorman/butler type guy? Presumably they've got a special relationship. Like Archer and Woodhouse.

• Locked thread