Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Willninho posted:

That might be one of the things that make their old school heel act feel generic to me. Like they're good but they're heel tag control segments always feel so formula to me. This be fair none of the faces against them are Ricky Morton sellers out there. They're really good at setting up the faces though in the beginning of the matches.

It's formulaic but it's a formula that hasn't been seen regularly on a big stage in such a long time that it works for me. To be honest I don't really have a problem with formulaic so long as you keep adding new little wrinkles to the act and don't always do the same spots in the exact same order in every match coughokadacough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Roque11 posted:

So would that be the case with Cesaro's deal expiring soon? I wouldn't be shocked, but I wonder about time lines. Cesaro first signed in Sept 2011. I always thought WWE usually signs people to 3 year deals. Being that he's been with WWE for 5 years he obviously renewed at some point and i wonder if it was in 2014 or 2015. Unless there are some details I don't know about.

I thought I remembered hearing about Cesaro re-signing a couple years back, but I'm not certain. I'd be surprised if he gave up Raw money though. He's honestly not in that bad of a position.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
In terms of odd things that may be NXT related. Amazing Red deleted his social media. Ethan Page has ended his podcast.

https://twitter.com/HOGwrestling/status/768609652468752384

https://twitter.com/OfficialEGO/status/768828648753332228

sticklefifer posted:

I thought I remembered hearing about Cesaro re-signing a couple years back, but I'm not certain. I'd be surprised if he gave up Raw money though. He's honestly not in that bad of a position.

And Sara Del Rey is on the road with him now.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
fuckin... ethan page...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bard Maddox posted:

fuckin... ethan page...
Should sign Josh Alexander to make Page tolerable

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

AMReese posted:

I don't think you're getting LaRae without Joey Ryan, and I'm pretty sure they don't want Joey Ryan.

Candice and Joey hardly ever tag anymore, they might be breaking into Lucha Underground next season but if WWE seriously pursued her I'm sure she'd consider it

Jerusalem posted:

I want Chris Hero to be rich as gently caress and beloved by the world :3:

I too wish good things for Chris Hero, the best wrestler in the world

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
HBK was hanging out at the tapings tonight:

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/768918018504077312
https://twitter.com/SamoaJoe/status/769016237758218241

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Nice that he could pass on some advice to spry youngster Samoa Joe.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I found Ethan Page's NXT gimmick already.

Also, I feel like this needs to be shared. Arthur + Bobby Roode

https://www.facebook.com/everythingiswrestling/videos/1202574173138202/

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DM Punk posted:

I found Ethan Page's NXT gimmick already.

Ethan "Default CAW" Page

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/769205677713678336

I want Hulk in NXT now.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

achillesforever6 posted:

Should sign Josh Alexander to make Page tolerable

I'd be very happy about this. Give my big boy Josh Alexander a big paycheck.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Did they fire The Drifter yet

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

He says these things until he has some power in a company, then it's All Nasty Boys All The Time.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

NickRoweFillea posted:

Did they fire The Drifter yet

He's injured, and WWE doesn't fire injured wrestlers.

Sometimes, at least.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfuCxlVUngE

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I got a ticket for the house show in Bel Air MD. I'm gonna see wrestling LIVE!!! for the first time since I was just a kid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bro you should check out some MCW shows. They do like one a month and they're usually pretty fun.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I've seen them advertised. Maybe I will!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm assuming there is some sort of long-term plan with Andrade Almas/La Sombra but I'm not really feeling him too much yet.

If you bring in a coolguy luchador and you plan on unmasking him anyway, how about actually bringing him in masked and then have him get unmasked during his first feud. Would make a natural progression for him and give him a reason for fighting.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

MrBling posted:

I'm assuming there is some sort of long-term plan with Andrade Almas/La Sombra but I'm not really feeling him too much yet.

If you bring in a coolguy luchador and you plan on unmasking him anyway, how about actually bringing him in masked and then have him get unmasked during his first feud. Would make a natural progression for him and give him a reason for fighting.

The intro videos for him kind of gave off this vibe, but they should have followed it up with some masked dudes talking poo poo to him. Have Kalisto tell him that being unmasked is a bad wrestling thing. Can the current Sin Cara speak english?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

MrBling posted:

He was unmasked before WWE, so you'd have to mask him just to mask him.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Good Lord, HBK looks like George Carlin there.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Sombra flopped as babyface in CMLL too. He's just not very good at it and the horrible horrible gear (for a babyface) doesn't help. I also wish they'd give him a name that isn't two last names but I guess it's too late now.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Just think. Cien can be the new Hunico.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Spermgod posted:

Sombra flopped as babyface in CMLL too. He's just not very good at it and the horrible horrible gear (for a babyface) doesn't help. I also wish they'd give him a name that isn't two last names but I guess it's too late now.

They could always drop Andrade and just have him be "Cien" Almas which actually makes a nice sounding name. With all the new signings coming soon, I think the best option to pull him out of the tailspin is to turn him into an arrogant, aloof dick.

WWE has their own Bullet Club. Might as well get their own Los Ingobernables.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

How is Cien's English on a scale of Nakamura to Yoshi Tatsu? Part of the problem is he doesn't speak, which I can accept in a masked luchador but it seems really weird for an unmasked guy.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

The intro videos for him kind of gave off this vibe, but they should have followed it up with some masked dudes talking poo poo to him. Have Kalisto tell him that being unmasked is a bad wrestling thing. Can the current Sin Cara speak english?

Sin Cara II is American and speaks fluent English

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

But he has no face, you can't speak without a face!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Baby Babbeh posted:

How is Cien's English on a scale of Nakamura to Yoshi Tatsu? Part of the problem is he doesn't speak, which I can accept in a masked luchador but it seems really weird for an unmasked guy.

it's pretty bad, i think.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Considering it's pretty clear he had no idea what Bobby Roode was saying to him during their promo during the final NXT before TakeOver, it's a safe bet that he has a lot to learn.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just call him Cien and be done with it.

oatgan posted:

It's weird that a lot of people still give him Mistico's reputation for some reason. Hunico owns.

Hunicowns.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The near-total focus on Roode in the hype package for Takeover gives you a sense of where Almas is right now.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Basic Chunnel posted:

The near-total focus on Roode in the hype package for Takeover gives you a sense of where Almas is right now.

TBF Roode got massively over with what was basically face heat to an extent I don't think they were expecting

They definitely need to rehab Almas but he's far from like Solomon Crowe levels of dead

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I know it's easy for me to say with the benefit of hindsight, but I think you had to have had at least an inkling that that music was going to get the guy over as a babyface in the modern irony-laden pro wrestling landscape. That match was really hurt by the structure being completely backwards for who the crowd wanted to get behind.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Oh, I don't know. It was New York, and there was absolutely zero chance you were going to get them to cheer for Cien over Roode. The best Cien could do, which is what he did, was get the crowd on his side at least a little. The structure of the match seemed to give Roode plenty of chances for him to play to the crowd, so they knew.

Cien's music is still awesome, though.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
goddamn I love Nakamura's theme so much. Apparently, they based it off of Final Fantasy final boss fights.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Capsaicin posted:

goddamn I love Nakamura's theme so much. Apparently, they based it off of Final Fantasy final boss fights.

That is maybe the least surprising thing I've ever read, but in a good way. They absolutely nailed that feeling.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

SomeMathGuy posted:

That is maybe the least surprising thing I've ever read, but in a good way. They absolutely nailed that feeling.

Yeah, it fits really well. I love that first drop when "SHINSUKE NAKAMURA" appears on the tron. They should just have entire arena dark before that part and have him silhouetted on that when it drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Well, that mostly happened during his debut. I'm surprised that didn't become the norm because it worked so well.

• Locked thread