Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I kinda wish his name on the tron was the first announcement of him coming to NXT, after weeks of Regal saying "I've searched the globe to find the perfect opponent for you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

AMReese posted:

Well, that mostly happened during his debut. I'm surprised that didn't become the norm because it worked so well.

Yeah, I just think it they should have waited until the actual drop before he was on stage. Maybe not have the orange flashes beforehand.

When the worst thing I can think of for their handling of Nakamura is the interplay between his song, entrance, and tron, they are probably handling him pretty well.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

AMReese posted:

Well, that mostly happened during his debut. I'm surprised that didn't become the norm because it worked so well.

That entrance was far and away the most cinematic shot I've seen all year from WWE. I've probably watched it a dozen times and it's just perfect, with the silhouetted figure, the darkness, the name appearing and the figure moving in only the way Nakamura can in front of it. loving brilliant.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I loved Nakamura's first entrance against Zayne and I'm kinda bummed they changed it to what it is after that. I really like the darkness and the silhouette, but I can understand that they probably want to actually show Nakamura more.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Nakamura's first entrance was perfect, but I think having a different entrance for your average show keeps the cooler entrance special. I'd like to see them go back to that entrance for big matches if they don't have a violinist or another special thing planned.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsTV/status/769593470793101312

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think the bigger news there is that Cornette publicly states an opinion that doesn't make everyone want to smack him.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like that match less now

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Pretty interesting piece:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wwes-new-era-began-in-japan/

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Summary: Japanese wrestlers are being treated better now than they used to be.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

538 somehow found a way to reach a smaller audience with even worse data

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ibushi is announced for ddt's november show though i'm not positive if that means wrestling

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Developmental

https://twitter.com/willh94/status/769713598813859841

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll riot if he's not at #NXTBelAirBaltimore

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Endless Mike posted:

I'll riot if he's not at #NXTBelAirBaltimore

Since I'm going I guarantee you we'll get the B-show of all B-shows.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally get to see Tino Sabatelli live!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Baltimore is a touring date, you should get all the stars. Jacksonville is a $10 local show so that spoiled rear end idiot can get hosed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If you're at a house show The Revival are who you want, because they work almost as hard in front of 150 people as they do in front of 15,000

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

St Evan Echoes posted:

If you're at a house show The Revival are who you want, because they work almost as hard in front of 150 people as they do in front of 15,000

So you're saying they work hard all day and all night?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

SomeMathGuy posted:

So you're saying they work hard all day and all night?
Yeah.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Eltoasto posted:

Baltimore is a touring date, you should get all the stars. Jacksonville is a $10 local show so that spoiled rear end idiot can get hosed.

Somehow I misread the other NXT show that date as "Dallas/ Ft Worth" as opposed to Ft Pierce FL. I'm always doing dumb stuff like this. And yeah that's an amazing show for just something local.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
edit: wrong thread

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 28, 2016

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlAkyRWgPYM

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So, after roughly a generation of WWE women being an afterthought, aside from 2-3 years of Lita and Trish getting good enough to have OK matches... Triple H in roughly 2014 or so goes "OK ladies, do pretty much whatever the gently caress you want. Also we don't care about look anymore much."

That has now developed into the women being in strong competition for best match on show on every PPV.

More than WWE starting its own version of ROH, I find this amazing.

Meltzer talks like he writes and after 10 loving minutes I only vaguely have an idea of what he was trying to say.

The short story I think is that once Vince completely ages out and his cronies lose power, this sort of wrestling will probably move up to the main roster instead of this weird Twilight Zone booking where the two-hour NXT PPV is orders of magnitude better than the Actual Show.

That being said, I think almost the entire roster is wrestling too hard at this point and we're going to end up with another rash of Dr. Youngblood's Magical Spinal Fusion Surgeries That No Really, Fixed Everything from the 2000-2002 period. This is exemplified to me in AJ deciding that he needed to take an avalanche AA for a non-title match on the middle of a card. That's OK I suppose if they intend him to never work with Cena again.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They want HHH to take over for Vince but the shareholders see Vince as the only person who can do what Vince does, so they want to use NXT as an example to point to that says "HHH can do this. He is the guy to take over."

NXT's primary purpose at this point in time is to exist as a highly successful example of HHH running a wrestling company so that there's no pushback whenever Vince is gone and a decision is made to put HHH in charge.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

So, after roughly a generation of WWE women being an afterthought, aside from 2-3 years of Lita and Trish getting good enough to have OK matches... Triple H in roughly 2014 or so goes "OK ladies, do pretty much whatever the gently caress you want. Also we don't care about look anymore much."

That has now developed into the women being in strong competition for best match on show on every PPV.

I think they still care about look a lot. Also even since the NXT women started getting called up, vanishingly few women's matches have been in competition for MOTN on main roster PPVs.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
You say "few", but that's still more than there's been in years where "none" was the case.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Especially with Four Star Roman on those same cards

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

AMReese posted:

You say "few", but that's still more than there's been in years where "none" was the case.

yes

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

sportsgenius86 posted:

They want HHH to take over for Vince but the shareholders see Vince as the only person who can do what Vince does, so they want to use NXT as an example to point to that says "HHH can do this. He is the guy to take over."

NXT's primary purpose at this point in time is to exist as a highly successful example of HHH running a wrestling company so that there's no pushback whenever Vince is gone and a decision is made to put HHH in charge.

My question is, who, besides HHH, could shareholders possibly have confidence in running the company? Vince won't live forever, and there aren't many other options.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
it's not like they're required to have confidence in someone

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's less that they HAVE to be in agreement and more that they don't want the stock to take a dive because it looks like the shareholders and the leadership are at odds.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spermgod posted:

I think they still care about look a lot. Also even since the NXT women started getting called up, vanishingly few women's matches have been in competition for MOTN on main roster PPVs.

They originally had issues with Charlotte apparently and Bayley is just ridiculously unlike the people they used to call up.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
My favorite part about discussion about WWE after Vince dies are the ways Bryan and Dave talk around Vince being dead in the scenarios.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They originally had issues with Charlotte apparently and Bayley is just ridiculously unlike the people they used to call up.

I know there's a lot of "Charlotte got off the juice" chatter but i'd be shocked if it wasn't simply Vince and co. wanting her to lose tone because she didn't look womanly enough for them.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 29, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They're going to do some kind of carny as gently caress angle when Vince dies and it's going to be amazing. I bet it's in his will.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

True but I can totally see them looking at new hires and going "we already have one ugly girl, we don't need another one." (i don't think Bayley is ugly)

Likewise I don't expect them to hire any more fat women while Nia Jax is there.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Eltoasto posted:

I've never been to a ROH show or any other high profile indie for that matter but I have been to the NXT Jacksonville shows plenty of times. I could not imagine a smarkier crowd to exist. They've had big chants for the 2K video game

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Bianca is someone to eventually look out for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HWoaljXCVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfLXsBs_RQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just got done watching Takeover. Loved it as always.

I'm only a casual viewer, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I never realised how much I hated the smarky WWE crowd until watching these events. Why is the crowd so awesome at NXT shows and so annoying at WWE shows? Surely the smarks at a WWE crowd are the same people at an NXT show but a WWE crowd should also have the benefit of 15-20k extra regular WWE marks. I'd understand if it was some pre-WWE owned ECW type thing where you hate the big guy and love the other brand but the two products are so similar now that I struggle to see why one gets so much more love than the other. Wouldn't everyone just have way much more fun if they marked out every show like they do at NXT?

• Locked thread