Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

he also did 9/11 so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This man will do more for America than Gawker ever did

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
In the united states you can render somebody a paraplegic through deliberate negligence and you might be on the hook for as much as one-tenth of the amount that Gawker had to pay because people saw Hulk Hogan's tiny penis and heard his entirely too common lovely opinions about black people

An ice cream company out in our region killed multiple people and they had to pay 1/115th of what hulk hogan was owed for the value of his tiny penis and people's perception of his status as a racist

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Aug 23, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mirthless posted:

In the united states you can render somebody a paraplegic through deliberate negligence and you might be on the hook for as much as one-tenth of the amount that Gawker had to pay because people saw Hulk Hogan's tiny penis and heard his entirely too common lovely opinions about black people

actually the latter part was never reported by Gawker during the case and was never part of the tape they reviewed. it was by all accounts something that the FBI found when they investigated the tape during the initial proceedings.

it only came out after another media outlet published the excerpts, which was right after Gawker successfully sued the FBI for the full tape during discovery in the civil case. the judge ordered the tape to be sealed as evidence for the civil case in that ruling and uh, it somehow wasn't

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i think one of denton's contentions was that hogan didn't care about the sex tape but was sueing to keep the other parts of the tape hidden.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

exploding mummy posted:

actually the latter part was never reported by Gawker during the case and was never part of the tape they reviewed. it was by all accounts something that the FBI found when they investigated the tape during the initial proceedings.

it only came out after another media outlet published the excerpts, which was right after Gawker successfully sued the FBI for the full tape during discovery in the civil case. the judge ordered the tape to be sealed as evidence for the civil case in that ruling and uh, it somehow wasn't

hahahaha, oh my god, unbelievable

so literally the only thing that was worth literally tens of millions of dollars was a dumb sex tape? Are you kidding me?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mirthless posted:

An ice cream company out in our region killed multiple people and they had to pay 1/115th of what hulk hogan was owed for the value of his tiny penis and people's perception of his status as a racist

you uh, realize that you're comparing apples to oranges right and a civil case award to a solitary fine issued by a department of health

like by the time that Blue Bell is done, they'll have lost more in actual court cases and other fines

Mirthless posted:

hahahaha, oh my god, unbelievable

so literally the only thing that was worth literally tens of millions of dollars was a dumb sex tape? Are you kidding me?

There was some incredible math used to justify the figure, but the overall $140M was in excess of what Hogan was looking for and it was mostly because Gawker repeatedly shot themselves in the foot over the course of this entire series of events and looked like scummy sleazeballs the entire time.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

so your'e agreeing it's an insane amount

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
pretty sure the jury decided on the 140m figure, not the Hulkster

and Gawker got owned big because they were the most unsympathetic defendants since the Nuremberg war crime trials after WWII

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Karl Barks posted:

so your'e agreeing it's an insane amount

when did I say it wasn't

but they jury decided on the figure, not Hogan.

Hell, the jury gave Hogan $25M in punitive damages that he wasn't even seeking because Denton, Daulerio, and Gawker were gigantic douchenozzles.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

exploding mummy posted:

when did I say it wasn't

hmmmm

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'm thinking Delaurio testifying that four years old was the age cutoff for posting sex tapes online *might* have influenced the jury's decision to kill Gawker with the damage award, rather than Peter Thiel's mind control rays. Denton's repeated insistance that posting sex tapes was a credible journalistic endeavor for Gawker might have also fueled that fire. If they had been the least bit sympathetic or apologetic the jury might have decided a penalty less than 'dismantle your whole loving douche company' would have been sufficient.

But now the Hulkster can afford that genital reconstruction surgery hes always wanted to repair the steroid abuse damage, so that worked out for him I guess.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Not a Step posted:

I'm thinking Delaurio testifying that four years old was the age cutoff for posting sex tapes online *might* have influenced the jury's decision to kill Gawker with the damage award, rather than Peter Thiel's mind control rays. Denton's repeated insistance that posting sex tapes was a credible journalistic endeavor for Gawker might have also fueled that fire. If they had been the least bit sympathetic or apologetic the jury might have decided a penalty less than 'dismantle your whole loving douche company' would have been sufficient.

But now the Hulkster can afford that genital reconstruction surgery hes always wanted to repair the steroid abuse damage, so that worked out for him I guess.

that and the entire story about how they published the tape of someone getting raped and then ignored the victim and her family's pleas to take it down by telling them "that it wasn't a serious matter."

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

http://adage.com/article/media/mind-peter-thiel-gawker-killed/305550/

quote:

Peter Thiel, backer of Hulk Hogan's lawsuit, which drove Gawker's parent company Gawker Media into bankruptcy, is responsible for Gawker's death -- that's the prevailing media narrative. ("Peter Thiel Just Got His Wish: Gawker Is Shutting Down" is how Wired put it.)
But of course there's a parallel narrative, 14 years in the making: Gawker ran itself off the road.

Gawker simply didn't know when to hit the brakes -- or maybe it didn't even know how to operate the brakes. It slammed into a tree or crashed through the guardrail and over the cliff or [insert a visual of your choice here, with the horror level depending on whether or not you or any of your colleagues or friends or family have ever been brutalized by Gawker].

By the logic of this narrative, Gawker killed itself. We can't rule it a suicide, though, because clearly Gawker didn't intend to die.

But maybe it was more along the lines of, say, autoerotic asphyxiation.

Despite running plenty of sharp commentary and even committing legitimate acts of journalism over the years (see examples of varying quality cited by Gawker's own editors in a defensive, self-pitying June post about the site's legacy), Gawker just couldn't help itself.

Every once in awhile, it just had to get off the best way it knew how: through an ever-more dangerous little masturbatory S&M game. It was a game that involved schoolyard-bully-level cruelty. And too often it was mixed with adolescent-grade prurient interest in people's private lives.

It was an intoxicating game that made some Gawkerites feel so powerful, so dominant, so alive.

Until... well, you know how the story ends.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I only trust journalists who get off sexually when in the presence of power, rather than exercising it themselves.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mirthless posted:

labor health and safety regulations being 100 years out of date isn't an excuse for a tabloid garbage dump to get away with insisting that a sex tape is journalism. they aren't the only ones that deserve an organizational death penalty (penn state's football program still existing is bullshit) but that doesn't make it terrible that they actually received it

and yes they certainly didn't help by being rampant, unapologetic smug shitheads about the entire affair. gently caress em

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I just remembered that Hulk Hogan is a union buster so my new take is that he deserved to have the sex tape leaked.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

adage is worth following if you want to see how the money flows. you'll find reports about "content deals" between publishers and companies (microsoft and conde nast for example) you're hard pressed to find anywhere else. the fact it's aimed at advertising professionals makes it gloat over stuff that usually gets buried in other outlets.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the big brains have done it again

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/legalist-is-automating-the-lawsuit-strategy-peter-thiel-used-to-kill-gawker

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

jesus christ it's predictit for lawsuits, with the share buy-ins funding the lawsuits

this is legitimately distressing

we've created an aggregator that lets people vote on who to sue and then get a cut of the proceeds

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nobody under 70 should be wearing suspenders

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I really enjoyed Gawker. I posted over there for a decade. I'm sorry to see it go. That's all I really got.

Mirthless posted:

jesus christ it's predictit for lawsuits, with the share buy-ins funding the lawsuits

this is legitimately distressing

we've created an aggregator that lets people vote on who to sue and then get a cut of the proceeds

Keep in mind that Thiel is the same guy that wants to make SA's In Golden Waters.. a reality.

TyroneGoldstein has issued a correction as of 12:25 on Aug 25, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

i wish ashley feinberg would post a thing about how histrionically furious not a step is about gawker, but i don't think she knows this thread exists

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Im pretty much in meltdown 24/7 over Gawker. Youd think it would have gotten better after they got Hulk slammed but it really just made me realize I'll never be able to post the perfect tumblr blog that brings down the corrupt Gawker organization.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I hope billionaires stop being mean. (to the middle class)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i dont give a poo poo about gawker but peter thiel is a literal bloodsucking capitalist vampire beast and him succeeding at anything is a severe detriment to humanity

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sometimes two things that are independently bad fight, like Godzilla and King Ghidorah.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Not a Step posted:

Sometimes two things that are independently bad fight, like Godzilla and King Ghidorah.

or cops and white supremacists

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

been reading techcrunch since gawker is done and wow, silicon valley isn't all that bad guys! techcrunch does some very great native content :)

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i dont give a poo poo about gawker but peter thiel is a literal bloodsucking capitalist vampire beast and him succeeding at anything is a severe detriment to humanity

I hope he succeeds at murdering himself.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
this is a good article

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol is pando paywall only now, wow

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Karl Barks posted:

lol is pando paywall only now, wow

oh ok read this instead I didn't know the random string did something

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

quote:

Let’s do our best to cover Silicon Valley power brokers, and invite those same powerbrokers (including Peter Thiel) to do their worst. Let’s remember those war correspondents who get shot at and the Russian authors who get poloniumed and the Mexican drug gang reporters who get beheaded and left at the side of the road. Or if we don’t want to be quite so dramatic, let’s think about the American whistleblowers who face jail or the political reporters who refuse to reveal their sources even when faced with a grand jury. And let’s consider ourselves unspeakably lucky that the worst thing tech reporters face is an angry libertarian with a Trump fetish coming after our kitchen appliances.

oh hey I posted that good opinion thanks

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Most news media reads and posts poo poo like Gawker did. There will be no renaissance of the press lol

Trump made himself an enemy to journalists, so now they're going to write like garbage for the next two months until the idiot loses. I fear its not going back even if Trump disappeared from our plane of reality November 9.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i think pando really hated gawker because of these:
http://valleywag.gawker.com/tag/pando-daily

actually this is one of the posts that got me really into valleywag, about the author of the above post
http://valleywag.gawker.com/pandodailys-threatening-email-meltdown-1149039909

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This whole "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" logic being employed to defend Gawker is intellectual laziness at its finest.

Us doing something about drone strikes would appease Rand Paul, can't have that because Rand Paul is an rear end in a top hat, a-ruh-ruh-ruh.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
peter thiel loving owns, he destroyed gawker and he's making a bunch of millenial shitbags cry big salty bitch tears all over the internet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Probably Magic posted:

This whole "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" logic being employed to defend Gawker is intellectual laziness at its finest.

Us doing something about drone strikes would appease Rand Paul, can't have that because Rand Paul is an rear end in a top hat, a-ruh-ruh-ruh.

It's not about defending gawker, it's about what peter thiel was able to do, how he was able to do it, and what that means for the future.

Like, you are, at this moment, defending this. If you can read that and not get a chill up your spine you're one hard motherfucker because this scares the poo poo out of me.

You're comparing an unfortunate invasion of somebody's privacy to remotely killing people with rockets and missiles, btw, what the gently caress is up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This is perfect.

• Locked thread