Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mirthless posted:

It's not about defending gawker, it's about what peter thiel was able to do, how he was able to do it, and what that means for the future.

Like, you are, at this moment, defending this. If you can read that and not get a chill up your spine you're one hard motherfucker because this scares the poo poo out of me.

You're comparing an unfortunate invasion of somebody's privacy to remotely killing people with rockets and missiles, btw, what the gently caress is up with that?

Point to the part where I defended Peter Thiel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Who got the rights to the Gawker Stalker Map Registered Trade Mark?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i dont give a poo poo about gawker but peter thiel is a literal bloodsucking capitalist vampire beast and him succeeding at anything is a severe detriment to humanity

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Peter Thiel should be fired into a black hole so that the universe won't have him in it any more.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol none of you had ever heard of or cared about peter thiel before this gawker thing happened

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

-Troika- posted:

lol none of you had ever heard of or cared about peter thiel before this gawker thing happened

he spoke at the rnc

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

babypolis posted:

he spoke at the rnc

That was after Hulk smashed Gawker

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

-Troika- posted:

hm actually i did

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

-Troika- posted:

He inspired the weird Peter Gregory character in Silicon Valley

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shame if you didn't hate him for PayPal previously

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

or facebook, i mean facebook is pretty loving awful in terms of it's effect on the internet

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

-Troika- posted:

If only there was a news source who wrote articles about what a shithead he was then we would know.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thiel is also behind Palantir, which does data analysis for drone strike targets, let's not forget that one.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Privatizing the CIA: A New American Dawn.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i didnt really give a poo poo about the gawker thing until i realized it represented a victory for a piece of poo poo like thiel

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

-Troika- posted:

just because you're poo poo ignorant doesn't mean everyone else is. I miss Valleywag, they fought the good fight more or less. Luckily, we're quite likely to see Gawkers like again.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Deadspin's Concourse is basically turning into Gawker 2.0. A good number of the Gawker writers have simply moved there blogs to there.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/dont-get-mad-join-a-union-1785914405
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/these-hurricanes-sure-look-like-something-1785925125
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/huma-abedin-dumps-anthony-weiner-after-third-sexting-sc-1785895293

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

hi liter posted:

Thiel is also behind Palantir, which does data analysis for drone strike targets, let's not forget that one.

"We've analyzed all available data and concluded you've been struck by a drone."
- Palantir

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Considering the CIA was founded by Ivy league grads who wanted to be Real Men they've always been on the front line of douchiness. Investing in tech startups is a return to their roots after years of hiring weirdly nice Mormons.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Both sides were full of petty assholes so really in a contest of poo poo vs poo poo I can't bring myself to care very much. Only good outcome would have been mutual destruction but welp.

The hill Gawker chose to die on is hilariously retarded but only with the hindsight that years later a billionaire with a grudge who spent years biding his time waiting for the perfect opening would fund a washed up moron pro wrestler purely out of spite.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Peter Thiel is bad.

Gawker was bad.

Peter Thiel threw the match on Gawker after it doused itself in kerosene.

Horrible people did horrible poo poo to each other. RIP lovely internet blog people, until they find new Journalism 2.0 jobs at some other lovely internet gossip site.

Hulk Hogan got millions out of it though, which I find hilarious and whole heartedly approve of

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Not a Step posted:

Peter Thiel is bad.

Gawker was bad.

Peter Thiel threw the match on Gawker after it doused itself in kerosene.

Horrible people did horrible poo poo to each other. RIP lovely internet blog people, until they find new Journalism 2.0 jobs at some other lovely internet gossip site.

Hulk Hogan got millions out of it though, which I find hilarious and whole heartedly approve of

Only on the condition that he spends it all on dumbshit enterprises that bankrupt in two years.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Probably Magic posted:

Only on the condition that he spends it all on dumbshit enterprises that bankrupt in two years.

Uber?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/770769246590734338

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Mirthless posted:

It's not about defending gawker, it's about what peter thiel was able to do, how he was able to do it, and what that means for the future.

Like, you are, at this moment, defending this. If you can read that and not get a chill up your spine you're one hard motherfucker because this scares the poo poo out of me.

You're comparing an unfortunate invasion of somebody's privacy to remotely killing people with rockets and missiles, btw, what the gently caress is up with that?
Can you explain exactly what scares you about that? It just looks like another buzzwordy tech scam. If it worked it would be good. If it worked and was bad you should dismantle your entire legal system.

Also what is up with people that don't understand how a metaphor works? Is it autism?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Mercrom posted:

you should dismantle your entire legal system.

duh doi guys! just freakin dismantle your entire legal system *claps hands together as if dusting them off*

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Karl Barks posted:

duh doi guys! just freakin dismantle your entire legal system *claps hands together as if dusting them off*

dont worry i dont actually think your legal system would somehow be hurt by easier work for lawyers, less waste, and being cheaper to take part in so theres no need to dismantle anything

if you believe it's gonna "disrupt" anything you are just buying into the marketing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

babypolis posted:

i didnt really give a poo poo about the gawker thing until i realized it represented a victory for a piece of poo poo like thiel

If you hate Thiel, wait until you hear about Nick Denton!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

That sounds like a clever but short-lived enterprise, because it exploits the system too directly, thereby calling attention to its failings in such a way that invites reform. So Legalist sounds good to me.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fiend posted:

"We've analyzed all available data and concluded you've been struck by a drone."
- Palantir
according to our calculations, the honeymoon is cancelled

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I still think all the pearl clutching over the prostitution thing was a bit much. Gawker had outed people before, including Thiel and Shepard Smith, and nobody seemed to mind too much then. The way they were basically colluding with the prostitute to extort the guy was obviously over the line, but that's not the part most people seemed to focus on; basically they just outed someone who was sympathetic to media elites in a way that previous subjects of their stories hadn't been, and the empire struck back. That seems doubly hypocritical to me since the guy would have ended up in a public arrest report for solicitation if he'd been caught doing the same thing on the street, so pretending there was a right to privacy for someone engaged in that crime seemed absurd, and pointed to the reality that there's a different standard for rich and powerful people than the rest of us, as have similar high profile cases. I think it was kind of refreshing to see a media organization actually holding rich and powerful people to the same standards the rest of us face. That said, Gawker had always been a lovely tabloid rag with massive double standards and blind spots of their own as they preached about the ethical duties of everyone else to be good little progressives, so I don't feel bad for them at all.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

article about the lawyer involved with the gawker case expanding his litigation tactic to other outlets as predicted

http://gizmodo.com/peter-thiel-s-lawyer-isn-t-stopping-his-war-on-journali-1787182743

quote:

On behalf of Superstar Machine’s owner, International Sherick LLC, Harder described 48 separate passages—including “Many of the women involved in Superstar Machine are aspiring actresses, or else deeply involved in New York’s yoga and wellness communities”—as “false and defamatory.” In the same letter, Harder claimed that Merlan’s reporting “has caused Superstar to become the subject of ridicule.”

quote:

In late August, Harder issued several new legal threats against Gizmodo Media Group over stories that were, in some cases, published years ago. One targeted a 2014 Deadspin story about a former ESPN employee named Heather Paskewich, who claimed in a federal lawsuit that her supervisor, Heli Soto, digitally manipulated photos of her to be more “sexually provocative” and posted them online. Harder, who is now representing Soto, listed nine allegedly “false and defamatory” passages from Deadspin’s coverage of the lawsuit.

Each of the passages that Harder describes as defamatory were sourced from Paskewich’s complaint. American courts have widely recognized the right of media outlets to publish and quote from official court records. (According to the case’s April 30, 2015 docket entry, Paskewich and ESPN reached an out-of-court settlement; the terms were not disclosed.)

Karl Barks has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Oct 7, 2016

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
topical
http://gawker.com/journalists-euphemisms-for-the-word-pussy-ranked-1758059794

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007