Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Italian restaurants are always loaded with atmosphere. It doesn't matter that most of the decor is the same in all of them; red and white checkered tablecloths, stiff white linen napkins, candles stuck into empty Chianti bottles, and endless loops of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin songs playing constantly in the background.

Other details common to all of them include the same menus, generous portions of garlic bread that come with the pasta dishes, all served by waitresses who don't smile much. Sampling the house red and white wines is also part of the experience; available by the half-carafe for the more frugal customer who dines alone.

Can you smell the tomato sauce (from a huge can)? Can you hear the staff bickering in the kitchen?

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
still not as good as burritos but pretty loving close

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Jesus Christ posted:

simpler foods for simpler minds

IDGAF.

Italian food is loving tasty. Think of me, what the gently caress you will.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
Italian food is molto bene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSso5a9AxYw

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

do italians still lose their poo poo when you cut spaghetti cause lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the northeast is good because it's got a lot of italian restaurants, even in the suburbs. and some of them aren't even mafia fronts!

Chinatown posted:

i get the italian sausages in the meat section at costco theyre really good with pasta
that's the spirit. gotta get some of those myself. also i just remembered that i froze my last serving of carbonara from last week so i know what i'm having for dinner tomorrow

Number_6 posted:

Johnny Carino's recently declared like super-bankruptcy (again) so if there's one near you, go there before it closes!

http://nrn.com/corporate-news/johnny-carino-s-owner-files-bankruptcy
lol the owner bitched about scary scary obamacare as a reason. that's texas for you

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Unless you get your pizza from a "oh ah mah god it's a really from a Italy, myah family!" place it's all frozen.

Fake dough discs with rising chemicals and assholes that don't wash and sanitize before they touch it.

We've all eaten ballsack pizza.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Have you ever had spaghetti on a hot dog?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

lol the owner bitched about scary scary obamacare as a reason. that's texas for you

Has he ever shown his birth certificate?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Number_6 posted:

Johnny Carino's recently declared like super-bankruptcy (again) so if there's one near you, go there before it closes!

http://nrn.com/corporate-news/johnny-carino-s-owner-files-bankruptcy

What the gently caress do low oil prices have to do with a chain italian joint going out of business? They might as well blame the alignment of the planets or some poo poo

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ChrisHansen posted:

No, but tomorrow I will

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VendaGoat posted:

Has he ever shown his birth certificate?

He wasn't born, he has always been. :tinfoil:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

He wasn't born, he has always been. :tinfoil:

loving :lol:

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

ChrisHansen posted:

Have you ever had a spaghetti sandwich, made with refrigerated leftovers?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Making mini burgers out of pan fried spicy Italian sausage. Makes your home smell insanely good, but gently caress my sensitive smoke detectors :(

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

King Possum III posted:

Have you ever had a spaghetti sandwich, made with refrigerated leftovers?

Skip the spaghetti, and just make a Sloppy Giuseppe! Really thick meaty sauce served on garlic bread like a sloppy joe, but italian

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

ChrisHansen posted:

:eyepop:

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
made a carbonara for the first time recently. i only had rosemary ham instead of bacon/pancetta/etc and i used orecchiette but it was real nice anyway

later my power went out and i had to reheat the leftovers on the stove but i accidentally fried some of the pasta a lil bit and it was good. i recommend this

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
oh yeah. gabagool

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What did the Italians eat before pasta and tomatoes arrived at their shores?

AMLOVINIT
Mar 30, 2016
Been in the restaurant business all my life. Italian food.
There's a reason why you find Italian restaurants in every corner of this world. It. Owns.
It appeals to all.

Fun fact: spaghetti tastes better the next day, just put on the pan, add a touch of olive oil, crack an egg and stir letting the egg cook on the pasta.
awesome stuff.

Try it today recipe; simple and amazing.

Need garlic, chilli and parsley.

Shallow fry garlic (to light brown, not burned)
Add chopped parsley and some salt.
Add pepper at the end (as always, at the end)
Mix, in the pan, with al dente spaghetti (slightly under cooked) and continue to cook for maybe 30 secs.
Yes, that simple. Amazing.

For an added bonus you could add pancetta in the frying mix (do not burn it, add with garlic)

Cheap. Fast. Awesome.

Also: carbonara is ONLY with pecorino romano and pancetta. The rest is just not proper.

But Amatriciana is better.

gently caress, I could go on forever.

EDIT: The reason why Italian restaurants look "simple" is because no Italian gives a poo poo about decor. It is only about the food.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
theres a place nearby thats tucked way in the back of a shopping center that sells fresh uncooked pasta as well as insane lasagna etc and it owns.

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
yea yea hate on my Not Carbonara. w/e i didnt
measure poo poo and my egg didn't scramble and it tasted great

amatriciana is good. puttanesca is super good, whores make a good pasta

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

kazr posted:

you better believe i used a whole clove of garlic

I believe you are confused about the meaning of the word "clove." You mean a whole head of garlic.

I'm only telling you this because sometime in the future you're going to be cooking and a recipe is going to call for 6 cloves of garlic and you are going to seriously gently caress that up.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

Parrot tongues and other weird poo poo, on the whole pasta and tomatoes were a good thing for them

naem
May 29, 2011

Goodpancakes posted:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Please don't pay attention to the Amazon reviews of Mario Batali's Bottled Marinara Sauce, it's great.

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Why the gently caress would you cut spaghetti

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there is no "proper" carbonara because it always tastes good as hell. i do use pecorino romano though, it gives it the best texture

Chief McHeath posted:

Unless you get your pizza from a "oh ah mah god it's a really from a Italy, myah family!" place it's all frozen.

Fake dough discs with rising chemicals and assholes that don't wash and sanitize before they touch it.

i live two blocks away from a place that makes the best drat slice of pizza i've had. it's a little more expensive than average ($3 each) but one slice is all you need. the cheese isn't that shredded mozzarella from a bag that you usually get at even the average pizzeria in NYC, it's some special blend that melts so thick that it's like eating an extra cheese slice. it's so good and i'm upset that i have to wait two weeks to have another slice (it's family-owned and they're going on vacation)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

wtf is wrong with you

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

hth posted:

where the gently caress is the gabagool

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Lasagna is loving tits.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like pizza i guess does that count haha gently caress you

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

Lasagna is loving tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZPkIPfnzqs

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

Lasagna is loving tits.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

He could use some big ol implants.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Like some Beshine or larger implants. God drat.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

please stop objectifying the nice man by imagining making him into your lasagna bitch

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

please stop objectifying the nice man by imagining making him into your lasagna bitch

I just want him to be "piled high" and stacked to the max. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Chief McHeath posted:

you must live in a real dumpster of a town. Most of the pizza places around here you can watch them tossing and spinning the dough and whatnot.

Or maybe that's just for show and they swap the fresh stuff out for the frozen because of being so sneaky?

I'm going to bed now who's cumming with me

• Locked thread