Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Code Jockey posted:

I have severe anxiety, am medicated for it, but weed also just helps smooth off a little more of it and just let go of poo poo I guess

I'm lucky, I only get paranoid when I am Very High Oh poo poo I am Very High And Will Be For A While Uh Oh on edibles

The same with me.

edit for snipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqf1XpvbFTM

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of using weed to reduce anxiety. Any time I was anxious and smoked it just got worse. This is one of those things where the effect of weed seems to differ widely on some people.

There's a dose response thing here. Yeah it can drive anxiety nuts but if you have juuuuust a little bit and then immediately distract yourself with something funny, it helps.

I quit drinking and smoking weed about a year ago and while I don't miss booze at all, I do miss weed. My problem with weed was if I have it, I have no self control, I'm smoking it almost constantly. For some people smoking every day might not be a problem, but for me it was.

When I first went from getting high with a friend every weekend to getting my own stuff I thought, "Well now I have weed to share and maybe I'll smoke by myself on special occasions" but lol, nope, I immediately was smoking every day.

Whenever I feel my use is getting out of control I lock it away with a timer lock of some kind, or a regular padlock and I put the key in little plastic jar full of water then freeze it. I do use daily now but it's small doses and always after 6pm, almost always after 9pm. That works for me, ymmv!

Edit: I don't understand why anyone would ever have alcohol in a world where weed exists, it's the superior experience on every level.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

There's a dose response thing here. Yeah it can drive anxiety nuts but if you have juuuuust a little bit and then immediately distract yourself with something funny, it helps.

Whenever I feel my use is getting out of control I lock it away with a timer lock of some kind, or a regular padlock and I put the key in little plastic jar full of water then freeze it. I do use daily now but it's small doses and always after 6pm, almost always after 9pm. That works for me, ymmv!

Edit: I don't understand why anyone would ever have alcohol in a world where weed exists, it's the superior experience on every level.

Different drugs affect people differently depending on their brain chemistry. If you look at the different categories of drugs like benzos, opiates, stimulants, or psychedelics they affect your brain chemistry in different ways so some people might be drawn more to one or the other. Alcohol is a wildcard because it essentially does it all. Or at least that's my laymen's interpretation of a lecture I heard from an expert on addiction and brain chemistry.

So, no, weed is not superior experience on every level, it just is for certain people. Your true alcoholics, for instance, will go nuts when they drink and never want to stop to the point that they're putting sugar packets in hand sanitizer, whereas if they smoke weed they can take it or leave it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i love wine and whisky but i rarely drink to the point of intoxication. i have a drink or two most nights but i dont think ive been truly drunk in over a decade. its a completely different thing for me than weed, much more about the taste than about the intoxication, and as such it doesnt really make sense to think of it as either "inferior" or "superior" to weed, as an experience

however in terms of health effects and how one feels the day after excess, i think its fairly objective that alcohol is worse. people die of alcohol poisoning all the time, weed-related deaths or serious health problems are pretty rare, and a typical "weed hangover" is pretty mild compared to alcohol

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 12, 2024

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't even know why I drink alcohol outside of habit. Lately I switched from beer to hard seltzers, and I think soon I'm going to switch to regular seltzer water to give myself something to sip on during the 9pm-12 hours and see if I can just cut it out.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So, no, weed is not superior experience on every level, it just is for certain people. Your true alcoholics, for instance, will go nuts when they drink and never want to stop to the point that they're putting sugar packets in hand sanitizer, whereas if they smoke weed they can take it or leave it.

I mean, yeah, people have different reactions to different things but I'd consider the physically addictive nature of alcohol to be part of what makes it a worse experience.

I can't imagine the people putting sugar packets in hand sanitizer are actually enjoying that experience or extolling its virtues online.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

now that's a proper trap house. drat I haven't listened to aesop rock in 20 years and like his voice totally changed. he sounds more like ICP now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I can't imagine the people putting sugar packets in hand sanitizer are actually enjoying that experience or extolling its virtues online.

Someone wrote a song about it (though it's not serious)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOCdIY_HKM4

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

I mean, yeah, people have different reactions to different things but I'd consider the physically addictive nature of alcohol to be part of what makes it a worse experience.

Weed is absolutely physically addictive for at least a percentage of the population. My addiction to weed is far more debilitating than my addiction to alcohol, which actually doesn't exist even though I drink. I can stop drinking. I cannot stop smoking.

This may involve other physical factors like weed treating ailments that would otherwise go untreated, but to step back and look at the big picture, weed can absolutely be physically addictive. If we want to get into semantics about what constitutes physical and psychological addiction, that's cool, but when the response to quitting is a very real physical withdrawal response, the semantics don't matter. For the individual, and the purposes of your argument, the response is just as also painful.

e: I'm sure weed withdrawals probably don't compare to what an actual alcoholic experiences. I don't have any frame of reference for this besides alcoholism brutally ravaged my family.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 12, 2024

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Weed is also mostly benign compared to other things that get you high, sure. I have mixed feelings on the idea that it's OK to be high all the time because of that whereas others don't see any problem with it, but to each their own.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jelly posted:

Weed is 100% physically addictive for at least a percentage of the population. My addiction to weed is far more debilitating than my addiction to alcohol, which actually doesn't exist even though I drink. I can stop drinking. I cannot stop smoking.

This may involve other physical factors like weed treating ailments that would otherwise go untreated, but to step back and look at the big picture, weed can absolutely be physically addictive. If we want to get into semantics about what constitutes physical and psychological addiction, that's cool, but when the response to quitting is a very real physical withdrawal response, the semantics don't matter. For the individual, and the purposes of your argument, the response is just as painful.

Fair, no disputes on anything you said there.

I think alcohol has more potential for addiction for a higher percentage of the population. Also, seems like it's less likely for someone to get high on weed then beat the poo poo out of their kids or whatever. I dunno, I really don't find alcohol all that great and almost never have it. But yeah obviously my experience is not the same as everyone else's.

Some of you like the feeling of alcohol, and I guess that's fine. I would really like it if everyone stopped pretending to like the taste of beer, though. You're not fooling anyone, it's a bad tasting beverage.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
harm reduction thats all i gotta say i ain't readin all those fuckin words

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
also i love alcohol and weed and sometimes just one, sometimes both. both while alone isn't really that great unless you're having a pre-sleep joint after a few drinks

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Some of you like the feeling of alcohol, and I guess that's fine. I would really like it if everyone stopped pretending to like the taste of beer, though. You're not fooling anyone, it's a bad tasting beverage.
It's really not. Acquired taste is a very real thing and as someone who likes what people consider the foulest of beers, it genuinely tastes good to me, and I like it very much. It's been very hard to give up and it's not because I crave the feeling. I crave the taste.

I also like the taste of Red Bull which is another thing that triggers people for some reason. And Kombucha.

I know there's a group of people you seem to fall in that simply don't believe this but I have nothing to gain by lying here. Bitter is a flavor spectrum to be explored. Haven't you ever had a food you hated and then liked later?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Fair, no disputes on anything you said there.

I think alcohol has more potential for addiction for a higher percentage of the population. Also, seems like it's less likely for someone to get high on weed then beat the poo poo out of their kids or whatever. I dunno, I really don't find alcohol all that great and almost never have it. But yeah obviously my experience is not the same as everyone else's.

Nah... I like the taste of beer but I don't particularly have any desire to consume alcohol more than maybe one drink a month

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jelly posted:

e: I'm sure weed withdrawals probably don't compare to what an actual alcoholic experiences.

i mean the main difference is that alcohol withdrawal, if handled improperly, can literally be fatal. weed withdrawal might be terribly painful for some people, but i dont think there are any cases of it resulting in death or permanent brain damage.

and again its not just the withdrawal but the consumption itself. people drink themselves to death all the time. while i think at this point a few thc overdoses have been recorded its extremely rare and unlikely to happen unless you go completely insane with edibles or something

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

It's been years since I've been able to find it at my local stores and this is still the best beer I've ever tasted:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jelly posted:

It's really not. Acquired taste is a very real thing and as someone who likes what people consider the foulest of beers, it genuinely tastes good to me, and I like it very much. It's been very hard to give up and it's not because I crave the feeling. I crave the taste.

I also like the taste of Red Bull which is another thing that triggers people for some reason. And Kombucha.

I know there's a group of people you seem to fall in that simply don't believe this but I have nothing to gain by lying here. Bitter is a flavor spectrum to be explored. Haven't you ever had a food you hated and then liked later?

I'm playing around. I'm making a joke about how much I dislike beer, by pretending not to understand how anyone could possibly like it. I thought it was obvious what I was going for. I don't mean to be a problem person I'm trying to be a fun light hearted person.

I like black licorice and black jelly beans, a lonely category, so I understand liking things that other people find gross.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there are also many beers that are not particularly bitter. i'm not really into ipa's and that very hoppy flavor, but i love hefeweizen, they have a lighter and often fruitier taste.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I used to be really into beer then got into weed and stopped drinking, now I'm into making cocktails sometimes I even put liquid THC in them. There is something really fun about shaking a cocktail shaker while your high is starting. You don't even have to put booze in, find an excuse to just shake some juices together. Do not forget that soda water should not be shaken!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
smoke weed :weed:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

While we're exploring beverages I would like to state that smoking weed and drinking tea are the best of friends.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I used to put diet sprite in my bong. Then I'd run the herbalair vaporizer through the tube with the fan on into that bong. So it was lightly lemon flavored weed vapor getting pushed into my lungs without even having to try that hard to inhale. I haven't done that in a long time and don't have a vape with a fan anymore.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

a bit of fruit juice tends to go well in my experience, too

Jelly posted:

It's been years since I've been able to find it at my local stores and this is still the best beer I've ever tasted:

going to slightly continue this derail, but you might be able to find it more easily in the future - Laurelwood Brewing Co. increased their bottle/keg production after they finally closed down their pubhouse last year

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I just ran my fastest 7 miles ever today. Thanks weed!

gently caress alcohol.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I just ran my fastest 7 miles ever today. Thanks weed!

gently caress alcohol.

Time per mile?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Hellblazer187 posted:

I used to put diet sprite in my bong. Then I'd run the herbalair vaporizer through the tube with the fan on into that bong. So it was lightly lemon flavored weed vapor getting pushed into my lungs without even having to try that hard to inhale. I haven't done that in a long time and don't have a vape with a fan anymore.

this is how you get cancer

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My fastest mile at long distance was sub 6 minutes which is honestly too fast.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If I stop using weed, my body hurts. Does that mean I'm addicted?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

fuctifino posted:

If I stop using weed, my body hurts. Does that mean I'm addicted?

Do you feel addicted?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

redshirt posted:

Time per mile?

redshirt posted:

My fastest mile at long distance was sub 6 minutes which is honestly too fast.

I got no clue on my early days of running cause I didn't have a gps watch. my fastest mile lately is 7:18, and I'm dying to go faster and faster.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My man!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

hell yeah. smoking weed after a run, can't beat it. also eating a shitload.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

hell yeah. smoking weed after a run, can't beat it. also eating a shitload.

I love your time. That's a hell of a pace.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i love intoxicants

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

bagmonkey posted:

i love intoxicants

all these idiots removing toxins from their bodies

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

i love intoxicants

Hell yeah brother

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
it was restock the drugs bin time today. we bought a 6 pack of rollies and three packs of tasty candies. we got butterscotch, raspberry, and peach. these are the candies that came with a bonus goober of thc twice in the past and i live in hope that i'll find more of those.

now mrs d8 and i are all smoked up. she is playing x-com while i gently caress around on the internet. life is good.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The angel closes her eyes
The confusion that was hers
Belongs now, to the baby down the hall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

redshirt posted:

I love your time. That's a hell of a pace.

cheers to that.

keep blazin'