Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Chapter Six - 240 Degrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

I wonder how many other dysfunctional couples have whole reels of unhappy videos

"Here she is eating alone next to the plate she set for me, what a sweetie. And here she is sleeping alone... nevermind why I had all these cameras around the house."

Also that's not what adjourn means. :eng99:

I liked the look and gimmick for this level anyway, even if it's becoming increasingly clear our guy was part of some kind of golden era DC comics villain gang.

Well, revival, since it's the future.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How would this level go with the mouse control? The platforming looks pretty unforgiving for the whole game, adding these traps to it feels just... mean.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anoia posted:

I wonder how many other dysfunctional couples have whole reels of unhappy videos

"Here she is eating alone next to the plate she set for me, what a sweetie. And here she is sleeping alone... nevermind why I had all these cameras around the house."

Also that's not what adjourn means. :eng99:

I liked the look and gimmick for this level anyway, even if it's becoming increasingly clear our guy was part of some kind of golden era DC comics villain gang.

Well, revival, since it's the future.

Having finished the game, the reason for the miserable home videos is actually something we'll come back to

anilEhilated posted:

How would this level go with the mouse control? The platforming looks pretty unforgiving for the whole game, adding these traps to it feels just... mean.

From here onwards I can't see how it's possible. I would love to see an Lp of someone doing it

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

Having finished the game, the reason for the miserable home videos is actually something we'll come back to
Remind me - have we actually seen the two together on any of them? "Stalker installing cameras in someone else's flat" really isn't something I'd put past our hero.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Remind me - have we actually seen the two together on any of them? "Stalker installing cameras in someone else's flat" really isn't something I'd put past our hero.

But the Never There jar!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Twice I believe, the first time where Emily had set up the holographic recorder, and the second when they were in bed and he was leaving... and then for some reason she phased out of the recording....

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I have a backlog of episodes now, so might be as often as daily, depending on personal motivation and/or procrastination of more important things.

Chapter Seven - Through Forgery We Thrive

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

I like this boss because it acknowledges that if this really were a rescue mission, he wouldn't list 12 Bad People and go kill a different one each night without ever speaking a word to them or showing any interest in gaining any information at all. It's been at least a full week now of our hero's killing spree and he hasn't actually done a single thing relating to Emily. The only thing he HAS done is get the police interested in bringing him in.

This is the first boss so far to call out the main guy on this whole thing being really, really stupid, and that's good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Finally watched this whole LP - the game is fascinating even if I'd never want to play it, thank you so much for showing it off.

I feel like the levels have slowly devolved from cyberpunk vendetta to a gang of supervillains. Vikings? Clowns? That jet? Game, you're breaking character!

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, i noticed that on the levels with just giant vikings, you got the bonus for not killing anything. I have no idea what to make of it, but its something I noticed.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finally watched this whole LP - the game is fascinating even if I'd never want to play it, thank you so much for showing it off.

I feel like the levels have slowly devolved from cyberpunk vendetta to a gang of supervillains. Vikings? Clowns? That jet? Game, you're breaking character!

This is intentional, without wanting to say anything else about it (except the jet, which I dunno)

Zoig posted:

So, i noticed that on the levels with just giant vikings, you got the bonus for not killing anything. I have no idea what to make of it, but its something I noticed.

Dang, forgot to mention that, as it didn't happen at all in my playthrough recording. The vikings can't actually be killed, they get back up, so I guess knocking them out doesn't count towards your kill count.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what's with the boss' name? It makes me think of eudaimonia, but that's probably more because of the news item you looked at in the flat.
Also this fight seems to be pure hell on timing. Between this and Gods Will Be Watching, gotta thank you for LPing games that have interesting stories and look like utter poo poo to play.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I wonder what's with the boss' name? It makes me think of eudaimonia, but that's probably more because of the news item you looked at in the flat.

Apparently I'm terrible at google. Yes, that's probably exactly what it's referring to.

anilEhilated posted:

Also this fight seems to be pure hell on timing. Between this and Gods Will Be Watching, gotta thank you for LPing games that have interesting stories and look like utter poo poo to play.

Oh man, we're not even close to the bullshit yet. Seriously though, none of the bosses are that hard once you figure out how go about them, except Shay in my opinion. The next level in particular is (appropriately), a massive pile of hot garbage to play through.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The font they use for the title cards is really bugging me, but I guess that's also why you use a different one for episode banners.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anoia posted:

The font they use for the title cards is really bugging me, but I guess that's also why you use a different one for episode banners.

Well spotted. Yeah, no idea what's going on with the letter k there.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Chapter Eight - Illusions of Grandeur

This loving stage. While different stages are difficult for different reasons, I think this is the hardest except for maybe the last one.

NEXT TIME ON UNTIL I HAVE YOU

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 16, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Chapter Eight - Illusions of Grandeur

This loving stage. While different stages are difficult for different reasons, I think this is the hardest except for maybe the last one.

The text link leads to the previous stage, but the banner leads to the right video.

e: Oh god, why do I have the feeling that we broke into a hospital and if not for the hallucinations we'd see that we were torching security guards.

I also feel like that boss' monologue didn't come from him - that Junkyard line aside, it sounds like something Snugglecakes would say.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 16, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

The text link leads to the previous stage, but the banner leads to the right video.

I'm terrible, thank you.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can those crane hands break platforms?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Why is an unrepentant killer hallucinating silly poo poo like giant vikings and mechs? I know this game's trying as hard as it possibly can to ape Hotline Miami, but at least all the breaks with reality you see in Hotline are relevant to the characters' actions and pasts, not just random stuff.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fiendly posted:

Why is an unrepentant killer hallucinating silly poo poo like giant vikings and mechs? I know this game's trying as hard as it possibly can to ape Hotline Miami, but at least all the breaks with reality you see in Hotline are relevant to the characters' actions and pasts, not just random stuff.

We are obsessed with murdering a particular character each time and I think the obsession is forming part of out hallucinations. It doesn't make sense there are vikings no, but it is within reason to suggest that in our rampage towards killing Eudomous, a huge muscly enemy, that we hallucinate these factors onto other more mundane security guards. Likewise, when chasing Octavio, a (more than) half machine, we picture watchtowers as a massive mechanical monstrosity instead.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can those crane hands break platforms?

Eventually yes, although I can't imagine anyone who gets to the last level in that stage will ever have a problem with that particular element.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but where is the guy who made this game from? The incredibly weird verbiage is loving with my head.

Like why does he say "you cannot halt the flow of things" instead of "you cannot stop me" or something?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but where is the guy who made this game from? The incredibly weird verbiage is loving with my head.

Like why does he say "you cannot halt the flow of things" instead of "you cannot stop me" or something?

I don't think I mentioned it, but he is a Greek guy called James Spanos.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Zenithe posted:

I don't think I mentioned it, but he is a Greek guy called James Spanos.

Ah, that explains a lot.

And in a world where you can get eye recorders and super exoskeletons, Octavio went to whoever makes prosthetics and said "Remember Wild Wild West? Gimme that."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Or did he? I'm honestly extremely suspicious about the depiction of anything in the game right now.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

I just chalked it up to the game maker going for a bit of flare and drama. Weird verbiage is memorable. Alternatively the protagonist is a pretty smart dude who is trying to paint himself a prettier picture. "You can't stop me" is a guy going against whatever this organization is. "You cannot halt the flow of things" is the world going against the organization. Thinking of things in the second way would certainly make me feel better if I was doing this suicidal endeavor.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Chapter Nine - Decadence

It appears the dev is still watching this LP, which is kind of cool

And also that my last chapter lead to a few big fixes.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 18, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wow, very similar to the last boss in feel. Those skeleton-zombies must have been security guards, and she was definitely on life-support.

I...have no idea what the insanity hourglasses could be, though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Zenithe posted:

It appears the dev is still watching this LP, which is kind of cool

And also that my last chapter lead to a few big fixes.

I might buy this game just because the dev seems to be a cool person. The gameplay isn't quite my type, but the style is still pretty cool. I've bought games for worse reasons.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I really like the sound track and aesthetic for the game, flaws aside, and the turn it's taken is genuinely kinda cool. I don't think I could play it though, especially with these last platforming bits.

And that title card font is still bugging me. It looks like someone's first awkwardly handmade pixel font.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Well, that was... abrupt.
I mean, I know we've had the hallucinations since chapter 3 or so, but I was expecting something more gradual than this. I won't say I dislike it, but it's kinda jarring to go from Blade Runner to Splatterhouse.

Also, this is the kind of developer I can respect; it sounds like he's really paying attention to what people are saying.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

azren posted:

Also, this is the kind of developer I can respect; it sounds like he's really paying attention to what people are saying.

Just for context, I uploaded chapter 8 on the 15th, and the patch fixing the issues he saw in the LP hit the next day. That's crazy. One of them wasn't even a comment I made (the swarm robots) but that he thought was a little too unfair.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Chapter Ten - Point of No Return

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I love how the end of level screen still docks you points for hallucinations.

You're killing xenomorphs while hopping around through the meaty blood sacks of your own psyche, I think those count.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I love how the end of level screen still docks you points for hallucinations.

You're killing xenomorphs while hopping around through the meaty blood sacks of your own psyche, I think those count.

It's not phrased very well. It just means you had low hysteria, and rather tellingly in these later levels, low hysteria does not impact either the landscape or the enemies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Compound. Did we break into a heavily guarded medical unit again?

I'm getting more and more concerned about what we're actually doing under those hallucinations, and I can't wait for the next episode - you're doing cool work, Zenithe!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

This is like what Silent Hill 3 did with that throwaway "they look like monsters to you?" line. Only yeah, you're definitely hosed up and those are people.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Compound. Did we break into a heavily guarded medical unit again?

I'm getting more and more concerned about what we're actually doing under those hallucinations, and I can't wait for the next episode - you're doing cool work, Zenithe!

It's not clear obviously, but it definitely wasn't good. It's almost certainly not what you think too.

Anoia posted:

This is like what Silent Hill 3 did with that throwaway "they look like monsters to you?" line. Only yeah, you're definitely hosed up and those are people.

It's pretty blatant. The change between the levels, full of your hallucinations and rampage, then the background information via work orders and news bulletins makes it hard to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Though unlike Silent Hill 3, our protagonist doesn't really have a problem murdering people anyway, whether they look like monsters or not.

• Locked thread