Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I'm not nearly caught up yet and platformers aren't really my thing but this game looks really slick and engaging and I'm liking this lp a lot. This game is like the opposite of VA11 -HA11-A (sp?) in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Kurieg posted:

Though unlike Silent Hill 3, our protagonist doesn't really have a problem murdering people anyway, whether they look like monsters or not.

So basically we're the protag from Silent Hill: the Room. These two have about the same level of blase toward the increasingly weird poo poo happening.

"Huh... That's concerning. Welp, back to whacking things with my pipe/cyberbat."

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anoia posted:

So basically we're the protag from Silent Hill: the Room. These two have about the same level of blase toward the increasingly weird poo poo happening.

"Huh... That's concerning. Welp, back to whacking things with my pipe/cyberbat."

No but totally, it's all to get our wife back. Which involves murdering a cosplayer. And a political activist. And a model

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Zenithe posted:

No but totally, it's all to get our wife back. Which involves murdering a cosplayer. And a political activist. And a model

Oh, so that was a vat of ultra skin cream?

Seems about right.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anoia posted:

Oh, so that was a vat of ultra skin cream?

Seems about right.

Sorry, he was a transhumanist model, trying to replace as much as possible with hardware

I assume it was keeping him alive for all the surgeries he was going through.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Zenithe posted:

Sorry, he was a transhumanist model, trying to replace as much as possible with hardware

I assume it was keeping him alive for all the surgeries he was going through.

Admittedly cooler.

I like it when transhumanism goes... haywire. :cool:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

In the category of "poo poo I really should have recorded" I completed the boss rush on hardmode (one life), an achievement that only 0.1% of all people who have played the game have got.

Bugged out at the end though, and the sick last boss music wasn't there :(

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 22, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Chapter Eleven - Join the Glorious Revolution

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think I get a bit of it- the target this time around had the same sort of tank in the background as the activist from earlier did. I suspect that the last handful of targets were all trying to achieve the sort of state that this guy was. Maybe some sort of nanotech thing. Based on the lack of glitches I think this level was actually mostly hallucination-free.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think we're still missing a major part of the story, mainly what happened in his immediate past that necessitated the use of the exosuit in the first place. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if none of his memories are real and he's really just a fabricated wholesale assassin tailor made to kill these 12 people for REASON.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I think I get a bit of it- the target this time around had the same sort of tank in the background as the activist from earlier did. I suspect that the last handful of targets were all trying to achieve the sort of state that this guy was. Maybe some sort of nanotech thing. Based on the lack of glitches I think this level was actually mostly hallucination-free.

I made that connection too, although my interpretation was the Reinweiss was involved in it's research and creation. If you remember, Nina's order was for classified illegal research and I assumed Reinweiss was the guy conducting it.

I went the whole other path with the sanity and assumed that this stage was mostly hallucinations though...

Kurieg posted:

I think we're still missing a major part of the story, mainly what happened in his immediate past that necessitated the use of the exosuit in the first place. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if none of his memories are real and he's really just a fabricated wholesale assassin tailor made to kill these 12 people for REASON.

According to us, we got the suit from the Doctor to conduct our rampage. According to the Doctor who was at least involved in it's creation, we got it for some other unspecified reason, but she was super upset at us when she found out what we were doing with it. She didn't stop helping us though, and wants us to stop.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all comes together and also holy poo poo were they ever rough with girlfriend.

Oh and I forgot to mention before, but I can't believe she actually calls him Artist in a previous video. I laughed out loud at that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
why is the doctor lady still helping this guy, he's a dick

also are we gonna end up having accidentally killed the girlfriend at some point, i feel like this is where it's going

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The guys who kidnapped/beat up our girlfriend were wearing suits the same as ours so I'm pretty sure something is going to be up. Particularly since I seem to remember the Doctor saying she invented the suit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Guy number 12 is almost certainly our exosuit wearing, girlfriend-kidnapping flashback buddy.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Final Chapter - Growing numb

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Am I the only one who doesn't understand Reinweiss's work order? You'd think the cost to pay someone to "gather" and then hand over $1 million would be somewhere around $1 million.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh i guess that's why she keeps helping him

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't understand Reinweiss's work order? You'd think the cost to pay someone to "gather" and then hand over $1 million would be somewhere around $1 million.

It doesn't really make any sense, no.

Stealing valuables/materials that are worth $1,000,000 to someone with the right equipment/right connections but are nearly worthless to a lay person would make sense.
Giving someone a tip for a $3,000,000 heist and asking for a $1,000,000 share from it would make sense.

But "Acquire $1,000,000 and give it to this guy" doesn't make any sense unless this master thief artist thief particularly likes doing pro bono work.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The last guy had another red fluid chamber in his room, too.

At a guess, Neo-Faith was having this guy both set up, and take down, his targets. The work orders could come from them, meaning there's no need for pay.

The ending implies that the events of the game are not the first time he's done this whole exosuit-fueled rampage thing. It seems like Neo-Faith keeps him in storage and sends him out to do this periodically, then wipes his memories each time. Maybe.

The game is trying to have the "cycle repeats itself" scenario, but also break it for a more linear narrative at the same time. Of course, these two contradict each other (there are a lot of comments from characters that only make sense if this is the first time he's done this), so it's unclear what's actually going on.

The dev is leaning really heavily on the unreliable narrator to handle these contradictions, but it's hit the point for me where it's just unsatisfying. I wish there weren't so many translation errors; I can't tell what's intentionally ambiguous, what's symbolic, and what's just poor english.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 24, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

What's the deal with the two endings, is one the one you get if you get 100% Or is it just 'WHICH ONE HAPPENED!? WHO KNOWS!??!" levels of "the game isn't done loving with us?"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The latter. I'm actually wondering if the dev couldn't make up their mind.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I guess the protagonist is slightly less of a shitheel than I originally thought. That's, uh, about it. Somewhat disappointing to tell the truth, although I guess it was foreshadowed by the bit with the exoskeletons.

e:There's some rather ridiculous stuff, like the last boss is apparently the guy Neo-Faith sent out to assassinate Emily, but if this has been going on for who knows how long, it's a bit too convenient we get to murder him at the end - or the fact we seem to know some of these guys from before while the protagonist is supposed to have been locked in some kind of stasis so he won't get killed by brain damage...
I mean, sure, we don't know how much of that is he hallucinating, but the whole thing just feels lazy.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 24, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

What's the deal with the two endings, is one the one you get if you get 100% Or is it just 'WHICH ONE HAPPENED!? WHO KNOWS!??!" levels of "the game isn't done loving with us?"

it's just to gently caress with you i'm sure, tho i guess you could interpertate it as being that at some point in the future the protag will break the cycle or something

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The twist would've had a little more impact of the VA was capable of emoting at all. I mean, she tried with "you never get to win" bit still :geno:

The escape ending, though... that was just excessive.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
THe escape ending could be seen as just another hallucination The Artist experiences as his mind is wiped.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

My thoughts on the two endings are basically that either no matter what actually happens at this point, your life is ruined and there is nothing you can do about it. You either return to being a rage fuelled attack dog, or you live in the knowledge that all of your actions were for nothing and you will never be reunited with Emily.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Zenithe posted:

My thoughts on the two endings are basically that either no matter what actually happens at this point, your life is ruined and there is nothing you can do about it. You either return to being a rage fuelled attack dog, or you live in the knowledge that all of your actions were for nothing and you will never be reunited with Emily.

So really the Artist being a completely unsympathetic character works well.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anoia posted:

So really the Artist being a completely unsympathetic character works well.

Up until the end I would agree with you. While I don't think he is sympathetic mostly, the revelation that he has been manipulated repeatedly into these actions does make me feel for the guy at least in that regard.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So, were the level select screens after you selected a chapter video recordings from that last guy stalking and killing your wife?

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Zenithe posted:

Up until the end I would agree with you. While I don't think he is sympathetic mostly, the revelation that he has been manipulated repeatedly into these actions does make me feel for the guy at least in that regard.

The guy's an rear end in a top hat and it's hard to root for him, but as loathsome as he is, I think there is pathos in the notion that a corporation is using what is essentially a man's technologically zombified body to do its dirty work, letting him keep just enough of his old self to allow his grief and fury to power his skill and perseverance. That it happens specifically to him is not scary by itself, but that it happens at all, to anyone, is horrifying. We can't or don't want to relate to his actions, but despite everything, he's still human, he is denied repose, and we feel for him because the people holding his leash are much worse than he is. The world is hell to him, and he's damned over and over again, every cycle adding to the blood on his hands. No wonder he sees what he sees.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So, were the level select screens after you selected a chapter video recordings from that last guy stalking and killing your wife?

I assumed they were recordings of when she was taken hostage originally, although in the context it could be any number of things, real or imagined.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

The dev is leaning really heavily on the unreliable narrator to handle these contradictions, but it's hit the point for me where it's just unsatisfying. I wish there weren't so many translation errors; I can't tell what's intentionally ambiguous, what's symbolic, and what's just poor english.

...yyyeah. I was intrigued enough to watch all the videos in one sitting, but by about video 7 or 8 the game was starting to lose me. "Leaning really heavily on the unreliable narrator" is a good way to describe it.

Even if it really is just "cyberpunk Memento plot with Silent Hill hallucinations" it still feels like there's some major holes that can't (or shouldn't, at least) be waved away with "he's crazy-pants".

Zenithe, would you be willing to share your interpretation with us? I'm guessing you've got some insight into the mindfuckery, if you were willing to put up with that much bullshit platforming for us. :shobon:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ghost of Starman posted:

Zenithe, would you be willing to share your interpretation with us? I'm guessing you've got some insight into the mindfuckery, if you were willing to put up with that much bullshit platforming for us. :shobon:

Please let me know of any holes in this chain of events. There is already a big one for this theory, and more on that later.

Your character's previous criminal life consisted mostly of smuggling illegal goods, and financial related activities for the dirty side of Neo-Faith. At some point, you tried to leave Neo-Faith and noticing how possessive and yet dismissive you are of Emily, Keiroth comes up with the idea to make you an unwilling assassin for Neo-Faith. Roy provides the technology to help you in this regard, posing as your friend, but importantly gives you the exoskeleton, allowing her to remote control certain things, monitor you, and allows your character to be much more powerful than they would otherwise be. When everything is good to go, Keiroth kidnaps and beats Emily (which gets recorded) and you wake up disoriented and full of rage in a room. The room is full of sad and bittersweet memories of you and Emily, and on the wall is a convenient list of targets that you convince yourself were responsible for what has happened.

You go after your targets, Roy helps you while acting innocent and concerned about your safety, while actually keeping you on target and monitoring the exoskeleton and eventually you end up at the last person on your list, Keiroth. When it goes to plan, he subdues you, Roy remote controls your suit and wipes your memories, while Keiroth sets up a new room full of crazy to inspire you for next time. This fits in quite well with what I feel is going on with one fairly large issue I haven't figured out. Why did Roy shoot Keiroth?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

Why did Roy shoot Keiroth?
Yeah, that's the big one, especially since both endings imply they want to use you this way again - and now they'd have to set up a whole new story for you.
The handwavy explanation would be "cyberpunk corporate politics" - guy got in someone's way, was considered expandable - but that's just lazy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm not clear on whether Keiroth ever actually 1. worked for neo-faith, or 2. was involved with the kidnapping. I don't think neo-faith was involved with the kidnapping at all- they just took advantage of you when you took the suit. I think the helmeted guy in the other scenes with Roy is someone different- different voice and helmet. But, again, the plot makes no sense on a bunch of levels, and there's a lot of hackneyed stuff happening to paper over the gaps. Roy shows up to shoot Keiroth because they needed an excuse for her to be there. Keiroth suddenly corners you because they needed a reason for Roy to shoot him.

Is Emily supposed to still be alive?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 27, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It might be safe to assume anyone is an exo-suit is probably not really in control, and Keiroth looked to be wearing the exo-suit to end all exo-suits.

EDIT: Also, if Emily didn't want to be saved, why was she kidnapped? Is Keiroth actually the husband? Is Roy actually Emily? Are we Emily? Plot kinda falls apart at the end.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 27, 2016

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I gotta tell you, for most of the ramp up to the end I thought for sure it was gonna drop "we killed Emily" on us at some point. Hell, I would've bet that #9 (I think? Nina, girl in the big tube? Gets her head bludgeoned into a puddle after the fight?) was a shoo-in for "Emily as seen through a hallucination."

I don't think that's actually what happened / what the game's trying to tell us, but yet another chip on the "too much ambiguity" pile.

(Bonus super seekrit conspiracy theory: Guy In Mask who's seen kidnapping Emily was the Artist dun dun dunnnnn)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not clear on whether Keiroth ever actually 1. worked for neo-faith, or 2. was involved with the kidnapping. I don't think neo-faith was involved with the kidnapping at all- they just took advantage of you when you took the suit.

I assumed he was the one who orchestrated the plan to use you. Roy seems pretty clear at the end though that she gave you the suit though. As to Emily's status, I think the point isn't so much "is she alive" as, "for you, it doesn't matter in the slightest anymore".

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It might be safe to assume anyone is an exo-suit is probably not really in control, and Keiroth looked to be wearing the exo-suit to end all exo-suits.

EDIT: Also, if Emily didn't want to be saved, why was she kidnapped? Is Keiroth actually the husband? Is Roy actually Emily? Are we Emily? Plot kinda falls apart at the end.

Was thinking about this yesterday, and considered that perhaps the brain damage was a feature of our suit and not a side effect. Presumably Keiroth has a suit with similar features, especially time dilation but doesn't appear to suffer any ill effects from it.

Also she was kidnapped because we were a possessive dick , and they knew it would get to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ghost of Starman posted:

(Bonus super seekrit conspiracy theory: Guy In Mask who's seen kidnapping Emily was the Artist dun dun dunnnnn)

It was probably Keiroth, and he literally calls himself "the artist" before you fight him?

• Locked thread