Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Double heads up me and BBG were completely unable to get deadly shadows working a year or so ago

well past the tutorial level where the game would crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I should pick up thief again but I think I'll play it safe and get it on gog

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

frank.club posted:

Double heads up me and BBG were completely unable to get deadly shadows working a year or so ago

well past the tutorial level where the game would crash

there are patchers for all of them.. idk if that would fix 3 but the t1 patch works great http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squeezy Farm posted:

there are patchers for all of them.. idk if that would fix 3 but the t1 patch works great http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607

I'll see if this works

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
at least in windows 7, thief 1 runs fine from the original disc. all you have to do is limit it to a single core (just changing some checkboxes), and it's fine

funny if t3 is less stable than the original

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

at least in windows 7, thief 1 runs fine from the original disc. all you have to do is limit it to a single core (just changing some checkboxes), and it's fine

funny if t3 is less stable than the original

its on the famously broken engine used for deus ex invisible war so its not that surprising at all actually

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trying to jack off posted:

its on the famously broken engine used for deus ex invisible war so its not that surprising at all actually

the link earlier actually fixes it! however, it does still do that insane thing where the game closes and reloads on every level lmao

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

frank.club posted:

the link earlier actually fixes it! however, it does still do that insane thing where the game closes and reloads on every level lmao

That's the engine, IW does the same poo poo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i played a lot more of 2 than 1 i think was the crazy alice in wonderland house with the sword in 1 or 2

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

frank.club posted:

Benny D posted:

yeah, lmao

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

ArfJason posted:

i played a lot more of 2 than 1 i think was the crazy alice in wonderland house with the sword in 1 or 2

just got to that level :cheers;

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
that levels so cool. I should finish both T1 and T2 some day.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ArfJason posted:

that levels so cool. I should finish both T1 and T2 some day.

Both drat fine games. You should.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

I think that's the craziest thing I've seen a game do that's just functioning as normal. I don't how games work but it's cool that they're the one developers to ever gently caress up in that extremely specific way

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well it loads in really quick but I bet on release it was nightmarish

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
The Sword was sweet. Thieves Guild... not so much. Cool concept to have a huge underground complex and warring leaders but everything freakin looks the same so I got lost.

I distinctly remember seeing a screenshot of The Sword and that was the reason I bought thief as a kid. Nice to finally experience t.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Squeezy Farm posted:

The Sword was sweet. Thieves Guild... not so much. Cool concept to have a huge underground complex and warring leaders but everything freakin looks the same so I got lost.

I distinctly remember seeing a screenshot of The Sword and that was the reason I bought thief as a kid. Nice to finally experience t.

oh wait is that stage the one where its like an enormous undergournd set of like catacombs full of structures you have to climb? i remember spending too much time on that stage to the point i fought my hoarding completionist impulses and carried on with the endlevel goal

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Squeezy Farm posted:

The Sword was sweet.

was that the one where you have to steal the sword from constantine's mansion
because that poo poo was trippy as gently caress

was there a development reason behind why in thief 2 there's a mission that basically repeats twice, that always seemed off even if the story tried to justify it

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

ArfJason posted:

oh wait is that stage the one where its like an enormous undergournd set of like catacombs full of structures you have to climb? i remember spending too much time on that stage to the point i fought my hoarding completionist impulses and carried on with the endlevel goal

Nah its the sewer level. the catacombs one has zombies and a much cooler layout

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I Said No posted:

was there a development reason behind why in thief 2 there's a mission that basically repeats twice, that always seemed off even if the story tried to justify it
there were meant to be two levels in between that were cut for time, they were going to be added in Thief 2 Gold but Looking Glass died before it could be released. rip

quote:

Culture Break
Garrett must break into a high security museum, heavily guarded and outfitted with the latest Mechanist security devices. This mission will appear just after Casing the Joint. While waiting for Gervasius' exhibition to launch, Garrett is side-tracked by a certain relic which would prove extremely dangerous if it fell into the wrong hands. This mission features a similar architectural style to First City Bank and Trust.

Waking the Dead
This mission is set in the frozen mountains north of the City and is slotted between Culture Break and Masks. In it, Garrett must journey to the castle of the Necromancers, a secretive and evil offshoot of the Hand Brotherhood. Garrett will confront new undead creatures (which may turn out looking remarkably similar to Draugr from the Elder Scrolls 3 expansion "Bloodmoon") and evil dark mages in an attempt to stop an ancient evil. Fog and snow will dominate the precarious mountain fortress as Garrett uncovers the sick experiments of these twisted old men. Thief: The Dark Project had the unforgettable Return to the Cathedral. Thief: Deadly Shadows had the incomparable Cradle. Waking the Dead is our chance to add a seriously chilling undead experience to Thief 2.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I think that's the craziest thing I've seen a game do that's just functioning as normal. I don't how games work but it's cool that they're the one developers to ever gently caress up in that extremely specific way

I just looked into this and the answer is kind interesting: in 2007 warren specter taught a master class in game design (lol) at UT and had invisible war director Harvey smith give a lecture about all the mistakes they felt they made in the process of designing IW. One of those points was that the game was also a console title, something they had never worked with before, and they seriously underestimated the technical challenges because Microsoft essentially assured everyone that working on Xbox titles would have little difference from PC development. The technical challenges with regards to memory limitations were much barer than anticipated and the only way they could get the game to run well at all on the console was to build the UNREAL2 engine (which wasn't supported for third party titles so if you needed to gently caress with it you were all on your own) in such a way that it cleared the game entirely from system memory before loading just the section it needed. Carried over to thief deadly shadows because of the console bit again but due to time constraints was never fixed

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

tldr it's microsofts fault

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Ok Harvey said some interesting poo poo:

"This was a very difficult game for me... ...I feel like we hosed up the technology management of it, we had bad team chemistry, we wrote the wrong renderer, we wrote the wrong kind of AI, and then we shipped too early."

"You will have some hardcore friend who will tell you the most extreme version of what you're supposed to do, and that would be cool. And you will lose 90% of the audience if you do that... If you want to make an indie game, that's fine, sit in a closet and make an indie game and release it for four guys on the Internet... I highly recommend that if that is what drives you.."

If on the other hand you're taking $20 million of someone's money, and on the surface you are aiming for an XBox Live crowd, then going to some crazy extreme is probably not a good idea. Unless it's an extreme that will take your audience to some new interesting place. Then if you're going to do that, you're going to spend 80% of the project communicating with the user about this new thing that's interesting.."

"So what I think we did with Deus Ex, is that we listened to our super hardcore friends who said Here's how I would fix Deus Ex. .. we had some good friends who told us how Deus Ex was just a giant disaster and here's what they would change. I love those guys, and we really felt sensitive about that.. We're not meeting the demands! or We're not meeting the standards of our very intelligent designer friends. So ashamed! Let's fix all that in the sequel. And we weren't listening to the players of the original game who likedwhat we had done."

"In trying to fix some of those.. redundant things, like skills and augmentations that were overlapping.. we eliminated that complexity, and boiled it down to one system that was easier.. on the console interface, easier to learn, but it didn't allow for some combinations, that even if they weren't mechanically interesting, they built a fantasy in the player's head.

"For example, [as a game designer] I could let you take the swimming skill, or an augmentation like aqualung, or I could give you a biomod for the sequel called Swimmer, and it has both built into it. They're mechanically the same... but it wasn't the same to the user.. who wanted the fantasy of saying 'I am going to be the aquatic guy, so I'm going to take up these slots [in skills] and these slots [in augmentations] to be the aquatic guy in combination.' Even though mechanically it's the same, in the fantasy it's different."

I know this is a ton of words but read it anyway

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Interesting. I like how the feedback from the hardcore crowd is what made IW bad, which is something that is still true to this day when you see like 10 people making the same dumbass complaints forever about whatever game they care about

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

Interesting. I like how the feedback from the hardcore crowd is what made IW bad, which is something that is still true to this day when you see like 10 people making the same dumbass complaints forever about whatever game they care about

I think it's especially relevant in our country right now where were learning exactly how much disproportionate power a vocal minority can wield compared to its size

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

And don't forget the guy who like, made the engine, left after doing so.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
got a question here my release day copy of thief 2 had a mspaint spraycan thief with a bow as the securom splash screen. was this normal

e: yes it was lol how did this happen

Aix fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 27, 2016

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Lost City is a cool level.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
did anyone ever play Epic Mickey? i remember hearing about it but never tried it ..... the fact that it had a morality system is so weird to me lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

did anyone ever play Epic Mickey? i remember hearing about it but never tried it ..... the fact that it had a morality system is so weird to me lol

I played like 30 minutes of it and hated it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

It was really bad

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I heard Epic Mickey was so so but the concept art is cool

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Spoopy twisted rust skeleton Goofy... drat, right in the childhood.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Epic Mickey.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there were meant to be two levels in between that were cut for time, they were going to be added in Thief 2 Gold but Looking Glass died before it could be released. rip

those sound alright but still completely at odds with garrett's whole not-giving-a-poo poo-about-the-world crap
if he needs to pass the time can't he just go rob a bunch of poo poo instead of fight crime like batman

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Just completed Thief (1998) :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Squeezy Farm posted:

Just completed Thief (1998) :cheers:

I'm so proud. My little Squeezy Farm is getting so sneaky.

• Locked thread