Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Miami? More like You'reami. :smuggo:

Miami? More like "Ay, Mami!" :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I wanna move to Miami

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Jesus Christ Miami is a horrible place and a horrible city to drive in. Get rid of that idea immediately.

You want to go to Miami Beach. That's where everything good that you think is in Miami actually is. All the art deco hotels and poo poo are on Miami Beach. All of the nightlife is on Miami Beach. The loving beach is on Miami Beach. None of those things are in Miami.

The loving Dolphins aren't even in Miami.

Miami Beach is not Miami. Different city, different demographic, different corruption, different drugs, different everything. What you want to do is book your hotel in Miami Beach, fly into Miami International, get into a cab and go directly to your hotel. Enjoy the rest of your vacation and don't get into a car again until you have to go back to the airport.

yeah man, I meant miami beach. That bit of land with the roads onto the mainland that you drive down in vice city etc. It looks sick. I found a hotel with the most ridiculous views. Dunno why americans are hating on that place.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

OP, while in Miami, head to Fort Lauderdale (20 minute drive) and get your neg hole pozzed.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

thomawesome posted:

Come to Tampa/St. Pete. Orlando and Miami suck. Ybor City, Seminole Heights, and even downtown have a ton to do now. Also don't walk or ride a bike in Tampa either because you will get killed by a car or a crack head.

Or a car driven by a crackhead but who's counting

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I've lived in FL most of my life and have never seen any of the weird poo poo that gets a lot of attention. Of course I don't live in hosed up places like Fort Peirce (where most of the strangest stories come from). Miami is poo poo, drive straight through it and visit the Keys. You'd probably enjoy the wast coast more, like Siesta Key in Sarasota and you'd probably have more fun in Ybor City in Tampa than Miami.

I've run amok in Miami and had a bit of fun but not as much as The Keys or other places.

Want to try out that English accent? Go to Gainesville or Tallahassee and wow the college girls, you'll get laid your first night.

I missed this - I was only joking about using my accent. Honestly, a Florida HB2 would do me. Remember where I'm from. Tampa looks cool but Miami has more significance, it's one of the places I really want to see.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Marlins Stadium is literally the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen lmao.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

opus111 posted:

I missed this - I was only joking about using my accent. Honestly, a Florida HB2 would do me. Remember where I'm from. Tampa looks cool but Miami has more significance, it's one of the places I really want to see.

Miami is poo poo, Tampa is cool

Also all you people posting about living in Florida ITT should come post in the Florida LAN thread or help us get the new Florida goon meet thread off the ground

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

wyntyr posted:

Tampa is cool

lol dude come on

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Miami: Sunny place, shady people

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Idaho. :smug:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I've lived in FL most of my life and have never seen any of the weird poo poo that gets a lot of attention. Of course I don't live in hosed up places like Fort Peirce (where most of the strangest stories come from). Miami is poo poo, drive straight through it and visit the Keys. You'd probably enjoy the wast coast more, like Siesta Key in Sarasota and you'd probably have more fun in Ybor City in Tampa than Miami.

I've run amok in Miami and had a bit of fun but not as much as The Keys or other places.

Seconded, go to Key West and hang out on Duvall Street if you want to be touristy/drunk 24/7

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

dont wanna get drunk, I get enough of that poo poo here, but i do wanna blaze by the sea.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
Key West is perfect for that too, chill if you want it to be and weird as hell in places (try the Garden of Eden rooftop bar)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Frank Serpico posted:

Would that be Rick Ross or Freeway Rick Ross?

First one, then the other murders you for your cellphone

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
The clowns in this thread recommending the west coast of Florida are assuming you are 70 years old. Miami is much better.

Miami doesn't have much in the way of tourist destinations. If you want to do the nightlife and the beach, you can pretty much stay in Miami Beach without a car and take a cab to the airport. If you're staying outside Miami Beach and want to go to MIami Beach, you need a car.

If you want to gamble, see the Everglades, or go fishing/snorkeling/diving, all of which I would recommend, you will need a car for any of those things.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Chinatown posted:

lol dude come on

I'll take Ybor specifically and Tampa generally over Miami any day of the week. Superior Cuban food, superior cigars, superior beer. I can't think of one thing Miami does better than Tampa.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ybor City is like 95% gay clubs and 5% lovely bars.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

The clowns in this thread recommending the west coast of Florida are assuming you are 70 years old. Miami is much better.

Miami doesn't have much in the way of tourist destinations. If you want to do the nightlife and the beach, you can pretty much stay in Miami Beach without a car and take a cab to the airport. If you're staying outside Miami Beach and want to go to MIami Beach, you need a car.

If you want to gamble, see the Everglades, or go fishing/snorkeling/diving, all of which I would recommend, you will need a car for any of those things.

Only thing worse than west Florida is north Florida

a ray
Aug 24, 2016

by Cowcaster
p

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

opus111 posted:

Im thinking about a little solo holiday in miami. I will want to test my sexy british accent out at a few clubs on some HB6-7s while im there. Is it like nyc, all walkable, or will i need to drive about?

miami has lots of insanely poo poo drivers because they're all from latin american countries where you just bribe the person who tests hyou

that wasn't expected in the preview post thing

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
If you find yourself in the North Beach part of Miaimi, check out the Freehand hostel. Nice outdoor pool area, and they have a fancy-pants liquor-nerd bar called the Broken Shaker.

http://thefreehand.com/miami/venues/the-broken-shaker/

After Miami, rent a mustang convertible and head down to Key West. Largest reef in the world besides great barrier reef. Bring a mask and snorkel, there's a couple great parks to stop and swim on the way down to Key West.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ElectricSheep posted:

Key West is perfect for that too, chill if you want it to be and weird as hell in places (try the Garden of Eden rooftop bar)

it's p good to watch the sunset but sometimes there's some viewing angle issues, gotta be there early

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 25, 2016

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
nooooo don't warn him

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ElectricSheep posted:

nooooo don't warn him

It's a nice place. The third floor is the best to look out at Duvall IMO

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

nobody actually enjoys miami, thats what the cocaine is for

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

your low expectations for pussy will suit this endeavor well

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Miami: It's Better Than Venezuela!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ElectricSheep posted:

nooooo don't warn him

well I mean I guess u can get there late

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Can confirm that this is good advice:

physeter posted:

Everyone ubers everywhere. 95% of everything happens on either South Beach (touristy, $$$), Brickell (local, corporate, $$) or Wynwood (artsy, local, $$, Zika). Each is a 5 minute car ride from the other, and once in one of them you can walk around to most everything.

and this:

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Jesus Christ Miami is a horrible place and a horrible city to drive in. Get rid of that idea immediately.

You want to go to Miami Beach. That's where everything good that you think is in Miami actually is. All the art deco hotels and poo poo are on Miami Beach. All of the nightlife is on Miami Beach. The loving beach is on Miami Beach. None of those things are in Miami.

Miami Beach is not Miami. Different city, different demographic, different corruption, different drugs, different everything. What you want to do is book your hotel in Miami Beach, fly into Miami International, get into a cab and go directly to your hotel. Enjoy the rest of your vacation and don't get into a car again until you have to go back to the airport.

But don't go now. It's too frigging hot. Wait until summer is over which in Florida is around mid-November.

and for god's sake don't listen to the morons telling you to go to Tampa. It is a perfect encapsulation of everything Europeans hate about America and Americans.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

:golfclap:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

nigga crab pollock posted:

hot miami tip:

dont go to miami

hell, don't go to florida. anything below the 35th parallel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35th_parallel_north#/media/File:35th_parallel_US.svg

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

NotWearingPants posted:

Can confirm that this is good advice:

and this:

But don't go now. It's too frigging hot. Wait until summer is over which in Florida is around mid-November.

and for god's sake don't listen to the morons telling you to go to Tampa. It is a perfect encapsulation of everything Europeans hate about America and Americans.

I was thinking of april cos my parents are in the states then so id be able to fly over and meet tbem after my week. Would it be too hot then?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

opus111 posted:

I was thinking of april cos my parents are in the states then so id be able to fly over and meet tbem after my week. Would it be too hot then?

April should be good. It will probably be hot, but good hot. You'll be at the beach after all.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

If you come to Miami make sure to visit Haulover beach where I will be naked and you can get naked too!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Brit friends came to visit me a few months ago and they all loved South Beach and Wynwood areas, but that was before the Zika. I live like 20 minutes from Miami but I only go there for events, rather than just to go there. The drivers in South Florida suck so hard and it's amazing there aren't 10x more collisions and death on the roads.

Also lived in Key West, the beaches aren't good but it's a lovely place. You cant go there directly anyway so go from London to Miami or FTL airport, so there for a few days then go down US1 through the keys during the day. It's super pretty. Key West is expensive to stay though, like 4-5x the prices of the mainland. No real bargains to be had sadly.

For all the poo poo Florida gets, I dig living down in SFL a lot. It's mainly the roads that suck, everything else is great. Hot as hell out, but I still walk in it even as a pasty British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

physeter posted:

Do not cycle

Everyone ubers everywhere. 95% of everything happens on either South Beach (touristy, $$$), Brickell (local, corporate, $$) or Wynwood (artsy, local, $$, Zika). Each is a 5 minute car ride from the other, and once in one of them you can walk around to most everything.

This is good advice. I liked Coconut Grove/Coral Gables for the UMiami bars but I'm also a bro at heart

Get a beachfront hotel on Sobe as far south as you can afford, that's the most 'Miami' experience possible

• Locked thread