Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
i really hope its dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Toadvine posted:

Like drat, did you really ask such a dumb snarky question?

Like, is Alien the one where they answer a distress beacon without bothering to see if the ship is infested with dangerous aliens??

Those duders were just space truckers though, if you can only send 6 people or whatever it was to save the planet it'd probably be a good idea to give them a psych evaluation is all I'm saying. It felt really forced and about as bad as the Armageddon space madness.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Woden posted:

Those duders were just space truckers though, if you can only send 6 people or whatever it was to save the planet it'd probably be a good idea to give them a psych evaluation is all I'm saying. It felt really forced and about as bad as the Armageddon space madness.

They probably sent the people most qualified to keep the ship operational and explode the bomb at the end, which doesn't necessarily translate to 'best astronaut for long term hauls.'

Also, out of 12 people (there was a first mission remember, Sunshine is about the 2nd one) only 1 went all Sol Invictus and sabotaged the original mission then sabotaged the 2nd mission as well when he got on that ship. Better than 90% (11/12) is a pretty drat good mark to hit; psych evals can't catch everything 100%.

I'll grant you the tone of the movie changed drastically and I wish it was less 'space horror monster' all of a sudden but it was good still imo.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Toadvine posted:

Every naysayer about extra terrestrial life is basing their pessimism on the very narrow span of human understanding and it's freaking pissing me off

Maybe there's methane based life on Titan ?

That would also be a good target (besides endless Mars missions). They dropped the Huygens probe on it but it only had, like 1 hour of battery ?! WTF why not make one of those plutonium batteries for it and make it float ???????? imagine that thing sailing on a methane sea and peering into the depths !

I don't know who programs the NASA and ESA mission, but they have 0 imagination. You have hordes of highly trained scientists at your disposal and this is what you come up with ?!

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Space exploration is a pipe dream. Cya.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Beef Turret posted:

What if I were to tell you we are exploring space right now?

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
ill bet that movie "dune" was pretty good, but ive never seen it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

just ray posted:

i really hope its dune

Arrakis you piece of poo poo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

I don't know who programs the NASA and ESA mission, but they have 0 imagination. You have hordes of highly trained scientists at your disposal and this is what you come up with ?!

things are much harder to execute than to imagine. Also, budget.

Beef Turret posted:

posting from 1930 I see

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

posting from 1930 I see

a lot of people seem to think that physically sending people to a planet/moon is the only way to explore space

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Decebal posted:

A bit of X-ray only makes organism heartier

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I looked at that "send a tiny spacecraft at 20% light speed with lasers" proposal. Pretty cool.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Germstore posted:

We know certain things about organic chemistry that should be generally applicable to extraterrestrial life.

Right, and hypothetical biochemistry accounts for abundant cosmic elements that are scientifically viable to support life, without having to view it first hand. I'd wager we (earth) are roughly middle of the pack when it comes to our development as living organisms.

To presume we're the first or only intelligent life in the universe is such a human opinion to hold , because it's simultaneously dumb and hubristic

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Decebal posted:

That would also be a good target (besides endless Mars missions). They dropped the Huygens probe on it but it only had, like 1 hour of battery ?! WTF why not make one of those plutonium batteries for it and make it float ???????? imagine that thing sailing on a methane sea and peering into the depths !

Huygens was just a little bonus probe tacked onto Cassini, not a dedicated mission, so it had even tighter cost and weight constraints than usual. There's a proposal (not sure how serious at this point) to do exactly what you're suggesting in the future though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

Right, and hypothetical biochemistry accounts for abundant cosmic elements that are scientifically viable to support life, without having to view it first hand. I'd wager we (earth) are roughly middle of the pack when it comes to our development as living organisms.

To presume we're the first or only intelligent life in the universe is such a human opinion to hold , because it's dumb and hubristic

*looks around at the infinity of creation*

"IT'S ALL ABOUT MEEEEEE"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Toadvine posted:

To presume we're the first or only intelligent life in the universe is such a human opinion to hold , because it's simultaneously dumb and hubristic

It's entirely possible though. We may not be the first but we're probably among the earliest. The Sun is about as old as a star with terrestrial planets can be.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Germstore posted:

It's entirely possible though. We may not be the first but we're probably among the earliest. The Sun is about as old as a star with terrestrial planets can be.

theres a lot of stars in the universe. like more than a hundred

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
If that's so then we need to expand into the galaxy pronto and become the preeminent species we've always known ourselves to be

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

And any older than ours won't have terrestrial planets. So you'll have populations around stars as old as the sun that may have advanced life, and then younger stars that may only have simple life because they haven't been around as long. Older stars aren't going to have terrestrial planets. So we are likely among the most advanced species rather than middling. Technological advancement can happen fast enough that it's pretty much certain that there will be species more advanced than us, but biologically they may not be more advanced at all.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
If the 2nd closest star to us potentially has a planet with life, it bodes well for the idea that life is common in the universe, especially since red dwarf stars are like 80% of the stars out there.

Parallax Scroll posted:

That's true, but those early old stars probably aren't metal :black101: enough to have planets.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It's possible that the first species are only now beginning to take to the stars. Spreading across the galaxy takes a long long time assuming no amount of technological advancement can make FTL travel happen.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Any civilization that can make a teeny tiny black hole can harvest unlimited energy with whatever the gently caress matter they feel like feeding the black hole with. Maybe advanced species never move past their solar system because they don't have to.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

Maybe advanced species never move past their solar system because they don't have to.

Yeah but that doesn't really account for curiosity or exploration or stuff like that. If you have unlimited energy why wouldn't you want to go see what's going on elsewhere?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Decebal posted:

Maybe there's methane based life on Titan ?

Also if they are worried about sterilization you could have an orbiter sent to Europa that keeps spheres in a sterilized environment until it drops them down to the surface.

They then use internal heat to melt through the ice.

At least we got a jet that nobody will ever need though.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
The behavior of other civilizations is a fun thought exercise but I always come back to the realization that our amassed understanding of the universe (let alone ourselves) is inconceivably limited.

We could very well be inundated with alien anime broadcasts but we're still on basic cable, so to speak

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Germstore posted:

Any civilization that can make a teeny tiny black hole can harvest unlimited energy with whatever the gently caress matter they feel like feeding the black hole with. Maybe advanced species never move past their solar system because they don't have to.

But stars tend to become dangerous as they grow old, unless you're around a stable red dwarf or something, so they would have to leave at one point.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
all this poo poo is just made up fantasy in some guys head

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Decebal posted:

But stars tend to become dangerous as they grow old, unless you're around a stable red dwarf or something, so they would have to leave at one point.

In a billion years if we're still hanging out in the solar system we'd probably be mostly on space stations, so just head for the outer solar system or even the oort cloud when the sun gets feisty. The thing we'd need most is matter and the solar system is the best place to get it.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
If in a billion years we're still tethered to our corporeal form I'll be real disappointed

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The theory is you create a black hole with the mass of a large freighter, which takes far more energy than we can currently produce. The smaller a black hole is the more hawking radiation it gives off. So this black hole is giving off around three orders of magnitude more energy than the earth uses. If you leave it alone there's no net energy gain and the black hole evaporates in a few years. If you feed it with with a few hundred grams of matter, any matter whatsoever, per second you get energy from it as long as you keep it fed. This is direct conversion of mass to energy, no need for anti-matter or fusion. It's certainly speculative, but the theory is sound.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Germstore posted:

The theory is you create a black hole with the mass of a large freighter, which takes far more energy than we can currently produce. The smaller a black hole is the more hawking radiation it gives off. So this black hole is giving off around three orders of magnitude more energy than the earth uses. If you leave it alone there's no net energy gain and the black hole evaporates in a few years. If you feed it with with a few hundred grams of matter, any matter whatsoever, per second you get energy from it as long as you keep it fed. This is direct conversion of mass to energy, no need for anti-matter or fusion. It's certainly speculative, but the theory is sound.

Let's focus on more real & feasible projects, like fusion (which, by the way, is only a decade away), before we start messing with things like black holes; which are "magic" as far as scientists are concerned. Fucker, how are you gonna tell me that physics break down ?! What does that even mean ? Is it like Lord of the Rings and elfen magic ?

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
watever u say big guy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

Fucker, how are you gonna tell me that physics break down ?! What does that even mean ? Is it like Lord of the Rings and elfen magic ?

it means math stops working like we think it does

like this is super simplified but imagine that at light speed suddenly 2 + 2 does not equal 4

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 25, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Decebal posted:

Let's focus on more real & feasible projects, like fusion (which, by the way, is only a decade away), before we start messing with things like black holes; which are "magic" as far as scientists are concerned. Fucker, how are you gonna tell me that physics break down ?! What does that even mean ? Is it like Lord of the Rings and elfen magic ?

I'm more talking about what alien races may have and what we may have hopefully before the sun dies. The starting energy needed is massive so you're not going to be able to skip over massive scale space based solar; it just wouldn't need to be dyson swarm scale.

The advantage is once you have it going it is far far more efficient than fusion and you could keep a civilization going even after its star has died.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
How long till we can complete the ascent to transcendence?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

We've been doing this for some time, check out the religions of the world and find your answer. Hell most texts have prophets and whoever boarding flying clouds and flying up into the firmament and poo poo. We've been hitchhiking space since forever

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Boomstick Quaid posted:

We've been doing this for some time, check out the religions of the world and find your answer. Hell most texts have prophets and whoever boarding flying clouds and flying up into the firmament and poo poo. We've been hitchhiking space since forever

"magic dude goes the one direction people can't" probably could be thought of without seeing it literally happen

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

"magic dude goes the one direction people can't" probably could be thought of without seeing it literally happen

No all religions are ufo religions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

just ray posted:

ill bet that movie "dune" was pretty good, but ive never seen it.

You know what's good was that movie Dorf Goes Fishing.

• Locked thread