Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Gaians/Planet Cult were great because you didn't even have to bother building yourself a big expensive endgame army, you could just flood the earth with a literal plague of locusts

subjecting your enemies to brain-death by psychic torture at the hands of a swarm of weaponized insects in the name of harmony with Planet

that horseshit is why you play with the expansion but lock it to SMAC factions only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you need a biosphere that won't shred amino acids and shred simple lifeforms with horrible radiation, cook them with heat, or destroy them with weird chemical reactions, and I dunno tidally locked planets don't seem to fit that bill.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i think if we found a mirror planet in the solar system habitable zone it would be a small chance, i think finding it at all in our system is unlikely as hell. i put no stock in anyone who has hope for life under europa or anywhere else.

but i don't know and i won't be upset or anything at being proven wrong it would be cool.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

i agree that it's unlikely, but europa's nearby enough that we may as well look

If we can look with remote instruments, i agree. I don't think we should send a probe under the ice, if we can drill thru it anyway. If there's life, who knows what delicate state it would be in. Early life on Earth was just blankets of bacteria. shitloads of bacteria. so much bacteria some of it has fossilized and it just looks like funny looking rocks. if a probe crashes into something like that who knows what kind of die-off would be triggered. I hate the idea of disturbing an ecosystem too.

but it's hard to reconcile that with the fact we're likely to find nothing, so why be that cautious? I dunno.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Declare your ideological affiliations here. Base game factions only. Expansion factions will be ignored.

+1 Human Hive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Alien crossfire is good but the factions are not.

• Locked thread