Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sunshine is dope af

Germstore posted:

"orbiting something that outputs energy" is a pretty low bar to set for habitability.

The habitable zone in this context means 'distance from the star where it is not too hot or too cold to sustain life.'

It's not a super high bar to begin with... and that's why the habitable zone on this star is like 1/20th of an AU.

As far as the tidal locked thing goes there's not much reason life couldn't be just fine in the twilight band or whatever it's called.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Woden posted:

It's also apparently 30c on the hot side and -30c on the night side, no idea how they're know that though probably just making poo poo up again.

that's probably not hard to figure out if you know the star's mass and generally where it is along its lifespan and the distance of the planet in question from the star and none of those are that hard to figure out either

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sunshine is dope af and every movie for the 5 years following its release used its OST for their trailer music

duck monster posted:

When we meet the gray aliens they will know us onfly for our media.

And we've beamed millions of hours of hosed up anime hentais to space.

We're so loving doomed

it's okay contrary to popular belief that poo poo doesn't just exist forever. the signal degrades and becomes indistinguishable from noise and background radiation pretty quickly actually. Prolly wouldn't even get much past the closer stars (iirc the distance).

Also prolly why we haven't heard peep from anything anywhere despite the size of the galaxy and universe.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 25, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Woden posted:

You have to guess at the atmosphere though which can play a massive part, the difference between Earth and Venus are mostly due to how Venus is a better greenhouse.

Yeah you wouldn't know the surface temp reliably but you could spitball approx. hot how it would be given no atmosphere or a normal atmosphere fairly accurately.

Decebal posted:

I hope SETI is pointing some antennas over there now.

Also with the new James Web telescope we'll be able to actually get an image of the planet. How cool is that ! And to think that the Government almost didn't approve of it's construction. I'm glad we're still throwing money at the F-35 though. :argh: Those Lockheed engineers who worked on it deserve to be harvested for organs.

It's really a crime how much we spend on useless poo poo like F35 while NASA's budget gets dicked with nonstop.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Sunshine is retarded because that dude freezes like a Popsicle immediately upon taking off his helmet.

Yeah so what that's like 99% of SciFi movies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if its dune you'll have to fight me on the sands for control of the spice flows

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

i think it randomly blasts a lot of poo poo out, like it's a pretty gnarly star. idk though i haven't really read up on it

meh

quote:

However, Proxima Centauri's overall activity level is considered low compared to other red dwarfs,[20]

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Woden posted:

Those duders were just space truckers though, if you can only send 6 people or whatever it was to save the planet it'd probably be a good idea to give them a psych evaluation is all I'm saying. It felt really forced and about as bad as the Armageddon space madness.

They probably sent the people most qualified to keep the ship operational and explode the bomb at the end, which doesn't necessarily translate to 'best astronaut for long term hauls.'

Also, out of 12 people (there was a first mission remember, Sunshine is about the 2nd one) only 1 went all Sol Invictus and sabotaged the original mission then sabotaged the 2nd mission as well when he got on that ship. Better than 90% (11/12) is a pretty drat good mark to hit; psych evals can't catch everything 100%.

I'll grant you the tone of the movie changed drastically and I wish it was less 'space horror monster' all of a sudden but it was good still imo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

I don't know who programs the NASA and ESA mission, but they have 0 imagination. You have hordes of highly trained scientists at your disposal and this is what you come up with ?!

things are much harder to execute than to imagine. Also, budget.

Beef Turret posted:

Space exploration is a pipe dream. Cya.

posting from 1930 I see

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

Right, and hypothetical biochemistry accounts for abundant cosmic elements that are scientifically viable to support life, without having to view it first hand. I'd wager we (earth) are roughly middle of the pack when it comes to our development as living organisms.

To presume we're the first or only intelligent life in the universe is such a human opinion to hold , because it's dumb and hubristic

*looks around at the infinity of creation*

"IT'S ALL ABOUT MEEEEEE"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

Maybe advanced species never move past their solar system because they don't have to.

Yeah but that doesn't really account for curiosity or exploration or stuff like that. If you have unlimited energy why wouldn't you want to go see what's going on elsewhere?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

Fucker, how are you gonna tell me that physics break down ?! What does that even mean ? Is it like Lord of the Rings and elfen magic ?

it means math stops working like we think it does

like this is super simplified but imagine that at light speed suddenly 2 + 2 does not equal 4

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 25, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if we were the first ones to get to spreading around the galaxy or whatever it'd be cool for us but you know we'd enslave and exploit the poo poo out of some literal 3rd worlds

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
either we somehow get FTL/bendy time/alcubierre drives/whatever or we don't

if the former then it really doesn't matter and if the latter well again doesn't really matter as we won't get anywhere whether it is 1000 light years or a billion light years away anyway

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that doesn't get us FTL though

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
every day im like goons can't possibly hold a dumber opinion than this and lo and behold

"alien crossfire sucked"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

Alien crossfire is good but the factions are not.

that's fair enough

• Locked thread