Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Is this what NASA revealed at their press conference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Bacteria can and has survived in zero atmosphere space conditions.

In 2010 they scooped up some bacteria from an English cliffside and lashed it to the exterior of the iss for over a year. It survived just hunky dory.

Bacteria is currently thriving deep within oceanic vents, deeper than we can reliably observe. Also high up in the atmosphere (6-25 miles up) there's bacteria just floating about in below freezing, high-uv, low oxygen environments.

My point is that living organisms are assuredly propagating elsewhere in the universe, but like the majority of life on earth it's tiny little specks that are hard to personify

Edit: that doesn't mean we can't insult them over the radio.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
If you're thinking about watching the movie Europa, don't. I have only a layman's fascination with space and even I recognized how goddamn stupid those astronauts were.

Watch Sunshine instead

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Woden posted:

Is Sunshine the one where they get 6 people to save the Earth but don't bother screening to see if any are insane sun worshippers?

The sun drove him insane, pay attention

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Woden posted:

Is Sunshine the one where they get 6 people to save the Earth but don't bother screening to see if any are insane sun worshippers?

Like drat, did you really ask such a dumb snarky question?

Like, is Alien the one where they answer a distress beacon without bothering to see if the ship is infested with dangerous aliens??

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Every naysayer about extra terrestrial life is basing their pessimism on the very narrow span of human understanding and it's freaking pissing me off

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Germstore posted:

We know certain things about organic chemistry that should be generally applicable to extraterrestrial life.

Right, and hypothetical biochemistry accounts for abundant cosmic elements that are scientifically viable to support life, without having to view it first hand. I'd wager we (earth) are roughly middle of the pack when it comes to our development as living organisms.

To presume we're the first or only intelligent life in the universe is such a human opinion to hold , because it's simultaneously dumb and hubristic

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
If that's so then we need to expand into the galaxy pronto and become the preeminent species we've always known ourselves to be

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
The behavior of other civilizations is a fun thought exercise but I always come back to the realization that our amassed understanding of the universe (let alone ourselves) is inconceivably limited.

We could very well be inundated with alien anime broadcasts but we're still on basic cable, so to speak

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
If in a billion years we're still tethered to our corporeal form I'll be real disappointed

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

nigga crab pollock posted:

i mean sure there might be molten silicon/oxygen based life using metals or some insane alternative biochemistry somewhere but we probably wouldn't recognize it as alive even if we did find it.

And it would be tiny like the tardigrade :3:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Ivor Biggun posted:

, why are they not here yet?

Because we're loco ese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
It's indicative of depression that people assume we'll never find intelligent life/intelligent life doesn't exist elsewhere/we'll never leave our solar system

• Locked thread