Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

mods knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ork of Fiction posted:

What is the name of the planet, OP?

proxima b

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lets send a radio signal and call them faggots

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Whoa, I just watched some show on Netflix about a tidally locked planet orbiting a red dwarf.

what show

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

hemophilia posted:

i think if we found a mirror planet in the solar system habitable zone it would be a small chance, i think finding it at all in our system is unlikely as hell. i put no stock in anyone who has hope for life under europa or anywhere else.

but i don't know and i won't be upset or anything at being proven wrong it would be cool.

i agree that it's unlikely, but europa's nearby enough that we may as well look

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Woden posted:

This planet is 1.3x Earth mass so could have an atmo like Venus and Earth do, is zooming around a low powered poo poo star so rads may not be a problem if it's stable and doesn't randomly blast poo poo out. It's also apparently 30c on the hot side and -30c on the night side, no idea how they're know that though probably just making poo poo up again.

i think it randomly blasts a lot of poo poo out, like it's a pretty gnarly star. idk though i haven't really read up on it

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

posting from 1930 I see

a lot of people seem to think that physically sending people to a planet/moon is the only way to explore space

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Germstore posted:

It's entirely possible though. We may not be the first but we're probably among the earliest. The Sun is about as old as a star with terrestrial planets can be.

theres a lot of stars in the universe. like more than a hundred

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the aliens don't give a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

reminding dumbass op that it's proxima centauri you stupid bitch for the new page

• Locked thread