Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006
Doubt it's tidally locked, idiots scientists thought that about Mercury too but it has 1.5 days in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

hemophilia posted:

you need a biosphere that won't shred amino acids and shred simple lifeforms with horrible radiation, cook them with heat, or destroy them with weird chemical reactions, and I dunno tidally locked planets don't seem to fit that bill.

They don't know if it's tidally locked and are just assuming it is. With certain systems 3:2 resonance(Mercury) or maybe something like 5:2 resonance is more energetically favourable, if that's the case here this planet would have a ~100-180 hour day.

This planet is 1.3x Earth mass so could have an atmo like Venus and Earth do, is zooming around a low powered poo poo star so rads may not be a problem if it's stable and doesn't randomly blast poo poo out. It's also apparently 30c on the hot side and -30c on the night side, no idea how they're know that though probably just making poo poo up again.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Toadvine posted:

If you're thinking about watching the movie Europa, don't. I have only a layman's fascination with space and even I recognized how goddamn stupid those astronauts were.

Watch Sunshine instead

Is Sunshine the one where they get 6 people to save the Earth but don't bother screening to see if any are insane sun worshippers?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

that's probably not hard to figure out if you know the star's mass and generally where it is along its lifespan and the distance of the planet in question from the star and none of those are that hard to figure out either

You have to guess at the atmosphere though which can play a massive part, the difference between Earth and Venus are mostly due to how Venus is a better greenhouse.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Toadvine posted:

Like drat, did you really ask such a dumb snarky question?

Like, is Alien the one where they answer a distress beacon without bothering to see if the ship is infested with dangerous aliens??

Those duders were just space truckers though, if you can only send 6 people or whatever it was to save the planet it'd probably be a good idea to give them a psych evaluation is all I'm saying. It felt really forced and about as bad as the Armageddon space madness.

• Locked thread