Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yep. In fact, he also addressed that by noting that rich people take the "safer" drugs, like cocaine and heroin, which is why we don't hear about killings in upscale parts of town. And I only saw this now while pulling up that link, but I honestly can't believe that he literally said "my order is to destroy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Heroin is a "safer drug"? What kind of deadly-rear end poo poo is going around over there? Heroin and other opiates are killing more people here than any other drug by far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Heroin is a "safer drug"? What kind of deadly-rear end poo poo is going around over there? Heroin and other opiates are killing more people here than any other drug by far.

It's not. It's really not.

It's just that shabu/crystal meth is the primary drug of the lower classes, while the suburbanites use cocaine and heroin.

So really all he's saying is "I don't want to have the police conduct warrantless house-to-house searches of rich-rear end people like we're currently doing in the slums, so I'm going to make the completely unsubstantiated claim that heroin and cocaine are safer so that I have an excuse to not need to do that"

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So really all he's saying is "I don't want to have the police conduct warrantless house-to-house searches of rich-rear end people like we're currently doing in the slums, so I'm going to make the completely unsubstantiated claim that heroin and cocaine are safer so that I have an excuse to not need to do that."

So it's basically the crack/cocaine dichotomy we have in the US. :eng99:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

PT6A posted:

Heroin and cocaine are disproportionately more dangerous to people who cannot keep up a safe and consistent supply while also eating well and still taking personal medical care. Remove malnutrition-related illnesses and super-TB from the equation and heroin comes out a safer drug than cigarettes and alcohol.

In areas where the poor do not use heroin and cocaine and make it look dirty when they die of horrific treatment resistant plague diseases it doesn't carry a social stigma. This view also extends into a historical perspective, eg. the British popularisation of Opium right up until banning it because a few chinese people and blues musicians arrived with addictions.

When you remove a proper diet, access to good medical care, and a consistent supply, and the drug is crystal meth, it becomes easy to draw a popular distinction between bankers saving your finances and having a bit of charlie and crazed-looking poor people raiding houses.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How long until the death squads go from targeting poor users/dealers, to targeting foreign sex tourists? Asking for a friend.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spangly A posted:

Heroin and cocaine are disproportionately more dangerous to people who cannot keep up a safe and consistent supply while also eating well and still taking personal medical care. Remove malnutrition-related illnesses and super-TB from the equation and heroin comes out a safer drug than cigarettes and alcohol.

In areas where the poor do not use heroin and cocaine and make it look dirty when they die of horrific treatment resistant plague diseases it doesn't carry a social stigma. This view also extends into a historical perspective, eg. the British popularisation of Opium right up until banning it because a few chinese people and blues musicians arrived with addictions.

Opium is a little bit different from heroin.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ocrumsprug posted:

How long until the death squads go from targeting poor users/dealers, to targeting foreign sex tourists? Asking for a friend.

You know, if death squads went around hunting rich pedophiles from the first world, instead of poor drug addicts, I'm guessing there'd be significantly less outrage over the EJKs. Duerte should look into it.

EDIT: And regarding heroin safety: it's "becoming" a crisis in North America because heroin use is expanding into well-off populations, and it's killing plenty of people, suburbanites and poor people alike.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Argue posted:

Yep. In fact, he also addressed that by noting that rich people take the "safer" drugs, like cocaine and heroin, which is why we don't hear about killings in upscale parts of town. And I only saw this now while pulling up that link, but I honestly can't believe that he literally said "my order is to destroy."

To add to this, my wife's classmate from high school and her classmate's boyfriend were caught in the past couple of weeks with a lot of E and they found lots of paraphernalia and a money counter machine in their apartment, suggesting that they were dealing. They haven't been executed (yet) and it looks like they'll go through the regular justice system instead because they're from well off families.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ihatepants posted:

To add to this, my wife's classmate from high school and her classmate's boyfriend were caught in the past couple of weeks with a lot of E and they found lots of paraphernalia and a money counter machine in their apartment, suggesting that they were dealing. They haven't been executed (yet) and it looks like they'll go through the regular justice system instead because they're from well off families.

drat, she was that DJ, wasn't she?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Background:

Last August 7, the President read and released a list of more than 150 officials that he claims is or was involved in the drug trade. The list is simply names, with no corroborating evidence, and no official charges have been filed against any of the people named.

Some of the officials named on the list were members of the judiciary. The Chief Justice of the country's Supreme Court wrote a letter to the President, clarifying that a number of the Judges named in the list could not possibly have had links to the drug trade anymore, because they're either dead, or resigned, or are handling cases and trials that do not involve drugs.

The Chief Justice also instructed her Judges to please not voluntarily surrender themselves (as others have done) until and unless charges have been filed against them. She also asked that they be issued licenses to carry firearms for personal defense (as the expectation is that being named as a drug-involved figure will leave one open to being attacked by vigilante groups).

The President then shot back with a threat of declaring Martial Law, if the Judiciary will not "cooperate".

This was followed up by a statement later in the week by the President's chief legal counsel claiming that he would be entirely within his rights to do so, given the purported gravity of the drug situation in the country.

Five days after the initial release of the list and as this affair played out, the President then apologized to the Chief Justice.

In the news today:

The President, in a speech, launched into a new tirade against the Judiciary when he said that the Chief Justice's emphasis on a need for warrants before making arrests would "promote anarchy"

quote:

“Madame Justice, you are again wrong when you said, ‘Do not allow yourself arrested without a warrant.’ [More people will die because of that],” he said.

The President said Sereno’s statements would promote anarchy.

“It is a very dangerous statement. You will promote anarchy. There is no anarchy under my watch,” he said.

The 71-year old Chief Executive explained that a warantless arrest was possible if a crime was “committed in your presence.”

Sereno earlier cautioned the judges identified by Duterte as those with links to the illegal drug trade not to surrender to any police officers in the absence of a warrant of arrest.

Duterte told Sereno not to issue such statements.

“Ma’am, I am sorry. But please do not give such statements,” he said.

He challenged the Chief Justice to walk on the streets and find out how his war on drugs and criminality had improved the situation.

“At no other time [is the] streets of Manila almost freed of criminals. [Walk the streets] ma’am and find out,” he said.

What doesn't make sense is that the Chief Justice was referring to a scenario wherein judges might feel compelled to turn themselves in just because they were named-and-shamed through the President's drug blacklist, or that judges might get "visited" by the police and "invited" to turn themselves in, sans a warrant. She advised the judges to not do that.

Whereas the scenario that the President is describing, of making a warrantless arrest if one sees a crime-in-progress, is entirely different and does not apply.

To say nothing of the direct accusation that waiting for warrants before making arrests will lead to anachy.

Within the same speech, he also related a story about how he once threatened to shoot a judge who didn't want to sign an arrest warrant during his days as a prosecutor.

[The quote is entirely in Filipino, so this is my translation]

quote:

These judges, they're sarcastic idiots ... even me, when I was a public prosecutor, I don't have to name them but, there was this one judge, I really kicked him. Kicked him right there in his office.

He didn't want to sign. So I was having my doubts about him, and the police were getting antsy. This motherfucker might have been working for the other side. I say to him "Judge, you motherfucker, I'll kick you out." He said, "Yeah? Go ahead."

So I went down to his office, and I kicked him. I told him "You want me to shoot you?" He said "No, don't"

And then the audience laughed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

And then the audience laughed.

Never go to the Philippines, I guess is the moral of that story.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Didn't know they made a Filipino version of the shield

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So if the government is gearing up to purge part of the judiciary along with all these officials then is this essentially a coup?

Kurtofan posted:

Didn't know they made a Filipino version of the shield

This is more like Judge Dredd honestly.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

It's not a coup, since there was a legitimate transfer of power. A revolution, maybe.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

People said dr m (Malaysia) sacking the Chief Justice was the worst ever transgression against the judiciary but the Philippines just must take the crown

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I wish I'd taken pics, but I just came back from a local comic con and one booth was selling Duterte sculptures of him in various action movie poses, with the most prominent one in front being Duterte wearing the Punisher's costume and dual wielding pistols.

It's great and all that he established a 911 hotline that works, and that he supposedly put a stop to the bullet scam at the airport, and his supporters can keep pointing to that and saying that it's why they voted for him, but I feel these sculptures betray the actual fantasies that they've constructed in their heads.

Edit: vvvvv who wants to explain Taglish to this guy

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 27, 2016

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
I was watching finipinio news on SBS and they talk in tagalog but they occasionally speak a complete sentance in perfect English WTF is up with that

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's not a coup, since there was a legitimate transfer of power. A revolution, maybe.

A transfer of power that starts out legitimately can still spin into being a coup. In fact I'd say that a revolution launched from within the state apparatus and aimed at a different part of the same state apparatus is a pretty clear indicator of a coup.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

So if the government is gearing up to purge part of the judiciary along with all these officials then is this essentially a coup?

The administration is, at least in their words and their posturing, absolutely looking to purge anyone who isn't going to toe the line on letting the President have his way on pretty much everything.

He's basically setting himself up to use his 90%+ approval rating and fearmongering drug trafficking as an existential threat as justifications to headbutt Congress and the Supreme Court all the way to a constitutional crisis unless they play ball.

I just don't know about the semantic tangle of whether or not that's considered a coup.

doodlebugs posted:

I was watching finipinio news on SBS and they talk in tagalog but they occasionally speak a complete sentance in perfect English WTF is up with that

The national and official language of the Philippines is Filipino, which is a combination of largely the Tagalog language spoken by about 90%+ of the population, plus loan words from provincial dialects, plus Spanish, plus English.

Except speaking Filipino fluently enough to use it 100% of the time is rare, and especially when there are modern words and phrases that have no good translation into Filipino. So most people fall back on reverting to English whenever they want to say something that Filipino either can't cover or they're not fluent enough to know how to cover.

Switching back and forth between the two is called "Taglish", or a portmanteau of Tagalog and English.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Given that the drug situation is not actually nearly as severe as Duterte portrays it, why exactly is Duterte so incredibly popular? I mean, Trump certainly has a significant support base in the US, but nothing near the almost ubiquitous support Duterte seems to have.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Homogeny, meet pride

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Given that the drug situation is not actually nearly as severe as Duterte portrays it, why exactly is Duterte so incredibly popular? I mean, Trump certainly has a significant support base in the US, but nothing near the almost ubiquitous support Duterte seems to have.

Drug use and drug dealing is super vilified in east Asia so setting a platform based on eliminating it is never not good. Tying societal ills like corruption (probably even more common than drugs) to it is just a "logical" extension of that. This is also compounded with a lack of drug education.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I don't know about the Philippines in general but there are plenty of historical examples of voters being very enthused about killing people who are seen as socially unfit or parasitic. There's a lot more blood-lust in a modern electorate than most poli sci wonks seemingly want to acknowledge. Time and again we see examples of how a non-trivial part of the population of many countries gets an immense satisfaction from seeing people it resents getting hurt or killed.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just don't know about the semantic tangle of whether or not that's considered a coup.

I don't really know how "precise" the term coup is anyway. I brought it up because what's happening here seems reminiscent of the "counter-coup" that a lot of people are accusing Erdogan of running in Turkey after the failed military takeover.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

The first thing to remember is that drug-users are, more-or-less, indefensible.

They're somewhat of a perfect scapegoat for Otherization because even in a scenario where a person admits that the police and vigilantes are killing drug-users and drug-pushers willy-nilly, it's still very much an acceptable thing because for one they were already literally breaking the law (as opposed to, say, what happens to African-Americans in the US) and for another you're supposedly sparing the rest of greater society from other crimes they would have done had they lived or were not persecuted.

Whenever people bring up that summary execution of drug-users is a violation of human rights, it's a very common retort here to say that the people who were/will be raped and/or murdered by crazed drug addicts did/would have their human rights also violated, and why aren't you caring about those?

The second thing to note is that Philippine politics prior to Duterte is (at least perceived to be) very establishment, and very centrist. Imagine an Overton Window spanning from maybe George HW Bush on the far-right end, and Bill Clinton on the liberal end, with lots of patronage politics and corruption to boot.

And then Duterte runs on a populist, anti-establishment platform:

1. The Aquino administration's economic gains were a waste because it wasn't felt by the common man
2. There is lots and lots of corruption in the system, which slows everything to a crawl, including physically slowing everything to a crawl because the previous administration failed to address the traffic problem in Manila
3. The drug problem is severe and dire and the people are tired of criminality
4. I, Rodrigo Duterte, can fix all these because during my time as Davao Mayor, I rid the city of crime so that people feel safe walking along the streets, I implemented a 911 system which shows that I can cut through all of the bureaucratic red tape, and I have instituted reforms which made Davao a model city, something that even the previous administration has acknowledged
5. The outgoing administration wants you to vote for their next Liberal Party candidate in the name of consistency and continuation with the previous administration. That would be wrong, because you're just going to get 6 more years of bad rule. Vote for me. I will upend the system, and my campaign slogan is "Change is Coming"

The third thing to note is that the Philippine presidential election does not have primaries and does not have run-offs. All of the candidates are running at the same time, and whoever gets the most votes, wins.

So Duterte wins with 39.01% of the vote. Mar Roxas, the candidate from Aquino's Liberal Party trying to run on an image of incumbency, comes in second place with 23.45% of the vote. Grace Poe, another moderate liberal that ran as an independent, got 21.39% of the vote. And then Jejomar Binay, the kleptocratic former Vice President, got 12.73% of the vote.

To put this in perspective, imagine a four-way race between Donald Trump 2016, John Kerry 2004, Joe Lieberman 2000, and Jeb Bush 2016 (and the outgoing President is Jimmy Carter). Nobody votes for the establishment conservative (Jeb) because he's already been outed as a piece of poo poo, the Democratic vote is split between Kerry and Lieberman, and Trump wins with a slim plurality.

All of these factors combine to produce a nominally wildly popular President, because of the perception that he slew (or will slay) a lumbering, corrupt system, and especially since steps he has taken using Executive fiat in his first 50 days further reinforces the belief that he is a man of action that will get things done, goddamn the red tape.

The criticisms leveled against him as a brutish thug tend to bounce off of him because A. we're supposed to have already known that he was going to be like that going in, since that was already his image as Mayor of Davao and that seemed to work for Davao, so we're supposed to excuse it, and B. because of "well, who're you going to support instead? Everyone else sucks"-style all-sides-are-equally-bad thinking.

There's a bunch of stuff I'm glossing over or heavily summarizing, such as the polarization of social media within a 6-month period and Candidate Duterte's disinformation campaign, the real failings of the Aquino administration that made it difficult to defend against them, the background of how the liberal moderate vote ended up being split between Roxas and Poe, and others that we may eventually get into over this thread, but this post is long enough.

Ask away if there's anything you'd want to be elaborated upon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The FPTP thing in the Philippines is pretty maddening too all things considered. The whole government structure was copied wholesale from the US at the time iirc with little consideration as to how and why those particular things were put into place. With an essentially cemented two party system, FPTP is no different than most other forms of voting, but with more than two very large political organizations at play, FPTP becomes a nightmarish thing particularly because it seems there's no galvanizing reason to merge parties beyond "gently caress that guy/party" and once that's done, the whole coalition/makeshift party breaks apart because of corruption and favoritism or the fear of it happening to them, putting all of the people from one of the pre-merged parties into positions of power and all of the others told to hit the bricks.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

The first thing to remember is that drug-users are, more-or-less, indefensible.

They're somewhat of a perfect scapegoat for Otherization because even in a scenario where a person admits that the police and vigilantes are killing drug-users and drug-pushers willy-nilly, it's still very much an acceptable thing because for one they were already literally breaking the law (as opposed to, say, what happens to African-Americans in the US) and for another you're supposedly sparing the rest of greater society from other crimes they would have done had they lived or were not persecuted.

Whenever people bring up that summary execution of drug-users is a violation of human rights, it's a very common retort here to say that the people who were/will be raped and/or murdered by crazed drug addicts did/would have their human rights also violated, and why aren't you caring about those?

I would ask what their response is when you point out that the families of the executed will be fractured and more likely to fall into poverty and substance abuse, but it already sounds like Duterte voters=Trump voters so there's probably no point in asking them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

The FPTP thing in the Philippines is pretty maddening too all things considered. The whole government structure was copied wholesale from the US at the time iirc with little consideration as to how and why those particular things were put into place. With an essentially cemented two party system, FPTP is no different than most other forms of voting, but with more than two very large political organizations at play, FPTP becomes a nightmarish thing particularly because it seems there's no galvanizing reason to merge parties beyond "gently caress that guy/party" and once that's done, the whole coalition/makeshift party breaks apart because of corruption and favoritism or the fear of it happening to them, putting all of the people from one of the pre-merged parties into positions of power and all of the others told to hit the bricks.

You've been able to put into words something I've been struggling to express for a long time with regards to the party system in the Philippines.

Because it's absolutely true what you said - there aren't really any parties in the Philippines because everyone just jumps ship to whoever won as soon as the elections were over.

Like, international news made a big deal over how President Aquino had a Supermajority in both houses of Congress after the 2013 midterms, but nobody ever made the connection that the only way he pulled that off was because of massed Congressional defections from other parties into the Liberal Party boat.

And that happened again this year: the PDP-Laban Party that Duterte ran under was a rump party with one governorship, one sitting Senator and maybe a handful of Representatives prior to the election, but then just days after the election when it became clear that Duterte was the Presumptive President, they had tons of defections and were able to declare a Supermajority in the House, and then it was the Liberal Party that was reduced to a rump.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

Duterte’s methods may be bloodier than those typically employed by American prohibitionists, but his logic is similar, casting peaceful transactions—the exchange of money for psychoactive substances—as acts of aggression that pose an existential threat to the nation. This is war, after all, so there is no room for legal niceties.

quote:

As far as William J. Bennett is concerned, that’s a shame. Back in 1989, when he was running the Office of National Drug Control Policy under Clinton’s predecessor, Bennett said “there’s no moral problem” with beheading drug dealers—the preferred method in Saudi Arabia. Although beheading might be legally problematic, he said on Larry King Live, it would be “morally proportional to the nature of the offense.” And Bennett ought to know, since he has a Ph.D. in philosophy. “I used to teach ethics,” he told Larry King. “Trust me.” The following year, Los Angeles Police Chief Daryl Gates took Bennett’s logic a step further, telling a Senate committee that casual drug users “ought to be taken out and shot” as traitors in the war on drugs.

Although Rodrigo Duterte is sometimes compared to Donald Trump, he could be taking his cues from Bennett, Gates, and other American drug warriors who heartily endorsed lethal responses to nonviolent actions. Duterte’s portrayal of meth addicts as subhuman and unworthy of life also has parallels in American propaganda. His main distinction is that he follows through on the murderous implications of his mindless anti-drug rhetoric—something voters apparently admire. The New York Times NYT -0.31% reports that “Mr. Duterte’s crackdown has been hugely popular.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2016/08/25/rodrigo-dutertes-murderous-war-on-drugs-follows-american-logic/#4ce13fb442b0

I simply cannot grasp the logic of prohibitionists. Sell drugs to someone who ends up abusing that drug and they want the 'dealer' to go to jail or face corporal punishment. Sell a hot rod to a kid who ends up abusing his horsepower and wraps himself around a tree and 'the drat rev head got what was coming to him!'

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 28, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/144331-data-drug-problem-philippines

quote:

EXPLAINER: How serious is the PH drug problem? Here's the data

1) The latest official estimate of drug users in the country is 1.3 million as of 2012.

Perhaps the first relevant statistic in any drug war is an estimate of the extent of drug use. After all, drug-related crimes ultimately stem from drug use.

In his first State of the Nation Address, President Rodrigo Duterte said that, based on data from the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), there were about “3 million drug addicts” in the country “two or 3 years ago,” and possibly 3.7 million now.

However, a closer look shows that relevant drug law agencies came up with much lower official statistics in recent years.

In 2008, a survey conducted by the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) estimated a much lower figure of 1.7 million drug users nationwide (1.9% of the 2008 population). In 2012, the DDB in cooperation with the Philippine Normal University came up with a separate study that put the figure to be even lower at 1.3 million (1.3% of the 2012 population).

Both figures actually represent a huge decline of drug users from the 6.7 million reported by the DDB way back in 2004. It appears, then, that the extent of drug use in the country seems to have actually gone down from 2004 to 2012 (6.7 million to 1.3 million) – or a total decline of 81% in 8 years.

The DDB attributed this steep decline to supply and demand reduction efforts, like "intensified operations" of drug law enforcement agencies and "drug demand reduction programs."

2) The number of drug-related raids and arrests in 2014 were the highest in a decade.

First, note there was a significant drop in drug arrests and raids around 2004, and the trend started to increase around 2013. In fact, the number of drug raids and arrests conducted by PDEA in 2014 was the highest since 2004 and 2006, respectively. The number of admissions into drug rehabilitation centers also increased to more than 10,000 in 2014.

3) Rehab patients tend to be male, poor, and addicted to shabu.

First, rehab patients are overwhelmingly male (around 10 males for every female), and the mean age is around 30 years. Nearly a third have reached some level of college while over a quarter have reached some level of high school.

The unemployed are more likely to be in rehab than the employed, while more out-of-school youths are in rehab than students. Three out of 4 rehab patients have a monthly family income of less than P11,000 (just above the poverty threshold), while the average monthly income of rehab patients is around P16,000.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
This thread is super interesting and really enjoying it. Keep it coming!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm also enjoying it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The front-page news in one of our national broadsheets yesterday was this:

quote:

‘Junkies are not humans’
DEFINE HUMAN BEING, DUTERTE TELLS RIGHTS GROUPS

DAVAO CITY, Philippines—Junkies are not humans.

That is how President Rodrigo Duterte sees drug users whose bodies are piling up as he presses his brutal war on drugs.

International human rights groups and the United Nations have raised concern about the killings, but Mr. Duterte, addressing soldiers at a military camp in his hometown Davao City on Friday night, said those groups should review their concept of human rights.

“These human rights (advocates) did not count those who were killed before I became President. The children who were raped and mutilated [by drug users],” he said.

“That’s why I said, ‘[W]hat crime against humanity?’ In the first place, I’d like to be frank with you, are they (drug users) humans? What is your definition of a human being? Tell me,” he said.

Mr. Duterte, 71, was angry at persistent criticism of his bloody crackdown on the illegal drug trade, which he launched right after taking office on June 30, with instructions to police to kill suspects who would resist arrest.

He promised bounties and protection from prosecution for officers who would kill drug lords, drawing criticism from UN special rapporteur on summary executions Agnes Callamard.

“Directives of this nature are irresponsible in the extreme and amount to incitement to violence and killing, a crime under international law,” Callamard said in a statement posted last week on the website of the UN high commissioner for human rights.

“Claims to fight illicit drug trade do not absolve the government from its international legal obligations and do not shield state actors or others from responsibility for illegal killings,” she said.

UN special rapporteur on the right to health Dainius Puras added that the fight against illegal drugs must “respect the human rights of each person.”

[...]

‘Use human rights properly’

In his speech to troops here on Friday night, he said those criticizing his war on drugs should use the concept of human rights “properly in the right context if you have the brains.”

“Now, if your gray matter between the ears is melting, I cannot help you if that’s your understanding,” he said.

The Philippine National Police chief, Director General Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, told a Senate inquiry last week that 1,946 drug suspects had been killed since the launch of the campaign.

Of those killings, 756 were by police and the rest by other killers and the cases were under investigation, he said.

Police say the other killers could be vigilantes or drug syndicates, whose members are killing each other.

Mr. Duterte argued that the deaths were necessary because a war could not be waged without killing.

Military camps for rehab

He, however, asked the military to make available its camps for the rehabilitation of more than 700,000 drug users who had turned themselves in for fear of ending up dead.

“Give a little space, in the mountain, not here (in the city). You cannot rehabilitate these guys there if they remain (here). You have to isolate them,” Mr. Duterte said.

“And for those that cannot be repaired … these are really the (legally insane). They become dysfunctional,” he said.

Interestingly, Mr. Duterte has never referred to drug users as “victims” who can still recover from addiction, as claimed by individuals and institutions involved in drug rehabilitation programs.

Mr. Duterte claimed that experts from the United States had told him that continued use of shabu (methamphetamine hydrochloride) for one year would “shrink the brain,” putting the users beyond redemption.

He said his critics should understand the extent of the drug problem in the Philippines, where there are 3.7 million people hooked on illegal drugs.

“This is no easy problem,” he said. “This will pull down this country.”

Again, Mr. Duterte lambasted the United Nations and other critics of his war on drugs.

He said the United Nations broke protocols when it issued a statement expressing concern about the killings.

“When I was mayor, you can really criticize me … call me names. But these dimwits forgot that I’m now a President and I represent a country,” Mr. Duterte said.

“Do not go outside to the media and start blabbering your mouth because I represent a sovereign state,” he said.

Mr. Duterte said he did not care about what human rights advocates and experts from the United Nations were saying about his campaign against drugs.

“My business is to protect the people of the Philippines and keep intact the integrity of the republic. That is my solemn and sacred duty,” he said.

Please no one give this man a smartphone and access to Twitter.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Super interesting. I work with almost all Filipinos (most of them seem to gravitate to night shift at hospitals) and some like that the voting system doesn't seem corrupt anymore yet dislike the current president.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The front-page news in one of our national broadsheets yesterday was this:

Please no one give this man a smartphone and access to Twitter.

agreed, why do you care so much about unpersons :hurr:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

Super interesting. I work with almost all Filipinos (most of them seem to gravitate to night shift at hospitals) and some like that the voting system doesn't seem corrupt anymore yet dislike the current president.

2016 was the fourth election cycle that was done under computerized/automated voting.

The last manual election, done in 2004 and lead to the election of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (her first full term, but her second term in general) was racked with allegations of massive vote fraud.

So yeah, the actual winner of the elections notwithstanding, it's been pretty nice that the electoral process itself has been a lot more trustworthy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
President Duterte tells Senator De Lima to 'hang herself'

quote:

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte wants his fiercest critic in Congress, Senator Leila De Lima, to step down.

"[You should resign], you resign," said Duterte, addressing De Lima during a short speech on Monday, August 29, in Tacloban City.

Not one to mince words, Duterte even said if he were in her place, he would take his own life.

"If I were De Lima, ladies and gentlemen, I will hang myself. The innermost of your core as female being serialized everyday," said the President.

He was referring to De Lima's private affairs, including her supposed romantic relationship with her driver, that are now public knowledge largely due to the President's announcement during the Philippine National Police service anniversary.

Duterte, who previously blasted De Lima for "immorality," said the lady senator would make a bad example for women.

"[With all that's been exposed about you, you should resign. What kind of a role model are you to women? Can you tell them to follow you?]" said Duterte.

Last week, Duterte made public a matrix supposedly showing personalities involved in the New Bilibid Prison illegal drug trade. Senator De Lima and former Pangasinan governor Amado Espino Jr, now Pangasinan 5th District representative, are the two highest public officials in the matrix.

Emphasis mine. That's a direct quote, no translation.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
"You are immoral!" *goes back to encouraging the killings of drug users, fondly remembers that time he literally said he wanted to rape a woman*

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Schubalts posted:

"You are immoral!" *goes back to encouraging the killings of drug users, fondly remembers that time he literally said he wanted to rape a woman*

Since, a priori, drug users and loose women are literally the worst, he is clearly being very moral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This is unreal.