Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"If you don't like the country, get out" is my favorite Bush-ism making a roaring comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

drilldo squirt posted:

Is it just a poor translation or are the things Duterte says super insane?

Several of the quotes in this thread were spoken in English. Others were translated by us, and I would say the ones that weren't are fairly spot on.

In fairness, in this particular instance, it sounds like he was using "son of a bitch" in an exclamatory fashion, not as an insult. But now they're spinning it to say that he was calling the REPORTER a son of a bitch. Of course, the simplest solution would have been to, you know, not swear at all.

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 6, 2016

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
He's also already regretting the insult: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/duterte-expresses-regret-over-obama-comments-spokesman/3103660.html So we're basically following the same track as his insult to the Pope last year. Meeting is being rescheduled for a later date now.

Who would've thought spouting bullshit off of the top of your head could have negative repercussions? Welcome to the big leagues, Rody, we're not in Davao anymore.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That's by his spokesman, so I'm just waiting for him to deny that just like he denied the rape joke apology when his team apologized for him.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have been talking with my Filipino co-worker about this stuff, and he is adamantly pro Duterte. I bring up about how does Duterte know if the people he kills are drug dealers and just replies to me that you just know. On the other hand, alot of my other Filipina co-workers are against him.

In any case, I wonder what they long-term repercussions of this extrajudicial killing campaign would be on the country. Its obvious that I think they are hoping for a country similar to Singapore where both the crime rate and overall happiness of the country is low.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

gradenko_2000 posted:

And then this recent attack is going to let them play that up even more by shifting some of the blame onto America: if only the US hadn't created ISIS by destabilizing the Middle East, we wouldn't have this radical Islamist problem in Mindanao right now.

Hasn't MILF been a thing for like, at least 50 years now?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Argue posted:

That's by his spokesman, so I'm just waiting for him to deny that just like he denied the rape joke apology when his team apologized for him.

Christ, I forgot about when he wouldn't let them walk that one back. Well, fingers crossed he still wants to meet with Obama I guess?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hoo boy all my filipino friends on facebook are freaking the gently caress out about Obama canceling his meeting with duterte.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CronoGamer posted:

He's also already regretting the insult: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/duterte-expresses-regret-over-obama-comments-spokesman/3103660.html So we're basically following the same track as his insult to the Pope last year. Meeting is being rescheduled for a later date now.

Who would've thought spouting bullshit off of the top of your head could have negative repercussions? Welcome to the big leagues, Rody, we're not in Davao anymore.
It's a non-apology, because it's basically blaming the media (again) for interpreting the President's words in a way that Obama found to be insulting to him.

Like, the current spin is

"He wasn't actually cursing at Obama, he was threatening to curse at Obama if Obama brought up the issue of human rights during the Laos meeting"

Which isn't really that different because Josh Earnest already confirmed that that was a topic that was going to be brought up, which is why the local media asked Duterte about it in the first place.

KiteAuraan posted:

Hasn't MILF been a thing for like, at least 50 years now?

Yes.

Fun little history lesson:

Ferdinand Marcos had plans to expand the territory of the Philippines, as most right-wing dictators are won't to do. His target was the island of Sabah, which the Philippines has had an on-and-off nominal claim upon due to ancient disputes over whether it was supposed to have been part of the Philippines over some deal that the local rulers made with British colonialists.

Marcos' plan was to take a group of young Muslim Moros from Mindanao, train them to be commados, and send them over to Sabah to foment insurrection, dissent, and general chaos, with a long-term view towards turning Sabah into enough of a powder keg that he could step in to restore order.

So these young Moros were sent to train in the island of Corregidor, which one may remember as being the last stand of American forces in WW2 against the Japanese invasion of the Philippines. At some point, Moros discovered the ulterior motive behind their training, and they refused to go along with the plan, as that would involve attacking their fellow Muslims.

Their military trainers instead had them all killed, so that no witnesses would be left. Except one of them did escape - swam from Corregidor back to the Philippine mainland, and managed to relay his story to his fellow Mindanaoans.

This incident would come to be known as the Jabidah Massacre, and was the instigating event behind the radicalization and drive for autonomy of the Moro people.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

It could make things worse, or it could make a clean slate to try something new that actually works like in Nicaragua. Idk why Russia is in that list. Australia or South Korea would be more likely to try and exercise some political muscle to control the Philippines. Japan might too if not for the fact there's probably still a significant of sore wounds from WW2.

uh are you seriously using Nicaragua as a positive example of American/Western intervention?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Sure, why not! Remember, Duterte plans to visit Colombia to see how they won the war on drugs!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

drilldo squirt posted:

Is it just a poor translation or are the things Duterte says super insane?

It's actually much worse.

While his favorite curse word (and the one he used with President Obama) directly translates to "son of a bitch", it has the same impact as "motherfucker" or "oval office" in the Philippines.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I reread the statement and I hate to say this but it's hard for me to say that he was addressing Obama. It seemed quite pointedly directed at the press. Of course, there's still a mess of wrong here, such as his evading questions about his administration by just pointing out America's crimes, his general understanding of why world leaders meet, and the fact that he swore at all. Not to mention how his supporters will defend him regardless of how his words are interpreted. But at this point I think harping on the "son of a bitch" thing is just going to hurt critics since the full transcript makes it easy to spin it around on us and demonstrate how biased we are against him.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/05/politics/philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-barack-obama/index.html

Looks like Duterte is trying to walk it back a little.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tarantula posted:

How is it possible for somebody to rise to the position of leader of a country and not realize that insulting foreign leaders only makes you look like a twat to the world? It might buy you some cool points at home but surely they know other countries don't really enjoy making favorable deals with somebody acting like a 12 year old right?

It's possible because the only qualification is convincing enough dumb fuckers that you're less of an rear end in a top hat than the other candidate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte warns terrorists: I can eat people

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte said that he won’t hesitate to be a 'cannibal' if terrorists will not stop attacking the country.

“These guys are beyond redemption. [It's hopeless]. ISIS, [you seem them there in the] Middle East. They’ve burned 20 young girls for refusing to have sex. [What else do you expect me to do when faced with that],” the President ranted in front of the Filipino community in Laos Monday night as he talked about the recent terror attacks in the Philippines.

[You know, I can eat people. I'm going to tear open your flesh, just give me some salt and vinegar, I'm going to eat you. Yes, it's true. If you really push me to go the edge, I can eat people, just give me some salt and vinegar, I'm going to eat someone right in front you],” Duterte said.

On late Friday night, Roxas Night Market in Duterte’s home city of Davao was bombed, leaving 14 people killed and 70 others hurt.
The terrorist group Abu Sayyaf initially claimed responsibility for the incident, but later said it was an allied group behind the attack. Authorities, meanwhile, have yet to pinpoint those responsible for the bombing.

The incident prompted Duterte to release Proclamation No. 55 declaring a state of national emergency on account of lawless violence in Mindanao to step up police and military operations against terrorism.

The bombing came after 15 soldiers were killed amid intensified offensives against Abu Sayyaf after they beheaded an 18-year-old man. The bandits also threatened to attack other highly urbanized centers such as Metro Manila, Cebu, and Davao.

[I said in Visayan], walay sukod sa balos [revenge has no measure]. [I do not owe you anything. So go ahead, just keep bombing us over and over. When the time comes, I will eat you alive] I will devour you and if I have to erase you, [I want - I said - after all is said and done, not even one coconut tree will be left standing there. Not even a single tree, nothing will be left standing. So there],” the President snapped.

Duterte warns Abu Sayyaf: I will eat you alive

quote:

VIENTIANE, Laos — I will eat you alive.

President Duterte issued this grim warning to the terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group as he sought for understanding from Filipinos here regarding his take-no-prisoner strategy against criminality and the narcotics trade.

After hurling invectives at US President Barack Obama, the foul-mouthed Duterte turned his ire on the Abu Sayyaf, the al-Qaeda-linked terror group that has denied involvement in last week’s bomb attack that killed 14 people and wounded 67 others in the President’s hometown of Davao City.

Defending his tough stance against criminality, he said lawless elements like terrorists were already “beyond redemption.”

“If I have to face them, you know I can eat humans. I will really open up your body. Just give me vinegar and salt, and I will eat you,” the President told a gathering of the Filipino community at Feungfar Convention Center on Monday night.

“That’s true. If you annoy me to the fullest… I will eat you alive. Raw,” he said, eliciting chuckles from his audience, who included children.

Referring to the Abu Sayyaf, he said: “Go ahead. Set off bombs. Time will come when I will eat you in front of the people. I will devour you and if I have to, erase you.”

To be clear, I'm now instead underlining parts of quotations that I've had to translate myself, and I'm linking two articles of the same subject because the second one was already completely translated into English, just to give people an idea of what that's supposed to sound like.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

So did Duterte call Obama a son of a whore or not? Annoying people (Duterte supporters) on Facebook are claiming it wasn't directed at Obama or something

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Argue posted:

I reread the statement and I hate to say this but it's hard for me to say that he was addressing Obama. It seemed quite pointedly directed at the press. Of course, there's still a mess of wrong here, such as his evading questions about his administration by just pointing out America's crimes, his general understanding of why world leaders meet, and the fact that he swore at all. Not to mention how his supporters will defend him regardless of how his words are interpreted. But at this point I think harping on the "son of a bitch" thing is just going to hurt critics since the full transcript makes it easy to spin it around on us and demonstrate how biased we are against him.
Basically no, but he was swearing at the reporters and threatening to swear at Obama too.

I made a joke on Facebook today about how I watched all of Stranger Things and can definitively say Duterte isn't anything like the Demagogue like everyone says, but already my joke is out of date.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Chomskyan posted:

So did Duterte call Obama a son of a whore or not? Annoying people (Duterte supporters) on Facebook are claiming it wasn't directed at Obama or something

Well it's kinda caught on video and he has apologized for doing so...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/06/son-of-a-whore-was-not-meant-to-be-personal-duterte-tells-obama

I work on a dementia ward and I'm starting to think this guy has some frontal lobe disorder, like as in he actually can't help but say what he thinks no matter how offensive.

That would also explain his tendency to make sexual comments at inappropriate times or situations like: http://www.smh.com.au/world/philippines-rodrigo-duterte-condemned-for-comments-on-rape-of-australian-missionary-20160417-go8j7b.html

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 6, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chomskyan posted:

Okay, so the thing to understand about the quibbling over this news is that this all on the scale of Donald Trump and his surrogates saying he totally didn't mean to say people should shoot Hillary Clinton when he said something about 2nd Amendment people finding a solution.

It's plausible deniability wrapped up in arguments over semantics, tenses, and literal versus metaphorical translations.

The first thing to note is that he said the words. He did, there's no question. People are going to argue and debate over the specific translation.

"Putangina mo" is a contraction of "Puta ang ina mo"

"Puta" directly translates to whore
"ina" directly translates to mother

So that phrase is "Your mother is a whore", but applying any modicum of context will mean it translates to "son of a bitch" just as well, because if your mother's a whore, then you're a son of a bitch, right? Personally, I translated it to "motherfucker" just because of the emotional weight behind the imprecation, but CNN and BBC will disagree with me for taking creative liberties with the translation.

Spin 1: He wasn't cursing at Obama, he was threatening to curse at Obama if Obama brought up the issue of human rights and extra-judicial killings during their meeting in Laos. I find this a difference without a distinction. The White House already confirmed that as being on the agenda, so whether or not it was going to be in future isn't a meaningful difference.

Spin 2: He wasn't cursing at Obama, nor at future Obama, but rather at the reporters. That's still not something you do in polite company in front of news cameras.

Spin 3: He wasn't cursing at Obama, nor at future Obama, nor at the reporters, but rather he was frustrated at the situation the Philippines found itself in, and uttered a curse the same way you might say it if you stubbed your two. That's still not something you do in polite company in front of news cameras.

Ultimately, I don't know of any world leader, whether it's Obama, or David Cameron, or Angela Merkel, or even Vladimir Putin, that's had to resort to such crude language in order to make their points. I mean, they even made an entire skit/joke about how Obama has to have an "anger translator" to express how he really feels. That the Philippine President doesn't have any such filter is, to put it mildly, disappointing.

And excusing that behavior just because it wasn't literally pointed at President Obama is ultimately a distraction from the issue - that the President shouldn't be anywhere near a hot mic.

KingEup posted:

I work on a dementia ward and I'm starting to think this guy has some frontal lobe disorder, like as in he actually can't help but say what he thinks no matter how offensive.

That would also explain his tendency to make sexual comments at inappropriate times or situations.

It's cheap armchair psychology on the level of calling Trump a narcissist, but my dad also has taken to believing Duterte might have frontal lobe disinhibition.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's cheap armchair psychology on the level of calling Trump a narcissist, but my dad also has taken to believing Duterte might have frontal lobe disinhibition.

It's not just that, look at the way he stands at the lectern in the video and his strange body posturing, tics etc. Classic signs of frontal lobe problems.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

hoo boy all my filipino friends on facebook are freaking the gently caress out about Obama canceling his meeting with duterte.

Feel like grabbing some screens?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He's gone Mike Tyson.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37172002

This is an interesting BBC article where they talked to a woman who is part of the death squads and a small time drug dealer who's basically in hiding for fear of being murdered. People earlier in the thread were talking about how if you aren't poor, this isn't having much effect on you and that seems to bear out in the article. Both the killer and drug dealer are very poor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37172002

This is an interesting BBC article where they talked to a woman who is part of the death squads and a small time drug dealer who's basically in hiding for fear of being murdered. People earlier in the thread were talking about how if you aren't poor, this isn't having much effect on you and that seems to bear out in the article. Both the killer and drug dealer are very poor.

I remember one of the responses to this was to give the reporter a raise or something because they could find one of these so called secret killers and that the reporter was likely full of poo poo. It's clear that the reporter probably isn't making things up unless the person they interviewed is also making things up.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

uh are you seriously using Nicaragua as a positive example of American/Western intervention?

I won't speak on the justification on that and the US was definitely in the wrong on it, but at the very least, from those remains a more stable and healthier state came out of it compared to other countries that we've intervened in. It's definitely also possible for that to happen from an internal effort, but with active resisting forces in place, it makes change harder.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Xelkelvos posted:

I remember one of the responses to this was to give the reporter a raise or something because they could find one of these so called secret killers and that the reporter was likely full of poo poo. It's clear that the reporter probably isn't making things up unless the person they interviewed is also making things up.

Yeah, I did consider that but the BBC tends not to publish outright false information, so I figured I might as well post it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Secretary Clinton made remarks about the cancellation of the meeting with the Philippines, saying Obama "made exactly the right choice"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFn8QoBVv4

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The comments, of course, being Duterte supporters who want to make sure you understand that the literal translation of Duterte's words proves the media is biased. :sigh:

Tangential, but now I want to see how Trump responds. I want to see how these two interact because the chemistry would be truly zany!

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
He already did respond this morning.

"China wouldn't provide a red carpet stairway from Air Force One and then Philippines President calls Obama "the son of a whore." Terrible!"

So the focus was on the insults to America, but with Trump's twitter feed as context, was just an opportunity to point to someone getting one over on Obama.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Argue posted:

I wish I'd taken pics, but I just came back from a local comic con and one booth was selling Duterte sculptures of him in various action movie poses, with the most prominent one in front being Duterte wearing the Punisher's costume and dual wielding pistols.

Not mine but here; all the statues in the back save Pikachu are him too:

Now, I don't even know if this is actually from the pro-Duterte camp or if this is satire about how he's become an instant legend:

Translation:

quote:

In 1997, Rodrigo Duterte went to the United States to collect different kinds of snow. There, he met a lad who had lost all hope in his life. He told him: "just believe in yourself, and study geography, history, and civics". And that young man was the future president of the United States, Barack Obama.

And then there's this one, who thinks that this is in any way analogous to Duterte being a diplomatic trainwreck:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

some cool pinoy facebook memes

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I won't speak on the justification on that and the US was definitely in the wrong on it, but at the very least, from those remains a more stable and healthier state came out of it compared to other countries that we've intervened in. It's definitely also possible for that to happen from an internal effort, but with active resisting forces in place, it makes change harder.

The reason why Sandinista Nicaragua was unstable and unhealthy was because of it being undermined and sabotaged at every point by the United States. Irregardless Nicaraguans just ended up re-electing Ortega into power, who is now more powerful than he ever was in the 80s

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Argue posted:

Not mine but here; all the statues in the back save Pikachu are him too:

Are the motorcycle ones him as terminator 2 or just him on a bike?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Background:

Back in 2011, Filipino journalist Maria Ressa, who was a former chief of CNN's Manila bureau, founded Rappler, whose main draw was better integration with the internet and social media for news distribution and presentation. It was new and it was hip - think of a cross between Vox and Vice News, with maybe just a bit of Huffington Post thrown in.

I bring this up because while there has been an undercurrent of "the mainstream media is biased against Duterte" ever since the 2016 campaign season, this most recent incident with the Duterte-Obama meeting and its subsequent cancellation owing to the President's remarks, seems to have hit an especially strong nerve:

"Talangka" is the Filipino word for "crab", and "utak talangka" then translates to "crab-bucket mentality"

The point here is that anyone who is criticizing the Duterte administration is supposedly suffering from crab-bucket mentality: they don't want the Philippines to progress, so they're dragging the rest of the country down with them by unfairly attacking the President at every turn, up to and including engaging in dishonest, biased media tactics in order to do it:

And how Duterte's brand of leadership is actually what we need, drat the torpedoes:

And this last one I'm going to show is a direct intersection with the complete off-the-rails section of American conservatism, all because the article seems to depict Hillary Clinton as a foul-mouthed politician, which thereby excuses Duterte's own behavior:

And so was Rahm "We got the votes, gently caress 'em" Emanuel:

And so was even Obama (because he said the N-word when dictating his audiobook that one time?):

Now, this may just be me hitting the fringes of political discourse, but by God is it ever an ominous fringe, as we've basically hit "Obama's America" levels of polarization and media bubble-ness within the span of about a year.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I am more surprised they aren't using satire like the Thick of It and Veep as "proof".

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm really impressed they managed to get 9/11 levels of OUR COUNTRY RIGHT OR WRONG out of putting the boots to a bunch of low-level drug dealers.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Volcott posted:

I'm really impressed they managed to get 9/11 levels of OUR COUNTRY RIGHT OR WRONG out of putting the boots to a bunch of low-level drug dealers.
When you have one thing to justify breaking all the rules, you milk it like crazy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The reason why Sandinista Nicaragua was unstable and unhealthy was because of it being undermined and sabotaged at every point by the United States. Irregardless Nicaraguans just ended up re-electing Ortega into power, who is now more powerful than he ever was in the 80s

I haven't really looked into Nicaragua all that much fwiw, so I'll defer to your judgement there regarding Ortega and he government there. The most I've read up on was a recent article and an NPR story concerning how Nicaragua's drug problems are far less worse compared to surrounding countries due to implementing rehabilitation and mentoring programs to prevent children and teens from joining gangs via ex-gang members and other diversion techniques that tough on crime types would dismiss for being too weak on criminals.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Volcott posted:

I think the takeaway here is that even if you had a McCain or a Romney Presidency, you'd still have an insane level of polarization regardless because besides the empowerment of the standard conservative platform as being a legitimate basis for governance, there would still be a division as far as liberals being called-out as "haters" and "sour grapes" for having the temerity to question the government's actions.

Which, as I alluded to previously, already existed during the Bush era as far as "get out if you don't like it here", but stepped up to 11. Calls against "the liberal media" would be much more rabid once the case is made that MSNBC, et al are literally trying to execute a government takedown via misquotes, misrepresentation and "clickbait journalism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Christ, is Duterte trying to see how big a lie he can tell before people stop defending him? Is he just a big social experiment conducted by Trump to test how huge a whopper fanatic supporters are capable of swallowing?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...dinner-he-isnt/

quote:

In a news release earlier on Wednesday, the Philippine Office of the President said: "Presidents Duterte and Obama will be seated next to each other, which expectedly, will focus all cameras on them to deliver to the world the encounter of the two. Incidentally, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is also seated on the other side of President Duterte."

quote:

Despite these claims, images from the dinner quickly revealed that Duterte was not, in fact, seated next to Obama or Ban.

And this wasn't some offhanded remark he can play off as a joke he made "in the heat of the moment". It was an actual statement from his press team.

Edit: MATH BIAS! He's sitting next to them in some space that doesn't use Cartesian coordinates!

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 8, 2016