Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

A Filipino former militiaman testified before the country’s Senate on Thursday that President Rodrigo Duterte, when he was still a city mayor, ordered him and other members of a liquidation squad to kill criminals and opponents in gangland-style assaults that left about 1,000 dead.

Edgar Matobato told the nationally televised Senate committee hearing that he heard Duterte order some of the killings. Matobato acknowledged he himself carried out about 50 of the abductions and deadly assaults, including a man who was fed to a crocodile in 2007 in southern Davao city.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/15/philippines-president-drug-dealers-rodrigo-duterte-extrajudicial-killings-crocodile

:stare:

Also, Duterte himself straight-up murdered a justice department official with two clips from an Uzi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Do the news media not realise that Duterte has already admitted to murdering people?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

KingEup posted:

Do the news media not realise that Duterte has already admitted to murdering people?
Yeah - I'm a bit baffled as well. I mean, is it really surprising that the guy responsible for a nation-wide policy of murdering non-violent offenders is being accused of having personally killed people in the past? And how is that any different, morally or legally, from giving the orders to kill now?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd consider impeachment to be a distant possibility even if Matobato turns out to be an absolute slam-dunk (which he won't be, the campaign to discredit him has already begun and he's only human, with a standard flawed human memory).

Impeachment proceedings are initiated in the House, and the current Speaker is from the same party as the President (PDP-Laban), and they have a nominal majority in Congress after most people switched parties.

Absolutely, I don't mean to say impeachment would be certain. But calling the PH congress "fickle" is an understatement, they'll change parties with a stiff breeze. If they had a hint that Duterte might be in trouble they'd jump ship so fast. So my point is that if Matobato provides anything more concrete than scary bedtime stories of the DDS, that can't be just handwaved away as ranting of a crazed/coached witness... Bato would want to shut him up quick. It may not play out that way but I wouldnt put it past any of these characters.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Ersatz posted:

is being accused of having personally killed people in the past?

This goes beyond accusations, he has admitted to personally murdering people "about 3" on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tebans1dOYo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CronoGamer posted:

if Matobato provides anything more concrete than scary bedtime stories of the DDS, that can't be just handwaved away as ranting of a crazed/coached witness... Bato would want to shut him up quick.

I wrote-up an effort post of trying to verify some of Matobato's claims, as well as verify the counter-points that the various Senators tried to use to poke holes in his story.

quote:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2014/06/14/1334521/cebu-hotelier-shot-dead-davao

June 14 2014 - this article was an initial report on the killing of Cebu Hotelier Richard King. Of note in this account is that King was apparently having dinner at the time he was attacked, and that the police chief Senior Superintendent at the time was one Vicente Danao Jr.

That mention of Richard King having dinner at the time is important, because it lends credence to Matobato's account that King was killed at a McDonalds. We know that Senator Lacson questioned this, and that PhilStar article itself says that King was killed in the Vital C building, but as this Google Maps link indicates https://goo.gl/KpJ3pj , there actually is a McDonalds right where the Vital C building is.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/67948-davao-police-chief-relieved

Sep 02 2014 - in this article, Vicente Danao Jr. makes another appearance, this time for being relieved from his post after physical injury charges were filed against him by his wife, and after video is revealed exposing his supposed domestic abuse. The other noteworthy mention in this article is a quote from then-Mayor Rodrigo Duterte wherein he demands that Danao is reinstated, as he is handpicked by the Mayor.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/639005/davao-city-police-official-charged-with-murder-in-court-for-richard-kings-slay

Sep 18 2014 - this article, which details charges being filed against police Supt. Leonardo Felonia, corroborates Matobato's account: “Ako ang tinuturo nilang pumatay, si Felonia ang sinabi nilang mastermind. Sa pagkakaalam ko nakadetain si Col. Felonia dahil sa pagpatay kay Richard King,”, as quoted in http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/581473/news/nation/senate-witness-tags-paolo-duterte-in-the-2014-killing-of-billionaire-richard-king

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2015/09/22/1502758/5-cops-linked-davao-death-squad-snub-doj-probe

Sep 22 2015 - this is the first other known appearance of the name Edgar Matobato. Apparently he was going to serve as a witness in a DOJ probe into five Davao-based policemen for activities related to the DDS, and specifically for violations of the Anti-Torture Law under RA 9745. The five policemen never showed up for this hearing. One of the policemen involved in this probe is Vicente Danao Jr., whom we've established as being involved into the investigation of the Richard King murder.

This indicates that Matobato did not "come out of nowhere", as the DOJ had identified and was prepared to use him as a witness for at least a year now.

http://mindanaotimes.net/dcpo-director-explains-absence-at-hearing-on-police-death-squad-link/

Sep 28 2015 - in this follow-up article regarding the no-show of these five policemen, we then learn that back in 2009, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales penalized these five, plus another sixteen high-ranking police officers, for DDS-attributed killings from 2005 to 2008.

Cong. Karlo Nograles did issue a denial about Matobato's claims of bodyguards being killed as part of political strife, but given that the Representative owes his Congressional seat, and a plum committee chairmanship to the President and his party, there is a conflict of interest as far as him confirming these past events.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/727728/nograles-to-vote-for-rival-duterte-in-2016
http://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/11/28/15/nograles-duterte-end-decades-of-political-rift
http://www.rappler.com/nation/politics/elections/2016/119612-nograles-clan-supports-rodrigo-duterte
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/575912/news/nation/davao-city-solon-nograles-is-new-chair-of-house-appropriations-panel

Finally, another issue that came up during the hearing regarding Matobato's credibility was the kidnapping of a terrorist named Sali Makdum and taking him to the PAOCTF office in 2002, when by all accounts then-President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo had already dissolved the PAOCTF in April 2001.

http://www.denr.gov.ph/news-and-features/latest-news/773-denr-seeks-paoctf-help-to-stop-massive-gold-smuggling.html

Jun 10 2012 - this is an article written by the DENR wherein they specifically call upon the PAOCTF to aid them in halting the smuggling of gold and other precious metals, so even an entire government department was confused about the existence of the PAOCTF a full eleven years after they were supposed to have been already abolished.

http://paocc.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=102

Another angle to consider is that the PAOCTF went away in name only - the PAOCC was established at the same time as the PAOCTF, but the PAOCC was not abolished when the PAOCTF was, and both underwent numerous organizational changes that may simply have been above the purview of Matobato, who would keep calling it by the one name he came to know it by.

Some of this may go over your head as being too local news, but the TL;DR is that Matobato's claims are almost certainly true, and that the DOJ/CHR has probably known of his existence for a number of years as part of the initial late-2000's investigation into the Davao Death Squad, but they've never had the opportunity to let him enter his testimony into public record until now.

Some of the inaccuracies and inconsistencies in Matobato's story can be attributed to him doing this all out of memory, and that he's barely got a high-school level education.

Of course, the line coming out of the administration and its supporters is that Matobato is a paid/fake witness because he got some details wrong, like the brand/type of tape used to restrain kidnap victims, or that one of the victims was shot 30 times as being unrealistic, or that he claimed to have met Bato Dela Rosa (who then denied the meeting in turn), or that they claimed to have arrested and kidnapped a terrorist of a certain name who then the questioning Senator couldn't Google and therefore concluded didn't actually exist.

And that this is all a plot by the Liberal Party to give the illusion that there's merit to initiating impeachment procedures, so that the Liberal Party VP can replace Duterte instead.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wrote-up an effort post of trying to verify some of Matobato's claims, as well as verify the counter-points that the various Senators tried to use to poke holes in his story.

This is excellent. Thank you.

A lot of it is stuff that I wasn't aware of because I've only been tracking the Philippines for about 3 years now but this is all really useful to me.

As far as Matobato's testimony-- I'm certainly willing to listen and hear what he has to say. Cayetano's little "gotcha!" moment when he called the packing tape masking tape was such a laughably lovely moment, it's clear they're just trying to discredit the guy however they can. Same with Cayetano badgering him about the WPP and who was hiding him before the probe until Trillanes stepped in and they just started squabbling... I think Matobato has the administration nervous and that makes me very curious what he has to say. But it's going to have to be something substantive if the LP really wants to pin something on Duterte-- or else they need all of Duterte's other foibles to catch up to him, and for the war on crime not to wrap up in 6 months as he claimed it would, so that his 91% approval tanks and the House gets too nervous to prop him up any longer.

I just see all of this as part of a long game. Trillanes said even before the election that if Duterte won, a coup would be necessary. And that's a guy who has made coups and mutinies a side career for himself so he knows them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm fairly well conflicted as to how things might or should turn out.

Obviously I'm no fan of the violent rhetoric and state policy being espoused by the President, nor his flailing attempts at foreign policy, nor his generally rude demeanor, but a coup would be more bloodshed, and impeachment hearings would lead to harder polarization of the nation's politics since a number of the admin's supporters are already "primed" to believe that this was all a long-con (and God forbid it actually fail at the 11th hour as a vindication of Duterte), as well as a general delegitimization of the democratic process here since we did just throw out another President a short 16 years earlier, reasons notwithstanding.

Of course, keeping Duterte in power as-is may lead to more bloodshed and perversion of the state apparatus anyway, but I guess what I'm saying is that the President could still be doing a lot worse before we get to the tipping point where it'd be better for him to not finish out his term.

EDIT: On a somewhat unrelated note, the juxtaposition between the Philippines and the USPol thread is interesting, because while the more liberal end of the population here is treating the media as a bastion in the wake of Duterte's flip-flopping and outright lies and the admin is trying to paint them as dastardly liars, in the USPol thread everyone's almost unilaterally going "gently caress the media" over how they're treating Trump vs Clinton. The reasons are different, of course, but I though the distinction was fascinating.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 16, 2016

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

lilljonas posted:

This is interesting to read for me, as I did my MA thesis on the RH bill as a guest researcher in Manila back in 2009, but kind of lost touch on the subject.

Living in Manila, even just for a semester, makes me realize just a tiny bit how much more complex these issues are. I think it is hard to understand just how fertile the ground is for anti-crime and anti-terrorist populism is if you havent experienced how extremely militarized cities like Manila is - extreme segregation, poverty, shotgun-armed guards outside the shops, and just the constant presence of weapons that makes you feel like you're in a war zone at times, not a metropolitan city.

But yeah, regarding the Catholic Church in PH: a friend of mine did his thesis on mobilization of farmers for democracy walks, and I did mine on the RH Bill. It's amazing how disparate our views on the Catholic church was afterwards, and whether it provides a ray of hope or is bringer of catastrophy for the Filipino people. I do think that if he had been part of my fieldwork at the Jose Fabella Maternity Ward, he might have changed his mind.

Here's an article with some pictures:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2001422/Busiest-maternity-ward-planet-averages-60-babies-day-mothers-bed.html

The pictures for this article were taken while I was doing my junior internship OB/Gyn rotation at Fabella and my friends and classmates were the ones in the "medical staff" photos. It was a really crazy experience.

We had 36 hour shifts every 3 days (for 2 weeks) and I only got to sit down for maybe an hour total for that entire shift. One 24 hour period we're assigned strictly to the labor room, delivery room and operating room - which were all in the same floor of the same wing of the hospital. The only times I got to take a break and close my eyes were when they were prepping the OR for the next cesarean section. Our highest census for a single 24 hour period was 72 babies delivered. There was just one giant delivery room where all the mothers got to give birth, if they were lucky. There were times where it got so busy that mothers had to deliver on stretchers in the hallway between the labor room and the delivery room, or in the labor room itself.

The delivery room had 8 old school OB/Gyn exam tables and that was where they delivered the babies, with only a single resident doctor on duty for the entire delivery room (the residents worked in a team of 4 and two were in the OR for the cesarean sections and the other one was in the labor room). There were a bunch of midwives and midwives in training in the room as well. For my first delivery ever, the resident didn't even have time to help me with what to do because she was busy delivering two other babies at the same time. Thankfully the midwives guided me through basically everything except the episiotomy (THAT was scary when they were telling me to do it but not how to). My favorite part was after delivering the baby, we just take the placenta and dump it and the umbilical cords into one giant plastic trash bin right outside the delivery room. The scent of lochia would stick to you when you leave, so I took a long hot shower after every shift. The place also has the biggest mosquitos that I'd ever seen, which I mostly attribute to all the blood available for them to feed on.

So, yeah, I support the RH bill. Too bad my school was so against it (University of Santo Tomas) since it's run directly by the Dominican order in the Vatican, that they would actually teach us lies. I mean, I understand being against it but the fact that doctors were trying to teach future doctors lies just because it disagrees with the church, was utter bullshit. There was one medical ethics class where I had enough and they had me called into the dean's office and they put me on probation for calling them out. They were trying to teach us that condoms were not effective at preventing STDs, especially not HIV because condoms naturally had little pores that were large enough for viruses to pass through. And also that condoms were only minimally effective against preventing pregnancy (something like 25-40%). When I saw that I had classmates that actually were taking notes on this crap, I had to speak up. That same class they also put up a slideshow of riot police dealing with protesters at abortion clinics, with our professor saying that the people were just having a peaceful protest and so much force was used against them, completely ignoring and not mentioning all the anti-abortion violence that happens at those things.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 16, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is the current Speaker of the House of Representatives:

quote:

BACOLOD CITY - Self-confessed Davao Death Squad (DDS) member Edgar Matobato did not say anything new in his testimony on Thursday implicating President Rodrigo Duterte in alleged summary killings in Davao City, an ally of the President said.

House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez told local journalists that Matobato is a "recycled witness".

Alvarez said Matobato issued the same statements several years ago on the existence of the Davao Death Squad when Senator Leila de Lima was still chair of the Commission on Human Rights, but no case was filed.

Alvarez said he is from Davao and the only DDS he knows is "Die-hard Duterte Supporters", of which he is one.

Alvarez who was in Bacolod City Thursday, said de Lima's motives for leading an investigation on killings amid the Duterte administration's war on drugs should be looked into.

He said the lower House will start next week its own inquiry on the proliferation of illegal drugs when de Lima was Justice Secretary.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that "ka-DDS", or "fellow DDS members" is a thing people call each other in the Duterte-supporting Facebook pages.

Think about that. "Davao Death Squad" as a badge of loving pride. It's like Trumpists referring to each other as "SS bros"

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 16, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Pepe Posse

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VlNXtccG8k

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KingEup posted:

This goes beyond accusations, he has admitted to personally murdering people "about 3" on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tebans1dOYo

Independent confirmation is nice, though, because while he's undoubtedly been responsible for a lot of heinous stuff, he also spouts a ridiculous amount of tough-guy bullshit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Former-lawmaker-and-now-TV anchor Teodoro ”Teddy Boy” Locsin has been appointed as the new Philippine ambassador to the United Nations (UN), Malacañang confirmed on Sunday.

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/631981706933702656

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/772926761591971841

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/618595870221557760

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/529053413619662848

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/730176534485467136

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/521221567095648256

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/488338570264850432

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/487293694442082305

His whole account's a goldmine of poo poo if you want to go looking, but he's got some very confused politics going on

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Big horny black neo-Nazis, huh?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Did we just appoint an Asian neo-Nazi (http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/chappelles-show/videos/frontline-clayton-bigsby-pt-1-uncensored) as our ambassador to the United Nations?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Cool, human garbage heap Teddy "I want to cut off your dick and rape your mother with it" Locsin must be there to draw attention away from Duterte's potty mouth by saying even more insane things. I remember him talking poo poo about the RH bill and I see one of those quotes that got me angry made the cut.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay this might go over the heads of our English speaking forum-goers, but searching Locsin's twitter for Duterte's "son of a whore" expression is just :allears:

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3Ateddyboylocsin%20putangina

And probably his most famous tweet:

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/483528644828999680

"I am paying P3,900 for 0.57 mbps. Hey, [Philippine Long-Distance Telecommunications] gently caress you all, motherfuckers."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

And probably his most famous tweet:

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/483528644828999680

"I am paying P3,900 for 0.57 mbps. Hey, [Philippine Long-Distance Telecommunications] gently caress you all, motherfuckers."

unironically agreeing with this

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
TBF my internet service has been pretty drat good (at least for my needs) ever since PLDT and Globe stepped up their game earlier this year.

Granted, it was because they had to blow out Telstra's attempted entry into the country through a joint venture with San Miguel, which was also facilitated through some ruthless politicking through government agencies and still leaves the duopoly with a tight grip on the local market, which means the service could go to poo poo again if they wanted to cut corners and enjoy one of the most insane returns on investment for telecoms around the globe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is still a developing story, but I wanted to share it while it's fresh:

Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, attack dog of the Duterte administration, delivered a privilege speech today wherein he attacked Liberal Party Senator Leila De Lima.

De Lima decided to walk out of the Senate hall.

quote:

Saying she could no longer stand Senator Alan Peter Cayetano's speech directed at her, Senator Leila De Lima on Monday afternoon walked out of the Senate session hall.

In a privilege speech, Cayetano said: “Senator De Lima, in her desire to destroy the President, is destroying the integrity and reputation of the Senate.”
“Worse, damaging the image of our country and people worldwide,” Cayetano, a close ally of Duterte, said. Cayetano was the vice-presidential candidate of Duterte in the 2016 national elections.

In a brief interview at the Senate hallway, De Lima said she would just deliver her own privilege speech instead of interpellating Cayetano.

“I cannot stand it so I’m gonna deliver a privilege speech tomorrow instead of confronting him," De Lima said.

“What is destroying the reputation of this country are the killings. It’s not me,” she added.

Senator Manny Pacquiao (yes, as in the boxer) then made a motion to have the Chairmanship of the Justice Committee, currently occupied by De Lima, be declared vacant.

Both Pacquiao and Cayetano took themselves out of consideration for the chairmanship, as they needed someone "neutral"

The motion passed: 16 affirmative, 4 negative, 2 abstain.

Replacing her as chair of the Justice Committee is Senator Richard Gordon

Who, if you'll recall from earlier in the thread, wanted to give the President further emergency powers, up to and including the suspension of the Writ of Habeas Corpus and has staked himself out as a staunch administration ally.

I feel sick, having typed that all out just now. This is even less subtle than the end of Revenge of the Sith.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Jesus Christ. gently caress. And that's Richard "let's suspend the writ of habeas corpus" Gordon. gently caress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

Jesus Christ. gently caress. And that's Richard "let's suspend the writ of habeas corpus" Gordon. gently caress.

I'm scurred Argue :ohdear:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Do you guys have ways you could get out of the country? Not joking.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have family in the US. I should get a new visa.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
So, I wonder if Matobato is going to commit suicide, be found with one of those "I am a drug dealer" signs, or is going to just plain disappear.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ceiling fan posted:

So, I wonder if Matobato is going to commit suicide, be found with one of those "I am a drug dealer" signs, or is going to just plain disappear.

They don't need to kill him anymore.

His testimony already had enough circumstantial holes shot in it to permanently damage his credibility as a witness.

Further, the Senate hearings were technically "in aid of legislation". That is, they were a series of inquiries that were supposed to provide insights and information on whatever bills the Senate would craft that would help/enhance/further guide the implementation of the War on Drugs, so the germaneness of Matobato's testimony was also in question.

And that's besides the fact that nothing could come out of that testimony that could be used against the President, given that he's the President - even if the committee were to somehow uncover some bulletproof, provable Davao Death Squad link to the President, the Senate isn't the correct body for it - impeachment proceedings start in the House, and the current Speaker of the House is a staunch administration ally.

And speaking of the House, they themselves are launching a "probe" into allegations that Senator De Lima, the now-former Justice committee chairman, was on the payroll of drug lords, and the administration is willing to go HAM on this hard enough to offer immunity to currently-incarcerated drug lords in exchange for their testimony against the Senator.

One of the opposition Senators, one Antonio Trillanes, was supposed to file a motion to continue investigating Matobato's claims regarding the Davao Death Squad, but given the events of today, that's not likely to gain the support it needs.

Further, now that the administration has their man as the Justice committee chair, we can expect that the rest of these hearings are going to be fluffer sessions for the government.

Even before today, Matobato's testimony was already discredited to the point where they'd need to launch an entirely separate investigation just to look into it.

After today, that investigation is guaranteed to never happen. They might still kill him regardless, but I imagine it's going to be weeks or months from now, long after people have forgotten.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

1stGear posted:

Do you guys have ways you could get out of the country? Not joking.

I'm doing remote work for a company in the Bay Area; I'm hoping they'll extend me a full-time job by the end of the year when my contract ends. Then I just need to work on getting an H1B. We're not enemies of the state or anything so I don't think we'd be flat out barred from going abroad even if martial law were to happen. I just don't want to have to stress over this anymore.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Silly me, I didn't think they were far enough along in their takeover to pin a "I am a drug dealer" sign on Senator De Lima. Welp.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My dad is traveling to the Philippines at the end of the month. At least he's a Duerte supporter

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Xelkelvos posted:

My dad is traveling to the Philippines at the end of the month. At least he's a Duerte supporter

You know what you have to do.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
And what is that, exactly?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
How strong is their case against de Lima anyway? Last I heard anything about that, they were trying to play the morality police and slut-shame her for alleged infidelity.

Also making the rounds are people blaming the international media for "destabilizing the country". Yea sure, blame the international media for the trouble in the glorious Democratic People's Republic of the Philippines. :allears:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Well, at least the trains jeepneys will run on time - that makes the impending disaster all worth it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manny Pacquiao, nooo

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
lol that guy's twitter account

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/774987919547170816

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/777482590764736518

Yes I can see how he would be a good UN ambassador

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Manny Pacquiao, nooo

Juan Manuel Marquez broke his brain, it appears.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there a visible number of people in the country who are remorseful about electing Duterte at this point? Like are there people who are basically saying "I didn't think this would happen, I only voted for this" or are the "sides" in politics still pretty much where they were when Duterte was elected?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
One of my friends commented on a Facebook post about Duterte, tagging a Philipine friend in it.

Turned into: "You aren't there, you cannot understand, Biased Media, etc."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

chami posted:

How strong is their case against de Lima anyway? Last I heard anything about that, they were trying to play the morality police and slut-shame her for alleged infidelity.

Also making the rounds are people blaming the international media for "destabilizing the country". Yea sure, blame the international media for the trouble in the glorious Democratic People's Republic of the Philippines. :allears:

It sounds like the case will end up being as strong as the administration wants it to be.