Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The first exposure I had to Duterte was someone posting on Facebook that his presidency is what would happen if someone based their political platform on YouTube comments. It's not far off the mark. How likely is a Marcos-style state of emergency in the future, what would start it, and how long would it take before Duterte says "gently caress everything" and implement it?

Argue posted:

It feels like surely John Oliver's team wants to do a full-length segment on Duterte
Nah, John's main stories at this point seem to be strictly America only. And even if he did, the viewer would have to suffer through one of his five canned reactions to every clip of Duterte saying something stupid and/or outrageous.

It's a shame, John's trolling of Jack Warner was a thing of beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He's gone Mike Tyson.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

MANILA – The Philippines is looking at getting military equipment from China and Russia, President Rodrigo Duterte said Tuesday evening.

Speaking in front of members of the Philippine Air Force at Villamor Air Base in Pasay City, Duterte said possible deals with Russia and China are "in the pipeline" and that "offers are coming in." However, he did not discuss what the details of the proposals.

Duterte also said China offered airplanes to the Philippines because Beijing is "worried" about him.

"[China said they are worried about me. So they offered to give airplanes]," he said.

He added that China may have offered military equipment because Beijing is "also thinking of the other guy," referring to the United States, with which he clarified the Philippines is not cutting military ties.

"[It is already there]. Who am I to [do away with] a treaty?" he said.

However, the country will also be "independent" and will welcome other possibilities when it comes to procuring equipment or weaponry for the armed forces.

"[If we want to buy from one source, if it's free, why won't we take it? Thanks. Here, mayor, we will give you an airplane. I will give that to the Air Force, you should use that]," he said.
This just sounds like chest thumping to me. Haven't the Philippines and China been in a territorial dispute for a couple of years?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

After reading sources in this thread and elsewhere, I figured dictatorship was coming to the Philippines. What I wasn't expecting was a grand total of three months to elapse between Duterte's inauguration and the end of Philippine democracy. If anyone in this thread can leave, find a way to do so. Things won't get better until they get far worse.

Also, I kinda wish Mayweather beat the absolute poo poo out of Pacquiao like he did with numerous women, instead of the cowardly style he used in that fight and throughout his career.

gradenko_2000 posted:

His whole account's a goldmine of poo poo if you want to go looking, but he's got some very confused politics going on
I disagree, fetishizing Nazis seems to be a common link.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, from an economic and foreign policy perspective, this is why you don't want to Trump to be President:

Duterte: I'm about 'to cross the Rubicon' with the United States
Well, that, and also because there will absolutely be someone in Congress that'll turn out to be our equivalent of dictatorship-enabling Manny Pacquiao. My money's on Tom Cotton.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C'mon, CIA, set up a coup in the Philippines. You know, for old times' sake. You haven't lost that old Cold War know-how, have ya?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

We should be past supporting coups at this point. I mean, yeah, we aren't, but we should be. I'd also like to think the CIA recognizes that coups are modern day monkeys paws deals.
I was 95% joking. In any case, I don't see a coup, CIA-backed or not, happening unless these postures to Russia and China become more than that. Even then, the US government would have to think that something harmful can come out of actual alliances.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

Mr. Ruther M. Urquia was a contract artist of Star Magic ABS-CBN from 2010-2013 and a former president of The Magicians’ Foundation Inc.

He is currently the president of Team Ruther (Ruther Urquia Ent. Center), Advisory Council of The Magicians Foundation Inc.-Int’l Brotherhood of Magicians Ring 322 and Papetirs Club Int’l Philippines.
"They're illusions, Michael! Tricks are something a whore does for drugs before she's deservedly murdered by the cops."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

“[It's just an expression. Why would they take this seriously? It's not like Obama can actually go to hell, right?] He could have said go to heaven, [that's just an expression]. It shouldn't be taken too seriously,]” Sotto told reporters.

Flayer posted:

Duterte ran on a platform where he clearly and openly said he was going to kill drug dealers once elected and the people voted for him in huge numbers despite the fact that he is completely outside the normal political machinery of the country. Duterte is doing what he said he would and what the people of the Philippines voted him in to do. Calling him things like a dictator is just childish. If you have a problem with Duterte you have a problem with democracy as an ideology.
The legislature is mostly behind him in lockstep, the Senate deposed a senator from her committee position for daring to look into extrajudicial killings, and they replaced her with someone who thinks that Congress-approved martial law would be the best way to combat a drug problem that is completely overblown and falls overwhelmingly on the poor. Also Duterte favorably compared himself to an undemocratic genocidal manic.

I don't think the people of this thread are the ones who have a problem with democracy, buddy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ooooo, I can't wait to see what nickname he gives himself as a way of thumbing his nose to his country's former colonial masters. My money's on "The Second Coming of Jefferson Davis."

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is it too late to dub him Pinoychet?
Well, I'm sure as hell calling him that now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Again. AGAIN with delivering an anti-US tirade in the middle of a completely unrelated event.

Duterte to US: Do not treat PHL like a doormat

Maybe he's reading this thread guys :shobon:
CIA covert ops are a notion mocked by tinpot dictators and wannabe tinpot dictators since it was created. But in the off chance that he is reading it, let it be known that I was joking.

Pilsner posted:

Can anyone native to Phili read between the lines and imagine that Duterte, aside from battling with words and sucking up to China, might end up turning Phili in a communist direction, like it happened disastrously in Veneluela?
Considering how Duterte's presidential campaign was almost entirely bankrolled by a small group of very wealthy people, I'd say the chances of that happening are slim to none.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Argue posted:

Constitutional Assembly? Con-rear end.
Well they got that one right :v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

They've done these for most recent American presidents, but I'd imagine that there isn't much of a market for masks of past presidents in the Philippines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

Rolando Espinosa, mayor of the central town of Albuera, had fired at officers searching for weapons, police said.
Call me a drug pusher but I don't believe them.