Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Argue posted:

I don't know why it's only being reported on now (okay, it's probably because Duterte overshadowed everything), but in other news, the reproductive health bill, which was the subject of much controversy (from conservatives, of course), and which was passed last year, is still nowhere near implementation. We've had a long and sordid history with reproductive health--this bill, in its original form, is older than many of the constituents that it aimed to help. After much handwringing, the bill was finally approved last year--and almost immediately put on hold by the Supreme Court until they can verify that it's safe... or moral, or whatever. So in practice, we're essentially back to square one on reproductive health.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/815108/sc-puts-rh-law-on-hold

Part of the bill was to provide easier access to contraceptives for those who couldn't afford it, but this was seen as contributing to a "contraceptive mentality", a very vaguely defined notion of immorality that enables promiscuity and promotes a "culture of death", so now the onus is on them that these will not allow someone to easily terminate a pregnancy after the moment of conception.

I probably have a bunch of posts about this whole business in the SE Asia thread. And believe me, we need contraceptives (and good sex ed, which the bill also favors) really badly.

This is interesting to read for me, as I did my MA thesis on the RH bill as a guest researcher in Manila back in 2009, but kind of lost touch on the subject.

Living in Manila, even just for a semester, makes me realize just a tiny bit how much more complex these issues are. I think it is hard to understand just how fertile the ground is for anti-crime and anti-terrorist populism is if you havent experienced how extremely militarized cities like Manila is - extreme segregation, poverty, shotgun-armed guards outside the shops, and just the constant presence of weapons that makes you feel like you're in a war zone at times, not a metropolitan city.

But yeah, regarding the Catholic Church in PH: a friend of mine did his thesis on mobilization of farmers for democracy walks, and I did mine on the RH Bill. It's amazing how disparate our views on the Catholic church was afterwards, and whether it provides a ray of hope or is bringer of catastrophy for the Filipino people. I do think that if he had been part of my fieldwork at the Jose Fabella Maternity Ward, he might have changed his mind.

Here's an article with some pictures:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2001422/Busiest-maternity-ward-planet-averages-60-babies-day-mothers-bed.html

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah the source of problems in the Philippines is clearly that people are not religious enough.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, malls are basically reserves that are heavily guarded by armed people who will search bags and trunks of people coming in, so you can walk around in them without having to watch your back in the same way. They are also airconditioned and protect you from rain. Also, you can get alcoholic milkshakes. It was a great safe place for a whitey foreigner to spend his weekends, actually.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah we're not talking "free abortions 24/7", we're basically talking "being legal to sell condoms in Manila". The Executive Order 003 had declared that all public Healthcare in Manila had to be "natural family planning", practically outlawing supplying condoms, pills and IUDs for a large part of the population who got them through foreign aid, which got banned. I did my thesis on comparing local healtcare clinics inside Manila and clinics who were not covered by the EO, and the effects were startling, with a very large number of teenage pregnancies (13-14 yo) inside Manila.

I went with some community outreach programs in Manila that were aiming to reduce the number of babies in the slums, and the only tools they were using was to teach about pulling out and safe periods. So yeah, not very simple.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 1, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Okay, thanks for that. I wasn't able to find the thread when I was looking for it last night. I didn't realize it hadn't had a post in almost a month.

So does he plan on just rescinding any claims that the Philippines has on the South China Sea to get China to act as a partner, or what? Because I don't see China saying "Yes, we'll step in and take the US's place," for pretty much no return. I'm not sure why he thinks Russia would make a good partner but eh.

To me it seems like a pretty open offer to expand China's sphere of influence in the SCS for almost no work at all from China's side. I'd be cautiously optimistic about Duterte's US hatred if I was China.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Eej posted:

Did anyone tell Duterte that comparing himself to Hitler, greatest slaughterer of Russians in history, when attempting to curry favour with Russia is probably not that great of an idea yet?

He's probably hoping to get half of Poland from Putin.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Malls are:

1) clean

2) cooled

3) safe

I always end up staying wayyyy more time in malls in Asia than when I'm in a European city based on this. Also you can get tasty spiked fruit milkshakes in the Ph malls, so no need to go anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'm just amazed that he still has any supporters. I mean, we're talking Bond villain levels of awfulness these days, he's barely even trying to put a spin to it. Just "gently caress you, I'll kill anyone who oppose me".