Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fizzil posted:

Anyone keeping numbers on how many died so far? How bad is it?

3,500 is the most recent number I've heard, but any figure is going to be questionable simply because there's no way to accurately attribute actual, sanctioned extra-judicial killings vs. one rear end in a top hat killing another and putting a sign on his chest saying "Drug Pusher"

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/145814-numbers-statistics-philippines-war-drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

gradenko_2000 posted:

He cannot get re-elected, as Philippine Presidents only serve a single six-year term, as opposed to American Presidents that can do two four-year terms.

As for indications that he won't leave at the end of his term, he's repeatedly threatened to close down Congress (and again) (and again), repeatedly threatened to impose Martial Law, and said this in the same speech where he told Obama to go to hell:

But maybe he didn't really mean it, we have to wait for him to explain himself.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I want that mask. I'll go to a halloween party in character.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

computer parts posted:

A lot of coding is done there too, I actually have a friend there who codes some popular software (SAP?).

gradenko_2000 posted:

So yeah I do IT for a call center and my sister is a SAP coder so US companies pulling out of here would be ... bad

SAP is a German company, not American. Off topic, but I wouldn't worry about your sister and friend retaining employment unless things really go south.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Spangly A posted:

drug crises are pretty much a media fabrication about a problem that's hilariously easy to solve if you care about results more than elections. As such they reflect local panics about whatever has gained media traction. Meth is the big bad in SE Asia. In the UK it's Ecstacy, then legal highs

How exactly do you solve drug crises? Treat it as a public health issue? I'd agree that it lessens and mitigates the damage and is generally a better approach, but solve is a pretty strong word in this context. If you have a specific approach, or better yet a case study I'd love to read it. I'm being completely serious, I can't name a country that has solved the drug problem.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

These are just alternative facts.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

How bad is it for American tourists right now? A friend of a friend is having his wedding this year (he's Filipino) and a number of other friends are going. I'm assuming the groom is smart enough to avoid the actually dangerous places, but how ugly is it currently and how ugly is it likely to get? Any guesses? Everyone that would be traveling is an American citizen.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Strictly speaking from the context of firearms training, he's not wrong - doesn't matter whether you're military, law enforcement, or a private gun owner - if you're going to shoot at someone, shoot to kill. That said, with Duterte's record so far this reads like an attempt to plaster veneer over what's already happened in his...what do we even call it now? War on drugs? Because it sure as poo poo seems like he's waging one.

Note: I'm not making an excuse for what's going on in the Philippines under Duterte, I've never been. Just pointing out that one single point of his article is accurate, despite the rest of it being a clear effort to provide cover for Duterte. Before anyone jumps on my post for that poo poo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tiglao is technically not wrong when he says that of course you can't/shouldn't expect the police to only shoot-to-disable, but he's being disingenuous because:

1. Duterte does believe in shoot-to-disable, under the right circumstances:

2. Duterte has previously instructed the police to just plant guns on drug suspects to give the impression of a righteous shoot against someone who was resisting arrest:

3. and this leads us to today, where the police claimed that Kian de los Santos, the slain 17-year-old, was armed and shot back at them during their raid, necessitating the fatal shooting, only for his gunshot residue test to come back negative, along with the gun having been found in his non-dominant hand.

1. Duterte is flat out disagreeing with training methods for most LEO organizations. They generally adhere to some sort of a force continuum model that specifically describes what type of force to use and when. I can't speak to the Philippines, but this is widespread elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_force_continuum

Simply put, if the officer does not feel like his life is in danger, he (generally) shouldn't engage with lethal force. It varies widely in how it's applied, and again I can't speak to the Philippines but it's a good general guideline.

2. He's advocating corruption, don't think you're going to see me defend this.

3. And this is why.

Again, I'm not arguing for anything Duterte advocates - the dude is terrifying and I've got friends planning to go to the Philippines next year. I'm a little nervous on their behalf. Just pointing out that a strict "shoot to kill" directive is not out of line for most law enforcement organizations (though they'd probably call it "shoot to incapacitate" or "shoot until there is no more threat" because that sounds better in the press). I can't loving believe the dude said "shoot them in the hand"....that's an impossible shot in the heat of the moment, jesus.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This is the most bizarre thing I've seen in a long time. What the gently caress?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

anakha posted:

Damage control for the senile old man's rants is a full time job.

I thought this was the Philippines thread, not the Trump thread.