Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I'm assuming a war on drugs is a good one to pick, because it will never end and he can continue to reference for whatever he wants or needs. But if for some reason it is successful, what do you all think his next political boogeyman would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yep - totally the same thing: undeniable wrongs from 100 years ago that were implemented and perpetrated by people long dead and that would require a time-machine to fix, versus a policy implemented by you yourself, within the last year, that is still in effect, and which could be rescinded by you if you simply gave the word.

Here's what's actually the same thing: Filipinos are the victims in both cases.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Well, at least the trains jeepneys will run on time - that makes the impending disaster all worth it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

ihatepants posted:

I know this is one of those "my uncle works at Nintendo" type stories, but I have heard from others in the know (that also hate Duterte) that De Lima really does have connections to the drug trade and has her right hand man handles pretty much everything with that. She is also very willing to be bribed, even compared to her other peers. She's dirty as gently caress and probably deserves everything that's coming to her.

I was talking a bit about the stuff going with a couple of co-workers - none of us is Filipino by the way. One of them was saying something along the lines of the above, like "yeah, it wouldn't be surprising if the people at the top were all big players in the drug trade because that's how it works where I came from. She's probably dirty as hell." He's from Honduras.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Xelkelvos posted:

At first I assumed you meant Duerte was probably dirty until I saw "She" and felt disappointed.

It doesn't matter to me what she is involved in: due process is paramount, and extra-judicial killings are abominations. I like to believe in the rule of law. Is it a luxury? American privilege? It's amazing (and frightening) to me how people are willing to throw away freedom and sign over everything to a dictator once they fee their personal security is at stake.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Would it help if some world leader said, "No, gently caress YOU, buddy" and flipped him off with both hands? Maybe follow that up with , "Now that we've got that out of the way, let's get back to the issues we've raised?"

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Which mass-murdering dictator will he compare himself to next? Pol Pot? Stalin? Should we start laying odds?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is it too late to dub him Pinoychet?

:hfive:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Someone needs to let Teddy Locsin Jr. know about this, and prepare for some cognitive dissonance:

Adolf HItler was the 'Fuhrer' of drugs

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Ytlaya posted:

I went to a high ranked undergraduate business school and The World is Flat was assigned reading for one of my junior year classes (I think international business?). I remember being genuinely confused as to how our professor, who is presumably a smart person, what with being a tenured professor at a high ranked university, could think that this book is worthwhile. At the time I assumed I was just missing something, but later I realized that a large portion of people involved with finance and business are just really dumb.

Streamlined that for you.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Depending on the context, I think people can look at a car vs mob thing as self-defense, because a big angry mob surrounding your car is a scary thing, and lord knows there's stories out there where people are pulled from their cars and beaten to death if you look.

People celebrating cars running over people are simply assholes though.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Whoever applied the Dunning-Kruger effect to this guy nailed it. And I'm thankful to SA for introducing me to this term.

In my best Bugs Bunny voice, "What a maroon."

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Well, divine mandate is an oldie-but-a-goody in the authoritarian playbook - I just didn't imagine anyone was going to dust it off in a 21st-century republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

That's some sad six-degrees of separation poo poo.