Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dirty Harry actually was criticized for having fascist overtones. The sequel's plot was a response to that accusation and was about how proactive police death squads was a step too far even for Harry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Very interesting unpacking. Being from a Third-World country myself, I could recognize some of the rhetoric, but the background helps. The whole "you guys don't understand our plight, you arrogant colonialist/imperialists" pride gambit is really familiar. And given the West's history of intervention and favoring pet dictators, it finds purchase in a lot of people's hearts.

Plus, let's face it, an intervention by the US, China, or Russia in the Philippines could still end up making things worse.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

It could make things worse, or it could make a clean slate to try something new that actually works like in Nicaragua. Idk why Russia is in that list. Australia or South Korea would be more likely to try and exercise some political muscle to control the Philippines. Japan might too if not for the fact there's probably still a significant of sore wounds from WW2.

Just listing off large nations that like to meddle. Not really commenting on the likelihood of anything.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

How long until Duterte makes an alliance with the DPRK?

One positive thing about intensely nationalistic regimes is that they tend to be mutually antagonistic more often than not. They can form alliance blocs from time to time, but they don't last the way, say, NATO has.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

As I recall, China used some extremely draconic methods back in the day to eliminate its opium addiction problem, so Duterte might be looking forward to getting some training on that, too.