Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Homogeny, meet pride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

KingEup posted:

This was published a few years back and seems to be eerily prescient and applicable to the state of affairs in the Philippines:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2014/dec/04/-sp-case-against-human-rights

Cmon Duterte, all you gotta do is deploy that lawyer training and use your words to hide your intentions better.

The fact he does the opposite of that kind of reassures me that honesty is what's driving all of his social interactions. EJKs are still a sin though, of course.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The thing that I find so amazing about all of this is how transparently obvious it is that Duterte is behaving exactly like any other stereotypical dictator. I can't understand how a person who has attended school and learned even the slightest bit about world history could hear his rhetoric and think "yes, this is totally fine and good."

It honestly seems like a significant portion of the population there would support virtually any atrocity Duterte chooses to commit, as long as he gives some half-baked explanation about how it's helping the war on drugs. Even though it should be obvious, it's still kind of spooky to be reminded that people are still vulnerable to being manipulated into supporting such terrible things.

Hello and welcome to the something awful dot com forums. Were you expecting the Philippines to reject a presidential candidate based on the musings of a bunch of white college-educated males born between 1980 and 1990? I think it would take a little more than "the slightest bit" of education to be able to think critically about Duterte's true intentions.

Reminder that he was a lawyer--why isn't he being more coy with his wording and message if he wants to become a dictator? I think he's just honestly angry at the drug situation.

EJKs are still a sin though, of course