Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is purely conjecture on my part, but I suspect that Duterte is a lot more "uncontrollable" than his handlers initially expected. A lot of these "gaffes" are being made when he does a fairly routine ceremonial visit, has a hot mic in front of him, and then he speaks off the cuff, and the speech invariably has a policy pronouncement that comes out of left field that the Press Secretary and the Foreign Affairs Secretary then have to scramble to "clarify".

Combine this with the Press Secretary and the Foreign Affairs Secretary being cronyist appointments who're not all that good at their jobs, and end up with a mess.

Even in the longer-term view, I think it was likely that the political clique of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo tapped Duterte as a candidate that they could run and win to get them all back into the halls of power: they get reappointed into the cabinet and can have the President rubber-stamp their conservative economic policy, and in exchange he gets a free hand in domestic affairs - make the Davao anti-crime campaign nationwide.

The President maybe isn't acting as circumspect and as subtle as they might like, but the repercussions and regrets haven't started to sink in yet.

I'm leaning more and more this way the more time Duterte spends in front of a mic.

I can actually understand the points he wants to make when he ad libs, but he has a talent for saying them in the worst way possible and in the easiest way for media to misinterpret or manipulate. Case in point the original 'cussing at Obama' speech. It doesn't help that his cabinet, in their haste to keep his mouth from getting him into more trouble, release statements that end up contradicting each other and causing even more loving confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CronoGamer posted:

Ugh Noynoy why couldn't you have dropped that boring tool Mar and supported Grace from the start

Utang na loob, I guess? Noy owes Mar for 'stepping aside' in 2010 when everybody knew Mar was gunning for the presidency then.

LP's skill in tearing down opponents was apparent even then: Manny Villar was far and away the leading candidate before the campaign period started, pretty similar to Binay's position before the corruption accusations came out.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Argue posted:

Nah this only happens if you insult Duterte and said remarks go viral

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It's an obvious shame tactic, and incredibly, horrifyingly, embarrassingly misogynistic besides.

Especially considering the President himself boasts of getting some on the side in the past.

E: mind you, I'm not on de Lima's side here. After she gleefully led the kangaroo court impeachment of Chief Justice Corona during the past administration, she deserves some negative karma heading her way.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 29, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Flayer posted:

people voted for him in huge numbers

Which still ended up being a plurality and not a majority vote. 16 million voted for him, which leaves another 28 million who didn't. If those 28 million feel he's imposing his will on them, wouldn't that still be considered dictatorship?

Flayer posted:

If you have a problem with Duterte you have a problem with democracy as an ideology.

My problem is with democracy as implemented in the Philippines, which results in morons like Pacquiao getting elected to the Senate despite an attendance record in Congress that would have high school stoners jealous.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Argue posted:

Things the Philippines has done to disgraced leaders:
  • Heroes' burial for a dictator who murdered thousands
  • Elected as mayor an embezzling ousted president
  • Elected into the senate an ex-president who was arrested and was undergoing legal proceedings for plunder
  • Elected into the senate a jailed soldier who tried to lead a mutiny, then re-elected him again after he tried to hold a second mutiny

Arroyo was elected to Congress, not the Senate. Still, that's pretty embarrassing.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm just happy the students led the charge for today's rallies. At least Marcos’s whitewashing of history hasn't quite succeeded yet.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jumping at the chance to post a link to the awesome Pinoy Food thread over in GWS that got wikified.

Seeing how some of the classic recipes were received by non-Filipino goons warms my heart.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Filipino cuisine tends to be crazy unhealthy, but I like most of it all the same. Shrimp sinigang all day.

To quote another poster, Filipino food is the Paula Deen of Asian cuisine.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The level of indoctrination they have that allows their leaders to dictate who they will vote for en masse is creepier in my book.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So much for constitutional law.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

After that weird-as-hell session with Panelo earlier this week, I'm starting to think this whole Trillanes thing was masterminded by Calida and he persuaded Duterte to go along.

That, and Duterte looks more and more ill with every public appearance.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Midterm elections are next year, but you wouldn't know it with the way candidates are circumventing the no early campaigning rule.

I think most of the nonpartisan Filipino population is just waiting to see if Duterte kicks the bucket before Robredo can be kicked out of office for whatever reason.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 31, 2018

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Holy poo poo, Tagaytay is a tourist attraction.. I was told it was dormant. Oops.

Nah, Taal is tagged as the country's second most active volcano. It's just that it's spewed mostly just smoke in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Damage control for the senile old man's rants is a full time job.