Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
To be fair with Duterte though, his heart is in the right place and has a can-do attitude that allowed him to pull off some surprising none-drug related poo poo faster than I thought. The 911 hotline has been doing well, the Freedom of Information bill, even the MRT is back to running decently (comparable to 5 years ago) - and its barely been two months.

But the drug war and EJK is really awful. My stance on both has always been the former is a poverty issue and the latter is that it's prone to abuse (there's been a handful of cases of murderers using the cardboard strategy as a ruse to cover up their misdeeds like that poor lady who got capped at the jeep on the way to work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

"Who cares if the previous regime lowered our debt-to-GDP ratio and Global Corruption Index placement by several points? It's their job anyway! But goddamn look at my nipples harden on these new passports and nationwide hotline by my lord and savior Duterte!"

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

And to those living outside the Philippines, while the drugs situation here is "bad" (and the subsequent and ongoing drug war to boot), that doesn't mean it's Robocop 2 here. Unless you live near the slums, this whole thing will just pass you by if you don't pay attention to the news or a Filipino friend's social media profile.

I live in a city that's top 2 or 3 in the crime and drugs index and our subdivision is sandwiched on all corners by large slum communities and just a few blocks away from an intersection where guys are summarily executed while waiting for the stoplight to go green, but I've never felt the drug crisis at all.

Personally, I think the media and cops tend to exaggerate a bit - particularly with drugs. If someone does something completely bat poo poo crazy, it almost always has to do with drugs (they even blame marijuana for it) even though there isn't any proof that the suspect was a user yet. Take this case for example of a guy that ate a kid's heart . This happened a stone's throw away from our ancestral house in the province and I can confirm that at least 1 in every 5 house there has a person with some form of mental illness so it very well could possibly be that. But nope, drugs is easier to explain! And evil!

PS: I'm straightedge btw

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Duterte just showed up on TV earlier after hyping for days a "matrix" that's in his possession that conclusively links De Lima (Senator leading the investigation on EJKs) and a few officials to drugs.

The so-called "matrix" was simply a flow chart that didn't even have footnotes or credits. But somehow everyone I knew thought it was groundbreaking.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

All we need is Ice Cube and we're all set :allears:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Duterte spills secret: P50-m paid to Abu Sayyaf

quote:

Mr. Duterte was asked if he was aware of the beheading of a kidnap victim in Sulu province on Tuesday.

“If that’s the one, then I will accuse the Abu Sayyaf of acting in bad faith. They have been paid P50,000 already,” he said.

He corrected himself and said the ransom paid was P50 million.

Same as my pin number!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

drilldo squirt posted:

Is it just a poor translation or are the things Duterte says super insane?

It's actually much worse.

While his favorite curse word (and the one he used with President Obama) directly translates to "son of a bitch", it has the same impact as "motherfucker" or "oval office" in the Philippines.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

You know what sucks about being someone who staunchly opposed Duterte for many years and most especially this past elections? Having to sit at the pantry for lunch with my coworkers who simply can't resist passive-aggressively mocking me for all the wrong reasons like "I lost track of how many!" in reference to his 'accomplishments' as if those are the ones people have an issue with.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

errr

edit - We seriously need to crowd fund a Duterte Youth shirt or anything that parodies the nazi parallels the last few days. I would gleefully wear it in the office and on my daily commute.

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 25, 2016

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

How about some Bato De La Rosa news? He's as much an iconic emblem of this administration as Duterte :D

Dela Rosa wants 'Search Bloc' in PH

quote:

"You want me to confirm it? So the drug lords begin leaving this country? Go abroad. You drug lords, it's time to flee. I'll make an even stronger version of Colombia's Search Bloc."

quote:

"Their experience is the same as ours. They have a drug trafficking problem. They have a problem with the FARC rebellion. Terrorism is a problem, and so is corruption. Those are the problems they faced before they won. So we are trying to [learn from them]. They have been there, they have done that. And the Colombian government was successful," he said.

Watch out for Limon!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Errr...

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

On the subject of Marcos, my dad said earlier that the gargantuan World Bank debt during Marcos's tenure was due to the various infrastructure projects he had. Does that make sense?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. If you're willing to take me at face-value rather than a well-sourced explanation, the short answer is that Marcos regularly borrowed huge sums from the WB to fund an infrastructure project, only the cost would be padded as gently caress, and he'd pocket the difference.

And then he'd pass on the debt to the taxpayers (some of which is still being paid of even today!)

That's what I thought too, which is why I was hoping there's a source (i.e. webpage, post) that I could readily reference whenever I hear that crap.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Thanks bud!

Why can't we have points here? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

We were featured on Patriot Act. It was glorious.