Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How long until the death squads go from targeting poor users/dealers, to targeting foreign sex tourists? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is weird how Duterte alternates narratives between;

1) There are infinite murderous drug pusher/users and it is total war we will annihilate them all.
2) How dare you accuse us of killing X numbers of people extra-judiciously?

Am I correct in assuming that these are inward and outward facing narratives he is building?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:drat:

I wonder if Twitter appreciates that at some point it is going to be the star witness in a future Nuremberg trial.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The US is less interested in a foreign countries leaders democratic legitimacy, than they are with any of their own strategic interests.

Marcos was fine because their bases were there, and the country was against communism.
Noriega was fine until he suggested he would close the canal.
Dutertes will be fine until he does something that materially affects American strategic interests, and unfortunately going full Hitler towards drug users does not qualify.

Plus the Philippines just elected him and he appears to have legit 90% approval, so there isn't much for them to do anyways.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keevo posted:

Didn't he threaten to kick out the military?

He keeps that up and he will probably end up in trouble faster than anything else he is doing. (Trouble being a pretty open ended thing.)

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Calling for the murder of the democratically elected leader of any country is in really poor taste. Unless you have evidence of a joint, or can write that he definitely did have a joint on a piece of cardboard, in which case it is basically part of his election platform.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 5, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is spreading... I have a Canadian acquaintance posting pro Dutertes memes on Facebook.

He is not Filipino, and most certainly would be getting fitted for his cardboard sign if he was there. :negative:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fojar38 posted:

I know you probably didn't intend it this way but this is the exact same rhetoric you hear from PRC apologists whining that China's neighbours host US bases. "What if China hosted a base in Mexico?!?!?"

The difference, of course, being that Mexico has no interest in hosting a Chinese base and even if they did, China doesn't have the logistical capacity to support it.

If China wants to have their own version of the Monroe doctrine, they are welcome to do it. I am pretty sure I know which one external parties will believe will be enforced by military force and which will be enforced by a babies tantrum.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It probably doesn't really matter since it is current government policy to hire criminals to murder other criminals in the street. The death penalty being legal of not seems to be a weird thing to be concerned about. (Either way.)

E: imagine scare quotes around vast tracks of this post.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
First they came for the drug pushers, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a drug pusher.

Then they came for the Senator drug pushers, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Senator drug pusher.

Then they came for the Mayor drug pushers, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Mayor drug pusher.

Then they came for me—whoops I guess I was a drug pusher. Who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chird posted:

I'm not talking about the common man, as I said, "I expected more Philippines politicians and people in authority to have been more vocal against him by now." There are very few voicing dissent or calling for investigations into glaring irregularities. Either they agree with what is going on, are covering their political careers by doing nothing, are too cowardly to do anything, or are waiting for public opinion to change.

We are talking about a country where his party won a minority, and all the elected officials flocked to his party and gave him an undeserved super majority.

I think it can be all of those things.