Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spangly A posted:

Heroin and cocaine are disproportionately more dangerous to people who cannot keep up a safe and consistent supply while also eating well and still taking personal medical care. Remove malnutrition-related illnesses and super-TB from the equation and heroin comes out a safer drug than cigarettes and alcohol.

In areas where the poor do not use heroin and cocaine and make it look dirty when they die of horrific treatment resistant plague diseases it doesn't carry a social stigma. This view also extends into a historical perspective, eg. the British popularisation of Opium right up until banning it because a few chinese people and blues musicians arrived with addictions.

Opium is a little bit different from heroin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

What are the main imports and exports between the US and the Philippines? I'm trying to entertain the effectiveness of a massive embargo on the Philippines for as long as Duterte is in power, which is the economic version of Pope Francis deciding to Excommunicate the nation for the same reason.

The US sends a lot of farm equipment/generic Ag stuff, PH is mostly service stuff.

They'd probably be hurt a lot more than we would.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

seiferguy posted:

There's a bunch of call centers in the Philippines for American companies. I used to work for one. That would probably screw American companies the most, but they'd probably just move their operations to India.

A lot of coding is done there too, I actually have a friend there who codes some popular software (SAP?).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shooting Blanks posted:

SAP is a German company, not American. Off topic, but I wouldn't worry about your sister and friend retaining employment unless things really go south.

For my friend anyway they contract out with many companies at once. She was just reassigned to a popular (US) time keeping software that my company actually uses.

It's a significant chunk if nothing else.