Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

The best part of the John Oliver video is the comments

You'll also see this on every other comment section on any article criticizing Duterte. Duterte has massive approval from a lot of Filipinos, who see him as an incorruptible political outsider who has all the solutions. I can't even really talk to some of my older Filipino family members about Duterte, they hijack the conversation to talk about how safe and clean the Philippines is now (which I guess ignores all the corpses in the street).

Basically imagine if Donald Trump got elected, and explicitly told his followers that it's okay to kill certain groups of people. Also imagine those followers are armed vigilantes, and he has a 90+% approval rating.

Some Duterte quotes:

quote:

If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful.

quote:

I will recommend to Congress the restoration of death penalty by hanging in public.

quote:

I don't care about human rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I'm pretty nervous about the guy seen in "cockpit areas" (whatever that means).

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
How important is social media in the Philippines political landscape now? I've read that the Philippines is the biggest social media user per capita of any country, and I imagine social media's mob mentality tendencies will only further solidify Duterte's personality cult.

I hate that Duterte's human rights abuses are the thing that's going to put the Philippines on the map (from the World/West's perspective). The Philippines is still mostly unknown to the world, and their first introduction will be bodies in the streets and a crazed wannabe dictator.

I'm genuinely afraid at what's in store in the Philippines' future. I have relatives over there, and I'm scared for their lives if the Philippines descends into violent unrest or civil war.