Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
How strong is their case against de Lima anyway? Last I heard anything about that, they were trying to play the morality police and slut-shame her for alleged infidelity.

Also making the rounds are people blaming the international media for "destabilizing the country". Yea sure, blame the international media for the trouble in the glorious Democratic People's Republic of the Philippines. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
This is especially chilling given that the Philippines has one of the most dangerous countries for journalists for quite a while now. It's not uncommon to hear of a journalist gunned down outside their home after criticizing a local politician.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, let's not forget that this is Manny "gays are worse than animals" Pacquiao here.

It's just that as a Congressman, he had an attendance record worse than Marco Rubio (HEYO!) so I thought he was going to mostly be an empty suit, and not "I'll file a bill for the reimplementation of the death penalty and let myself be used as the admin's attack dog"

I'm pretty sure he lobbied hard against the Reproductive Health bill too; I remember a quote about making his wife stop taking birth control pills. Dude is apparently generous to a fault but he's pretty much a worse religious zealot than Ted Cruz.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Curious to know, what is it actually like in the Philippines with all this going on? I'm flying in for a holiday tomorrow visiting Boracay, Manila and north Luzon, maybe Bohol and then Palawan - how cautious do I need to be here?

Obviously i won't be having any political discussions with locals, but is there anything I should be aware of? It's hard to find decent up to date info on the situation.

And one last question - is pseudo ephedrine something that can get me in trouble? I've got a sleeve of cold & flu tablets containing it...

You should be fine as far as I know, just bring bug spray because sand flies suck. I sure hope you're going to El Nido because that place is seriously amazing.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Imperial Japan would have invaded anyway given our strategic position back then.

Du30's apparently sky-high approval ratings are causing me to lose what little faith I had left in the Filipino people.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Welp, I-130 time. drat applications are so expensive.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can't dig up the source right now, but I believe there was one poll that showed that Fil-Americans are the group that has the largest percentage of Trump supporters across all Asian-American ethnicities.

On the one hand, all of the Asian-American groups are majority breaking for Clinton, but on the other hand I don't know how much of that is about Trump being an exceptionally bad candidate, since polling in prior election cycles does reflect that Fil-Ams trend heavily Republican.

I think it has to do with how much Fil-Am immigrants are from the middle and upper-class, so there's a strong FYGM mentality at work.

I feel a lot of this has to do with the special brand of crazy Catholicism we have at home as well as our colonial mentality and obsession with being and acting white as hell.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
gently caress, gently caress, gently caress, putanginang punyetang mga tanga!

Yeah, me and my (also Filipina) wife just got married in the US and we're pretty scared. Hopefully this won't embolden all those racists?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
My parents just told me that they're ok with me not going through with the green card application with an orange rapist presidency. At least that's $800 we don't have to spend. :negative:

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

A thought experiment: if Trump were to act the same way, do you think he'd lose all his supporters? I'm betting "not even close."

Humans are a bloodthirsty species. Once we've identified a suitable "other", just wait...

Add my faith in humanity to 2016's kill list.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

I can confirm this after ruining a good date by criticizing Duterte.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there. I have had friendly arguments with fellow Filipinos in the US who supported him during the campaign due to his anti-"imperial Manila" stance but we just don't talk politics anymore because I'm pretty sure he feels terrible about the goings-on back at home.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

Cool congress just voted 119-32 in favor of cutting the 2018 budget of the Commission on Human Rights to 1000 PhP. That's roughly 20 USD, which means my forums account is literally worth more than the whole CHR.

What the loving gently caress, our lawmakers really need to be first on the chopping block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Re: biomass erosion, there might be some good news there. When I was in Palawan I visited a friend who was working on expanding mangrove forests which appear to be a good protector against wave damage and soil loss, and they love growing in the Philippines for some reason.

As an aside Palawan is incredible, and if I went back I'd try to go there directly and avoid Manila completely.

This is the advice I give most people, avoid Manila like the plague and fly anywhere else.