Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

ihatepants posted:

So after Obama's speech at the ASEAN Summit talking about human rights, Duterte decided to not follow his prepared speech and instead started a rant about US military killing Filipinos during the Philippine American war during the late 1800s and early 1900s, where he showed photographs of Filipinos who were killed by American soldiers.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/09/08/16/duterte-shocks-summit-meeting-with-tirade-vs-us

Between this and the whole cancelled meeting thing, I'm excited to read news coming out of the Philippines for the next six years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I'm surprised a politician hasn't said, "Hey for a guy so against drugs you sure sound like you're on them."

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

The US is less interested in a foreign countries leaders democratic legitimacy, than they are with any of their own strategic interests.

Marcos was fine because their bases were there, and the country was against communism.
Noriega was fine until he suggested he would close the canal.
Dutertes will be fine until he does something that materially affects American strategic interests, and unfortunately going full Hitler towards drug users does not qualify.

Plus the Philippines just elected him and he appears to have legit 90% approval, so there isn't much for them to do anyways.

Didn't he threaten to kick out the military?

edit: I think it might be time for a LOLDuterte page.

keevo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 30, 2016

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Grouchio posted:

What are the main imports and exports between the US and the Philippines? I'm trying to entertain the effectiveness of a massive embargo on the Philippines for as long as Duterte is in power, which is the economic version of Pope Francis deciding to Excommunicate the nation for the same reason.

House maids

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

And nurses

blackguy32 posted:

We have a ton of Filipino nurses, and they almost always work the night shift.

Ooh can't forget how many of them are in the US Navy. I can't keep track of how many uncles I have that served in the Navy.