Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Only Filipinos are now allowed to talk poo poo about the Philippines, mabuhay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Argue posted:

I'm not very up to date on that, but marijuana is illegal, and consider that--if I'm recalling correctly--even morning-after pills are technically illegal drugs, although that's for different reasons. :v:

I'm actually doing some legal research on the Bureau of Customs right now, and according to the recently revamped tariff code (and also the older customs code of 1978 since the specific part is unchanged), materials and paraphernalia intended for and/or supports and advertises abortion is illegal contraband. I imagine morning-after pills get shuffled into that category.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ihatepants posted:

To add to this, my wife's classmate from high school and her classmate's boyfriend were caught in the past couple of weeks with a lot of E and they found lots of paraphernalia and a money counter machine in their apartment, suggesting that they were dealing. They haven't been executed (yet) and it looks like they'll go through the regular justice system instead because they're from well off families.

drat, she was that DJ, wasn't she?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Reset the clock, because the President just had another hot take.

Duterte: Drug war's death toll just like Clint Eastwood, Liam Neeson films

This is some real "makes u think huh" poo poo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nyarai posted:

He's 71.

Also, Duterte's nickname is Digong. Can anyone explain why? Google's been no help.

Probably just a Filipino thing. "Benigno" became "Noynoy", after all.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tarantula posted:

And here we go again.

"Duterte to US forces: Get out of southern Philippines
Days after saying he was "not a fan of the Americans", the president says he wants to "reorient" foreign policy with US."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/duterte-forces-southern-philippines-160913003704576.html

And the Secretary of Foreign Affair's explanation: https://twitter.com/ANCALERTS/status/775489322883481600

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ersatz posted:

I don't believe it either, but I'm sure that China would be more than happy to sell weapons, and a lot more, in exchange for Filipino recognition of the "nine dash line." It's hard to overstate the importance of that particular territorial dispute to China.

True, but I doubt even Duterte would be dumb enough to agree to that considering how big of an issue the Spratlys is to the public, not to mention Bajo de Masinloc/Scarborough Shoal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Did we just appoint an Asian neo-Nazi (http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/chappelles-show/videos/frontline-clayton-bigsby-pt-1-uncensored) as our ambassador to the United Nations?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
TBF my internet service has been pretty drat good (at least for my needs) ever since PLDT and Globe stepped up their game earlier this year.

Granted, it was because they had to blow out Telstra's attempted entry into the country through a joint venture with San Miguel, which was also facilitated through some ruthless politicking through government agencies and still leaves the duopoly with a tight grip on the local market, which means the service could go to poo poo again if they wanted to cut corners and enjoy one of the most insane returns on investment for telecoms around the globe.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Argue posted:

"I will tell them, ‘gently caress you.’"
Facebook: "Oh, he's not saying gently caress you, he's only _threatening_ to say gently caress you."
"I repeat it, ‘gently caress you,’"
Facebook: "Well come on you gotta look at the context here."

"He said "gently caress you", but like, gently, like a lover."

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Someone should introduce the President to smartphones and the Twitter app :allears:

Teddy Boy's got that poo poo covered.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Malls are where people converge after a typhoon knocks out power for days on end.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The influence of conservative Catholicism is still very potent in Philippine society. When one of the country's most prominent universities (which is both Catholic and the premier school for medical training) has blatantly spread misinformation on reproductive health practices per the testimony of one of the posters here and has actively campaigned against said bill when it was a major issue in the news, all bets are off when it comes to even starting a dialogue on the subject matter.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It'd be the sweetest thing to have China give Duterte the cold shoulder in Beijing this month because they also don't want to antagonize the US, political rivalry be damned. That probably won't happen, though it's nice to imagine Duterte's breakdown then.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The man is scum, but as much as I would like to see him get what's coming to him in the near future, I think it's more important for Filipinos to realize just what they have done by electing the man in the first place. I believe in the democratic process, and in both the good and evil inherent in it; going for the "easy" way out through killing the man undermines the lesson we ought to learn from voting strongarm populists into power, a lesson we clearly haven't learned well enough considering it's only been three decades since the last one.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ironically, Senator Trillanes, one of Duterte's most vocal opponents outside of De Lima, also had his own controversy re: China during Aquino's term when he was accused of engaging in backdoor negotiations with the Chinese.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
"We're totally a legit media outlet. Yes, all our articles involve the President doing great things and terrible vengeance falling upon his enemies."

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Shoot the typhoon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They're gonna have their work spinning this cut out for them, because videos of the event aren't leaving a lot to the imagination.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mulva posted:

How is everyone in the Philippines reacting to the fact Glorious Leader just sold out the country for nothing?

It's either horrified at the sheer stupidity of it all or too enamored at the 9B USD to notice that it's a loan.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Argue posted:

Let's sell our product by capitalizing on the extrajudicial killing craze

what the gently caress

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

To be fair, the US did kill a lot of Filipinos in the Philippine-American War. The Colt M1911 was literally developed to fight Moro guerillas with its stopping power.

I'm somewhat flattered whenever I'm reminded that Filipino Moros were so badass that the American government specifically commissioned a bullet caliber that can kill them reliably.

The logic doesn't follow anyway. If Duterte was consistent with his ultra-nationalist bullshit, he would've refused to go to Japan at all.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo's going to go down this month, I can feel it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Humanity really getting that hat trick for this year in, huh?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not gonna lie, looking forward to the first meeting between the two.

Apologies in advance to the Philippines if it leads to us bombing you.

try and catch quezon city in the blast radius if you can, so i can move on to the next world

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Last thought for the night: I didn't experience or see nearly as much recrimination over Roxas's, or even Poe's loss to Duterte, as I see now over "the failure of the Democrats"

I suppose it's because Trump was predicted to be a sure failure, while Duterte had a clear lead in the polls leading up to the main event.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Someone posted a thing re: Duterte's decision to not re--open the Bataan Nuclear Plant a few pages ago. Well, I got some news for you: http://business.inquirer.net/218869/energy-chief-gets-dutertes-green-light-for-1-b-nuke-plant-rehab

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well gents/ladies, if the outrage reaches a fever pitch and Duterte cracks down on this likely November 30 mass protest with Martial Law 2.0, it's been nice knowing you.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, Philippine social media is insanely fired up right now. Admin supporters seem to be getting more desperate with their bullshit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I kinda wish Teddy would've left us alone and picked another nation to use as his American colonial experiment, but here we are.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Argue posted:

I'll take Tone Deaf for $200, Alex.

(They are counterprotesting at today's anti-Marcos rallies)

You just know Duterte's media team is going to paint these idiots as the Magnificent Ten for standing up to the yellow hordes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Seriously, it's November and still hot as gently caress outside.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gentlemen, rejoice! For we are first in line for Trump's fantastic array of conflicts of interest!

http://europe.newsweek.com/donald-trump-foreign-business-deals-jeopardize-us-531140?rm=eu

seriously though goddammit americans can't you get your poo poo together even when you're loving up in the global hegemony game you're still loving us third-worlders at the same time

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Interestingly enough, the 2016 Philippine election had a pretty good turnout at 80%~. Certainly much more active than the decline of the US electorate during their past few cycles.

Sometimes Filipinos just do dumb poo poo. Sorry, kababayan.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been applying to government jobs ever since my contract with another government agency expired six months ago, but apart from Philippine bureaucracy moving as quickly as a crippled snail at best, there's the whole "rear end in a top hat is about to declare martial law any second now" aspect to it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
At least Spicer's just a mouthpiece for Trump. Andanar directly contradicts whatever the hell Duterte says for "plausible deniability".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Filipino cuisine tends to be crazy unhealthy, but I like most of it all the same. Shrimp sinigang all day.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm getting hot takes from people getting all defensive that the decadent Westerners just don't understand how it works here, and it's pissing me off. Pulido was treated like a slave, plain and simple, but some people are interpreting the criticism as an attack on how their parents/relatives worked their asses off as servants for a pittance to raise their families. Talk about missing the loving point, Christ.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MrNemo posted:

Interesting to see the Philippines has replaced Communist insurgency with drug fiends.

Yeah but there totally still are Communist insurgents here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Between reports from the DND saying they had Marawi on lockdown and not recommending martial law, Duterte pushing through anyway, and now this recent gently caress-up, I'm very concerned with what's happening in the AFP right now. I can totally see Duterte pushing for a purge of the officer ranks due to the Mindanao push going poorly to try and get more loyalists in for a nationwide ML declaration, and poo poo's really going to pop off.