Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Does the PLA Navy have dirt on this guy? Why the hell would he pivot to a country with whom he has a huge territorial dispute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Argue posted:

I don't know why it's only being reported on now (okay, it's probably because Duterte overshadowed everything), but in other news, the reproductive health bill, which was the subject of much controversy (from conservatives, of course), and which was passed last year, is still nowhere near implementation. We've had a long and sordid history with reproductive health--this bill, in its original form, is older than many of the constituents that it aimed to help. After much handwringing, the bill was finally approved last year--and almost immediately put on hold by the Supreme Court until they can verify that it's safe... or moral, or whatever. So in practice, we're essentially back to square one on reproductive health.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/815108/sc-puts-rh-law-on-hold

Part of the bill was to provide easier access to contraceptives for those who couldn't afford it, but this was seen as contributing to a "contraceptive mentality", a very vaguely defined notion of immorality that enables promiscuity and promotes a "culture of death", so now the onus is on them that these will not allow someone to easily terminate a pregnancy after the moment of conception.

I probably have a bunch of posts about this whole business in the SE Asia thread. And believe me, we need contraceptives (and good sex ed, which the bill also favors) really badly.

The Catholic Church: holding back the advancement of humanity since 312 AD.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It largely depends on who's still willing to trade with them. China probably would and even start supplying weapons to sweeten the deal if it meant widening its sphere of influence against Japan and the US. If Duerte insults China and the Chinese as well, it might be a much bigger problem for the Philippines.

Watch him call Xi a pussy coward when China won't publically support Duterte's killing spree (even China has been trying to decrease the number of death sentences handed out by its courts lately).

Also, I recently spoke (in a group) with a very good friend about Duterte. He's not Filipino; he's Taiwanese, lived in the Philippines during middle and high school (ISM, of course) due to expat parents, and came to the US for college and stayed. So he doesn't have any of the "Pinoy Pride" thing going on.

But he still expressed a lot of support for Duterte. How he's going to give Duterte a chance because Duterte did such a good job in Davao City, and how drugs/crime is a serious problem in the Philippines, and how they really need someone strong to clean things up.

When others in the group expressed their dismay about the extra-judicial killings and asked him what's going to keep Duterte under control, he said that Duterte will care about his legacy and how he'll be remembered by the Filipino people, and that's good enough to keep him in check.

It was really surprising to hear this from this particular guy because he's otherwise quite open-minded and he's not even Filipino.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

The people of the Philippines must be thrilled that Duterte is openly admitting that he intends to become a Chinese vassal.

Even if Duterte is serious about it (and he isn't, this is just to gain leverage against the US), I doubt China would want to or is able to give enough of anything of note to the Philippines.

China already has an annoying, expensive-to-handle vassal led by a madman and it sure isn't looking to get another.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

It'd be the sweetest thing to have China give Duterte the cold shoulder in Beijing this month because they also don't want to antagonize the US, political rivalry be damned. That probably won't happen, though it's nice to imagine Duterte's breakdown then.

This will only happen if Duterte insults Xi and all his ancestors within the week. Which, with this guy, is a distinct possibility.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bring this up because let's go back to this round-up of campaign contributions to Duterte's campaign:

This is relevant because of the business that the Floirendo family is involved in: Floirendo: I gave P75M to Duterte campaign out of brotherly love

Antonio Floirendo Sr., 'banana king' and Mindanao frontiersman, dies at 96

And yes, this is a little "follow the money" conspiratorial-ish, but I found the connection interesting.

Not the first and probably not the last time bananas have caused international conflicts.

edit: I want to make it clear--I'm not endorsing Duterte nor trying to defend China's opportunism by equating it with non-relevant, long-past US actions. My only point is that bananas, uniquely among fruits, seem to be capable of creating international problems.

sincx fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 8, 2016

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Holy poo poo. The mad man actually did it. How many sharks are there in the SCS and how many did Duterte jump over?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

It's either horrified at the sheer stupidity of it all or too enamored at the 9B USD to notice that it's a loan.

It all depends on this: just how soft are these soft loans?

A loan at 0% interest is bascially a gift since you can pay it whenever and wait for inflation to reduce the real value of the loan.

A loan at an interest rate lower than what the Philippines has to pay in the bond market is a gift of the difference in interest payments.

So how much Duterte actually got for selling out his country depends entirely on the terms of these loan agreements, which I suspect won't be made public for a long time.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty sure he's a failed Trump clone.
Unlike Trump, he contained his crazy long enough to actually get elected.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Have these Chinese soft loans' terms been released yet?

(They probably will never be released. Just thought I'd ask.)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

quote:

Apparently playing down the effect of the cancelation of the MCC funding, Mr. Duterte claimed China had made available “50 billion” in financial aid, but did not elaborate.

Duterte:china::Trump:Russia

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Imagine if 95% of the US is white, and Trump just said the remaining 5% are all criminals and should be killed.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Well, at least that helps to offset all the people murdered through his drug war!

Duterte is still horrible, but if his public smoking ban holds up, it will make up his extrajudicial killings 100-fold in the form of extended lifespans.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Duterte has beaten "grab them by the pussy":

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-duterte-female-rebels-20180212-story.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Duterte:china::Trump:Russia

It really is uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Lol Duterte has cancer and went to HK for treatment

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/2167054/philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte-hints-health-problems

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/2167309/philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte-visits-hong-kong-weekend-getaway