Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how and/or why the Philippines has now fallen twice to dictatorship and political instability despite having once been under America's wing. Wouldn't the US be more interested in looking out after the well-being of it's former, relatively well-treated colony?

I apologize in advance if I already asked this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CronoGamer posted:

He said that U.S. advisers stationed in Mindanao (the southern island with the different insurgent groups) should leave... even though there are only about 200 of them at most and they don't really leave the base, just assist the Armed Forces Philippines with surveillance and reconnaissance.

Forcing the US advisers to leave would be a stupid move that hampers the AFP's ability to gather information on groups they're fighting, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

If he cancels the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement or (even worse) the Visiting Forces Agreement, though, I think he will end up in trouble-- but not with the United States, with his own military. They're already baffled and unhappy with some of his latest pronouncements about canceling joint exercises and patrols to placate China, if he kicks the US out altogether they will be really upset.
I call upon the Ghost of Field Marshal Douglas Macarthur to give these seasoned men the balls to do something right...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

It's not the 50s anymore, get over it.
That's adorable.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I feel like I could use a lecture on Philippine society, culture, media and so on.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Argue posted:

Philippine society, culture, and media are all cool and good and magnificant and amazing and if anyone says otherwise we will shoot them or get them literally banned from the country; is there anything else you wanted to know specifically?
:colbert:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Luzon's expecting to get an even more powerful version of Haiyan on Tuesday/Wednesday. Have there been proper evacuations? How would a president like Duterte respond?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How would Hilary Clinton handle Duterte as President?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Brannock posted:

"Can't we just drone this guy?"
That's exactly what I'd wonder.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are the main imports and exports between the US and the Philippines? I'm trying to entertain the effectiveness of a massive embargo on the Philippines for as long as Duterte is in power, which is the economic version of Pope Francis deciding to Excommunicate the nation for the same reason.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

computer parts posted:

The US sends a lot of farm equipment/generic Ag stuff, PH is mostly service stuff.

They'd probably be hurt a lot more than we would.
Excellent. Hopefully the Clinton Administration will respond in this manner after Duterte calls Hilary a oval office on national television, just like how I lust for a full Oil Embargo on Nigeria.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Artificer posted:

Holy gently caress. My God it really is the Filipino Trump.
Has Hilary Clinton mentioned any plans for the Philippines in her policies? War is sounding to start like the lesser of two evils here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BarbarianElephant posted:

The USA can't declare war on every lovely country in the world. If you haven't noticed, it rarely improves things. It's cold comfort to be killed by America's Nobly Aimed drones vs Duterte's death squads.
I am perfectly well aware of that and I wish I made it clearer that I phrased that question as wish fulfillment. Any sense of karmic retribution on Duterte at this point would be very welcome to both my person and (certainly) to many in the Philippines.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ihatepants posted:

Is that place normally accessible to the public? Like I am sure that it's going to be a very popular place for vandalism.
Lines and lines of people willing to piss on Marcos' grave. :allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wasn't he in charge of a district with a huge drug problem before?
Yep. Davao City in Mindanao to be exact. And speaking of which, does Duterte have a vendetta against Muslims and/or insurgents in Mindanao/Sulu?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWDAw2nsIjw

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So one thing I want to know is what happens to the Philippines and Duterte once China's economy implodes?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Duterte has admitted to personally executing drug suspects.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Prism posted:

Does this mean he's a drug abuser and should, by his own metrics, shoot himself now?
The perfect way to end Duterte would be to somehow inject him with Krokodil, and watch as his skin slowly melts away. :kheldragar:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 30, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the impression I'm getting from these posts is that the average Filipino voter has about as much political awareness as a medieval peasant from Witcher 3, right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Oh they like everyone outside North Korea has plenty of political awareness. The problem is in a lack of understanding to critically process the information they're made aware of. What you get is emotional thrashing driven by news sensationalism and a belief that your country is basically inhabited by Literally A Trillion meth addicts and the only solution is to just kill everyone and let god sort it all out because at least some action will have taken place.

A similar phenomenon is happening in the US with nominally rural inhabitants who aren't actually rural but are able to do all their daily errands without ever leaving their neighborhood. They gravitate towards sensational news about crime in the city and over time they start believing that every urban area is basically Aleppo and nobody cares about what it does for their property values and the only way to fix it is to burn the cities to the ground and build over the ashes with Shoppes at Legacy Towne Centre or whatever hog farms get named these days.

They aren't bright enough to actually process that poo poo and fall into a world where cities are war zones, your waiter is secretly Heisenberg, and capital punishment should be the minimum.
So how do we deal with such peons?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pilsner posted:

What do you mean by "we" and "deal"? As in, you want to be able to convince Duterte fans they're wrong? Good luck.

I don't say Filipinos are dumb, but undereducated and perhaps a bit too trusting and naive in general, and even though they've had internet for a while, I guess you could draw a parallel to your "granma on the internet", who forwards and believes all kinds of poo poo they read with little criticism. Many people will paraphrase literally anything because they read it on a completely random, utterly uncertified and unverified Facebook link. It doesn't really defy belief to me, since I'm getting used to it, but that's how it is. Not much different from the rest of the world, is it these days?

I also think some of Duterte's sustained popularity is due to the "gently caress poo poo up" factor, where he just goes against the norm on many issues and makes his voice heard, and makes it sound like he's king poo poo of the world, Pinoy Pride and all that. It's like Trump's campaign where you'd hear fans say they just want someone to storm in and rip Washington apart, with little thinking ahead.

I also have no doubt that the absurd war of drugs he's running is fueled by massive media propaganda, leading people to believe drug users are "raping kids" and causing everything bad in society. It can be really easy to influence people if you have the media in on the ride, and enough gullible people.
And that is why Genocide will always continue to occur in the future, no matter how many people strive to see it prevented.

Oh and BTW, how much of the Filipino market is dependent on Chinese exports?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The only thing that will save the Philippines, I'm guessing, at this point, is if Trump starts his trade war with China and everything around Duterte collapses in it's wake.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Argue posted:

https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/848863087255932929

PYF highlights from this speech he gave to children:

(translated)
1. "They say I kill people. Well I really do kill people if they mess with our kids."
2. [jokingly, to the kids] "Let me tell you about drug addicts--are any of you drug addicts?"
3. "Avoid the streets. Wear cologne in your house. Because if I catch you [making trouble], I'm going to throw you into the bay."
4. The part after the speech where two kids excitedly say to each other: "I'm going to become a soldier and kill rebels!" "I'm going to kill drug pushers!"
How do you spell Hitler Youth in Tagalog?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What kinds of cuisine do you guys have? It's somehow unfair that we have only Thai restaurants everywhere and not other Southeast Asian diners. Especially since the US owned the Philippines for 40 years so you'd think that their cuisine would transfer over here. :psyduck:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Random thought: Can other countries recommend better flags for other countries ala referendums? Because Thailand and Indonesia's flags look like poo poo.

Indonesia could use:

OR

And Thailand could use:

OR

OR

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why are most Filipino naming standards still Spanish?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Argue posted:

Nah we're all good here. Anything you've heard to the contrary in this thread is yellow propaganda that the Aquinos paid Lowtax to promote, the same way they've been paying off the UN as well as every foreign publication.
Why are the Philippines so susceptible to dictatorships anyways? (like, I dunno, most of Latin America?)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Explosions and gunfire have been heard around a resort hotel in Manila.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ihatepants posted:

Looks like Duterte has his "Plaza Miranda" and subsequent justification for martial law throughout the country.
If it wasn't in fact a terrorist attack that he did not in fact precipitate. Oh who am I kidding.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how many decades of infrastructural, economic and/or social buildup will be necessary for the Philippines to stop being a dictator-magnet.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how that went. Specifically if they got into a brawl.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

He should've rapped the Judge Dredd theme in Tagalog.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Duterte admits he is a Dictator.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would take out Duterte at this point?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Duterte proclaimed that 'God is Stupid'.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjO1bMHbDpY&t=21s

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Duterte is dying two years in? AWESOME.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

chird posted:

Must be exhausting and maddening. With everything that has happened, Pulse Asia's September poll still has Duterte at a massive 75% approval and 72% 'big trust'. Only 10% of people disapprove. :shepface:
This is your brain on Third-World 'we love strongman schlong'.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's been really quiet these past few months, or have I missed something?

Doesn't Duterte have cancer now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Our former US territory, everyone.