Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

So in the hypothetical that after the people eventually rise up and depose or otherwise shake off Duterte after months of killings and international condemnation, will Pinoy Pride fall by the wayside and be supplanted by Pinoy Penitence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

<removed>

Navaash fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 13, 2018

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Duterte is quitting (or at least claiming to).

The Washington posted:

Addressing the public, Duterte cited a recent survey that found most Filipinos believed Duterte running for vice president would be unconstitutional. “So in obedience to the will of the people who after all placed me in the presidency many years ago, I now say to my countrymen: I will follow what you want, and today I announce my retirement from politics,” he said.

Duterte, a tough-talking populist who is most known for a drug war that has left thousands dead, has previously claimed he would retire from politics before. He made a similar pronouncement just before running for the presidency, which he won in 2016.

(...)

Other commentators also expect a possible partnership with Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., the son of a late dictator of the same name. The Marcos family, which ruled for two decades in a period riddled with corruption and human rights abuses, have stayed active in local politics. Experts and historians say their continued pursuit of public office, as well as disinformation campaigns on social media, are attempts to rehabilitate their family image.

Political analyst Antonio La Viña warned that a Marcos-Duterte win could signal a new “dark age,” with continued human rights abuses and elite political dynasties further consolidating power. “It will last not just for six years or 12 years but more — because there are so many Marcoses and Dutertes in the wings,” said La Viña. “Because many of the Philippines’ cities and towns are ruled by families, it will just be [like] Game of Thrones.”

One would hope the Filipino diaspora would not fall for this, but then again, they elected Duterte in the first place :shrug:

Navaash fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 2, 2021