Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
If the Catholic Church starts objecting to human rights abuses, would that carry much weight in the Philippines these days? And are the local and national Church leaders inclined to do something like that or are they tied up too closely with the political establishment favoring President Duterte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
So, I wonder if Matobato is going to commit suicide, be found with one of those "I am a drug dealer" signs, or is going to just plain disappear.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Silly me, I didn't think they were far enough along in their takeover to pin a "I am a drug dealer" sign on Senator De Lima. Welp.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Schubalts posted:

This really does reek of extreme, bloodthirsty McCarthyism.

Someday the US will have to get around to exporting the good parts of democracy. I mean, I don't want it to be all about us, but drat. A former occupied territory casually refers to one of our most tragic fuckups. One that happened years after independence (depending on how you measure that kind of thing.) We must have really hosed you over or something. Oh well. At least we aren't backing this dictator. Just handing him an easy rationalization.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

CommieGIR posted:

All signs point to him threatening to rip the treaties up. Sure, he'll have to find a way to push US bases out, but he's basically done everything else no one could have foreseen, why not that?

The US has plenty of nearby options for drama free bases. I'm sure Indonesia would be more than happy to host any US forces the Philippines did up til now. Hell, if the US wants to sweeten it enough, Vietnam would be up for that.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

ocrumsprug posted:

If China wants to have their own version of the Monroe doctrine,

This is exactly what China is up to. It is also why Vietnam is more likely to welcome the US military than the Chinese military. That's not going to happen. But the fact that it's plausible is hilarious.

Vietnam distances itself from China because they don't want to be treated as a colony.

The Philippine-US relationship has (had?) some tension from the past colonial status. The Philippines never fully distanced themselves for several reasons, some bad, many good. But it has been a slow process meant to cause minimal disruption.

But yeah. If Vietnam and the Philippines swap which superpower backs them in an attempt to get more baggage free relationship, I know who's coming out ahead in that deal. Again, not happening, but hilarious how it would work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

fishmech posted:

China is not a superpower.

Fine.

If Vietnam and the Philippines swap which imperialist hegemony backs them (while keeping in mind that China would stongly object to that description as their entire political and cultural system is a revolution against imperialist hegemony) in an attempt to get more baggage free relationship, I know who's coming out ahead in that deal. Again, not happening, but hilarious how it would work out.