Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

"[It's because America poured in billions] because they were flooding America with ... All the supplies of cocaine and heroin came from that country. [What help has America ever given here] except to recommend for my prosecution in the International Court of Justice, International Criminal Court?" he added.

Well, good thing the Philippines doesn't also have a larger, wealthier neighbor to the north that is contributing seriously to its drug problem, otherwise Gaviria might have a point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Fojar38 posted:

Apparently Trump wants to do a bunch of bilateral trade deals in the region anyway so in the long run the demise of the TPP might not mean all that much.

Still a huge blow to US credibility in the region, and if RCEP becomes prettiest belle at the ball now with TPP out, it grants China better position to exert economic leverage in the region. it was only ever half about the trade benefits to the US.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
edit: I just read the Rappler link and it explains basically the same thing so I'm cutting this.

But yes that is awesome. No self-awareness at all.

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 7, 2017

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Argue posted:

If what you edited out is an explanation that Filipinos have a history of complaining about this, then may I direct you to this site, whose data I populated: https://torchapps.github.io/butthurt/ (it was originally just a gist on Github)

No it was just the official statement from the PH embassy in DC (which the rappler article basically quotes in its entirety) but holy poo poo that site. I love it and can't wait to send to my Fil-Am friends

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Saw that a few minutes ago but I'm puzzled. Is the CA really only just now getting around to confirmation hearings on Cabinet officials who began on June 30? What the hell is the point of that? Yasay was going to probably be bounced in a few months anyway once Cayetano is eligible (if that's still the plan) so why even bother 3/4 through his appointment?

edit- oh wow I didn't realize he gets stripped of the position on the spot. Lmao.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Ytlaya posted:

Is Pinoy cuisine particularly meat heavy, or did you just happen to list a bunch of (incredibly delicious looking) meat-based dishes?

It's all fried meat and it's terrible. Everything is just shades of brown and you feel like you need to shower after most meals

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Cannot believe this Aguirre texting scandal. I'm absolutely dumbfounded by how bumbling some of these guys can be and still get away with it, it's honestly amazing.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I haven't been able to track things closely lately. How did GMA end up House Speaker? I knew she was a close friend of the Malacaņang so it's not wholly a surprise but how does this happen? What's the process? Any thought on what this will mean going forward?

Also saw the headlines about Leni taking up the banner to be a uniting figure for the opposition. Kinda reminded me of Binay increasingly vilifying Aquino halfway through his term and getting stripped from his positions, except like, with a person who isn't wholly corrupt and laughably bad.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

gradenko_2000 posted:

In this case, it's kind of the other way around - Robredo would probably have been willing to play ball with the administration the whole way through (because liberals are too decorous to call out Duterte's fascism), but Duterte fired her, and has been constantly escalating attacks on her as red meat for the base.

Right, that is mostly what I was getting at with saying this is how it happens to someone who isn't so corrupt, but yeah-- honestly, with the way he talked about her at meetings, sounds like she dodged a bullet getting booted so early.

Thank you for the Alvarez/GMA stuff, cleared it up immensely. I'd heard a little of the Sara Duterte rift but not the rest, gotta read up on those.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I follow a terrorism analyst on twitter who somehow follows/reposts pics from a bunch of Abu Sayyaf and Maute recruits on WhatsApp or WeChat or whatever and it's partly hilarious and partly really sad. In some ways they're just such typical SE Asian teens/20-somethings, dopey filters on their selfies, cheesy lyrics slapped on top of them, etc., but then the next post is lamenting the death of one of their friends who died in a firefight with the AFP or they've got scarves on their faces and bolos out and they're shouting in front of black banners. Social media and extremist groups is just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Not the alliance, the visiting forces agreement. A substantial piece of the alliance for sure, but the VFA is an executive agreement, vice the mutual defense treaty, which is a treaty and I *think* would require Congressional approval to withdraw from.

Also, it's unclear whether they actually have withdrawn from the VFA. Defense Secretary Lorenzana rebutted the remarks from Presidential spokesman Panelo so who even knows at this point. https://www.rappler.com/nation/251331-lorenzana-says-no-order-duterte-terminate-vfa-february-2020