Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Welcome to The Philippines, the Pearl of the Orient Seas! Welcome to a world where it's bright and sunny every day 6 months of the year, and as of 2016, a land where using drugs can lead to your completely deserved death at the hands of vigilantes! Let's go on a quick tour!

The Philippines is divided into three major island groups: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. In terms of international news, Luzon and Mindanao are the ones that you'll typically be hearing about.

Mindanao, to the south, is home to all the rebel forces you keep hearing about. Yes, it's actually relatively safe in Luzon and Visayas in that you really don't have to worry about terrorists kidnapping, torturing, and killing you. There are actually two different rebel groups down there: the New People's Army--a communist insurgency--and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front--Islamic separatists who are seeking autonomy. And yes, we have heard your joke about the MILF before and I can assure you it is very funny every time we hear it.

Luzon, to the north, is home to our most populous region, Metro Manila (also known as the National Capital Region), which is where all the action is. This region, while also known as simply Manila, is not to be confused with Manila, our capital city, which is itself found within Metro Manila.

Politics
It's pretty rare to see so much discussion about the Philippines outside of the Philippines, but in this topsy-turvy year of 2016, all bets are off. Sure, we can talk about some of our rich history, or our older hot-button topics like the Reproductive Health Bill, or our more colorful personalities, like comedian-turned-senator Tito Sotto, or our more famous ones, like boxer-turned-congressman-turned-boxer-turned-senator Manny Pacquiao. But let's get real, you're all here to talk about the new star of our show:

President Rodrigo Duterte

Elected into office just a scant two months ago, Duterte has wasted no time in making good on many of his promises, chief among them, the speedy execution of suspected drug lords, drug pushers, and even drug users. There are just so many layers to peel here that I don't even know where to begin, but he was notorious enough that John Oliver actually did a bit on him prior to the election, and this should serve as a rough primer.

As someone who lives in the Philippines, I can tell you that his writing team is not exaggerating any of these things in the least. It may seem baffling, but I can see why so many people support him, even if I absolutely, vehemently do not. Prior to his run, he was Mayor of Davao for many years--and for those who don't know, Davao is located in the heart of Mindanao, which, if you were paying attention, is where all the terrorists are. This helped feed into his legend greatly because Davao was actually extremely safe considering where they were, and this was all due to his iron fist, which cracked down on even the most minor offenses, such as jaywalking. Of course, even there, he'd be quite... creative, to say the least.

Aside from that, Davao is known to have the most progressive women's rights legislation in the country, which makes it all the more confusing when he openly admits to being a womanizer, or makes remarks like how he would have liked to be first in line to rape a murdered missionary. And despite his frequent use of homophobic slurs, he's the only candidate who was unambiguously in favor of gay marriage.

This all pales, of course, next to the one thing that he's reached international renown for--extrajudicial killings galore. There were a ton of these in Davao, and since his election, killings of alleged criminals have been on the rise nationwide--although his supporters will tell you that they were always this bad, and it's just that the anti-Duterte media wants to feed you a narrative that this is new. And certainly, at the moment, we can't explicitly tie him to these killings, but it's not unreasonable to investigate considering he actually ran on a platform of murder, has repeatedly endorsed vigilantes to kill suspected drug dealers, andvowed to pardon himself for mass murder. Not to mention the fact that bodies have been found whose murders were either inspired by his rhetoric, or at minimum used it as an excuse.

Where we are now

Well, it's only two months in, but one thing Duterte _has_ definitely been doing like crazy is cracking down on suspected drug lords. The best I can say about this is that at least he isn't flat out killing these people, but it's nuts that he just decided to read a list of names to the public and basically claimed "these are drug lords". He's named a ton of relatively big-name people, and has ordered them to surrender themselves or die.

Additionally, one thing fuelling his supporters is that thousands of drug users and dealers have surrendered themselves for rehabilitation. I don't have a lot more information than that, but color me skeptical on the legitimacy of any of this.

Because of all this, the senate is conducting an investigation, spearheaded by Senator Leila De Lima. Of course, his supporters are rabidly against her, calling her a "so-called human rights advocate" on account of the fact that she's investigating these killings, but she didn't investigate all the random senseless murders committed by drug users. Duterte himself is running the counteroffensive, first by discrediting her by calling her an adulteress, then by linking her to drug trade herself. I can't claim to know for sure that she's innocent, but pardon me if I find it suspect that he only showed his hand against her now, rather than during his big drug lord blowout. I mean, this is exactly the situation we were worried about--under his administration, you can get rid of your enemies simply by naming them as being involved in drugs.

Filipinos

That's how it's spelled. Please stop spelling it Philippinos, or some other variant thereof.

Lastly, and most importantly

Don't say anything bad about the Philippines or Filipinos! If you are a foreigner you are only allowed to compliment us and talk about how great we are! If you don't follow this instruction, you will be faced with the wrath of the Philippine Defense Squad. (full disclosure: this page was made by a friend, and the data was almost entirely populated by me)

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That problem was exacerbated with Duterte, but mobbing naysayers from other countries is also practically a Philippine tradition, from banning Claire Danes from the country for saying that she didn't enjoy her stay here, to having rallies to save Filipinos who are facing the death sentence abroad (usually for drug smuggling, and usually culminating in the president or some high-ranking official making a visit to the country to petition them). That list I linked at the end of the OP is a pretty comprehensive compilation of these things.

Conversely, Filipinos are also first to the party when someone even vaguely implies Filipino involvement in something:

Getting back to Filipinos rallying behind Filipinos, I wonder how many of the people who lobbied for the lives of drug mules are pro-Duterte. One said drug mule was expatriated back to the Philippines, and rather than anyone investigating her, she used her new fame to launch a (poor) career as a singer, so the mindset of the country really sends me mixed messages.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Edit: this was in response to Disharmony, not the tax cuts

Yeah, like I said in another thread, Duterte's got the most stances and projects I agree with among any candidates. But none of it, I would say, is worth this whole drug war and the EJKs (how ridiculous is it that "EJK" is even an acronym we need to be using now?).

Are there a lot of historical instances of despots actually doing a lot of progressive things amidst their horrors? Off hand, I was thinking it's similar to the Shah of Iran's westernization push, even though he was pretty much the opposite of the demagogue that Duterte is.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm not very up to date on that, but marijuana is illegal, and consider that--if I'm recalling correctly--even morning-after pills are technically illegal drugs, although that's for different reasons. :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yep. That was a big talking point during the RH debates, arguing about whether or not the morning-after pill has abortifacient properties. I think they may have even tacked on an amendment onto the RH bill to make sure they didn't accidentally legalize it.

Edit: vvvvv Honestly, if you're middle class or above, aside from 911 now working (and laughably conflicting with Pizza Hut's delivery hotline), you'll never feel a difference in terms of safety. This whole thing is a big check-your-privilege reality check for me, and I'm annoyed that a lot of my middle-class Duterte-supporting friends don't.

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 25, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I can't believe this isn't a scene from a movie where the main character is connecting strings on a corkboard and it's ridiculous that people think this qualifies as evidence or even slightly damning

also lol "matrix" perhaps he meant an adjacency matrix?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This should be a movie.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37172002

The most incredible part to me is how much a hit costs--20 thousand pesos is just $450.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yep. In fact, he also addressed that by noting that rich people take the "safer" drugs, like cocaine and heroin, which is why we don't hear about killings in upscale parts of town. And I only saw this now while pulling up that link, but I honestly can't believe that he literally said "my order is to destroy."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I wish I'd taken pics, but I just came back from a local comic con and one booth was selling Duterte sculptures of him in various action movie poses, with the most prominent one in front being Duterte wearing the Punisher's costume and dual wielding pistols.

It's great and all that he established a 911 hotline that works, and that he supposedly put a stop to the bullet scam at the airport, and his supporters can keep pointing to that and saying that it's why they voted for him, but I feel these sculptures betray the actual fantasies that they've constructed in their heads.

Edit: vvvvv who wants to explain Taglish to this guy

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 27, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My favorite fake thing that Duterte supporters are spreading on Facebook would have to be this one. Obviously a satire but just look at the comments (on the Facebook shares) and it's clear some people actually think this is real. The fact that there exists anyone who doesn't realize it's a satire is a testament to how delusional some of them are.

Edit: lmao this one is even better; the comments there are Duterte supporters congratulating him (and ironically, one Duterte supporter asking the page not to spread false info): https://www.facebook.com/PresidentRudyDuterte/photos/a.796402073728786.1073741828.747714771930850/1082278831807774/?type=3&theater

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 31, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Maybe by "they" he was referring to drugs?

But anyway, there's plenty of other stuff going on!

The government is seeking to have mandatory drug testing for college admissions because obstructing the education of drug users is the best possible solution to students doing drugs.

quote:

The government seeks to make drug testing a requirement for all incoming college students, said Julito Vitriolo, the executive director of the Commission on Higher Education.
"This was born out of the president's call to make campuses drug-free, because we see the pervasive effects of drug use," he said in a television interview.
"What's important is for students not to use drugs. It will be a deterrent if they want to continue their studies," Vitriolo said, adding that those testing positive could go through rehabilitation before being admitted to college.

Senator Cayetano, creator of the infamous murders graph, says that the hearings on extrajudicial killings are making the Philippines look bad.

quote:

Cayetano explained this would not do the country any good in the face of the President's first overseas trip next week where he would be meeting with world leaders like U.S. President Barrack Obama.

He said it wouldn't look good if while Duterte was meeting with heads of state, and yet at home, he was being blamed for the killings.

Cayetano also hinted at the idea of De Lima dropping her chairmanship in the Justice committee, which was holding probes on EJK in relation to the anti-drug campaign. He said there was conflict of interest since the lady senator was also being linked to illegal drugs.

This "link", I remind everyone, is mainly a diagram Duterte presented that has about as much weight as a corkboard with yarn connecting news articles together.

Here's a real Duterte supporter sharing an obvious fake news article (it's filed under satire in the actual link, although there's nothing in there that is actually humorous) as proof that Duterte is great.

And finally, maybe I don't understand marijuana but is this really the best way to dispose of all the weed they found?

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 2, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Well, consider Jack Bauer. Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles. He saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Are you going to convict Jack Bauer? Say that criminal law is against him? "You have the right to a jury trial?" Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer? I don't think so. So the question is really whether we believe in these absolutes. And ought we believe in these absolutes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

News is only coming in just now but there was an explosion in Davao, which as you guys will recall is where Duterte was Mayor before his ascension. Nothing is known yet about whether or not this is political but I thought it might be worth mentioning just in case this develops into something. Plus you just know the pro-Duterte crowd isn't gonna shut up about this. https://twitter.com/cnnphilippines/status/771720932293390338

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 2, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

In response to the explosion, Duterte has declared a "state of lawlessness" in Mindanao.

And then just now, the Palace revised the announcement to cover the whole country:
https://twitter.com/ANCALERTS/status/771903659894419456

I try not to be a panicmonger but seriously, I can't loving be the only one who thinks of this. Oh, but it's okay, say my pro-Duterte Facebook friends! It's okay because Duterte has explicitly said "no, this isn't martial law!" No, he's just saying "I may invite uniformed personnel to run the country according to my specifications," and “it’s not martial law but it would require nationwide, well-coordinated efforts of the military and the police.” So no cause for alarm, because it's not martial law :) :) :)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

According to this, "what it simply means, he said, is that more soldiers and policemen will now be deployed, government will set up more checkpoints, and impose, if needed, curfews in certain areas."

quote:

“It is not the label of proclamation but the modalities of execution that characterizes the declaration,” said a judge who spoke on condition of anonymity.
But I have no clue what that means other than "uh I guess we have to wait and see."

quote:

Policemen in the mega capital were ordered to "set up checkpoints where deemed necessary and maximize security and presence in all vital installations, malls, churches, MRT and LRT stations, and all places of convergence," according to PNP Metro Manila chief Chief Superintendent Oscar Albayalde.

The last time this happened was 2003--it was also in response to bombings, but it didn't last long, and it was localized to Davao.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

CNN Philippines is reporting that the "State of Lawless Violence" is in effect only in Mindanao, Sulu, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi, and that there was a miscommunication regarding it being implemented nationwide. However, the guy who said this also said that it was "declared not only because of Davao blast but also for crime, drug war".

Edit: the wording isn't clear; it could be me who's misunderstanding it. Another way to interpret it would be "we actually meant to say it was nationwide, and it was a miscommunication that it would only be in Mindanao". Source here: https://twitter.com/cnnphilippines/status/771935844387131393

Argue fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 3, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

And yeah, okay, maybe the literal imposition of Martial Law is actually becoming a police state in a way that Alex Jones' paranoid rants about Obama aren't, but still. There are a lot of people out there who are using this as cover to further rally behind the President, no matter what he does, and I have no wish to be tasteless or ghoulish.

https://twitter.com/moneyedCapital/status/771934588667060224

I'm seeing a lot more of this than I'm actually seeing anyone "celebrating". I'm actually kind of offended that people think the anti-Duterte crew saw this and thought "this is my chance to jab Duterte" or "hah, they deserve it" (there's a popular post on FB right now where someone paints us as such).

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but oh my god people we can be sad about a tragedy and worried about the future at the same time! It's not unreasonable to have concerns about the government response to a crisis, and drawing comparisons to similar events in history isn't a "Martial Law fantasy" (as another popular post is calling it) nor do we draw these comparisons "gleefully"! These are actual points of consideration that can't just be ignored because someone said "haha no it's not martial law"! :tizzy:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Geez, now I'm annoyed at that. The administration damns itself enough without us needing truthers. I doubt they're plants because there's nuts everywhere. But even truthers are laughed at by anti-Bush people so I don't think we need to resort to calling them false flags.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Edit: sorry about the compression but I disagree with Duterte's declaration of a state of losslessness

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It feels like surely John Oliver's team wants to do a full-length segment on Duterte except every week he outdoes himself and they have to rewrite the whole thing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

The first exposure I had to Duterte was someone posting on Facebook that his presidency is what would happen if someone based their political platform on YouTube comments. It's not far off the mark. How likely is a Marcos-style state of emergency in the future, what would start it, and how long would it take before Duterte says "gently caress everything" and implement it?

Well, he's declared a nationwide "state of lawlessness" (nobody appreciated my pun earlier :( )--which they claim is emphatically not the same thing--in response to the recent bombing in Davao. However, they also said that this state of lawlessness was in the works even before the bombing.

quote:

Duterte assured the public that what he declared “is not martial law” and that there would be no suspension of the writ of habeas corpus.

What it simply means, he said, is that more soldiers and policemen will now be deployed, government will set up more checkpoints, and impose, if needed, curfews in certain areas.

The 1987 Constitution allows the President to call on the armed forces "to prevent or suppress lawless violence."

And of course the Duterte cheering squad says "see, you were worried over nothing--he says it's not martial law, so it's not". It boggles my mind because this is the same friend who chides others for assessing politicians (Marcos, specifically) based on their surname without considering their actual history/actions, but when it comes to Duterte he refuses to believe there's any similarity unless they explicitly say "yes this is martial law and yes i am literally the new Marcos".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

("alam mo" = "you know")

The article in question

So he's using a completely unrelated series of events to distract everyone and evade having to answer questions about killings in the Philippines.

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 6, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

Is it just a poor translation or are the things Duterte says super insane?

Several of the quotes in this thread were spoken in English. Others were translated by us, and I would say the ones that weren't are fairly spot on.

In fairness, in this particular instance, it sounds like he was using "son of a bitch" in an exclamatory fashion, not as an insult. But now they're spinning it to say that he was calling the REPORTER a son of a bitch. Of course, the simplest solution would have been to, you know, not swear at all.

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 6, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That's by his spokesman, so I'm just waiting for him to deny that just like he denied the rape joke apology when his team apologized for him.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Sure, why not! Remember, Duterte plans to visit Colombia to see how they won the war on drugs!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I reread the statement and I hate to say this but it's hard for me to say that he was addressing Obama. It seemed quite pointedly directed at the press. Of course, there's still a mess of wrong here, such as his evading questions about his administration by just pointing out America's crimes, his general understanding of why world leaders meet, and the fact that he swore at all. Not to mention how his supporters will defend him regardless of how his words are interpreted. But at this point I think harping on the "son of a bitch" thing is just going to hurt critics since the full transcript makes it easy to spin it around on us and demonstrate how biased we are against him.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Argue posted:

I reread the statement and I hate to say this but it's hard for me to say that he was addressing Obama. It seemed quite pointedly directed at the press. Of course, there's still a mess of wrong here, such as his evading questions about his administration by just pointing out America's crimes, his general understanding of why world leaders meet, and the fact that he swore at all. Not to mention how his supporters will defend him regardless of how his words are interpreted. But at this point I think harping on the "son of a bitch" thing is just going to hurt critics since the full transcript makes it easy to spin it around on us and demonstrate how biased we are against him.
Basically no, but he was swearing at the reporters and threatening to swear at Obama too.

I made a joke on Facebook today about how I watched all of Stranger Things and can definitively say Duterte isn't anything like the Demagogue like everyone says, but already my joke is out of date.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The comments, of course, being Duterte supporters who want to make sure you understand that the literal translation of Duterte's words proves the media is biased. :sigh:

Tangential, but now I want to see how Trump responds. I want to see how these two interact because the chemistry would be truly zany!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Argue posted:

I wish I'd taken pics, but I just came back from a local comic con and one booth was selling Duterte sculptures of him in various action movie poses, with the most prominent one in front being Duterte wearing the Punisher's costume and dual wielding pistols.

Not mine but here; all the statues in the back save Pikachu are him too:

Now, I don't even know if this is actually from the pro-Duterte camp or if this is satire about how he's become an instant legend:

Translation:

quote:

In 1997, Rodrigo Duterte went to the United States to collect different kinds of snow. There, he met a lad who had lost all hope in his life. He told him: "just believe in yourself, and study geography, history, and civics". And that young man was the future president of the United States, Barack Obama.

And then there's this one, who thinks that this is in any way analogous to Duterte being a diplomatic trainwreck:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Christ, is Duterte trying to see how big a lie he can tell before people stop defending him? Is he just a big social experiment conducted by Trump to test how huge a whopper fanatic supporters are capable of swallowing?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...dinner-he-isnt/

quote:

In a news release earlier on Wednesday, the Philippine Office of the President said: "Presidents Duterte and Obama will be seated next to each other, which expectedly, will focus all cameras on them to deliver to the world the encounter of the two. Incidentally, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is also seated on the other side of President Duterte."

quote:

Despite these claims, images from the dinner quickly revealed that Duterte was not, in fact, seated next to Obama or Ban.

And this wasn't some offhanded remark he can play off as a joke he made "in the heat of the moment". It was an actual statement from his press team.

Edit: MATH BIAS! He's sitting next to them in some space that doesn't use Cartesian coordinates!

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 8, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Senator Dick Gordon just proposed granting the president emergency powers, including suspension of the writ of habeas corpus. Only the italicized translation is mine:

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/09/08/16/gordon-wants-habeas-corpus-suspended-for-drugs-terrorism

quote:

Congress should suspend writ of habeas corpus, which directs authorities to present a prisoner to the court to determine if the detention is lawful, for cases pertaining to drugs and terrorism, a senator said on Thursday.

Senator Richard Gordon recommended the suspension in addition to President Rodrigo Duterte's declaration of the state of national emergency on account of lawless violence, and in support for the president's war on drugs.

Duterte on Monday signed the declaration, days after the Davao bombing on September 2, which left at least 14 dead and over 60 wounded.

But Gordon said the declaration only allows for more military visibility on the streets.
"To suppress lawless violence, [what that means is], the police are insufficient, so [let's add an] army, [so that they can give chase if there's a fight, we can intervene]," he said.

"In the prosecution of a crime and the crime is being committed, they can use the force necessary, allowed by the law to do that and now, they have an amigo—the military," he added.

Under the Malacañang directives, warrantless arrests are allowed under specified circumstances, but Gordon believes it will not be sufficient to accost persons of interest.

"I don’t know if anybody would waive his rights to be arrested, unless caught committing a crime or about to commit a crime or is an escaped prisoner, you cannot be arrested unless they have a warrant," he said.
Gordon said that the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus would add teeth to the declaration of national emergency and the guidelines thereof.

Likewise, Gordon said the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus would also resolve the issue of the spate of killings allegedly connected to the war on drugs.

It is also hypocrisy that now the Philippines has a leader who is willing to solve the drug menace, he is not equipped with the power to quell it, said Gordon.

"He wants to solve it. Let's support him. We don't want drug-related murders, give him something without hypocrisy. Give them the suspension of habeas corpus so people are arrested, not murdered," he said.

In this war on drugs, Gordon said, the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus will give authorities power to arrest someone immediately and investigate simultaneously.

"If it’s a war against drugs, let’s give the president, let’s tell the people in black and white, [that] if you’re a drug pusher, you’re a drug lord, you can now be arrested because of suspended writ of habeas corpus," he said.

"Maghabol ka, huhulihin ka namin, habang iniimbestigahan ka namin para we can really, mabulatlat lahat yung mga kalokohan mo," he added.

[If you run away, we will chase after you while being investigated so that all your wrongdoings will be revealed.]
Gordon also believes a state of emergency, which shall include the suspension of writ of habeas corpus, will help quell the threat of terrorism.

"How many times should we see and not complain about people being beheaded? A young boy is kidnapped; because hindi nagbayad ng tatlong milyon, pinugutan ng ulo [He didn't pay so terrorists beheaded him]. Are we going to wait for that to happen? Are we going to wait for them to do it here?," he said.

He pointed out, the government has tried to do this before, but it has been swept under the carpet.

"I want it out in the open. Declare a state of emergency, [sic] give the courts the power of the law and the policemen the power of the law to suspend yung when they arrest, you produce him right away," he said.

He believes, an emergency authorized by the congress will be prone to less abuse because "congress will be overriding the emergency powers by providing all these legalities that needed to be there in order to protect the people."

This, he said, is provided for in the Constitution and that Congress may authorize emergency in case of war and national emergency "provided we say it’s only for a certain time, or a limited period of time."

"Under the constitution, in times of emergency or war, congress may declare that state of emergency by way of delineating what powers the president may have, even suspending the writ of habeas corpus, specifically, let’s say, for drugs or for terrorism," he said.

He also noted that even if the habeas corpus is suspended or even if martial law is declared, courts will stay.

However, under this scenario, he would also want that the courts be open for 24 hours to be able to respond immediately for reports of abuse by the authorities.

"We should ask the Supreme Court to create 24-hour courts, even part of the emergency should allow for the expansion of more courts," he said, noting that in July this year, the high courts added 200 more courts.

"In case of abuse, if you have an emergency, the court should remain open for 24 hours, even for Skype or something like that…so the courts can immediately act," he added.

He added, the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, which he chairs, will also be open to investigate should the police or the military abuse their powers.

Gordon said, since the Senate seems keen on granting emergency powers to Duterte to solve the traffic crisis in the metro, they should also think about granting emergency powers for other issues.

"Congress, if we all really want to save our country, if we feel that we don’t want these killings, if we feel that it’s important that we allow this president this emergency powers, let’s extend the emergency powers beyond traffic. That’s another emergency powers," he said.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Hey thread, is there a doctor I can see who specializes in aneurysms caused by reading my Facebook feed? Almost posted this to the email forwards thread but since these are all postings by public figures I figured this was a better place:

Perfecto Yasay posted:

I choose not to be bothered by expletives uttered by president Duterte to explain that human rights refers to the fundamental rights of a desperate and oppressed people victimized by ruthless offenders and violators of the law. The issue of human rights must be addressed from the viewpoint of our urgent needs, aspirations and national history and not through the international norms created and arbitrarily imposed by former colonizers that now claim civility and superiority resulting from vulgar behavior and a dismal record in respecting human rights, dignity and equality.

classic "and you are lynching negroes" response

Some of this next one may seem sensible on the surface but just to be clear, this is coming because duterte supporters don't like that the media emphasized his potty mouth instead of talking about all the "good" he's done, so pardon me if i don't think they have the best interests of "the republic" at heart by saying we should regulate the media:

Antonio Contreras posted:

TIME TO REGULATE THE MEDIA AS A PROFESSION

This is not about censorship, but making the media accountable for what they do.

Lawyers, doctors, engineers, chemists, psychologists and even foresters are examples of professions. There is an academic degree requirement. And there is a board exam that you need to pass, and there is a code of ethical conduct for which you are held accountable, and if you transgress, you get removed from the profession and denied the chance to practice it ever.

It is about time to make journalism a regulated profession, and have its own board exam, even as it requires having an academic degree in the appropriate field of communication and journalism, and required units in political science, economics, and other disciplines that would be relevant to its practice.

Journalists should also be required to divest themselves from any pecuniary interest in any public or financial activity, and they should be asked to inhibit in reporting on news for which they or their relatives may have some involvement. Finally, they should be strictly non-partisan, and should be barred from posting any political opinion in social media or any other platform.

This would only of course apply to those who are tasked to report the news, such as reporters and anchors. Public affairs commentators and analysts would not be covered, considering that what they do is basically to express opinions, as partisans, with their biases. And there is always the rules on libel to which they can be held civilly-liable (although I go for its decriminalization).

Even if there is already a Code of Ethics for the media, this is just similar to the Code of Ethics for Scientists in doing research. They serve as internal standards but are weak legally.

Professional journalists should no longer be allowed to become commentators and opinion-writers. If you want to do the latter, then you cease to become a journalist, but become a thought-leader, or an opinion-maker.

There should be no crossing-over. A TV anchor should no longer be allowed to have a regular column, although a newspaper editor can still be allowed to become an opinion-maker subject to certain constraints.

The noise and misrepresentation that is created by media, from taking out of context of Sec. Tugade's comment about traffic being a state out mind, to grossly misrepresenting the putang ina of the President as a direct curse at President Obama, are just tips of the iceberg. You have journalists who even during the delivery of the news make editorial comments. You have reporters who post comments for or against a politician in their face-book accounts.

This, while lawyers, doctors, psychologists and engineers are held strictly to comply with their profession's codes of conduct, and could be sued for malpractice. Lawyers could be disbarred. The license of Doctors could be suspended or revoked.

Driving in this country is a licensed endeavor that when you make a moving violation, you get a ticket, or when you commit a serious traffic infraction, that your license is revoked and you are banned from driving for life. The reason? Because you are a threat to public safety.

An irresponsible journalist is a threat to the Republic.

A journalist who reports lies, or inaccuracies, or is blatantly partisan, is not propagating information that should be protected, for it is done contradictory to the tenets of the journalist's profession -- to advance truth, without fear of fervor. In fact, they themselves live on this mantra of "walang kinikilingan, walang pinuprotekahan."

Freedom of speech will not be violated, for opinions can still be freely expressed by partisans, opinion writers, political analysts, and social meda netizens.

But a higher standard should be set to those whose profession rests on unbiased reporting of facts.

Furthermore, ordinary netizens and bloggers could not be accused of practicing without a license, for it would be clear that they will be posting opinions, which is a protected speech, and not objective and factual news, which only licensed professional media practitioners are authorized to do. Hence, the boundaries will be clearer.

Senator Dick Gordon posted:

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. We all don’t like the killings. The President too. Yet, we also want to fix our drug problem in the quickest and most effective way possible. In the current circumstances we are in, when drug lords are already in jail yet still powerfully giving orders in the outside world, and not a cent of their belongings in the possession of government - all the strides the president has made will soon go to waste. [Whatever victories he has in the war on drugs, it will be for nothing because even if addicts and pushers go away, others will take their place and we'll keep going in circles because we haven't fixed the root of the problem and the true culprits] As it is, talk is rife regarding the culprits of the unexplained killings -drug lords, police, even government officials wanting to disassociate themselves from those who can point them out. We are even now hearing that the drug lords could have paid Abu Sayyaf to bomb Davao City. THE FACT IS THE GRIP OF DRUGS IN THIS COUNTRY IS SO TIGHT AND HARD THAT IT EVEN ESCAPES DEATH.

The president has declared an all out war against drugs. And rightfully so. And the Constitution with the help of Congress can afford him the powers to fight an all out war within the confines of the rule of law.

I AM NOT ONE TO PLAY BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE. Extra especially so on this one. If we want real change, we need real solutions. The president has declared a state of national emergency on account of lawless violence. Already people are asking what it’s implications are. In reality it is a mere declaration. Only Congress can define the powers of emergency the president may exercise.

I OWE MY ALLEGIANCE TO THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY. AND NOT TO ANY ONE PERSON. And that is why I want it defined now. Lest more killings occur. We have to use the Constitution. Use the rule of law. You complain about extra-judicial and unexplained killings, and yet you are unwilling to give our government the proper tools they need to put a stop to it.

I AM NOT PROPOSING MARTIAL LAW. What I am proposing will prevent Martial Law. It will give our chief executive and our police force real but limited powers. It puts restraints on what they can and can’t do. It clearly defines the process within the rule of law. It will have limits, both in breadth and in time. We cannot have our police force -baton toting and whistle blowing, chasing criminals who have within their arsenal an unlimited choice of arms, financed by money sourced from drug lords not just in our country but clearly outside too. Our police force has been risking their lives in the dark for the longest time. It’s about time we give them the RIGHT TOOLS commensurate to the fight they are bravely doing for the whole country.

The existing justice system in this country is so messy and convoluted. You have to go through all the letters of the alphabet several times over to get from point A to point B. That is if you get lucky to get to point B. We need to fast track the system. We cannot wait anymore. For a long time, we tried waiting. Waiting for justice to happen. And what happened was, an overpowering criminal INjustice system.

How many more times do you want to see cardboards hanging around dead bodies saying ‘pusher/addict ako, huwag tularan,’ justice dished out on old, banged up cardboard? how many more times do you want people taking the law in their own hands? how many more times do you want small fries sacrificed to shhh information about all the big fish?

We finally have a leader who wants to solve the problem. And will do everything to solve the problem. Finally it is not just a press release. Why shouldn’t we give him the right tools? We owe it to him. We owe it to ourselves. The president needs our help. We cannot just leave him there alone. And without the right tools. It’ will be like feeding him to the wolves. Feeding ourselves to the wolves.

This is his defense of his bill proposing to give the president emergency powers, including suspension of writ of habeas corpus.

Logic is essentially: if you hate extrajudicial killing so much, why don't you support my idea? it would allow the police to arrest people without a warrant so there wouldn't be as much violence. but don't worry because it will have restraints!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Also I like how someone with the gall to try giving Marcos a heroes' burial wants to talk to Obama about historical crimes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm trying to be wary of some of these articles because to some extent I do agree that our media is garbage--IIRC Obama himself said that the two of them had shaken hands--and I don't think we need to compound the fuel the pro-Duterte camp is using by getting suckered into linking these around. Duterte is doing a magnificent job of making himself and the Philippines look bad to other countries without the journalists who are trying to get clicks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

And in other news, the Philippines has been trying for years to save the life of Mary Jane Veloso, sentenced to death for smuggling drugs into Indonesia. Poor people being duped into moving product is a relatively common phenomenon in the Philippines due to our incredibly high volume of OFWs (overseas foreign workers); she wasn't the first, and she won't be the last.

Duterte said he'd bring up the issue in his meeting with President Widodo, which he did--but everyone kind of thought he'd speak in favor of her. Instead, he greenlit her execution with a fairly unambiguous "Please go ahead if you want to execute her."

I have to hand it to him, at least he's consistent in wanting people involved in drugs dead. Now, I wonder how many nationalistic Duterte supporters were also clamoring to save her, and how they're dealing with Duterte forcibly shattering their doublethink.

Edit: As I posted this, this article went up, saying he did NOT give them a go-ahead. so lol I don't even know if it's just that our media is poo poo or if this is more of their spin factory

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I've been playing Ace Attorney 6 and I've never been so riled up by a Phoenix Wright game before; in this one he goes to a country where accused criminals are sentenced to death following a sham of a trial, people who try to defend these criminals are reviled for abetting them, and in a later case you have to solve a series of vigilante killings, and the vigilante turns out to be a government stooge

Not to mention that the setting, Khurain, uses the same Filipino convention of adding an "h" to an established proper noun to make it sound more exotic

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I suspect the "average" Filipino didn't vote for Duterte either. I've mentioned this before but the majority of his votes probably came from the frustrated middle class than from the poor, who constitute a majority of the population. I would think they were worried given all the stuff that's been happening lately, but I honestly don't know what the opinion among them is; my friends are by and large middle class, and opinion seems split based on my FB feed, but that's probably due to liberals tending to associate with liberals and the pro-Duterte people (I have a surprising amount of pro-Duterte liberals on my feed) being incredibly vocal.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I don't know why it's only being reported on now (okay, it's probably because Duterte overshadowed everything), but in other news, the reproductive health bill, which was the subject of much controversy (from conservatives, of course), and which was passed last year, is still nowhere near implementation. We've had a long and sordid history with reproductive health--this bill, in its original form, is older than many of the constituents that it aimed to help. After much handwringing, the bill was finally approved last year--and almost immediately put on hold by the Supreme Court until they can verify that it's safe... or moral, or whatever. So in practice, we're essentially back to square one on reproductive health.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/815108/sc-puts-rh-law-on-hold

quote:

The SC ruling issued on Aug. 24 means the 400,000 subdermal contraceptive implants—including Implanon and Implanon NXT, supposedly the most effective forms of birth control—that former Health Secretary Janet Garin had procured at P500 each, or one-tenth of the P5,000 market price with the help of the Gates’ foundation, would remain in government warehouses unless the DOH and FDA can convince anti-abortion groups they are not abortifacients.

Part of the bill was to provide easier access to contraceptives for those who couldn't afford it, but this was seen as contributing to a "contraceptive mentality", a very vaguely defined notion of immorality that enables promiscuity and promotes a "culture of death", so now the onus is on them that these will not allow someone to easily terminate a pregnancy after the moment of conception.

I probably have a bunch of posts about this whole business in the SE Asia thread. And believe me, we need contraceptives (and good sex ed, which the bill also favors) really badly.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

lol the police have a drug bust quota to meet

quote:

ILOILO CITY, Philippines — Politics has nothing to do with the relief of 62 chiefs of police in Western Visayas, an official of the Police Regional Office-6 said yesterday.

Superintendent Gilbert Gorero, PRO-6 spokesperson, said the 62 police chiefs failed to reach their targets in illegal drugs. “They underperformed in our campaign against illegal drugs, as stipulated in Project Double Barrel,” he said.

By quota, a town or city police station must conduct three positive anti-illegal drug operations from July 1 to August 31. “But sadly, majority of these police stations failed to deliver based on our two-month assessment,” Gorero said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VlNXtccG8k