Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Super interesting. I work with almost all Filipinos (most of them seem to gravitate to night shift at hospitals) and some like that the voting system doesn't seem corrupt anymore yet dislike the current president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I have been talking with my Filipino co-worker about this stuff, and he is adamantly pro Duterte. I bring up about how does Duterte know if the people he kills are drug dealers and just replies to me that you just know. On the other hand, alot of my other Filipina co-workers are against him.

In any case, I wonder what they long-term repercussions of this extrajudicial killing campaign would be on the country. Its obvious that I think they are hoping for a country similar to Singapore where both the crime rate and overall happiness of the country is low.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I have no doubts that some innocent people have been caught up in this. I mean, from what it sounds like, you can probably find someone you don't like, murder them, and simply say they were a drug pusher and get away with it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

After reading sources in this thread and elsewhere, I figured dictatorship was coming to the Philippines. What I wasn't expecting was a grand total of three months to elapse between Duterte's inauguration and the end of Philippine democracy. If anyone in this thread can leave, find a way to do so. Things won't get better until they get far worse.

Also, I kinda wish Mayweather beat the absolute poo poo out of Pacquiao like he did with numerous women, instead of the cowardly style he used in that fight and throughout his career.

I disagree, fetishizing Nazis seems to be a common link.

That's ok cause you can relish in Marquez knocking him the gently caress out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Argue posted:

"I will tell them, ‘gently caress you.’"
Facebook: "Oh, he's not saying gently caress you, he's only _threatening_ to say gently caress you."
"I repeat it, ‘gently caress you,’"
Facebook: "Well come on you gotta look at the context here."

Spoken like a true Dutertinista. But from my standpoint, the guy just seems like a giant petulant baby that is lashing out at everything and everyone who dares criticize him.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/philippines-playing-dead-survive-duterte-drug-war-160922173054835.html

Interesting story about the drug war and puts a face to who these policies are affecting.

As always, don't read the comments. From what I can see, most defenders are taking a supreme nationalistic approach attacking anyone who dares criticizes for not being from there or not living there long enough.

One commenter nailed it in saying that this is primarily hurting the poor and that the people with real power still won't be touched.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 25, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CronoGamer posted:

Just saw this in Philstar today--

US senators reconsider assistance to Philippines amid drug war

There have been rumblings of invoking the Leahy Law for a few weeks now, so I'm not surprised to see this. But if we thought Duterte was pissy at the US over human rights concerns before, just imagine how he'll be when we cancel assistance packages like the $79 million we gave last year under the SEAsia Maritime Security Initiative...

I'm guessing the Philippines will turn to China or Russia if that happens. The comments are what you would expect with people saying that withdrawing aid would actually hurt the United States.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Well yes I want to kill 3 million people but they are all addicts.

Initially when I first read this thread, I thought it was just drug dealers he was killing but apparently he means to kill basically everyone using drugs. What you just posted singles both of them out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Flayer posted:

I really am shocked by the amount of vitriol towards Duterte in this thread. He is the democratically elected leader of a western allied nation with high approval ratings. Fantasizing about assassinating such a leader is frankly pathetic. Duterte is certainly better than the set of career criminals his government replaced.

You're shocked that people don't like a politician who is at the forefront of a campaign to kill anyone he thinks is a drug dealer or drug addict without a trial?

I actually only saw one person fantasizing about his assassination. But it's clear that the way to go about fixing a drug problem is not by leading a murder campaign.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Flayer posted:

Duterte ran on a platform where he clearly and openly said he was going to kill drug dealers once elected and the people voted for him in huge numbers despite the fact that he is completely outside the normal political machinery of the country. Duterte is doing what he said he would and what the people of the Philippines voted him in to do. Calling him things like a dictator is just childish. If you have a problem with Duterte you have a problem with democracy as an ideology.

Just because he was democratically elected doesn't mean he is above critique.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I can't tell if Duterte is really smart, or really stupid. Or maybe somewhere in the middle where he just doesn't know what he is doing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I usually find that many of them trip up when you ask why only poor people have been targeted and why the suppliers haven't really be focused on. They usually have no reply to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

And nurses

We have a ton of Filipino nurses, and they almost always work the night shift.