Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What would it take for the US to, say, start rolling back worker visas and the like for Filipinos as a way of punishing or embarrassing Duerte? IIRC, the Philippines factored pretty heavily into Obama's whole "pivot to Asia" policy, and it's still a priority despite the lackluster reception from the public here, so I can't imagine that anyone in the administration is pleased with any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

How safe is it for US citizens to visit the Phillippines, specifically Manila, right now? My partner is Filipina and is planning to visit her family in December around Christmas time. I would imagine that being American would confer a fair amount of safety, and some of her family there apparently lives in something resembling a "compound" (they're modestly upper class, by all accounts), but if things are as gruesome as they sound maybe she'd be better off not going at all.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 26, 2016

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Yeah, that's what I figured. I don't think the Phillippines is the wild west by any means, I just wanted to double-check.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

hmmm stopped clock and all that
the very loving moment you leave the plane, a horde of savage pinoys will descend upon you and rip you to shreds and bathe in your blood while they worship their corpse god figure christ

Or it's perfectly safe so long as you stick to the upper-middle class/tourist areas you big baby
The US gubbmint has a specific website just for scared whiners like you: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/philippines-travel-warning.html

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I don't know man, I get questions like that all the time about pretty anywhere outside of the West in my sidejob and it just triggers something deep in me after too many questions about whether it's "safe to go" but I'm not allowed to answer like that at work

But yeah, I guess it was slightly outta line but I mean, come the heck on, SE-Asia is one of the safest places to park your honky rear end in the world

1. I'm Black
2. I lived in Seoul for two years, did research in the Kalahari desert and then hitchhiked across Botswana, completed a Fulbright scholarship in Brasil, and done a bunch of international travel for various jobs. Even if it was me going, I wouldn't be worried about the Phillippines being a lawless hell hole (and as I said, I don't think it is). I'm more than capable of handling myself off the beaten path.
3. I'm asking out of concern for my partner, who will be there alone (albeit with distant family), has never been to the Phillippines before, and doesn't speak the language.

Don't let any of that stand in the way of being a sanctimonius dick on the internet, though.

Thanks gradenko_2000 and Scaramouche for the actual info and advice.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 27, 2016

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Lol no. I split my time there between Salvador, Sao Paulo, and Brasilia mostly.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Navaash posted:

So in the hypothetical that after the people eventually rise up and depose or otherwise shake off Duterte after months of killings and international condemnation, will Pinoy Pride fall by the wayside and be supplanted by Pinoy Penitence?

Pinoy pride will never die.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Welp, didn't expect Duerte to go off the deep end like that so quickly, but not surprised really.

Nthing what everyone else has said; this is bad for the Phillipines in the long run and meh for the US. The Asia Pivot will be fine, plenty of other nations willing to pony up to the US in exchange for military support and aid, and Duerte is probably going to be unpleasantly surprised when HRC takes office and tells him to kick rocks once he tries to weasel back into the US's good graces.

I'm really surprised there's not more uproar from Filipino-Americans or expats here in the States, this sort of diplomatic row could really gently caress a lot of people over if the State Dept decides to play hardball and embarrass Duerte by showing him how small of a player he actually is.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 20, 2016

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ihatepants posted:

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of terrible Filipino-Americans who have the "gently caress You Got Mine" attitude, so they don't care (isn't this related to the common Filipino trait of "crab mentality"?). There's also a huge portion of FilAms who supported Duterte during the election because of his anti-corruption stance (or because they're from Davao), so they still support him because of cognitive dissonance at this point.

Yeah I see a lot of this in my partner's family; two of her uncles are a doctor and an architect who live in the whitest parts of Massachusetts and Colorado, respectively. They're nice guys, but they definitely embody that bootstrap mythology, "fiscal conservative, socially liberal" immigrant stereotype to varying amounts. It's weird.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The author misrepresented his relationship with Pulido at the time of her death (right around the time he pitched and began working on the eventual Atlantic piece), in what sounds like pretty blatant outright lying:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...rticle_left_1.1

As far as the larger ramifications, I agree that the slavery on display here is much different from the history & context of chattel slavery in the US, but to claim cultural relativism as a way of deflecting any sort of inter or intra-community discussion is complete bullshit. The idea that "Western" perspectives aren't appropriate is pretty laughable given how this woman spent the majority of her life in the US, and the Atlantic article was explicitly written with a Western audience in mind. Also slavery is slavery, regardless of cultural context.

Some fairly prominent "social justice" folks on twitter have been getting attacked all day by Filipinx & Filipinx-American folks for daring to call out the more problematic aspects of Tizon's story and behavior, specifically how he profited from Pulido's labor in his own house for ~20 years, only compensated her at the near end of her life, centered himself in the Atlantic article rather than the actual victim of his family's crimes, etc (although some have been pushing back against that). https://twitter.com/ubeempress/status/864899380712689664

Of course you could also take the opposite tack like others have and claim that "the slave/master dynamic has evolved" in Filipino culture and therefore the entire story is exempt from any criticism or analysis :wtc:

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess the crux of the pushback comes from people feeling insulted that this is being compared to African-American chattel slavery, but after reflecting upon it overnight, I don't really know if that's even a distinction with a difference. I could go on about how "when my family had maids, they always ate what we ate, and we never treated them different, and over time we considered them family", but ultimately the power dynamics are still greatly skewed and exploitative.

I opened this can of worms, and now I feel like I engaged in some embarrassing "heritage not hate"-type handwaving.

That's literally one of the arguments that ex-Confederates (and modern slavery deniers or historical revisionists) use. That other slaveowners might have been bad, but in OUR family OUR slaves were well-treated and happy. Or the argument that people were happier and better taken care of under slavery (I saw someone make the argument today that had Pulido been "freed" that she would've been destitute and worse off than she was with the Tizon's, so therefore she was better off with them).

Basically yeah this entire Atlantic piece has revealed some really gross rhetoric that isn't necessarily inherent to any particular culture.