Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

computer molester posted:

i seriously wanna know what the gently caress could cause this

bad graphics memory, some bits are stuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

atomicthumbs posted:

ping pong with chinese characteristics

my go-to pun is always on combat liberalism's 'no investigation, no right to speak' line, but i can't get anywhere with this

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

prefect posted:

what is this game they're playing?

BeamNG.Drive, it's kind of a techdemo for a soft-body physics engine.
its great tbh

Kurt Russell and his stunt double Dick Warlock on the set of Escape from New York

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

duTrieux. posted:

such a beautiful name

its just so perfect

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Bill NYSE posted:

Politics ain't computers c'mon man. but it is a funny shirt

early prototype pope-mobile

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Kenny Logins posted:

it's like porrasturvat but for vehicles and with even less game but way more simulation. it is also kind of unpredictable, like a slightly less buggy goat simulator

i bought it thinking it would be a driving simulator
i mean it is but it's more like the flight sim x of demolition derby games i guess

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
i hope smoka's ok, he's not usually a dick like that
stay safe anime weed cat

dang the c64 c came in some neat colours

https://fmfridays.tumblr.com/ if anyone likes fm synth music, like, early soundblaster/adlib, old segas and 80s/early 90s arcades, this is a p' neat blog

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

syscall girl posted:

it's frrriday night so going out on an anime post should be expected v0v

also your user name is really topical

i almost wish i was still justfrackingdoit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zt4jPnOk6g

someone having an allergic reaction?

if anyone wants to know the secret of my username, my username on everything the gently caress else is epi, and i was playing L4D with some auspol goons
found an adrenaline, said 'hey, look, an epi pen'. When i reg'd i dont think i was allowed a 3 letter name, so, epipen
i should probably change it but i dont really feel like it

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

syscall girl posted:

(the bigpharma tag makes it look real stupid but the numbers are right)

it's a big scandal right now

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/politics/epipens-congress-response/

oooh, look it was only one hundo back in 2009, what a deal, maybe we should go back to that :barf:

oh yeah, heard about that
fda's been blocking other adrenaline administration tools and the company making epi-pens has a patent on the auto-injector
loving garbage

i've been listening to these since like, late last year, good poo poo, rip giivasunna long live siivagunna

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Meskhenet posted:

They also expire every 6 months or so, so even if you never use one you're up for over a grand a year. (or you can be like parents at some schools that just bring the same one in every year and hope some other kid's parents actually bring one in that will work. Or the school buys one)

im pretty sure they're only sold in packs of two, so it's more like $2400 a year

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

the company has spent millions of dollars lobbying to create laws requiring all schools to purchase and maintain a supply of epi-pens.

see like, i don't think schools shouldn't have a supply of epinephrine, but, surely phials of the stuff + normal injectors and a good nurse would be more cost effective?
whole lotta kids got allergies, it's something useful to have, it's that it *specifically* has to be epipens, and that the FDA has blocked competitors, that bugs me
(and also that the company had any say lmao)

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

epipens are pretty cool. we get expired ones and you stab a box with them to see what happens..

fuckin mylan hiking the price. isn't 40% of their operating profits from epipens? thats fuckloads given how many drugs they sell. probably almost half of all the drugs on our shelf are mylan

shame they're so fuckin expensive with such short expiries. there is a cheaper alternative but its less popular

but how about just not anaphylaxing though. fuckers dont thinkin of that

what are medication prices like in NZ, actually?
aus is generally pretty ok but there's some issues where like, a medication won't be covered for adults so instead of being $22.50 it's like fuckin $500/month, tho this is reasonably uncommon

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

overall we probably pay the least for our wholesale medicines in the entire western world

because our country as a whole acts as a wholesale purchaser and arranges all sorts of deals with the drug companies. this is good in some ways but it means the public are often getting given different brands. for example atorvastatin was lipitor. used to be fuckin expernsive but then pfizer released a nz only verson called zarator where a bottle of 90 whole sales at like $4 and that wasnt bad at least it was decent tabs but soon they're being replaced by an even cheaper generic called lorstat and the price is $13 for 500 of the bastards and of course this now means I will be counting shitloads more rather than giving packets

but yeah.. cheap. and in general all very well funded. whereas our GP visits aren't so cheap

the pharmaceutical benefits scheme is pretty similar but ~price signalling~ so we still pay like $30 to $40 for some things
our doctor visits range from free (bulk billed to medicare) or a hundred to two hundred bucks, tho, so we do pretty alright

main issue is that there's politically driven decision making, so things like prep dont get on the list despite having huge public health benefits, and uncommon conditions (or conditions thought of as uncommon, or conditions with medications that people who dont need them think are fun) kinda get shafted depending on the day of the week, lol
and then there's the politicians wanting to have medicare pay doctors less, etc, because ~government spending is bad~, etc
god, even your loving nats are at least moderately ok w/ lgbt folks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greenstein
lmao, dude got shot and the bullet just flattened on his forehead
then a few years later beat up a bunch of nazis and got away with it, noice

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

cheese-cube posted:

what if it's compounded? that poo poo is a wrought in aus. god drat PCCA arsehole cunts!

i get like, really severe migraines, and most meds for them just make them worse
i've been meaning to try ergotamine if i ever get a doc that'll try it, but the only place you can get it is compounding pharmacies, which a) are loving rare b) cost a mint
so, rip me i guess

nice

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Awia posted:

what do you mean compounded?

compounded medications are where the pharmacist has to actually compound the medications - get the ingredients, put them in the capsules, etc
it's super uncommon, but occasionally a doctor will prescribe a medication that has to be compounded for the right amounts of each active ingredient, or which isn't sold pre-made for whatever reason (I think ergotamine is sold normally in the US but in aus concerns about its relation to Ergot and LSD have prevented that)

basically think 'research chems' but prescribed by a doctor and regulated

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgKLCSSd8mM

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Awia posted:

it's still £8.50 because it's still a prescription

Awia posted:

that's the price regardless of length of course btw, so if you get a week that's £8.50, if you get a year that's £8.50

rlly frustrating that, my meds were costing me like $30 for the low dose and i was going thru them twice as quick cos my dose had been bumped up, took a while to get the script for the raised dose

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

HEY NONG MAN posted:

just do what I do and never get sick

*has untreated IBS*

dietary adjustment has mostly worked for me
you can also get buscopan over the counter that works really well for the discomfort stuff

Squeezy Farm posted:

Games are p much the most engaging, creative way to tell a story these days. No other medium has an equal level of interactivity. If that's childish, well... :shrug:

i dont disagree, interactivity is really good, but games are increasingly railroading decisions and stuff
+ often the stories aren't that great to begin with unfortunately
it'll mature sooner or later

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Moist von Lipwig posted:

ergotamines are very costly to manufacture, period, afaik, because they need a ~10-15 stage synthesis in a pure nitrogen or argon atmosphere

supposedly they work real well. you could always try microdosing psilocybin or LSD instead :q:

as if i'd have a hookup lmao
the main issue with ergotamine (and psilocybin and LSD) is in this use, overuse causes more frequent migraines, but i'm getting daily migraines so, idk, gotta figure out what to do about that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkrZpy5sns

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

I prescribe triptans all the time for migraine patients, never taken them myself but my gf says they work wonders. Persistent daily headaches are a bitch to treat though cause you're right about some meds increasing severity/frequency. Your friendly local neurologist can get you on one of a number of preventive daily meds that can help.

OK back to lurking hope you enjoyed this post god bless

triptans made my migraine like, a thousand times worse the first time i took them, noped the gently caress out
was on amitryptyline for a while but didnt help a lot (it's supposed to be a preventative, a neuro put me on it)
the main issue rn is finding a doc that treats migraines seriously rather than just ignoring them or w/e

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Hello Spaceman posted:

for those of us (me) who don't carry around medical dictionaries, what is each of those and why is it laughable to have a topical cream containing them?
i mean i know what ibuprofen is and it seems dumb to put what is usually an ingested painkillers on a sore patch of skin but i'm no doctor here have a picture

none of them bar ibuprofen are any use as a topical ointment
gabapentin is a medication used for epilepsy, neuropathic pain and restless leg syndrome (and off label for bipolar iirc?)
topiramate is for epilepsy
beta blockers block the action of adrenaline on certain receptors, and are used to lower bloodpressure, treat cardiac arrythmia, anxiety and tremors
all three have to pass the blood-brain barrier to have any affect, iirc
echi's example was a medication that decreases the production of stomach acid, helps with acid reflux and ulcers and stuff

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lol everything is used off label for bipolar

tru
i mean, with gabapentin there's at least some studies showing efficacy, and usually it's not the only medication prescribed, iirc?
idklol

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Moist von Lipwig posted:

yeah some research backs it up, its just funny because everything seems to 'work' for bipolar

yeah, be nice to understand why i guess

Linux Pirate posted:

tbf i take trileptal and it is a medication for seizures, but it helps

i have bipolar II disorder. i probably shouldn't admit that here because i know it's going to come back and bite me in the rear end

honestly i always say this, but you'd think yospos (and SA in general) would be more accepting of this sort of stuff?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

prefect posted:

almost all the people will be a-okay with it, but there will be one or two who really latch onto it and act like assholes. in any group beyond a certain size, it's pretty much guaranteed

true, i just figure, idk. we're a bunch of nerds posting on the computer nerd subforum of the computers subforum of a web forum from the early 2000s, i figure we all have our problems

https://danielsnd.itch.io/what-the-box lmao, fps death match game where you play as boxes

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how is that phone attached to his shoulder

and why does he have two sets of headphones

they used to make hooks for having a phone stay on your shoulder when you had to do something, they weren't uncommon in customer support
thaaat's not how they went on though???

i kinda miss dip switches, they're better than jumpers by a longshot, + some of that configuration could still be useful

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Apocadall posted:

apparently there is a new thing in maine where they'll pay your student loans at $4500 a year if you stay working in maine after getting a stem degree

the key thing there is 'working', what work is there in maine for someone with a stem degree
or without, for that matter.

also, on cars with decorative covers over the lug nuts, an alarming number of people will try wrenching on the decorative bits
and an even more alarming number will put the nuts on backwards if they're the sort that are open both ends, lmao
what's really annoying though is cars where you have bolts instead of nuts, it's a pain in the rear end to locate the wheel back on the hub if there's no locating pegs

also i'm pretty sure unions have nothing to do with planned obsolescence lol

anyway find something better to do than complain about this generation and that generation, it's dull and pointless

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

welcome to yospos, the rich goon mental illness support forum

(i am not exempt from the charge)

i was going to ask where the rich bit came from but remembered a good half of you are paid to touch computers

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

fishmech posted:

This is wrong as hell.
mass planned obsolescence was in vogue 50s into the 80s at latest.

Pretty none of that actually happens today. Boo hoo you can't fix your TV? Well it probably lasted a long time with no repair needed. 1960s TV set? In theory still works today, as long as you had 50 years of access to ever dwindling parts and weeks of time for all the necessary repair.

Or look how the average car on the road is 12 years old. In the 60s it'd be more like 4 or 5 because those poo poo buckets needed hella repair and maintenance constantly. And most people would just get a new one

yeah the only reason classic cars are on the road today at all is *a fucktonne of work* - oil changed and carbs tuned every season, new bushings every couple years, you'll probably notice they're almost all the standard v8 engines ford and GM used for loving everything - t-birds and mustangs and poo poo came with 6 cylinder engines, too, there's just fuckall parts for them because the engines weren't also used in trucks, buses, etc
modern cars' bushings last about a decade, oil lasts ages (dont skip oil changes tho) and don't need to change the oil for winter, by using MAFs/AFMs/etc the ECU doesn't need to be retuned for different seasons and altitudes, etc
also you probably can fix your LCD tv, the most common points of failure are still the transformers and caps, it's just a pain to get them open and the parts probably cost more than a new tv
really, in any device at this point the most common point of failure is likely to be the power supply

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah non-rich mental health cases are chased out of here at a furious pace, because we are all such dignified individuals, our garden-variety anxiety and depression and dysmorphia can't be viewed through the same lens as the toiling classes

:colbert:

lmao, do IT students count?

enotnert posted:

on that vice motherboard thing. . . all i gotta say is I have a user making "HIGH END SCIENTIFIC MACHINES" with those loving gamer motherboards (his are by gigabyte)

what the gently caress is with the right angle sata ports?

on technology kids, etc. . . I'm I guess a millenial (1983 wut!) and I had a friends 7 year old over here yesterday, he was bouncy, hyperactive as gently caress, his mom was over here chilling with a bunch of us listening to records and grilling. . . he asked me what the music was coming from, cause he's fuckin 7 and literally had never seen music being played from something not a phone.

I put the kid in front of the turntable and was like "look at it, tell me how you think it works?" "well i think there is music on the disc, and that thing picks up the music signals" "yep, you wanna try putting one on?" "where are there"

took the kid inside, he was like "how do you know what to listen to?" "oh you pull things out and look at them, for now just pull them out like this, if you think it looks cool, i'll let you put it on"

He pulled out a thin lizzy album, asked me where I got all my albums "well kiddo, my momma is a lot older than your momma, and while I've bought a lot of these, she had a lot she didn't have a thing to play them on anymore"

Then I put him in front of the turntable, and outside of initially putting the needle in the center of the record he quickly went "OH!" and moved it to the outside, then rocked out and danced his little 7 year old rear end off and had the time of his life.

this is adorable
also the right angle sata ports are, ostensibly, to keep cables out of the airflow, and to facilitate routing them thru cable management holes in the case i guess. i mostly find they're just a pain in the arse but virtually every board has them, and it saves on some board space if you're going to have a whole tonne of sata ports

atomicthumbs posted:

this is yospos, everyone here has either some sort of mild-to-severe mental illness or persistent learning disability, me included

fuckin' same

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
my favourite are the old engines where you could manually advance the valve timing from the driver's/pilot's seat
like VTEC, but far more likely to open a window in the block

i just paid $40 for a script of melatonin, loving kill me

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Agile Vector posted:

:stare: how is that not otc/how high is that dosage?

non-homeopath melatonin is prescription only in aus, afaict
just, 30 tabs of 2mg melatonin, and it wasn't covered by the pharmaceutical benefits scheme. i'll have to see if my insurer will do the claims process over the phone, because they're a regional thing and i just moved away, rip

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
australia's equivalent of the confederate flag is, unfortunately, the eureka flag (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Eureka_Flag.svg/640px-Eureka_Flag.svg.png), which has a long history of being used by the labour movement, but got taken over by racist fuckheads who think halal food is funding ISIS and all sorts of dumb poo poo

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
the idea of shinkansen on road-level rail crossings scares the bejesus out of me tbh

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

yeah I checked a pack with a lady taking 300mg a night and I guess I just thought like things like opiods this poo poo works like a sponge and its usually only once it's cleared up why its there (pain, psychosis) does it start to have a recreational effect

oh man it's super fun when doctors prescribe anti-depressants and poo poo without understanding how they're supposed
SNRI class antidepressants bind to both serotonin and noradrenaline receptors, but generally bind preferentially (to a significant degree) to serotonin (excluding like, a handful of medications that slightly prefer noradrenaline receptors).
meaning, you have to increase the dose until serotonin receptors are more or less saturated with the medication, before it will bind to any significant amount of noradrenaline receptors, otherwise you might as well just prescribe an SSRI.
edit to say: i know you know stuff like this, just, for the folks who don't, + i just really hate SNRIs poo poo gave me discontinuation syndrome while i tapered *up*

rad

smoka is this you????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93VlRnRPk9k

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

prefect posted:

hey, that's the rockford files theme!

oh, they call it out :blush:

lmao
that still gets reruns here sometimes

i found this ep of rcr really loving funny tbh, no poo poo it sucked to drive

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

prefect posted:

i just wish the car made the "whoosh-whoosh" sound when the lightbar went back and forth :allears:

oh man that would've been cool
i really love it as like, an object, but gently caress driving it holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

KoRMaK posted:

Ugh, this was in the related videos and i couldnt resist watching and now I've seen too much behind the curtain. Never wanted to see his face but o well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SAGXD9IkM

same with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRjE0acNY9Y

wait till you realise the libertarian stuff isn't just an in-character shtick

edit: also the 8bitkeys/8bitguy guy carries an air gun in gun-free zones because he's so insistent on never being unarmed
i'm not actually sure if that was him joking or not but he's one of those open carry taking-my-carbine-to-dunkin-donuts guys so who knows

epipen fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 31, 2016

• Locked thread