Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Apocadall posted:

would that also cover using a green laser pointer to take out the camera? is that actually illegal or is that more of a heavily frowned upon thing?

a laser powerful enough to gently caress up a camera sensor is powerful enough to make popcorn out of someone's retina, so at the very least they could get reckless endangerment or some poo poo

Panty Saluter posted:

Lol, a pasty bald white dude with horrific posture is afraid of the whole world? Shock horror

lmao right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

work for me for free you entitled millennial twerp

this is perfect

and its mine now but i'll be sure to put your name beneath it when i use it to make money!

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

sustained release NSAIDs have higher rates of GI bleeds I believe

also melatonin is prescription only here in nz and maybe in Australia too and it's
not cheap like in the US

maybe I knew it once lol. Drs prescribe by indication though I guess ? see some huge doses of venlafaxine/efexor and scares the poo poo out if me

needing high doses doesn't make high doses safe tho, lol, and venlafaxine/desvenlafaxine have reaaaally lovely sideeffects if you're unlucky

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

yeah tell me about it. I've tried to help people
come off it, drop their dose, go back up, just painful

I think 600mg is considered max dose but our dr was prescribing 750? fuckin mental

750mg seems nuts and proooobably wasn't actually making any difference other than increasing the risk of side-effects
folks need to be real careful with poo poo that works on noradrenaline/noradrenaline receptors tbh

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
i think with antidepressants you mostly worry about neurological problems rather than hepatoxicity, like, overly high doses can cause serotonin syndrome, seizures, and all sorts of unpleasant poo poo
i could be wrong, there's probably MAOIs and TCAs that are really shockingly bad for your liver

http://dutycyclegenerator.com/ i've kinda slowly been going thru this since the person who runs FM FRIDAYS linked it, bunch of music + writeups from an old NES developer
apparently their company had to hack their own NES devkit together out of some imported famicoms and poo poo
the music's pretty impressive for the resources they had to work with, too

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
i feel like needing a pilot's license for something so small is pretty silly, tho, registering it if you're flying for a business, and height restrictions make a fair bit of sense
i guess i kinda just dont see the difference between equally as heavy and dangerous RC planes and RC quad copters? both can use cameras, one can hover better and generally has better software and is less likely to crash? the only user error likely to gently caress much up is running out of batteries or trying to do dumb stunts

also uh, shooting into the air is something you should obviously not be doing except like, in bumfuck nowhere in an actual hunting area

it's probably going to kill the homebrew quadcopter hobby scene more than a little bit

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Jonny 290 posted:

its a microcosm of the whole problem we've had for the past 50 years or so since onset of information age/computers/networking. can/should

throwing camera drones into the mix means adding a third dimension to privacy/security concerns that we previously did not pay attention to. I mean sure there are spy planes but those are run by the government

fixed-wing and manual piloted RC choppers require a bit of skill and investment, meanwhile the explosion in smartphones gave us $3 accelerometer chips that turn literally any idiot with a couple hundred bucks into a spy cam operator peeping their neighbor's wife's titties or creepin on they kids or w/e

dont get me wrong the security concerns are very real, i just mean, there's already heaps of laws dealing with the issue of bein stalked and spied on, which, while clearly inadequate, won't rlly be fixed by separate laws making quadcopters harder to muck about with

idk there's a lot of ethics/privacy/etc issues raised by new technology, but the issues are generally solvable by existing laws not having been garbage for 40 years rather than bringing in new laws about specific technology (and probably by vendors being a bit more responsible and implementing features that limit the ability of their devices to be abused, eg. limiting the range a drone can fly from the operator rather than just letting it go until the signal is too poo poo, bright indicator lights when cameras are operating, etc)

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Bill NYSE posted:

smth wrong w ur maus m8?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
i will forever lust after a MA60 supra, or RA28 celica,
or mz20 soarer
or aw11 mr2

poo poo i'd be ecstatic with a 2 door volvo 240

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

outstanding performance meant 115hp from a 3.3L six

the v8 wasn't even significantly more powerful.
and the VL commo in the late 80s had the top of the valvetrain of the nissan RB30 above the top of the radiator, so there's a spot right in the middle that doesn't get cooled well enough, so it warps and is irreparable. this was not a problem in the R31 skyline, holden were just loving hopeless.
meanwhile, in the 70s, the ford gtho phase III made nearly 400hp, and the racing holdens were about the same.
rip GM Holden, rip Ford Australia, you were pretty clueless but your parent companies were moreso.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

its so gorgeous omg
the round headlights are really rare here, australian volvo production was almost all rectangular lamps, but the rounds look soooo good on the 242

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

lmao
sick dose m8, TSUTUTUTU

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

counterpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfESmBIw04

listen to that turbine. it sounds like the goddamned batmobile

my parents drive a Grand Voyager, which is basically that but with a pushrod v6 instead of the neon srt4's motor
fucker's falling apart real bad, but there's not many cars that can fit 6 adults, 3 of whom are up over 6'

echinopsis posted:

aw11 mr2 supercharged is what I want

man i would kill for a clean one, they're rolling art tbh
SW20s are nice too but there's something about the angles of the adub, y'know?

context: some tit challenged KFC's fb page to a smash bros match with a $5 bet (e: and didn't censor their name when posting about it on the internet)

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

yes yes

last i looked they were about four grand here but nz has always had cheaper imports than Aus coz we import dozens times more despite our waaay smaller population. or at least that used to be the case

you *had* really lax grey market/parallel importation laws, didn't have to get an engineer cert to ensure imported cars met A/NZ standards (we actually share the same safety standards for the most part), poo poo changed unfortunately.

in aus, the car has to either be on a list of cars that are notable and rare, not be sold commercially by a primary importer (typically a division of the manufacturer's company) in australia, or older than 20 years old. you adopted a similar scheme about 2 years ago. It mostly benefits the car dealerships.

In aus, you also have to have the car certified safe in aus, which means on older cars (eg. MZ10/MZ20 soarer imports) you need to fit side impact bars in the doors, and generally means fitting new seatbelts, certifying the chassis is straight, etc, which takes a couple grand, never mind the shipping fees and import duty and poo poo.

adubs are pretty few and far between in aus, unfortunately. some day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26R47qyPHb8
OH poo poo YES

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

yall got good taste in vehicles

i'm still driving my first car :unsmith:

oh man that's beautiful
AE85/AE86 cost a loving fortune in aus, and they're all badly modified and rusted out
that's so mint, god drat

epipen fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 1, 2016

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

make sure the closed captions are on, lmao

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

DiggityDoink posted:

gently caress thats delicious is good in general but this intro is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AASA_3Bz_z0

please dont eat hand tattoos

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
early saturday morning motherfuckers

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

lmao

the Wendelstein 7-X Stellarator fusion reactor
the shape of each coil is tuned to contain the plasma as efficiently as current models and techniques allow
apparently the final cost was ~1bn euros

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

graph posted:

whaaaaaat

its an utter nightmare to look at, i love it

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

i'm really hoping this works cause it's the coolest thing ever

one of the main reasons we have such big problems with tokamaks is bc in a toroidal magnetic field the outer particles experience a lower force than the inner particles (being at different points in the gradient), so you need to run a current through the plasma and constantly adjust it to keep it flowing without touching the walls. so far we can only do that for seconds at a time

in a stellarator you just design the plasma path like a figure-eight racetrack, so that every particle spends equal times in high gradient areas and low gradient areas. over the course of the machine the fields balance out and the particles stay contained on their own.

this makes the machine shape way more complicated, but if you can get it working it's theoretically indefinitely stable with no active control

also it looks like a proper science fiction starship reactor

yeah im pretty excited, i've found this poo poo really interesting since i was a kid
stellarators are loving rad as hell and this is probably the most complicated we've built.
i dont think anyone expected tokamaks to be more than a stepping stone - just dipping our toes into containing plasma.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

FMguru posted:

lol at getting frank gehry to design your fusion reactor

his latest disaster of a building is the Dr Chau Chak Wing Building at the University of Technology, Sydney

its a loving paper bag

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol superman with an inhaler

lex luther is after superman's epipen
i really need to change my username

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

its wonderful, right?
someone linked it to me after i started work on the designs for that OPL3 synth i want to make.
Black Knight 2000 (as well as heaps of other arcade/pinball games, and the Sharp home computers) uses the Yamaha OPM.
I think, with some work, i might be able to make versions of the synth for most of the yamaha FM synthesisers, which probably wouldn't be much use to anyone except people who *really* want to play a sega or neo-geo or whatever like a keyboard.

e: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BrianSchmidt/20141104/229404/Interactive_Audio_in_Black_Knight_2000_The_Importance_of_Integration.php - writeup on the cool poo poo black knight 2000 did, eg. drum fills when the ball hit a bumper, which seems really cool to me

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

fart simpson posted:

why does that guy have a tenant and a landlord?

subletting, they'd have their name on the lease and sublet rooms to other tenants.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress me I would be all over that

We had a Hammond electric organ like that when I was a kid and goddamn it was fun to play.

first instrument i learned to play :D
i think the one we rented from the music store was an (extremely decrepit) yamaha tho. don't have space for one in my apartment, unfortunately

she, her other blog is https://humanofmicomage.tumblr.com/ which has some videogame posting and more music posting, outside of her usual realm of yamaha OP(x) based synths, another good blog to follow imo

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

some groups are climbing the ~ladder to acceptance~ faster than others

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Ghost Farts posted:

actually, it's living color

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

NoneMoreNegative posted:

TAS is Tool ASsisted , so the controller input is being piped in to be as 'powerful' as possible, or so I'm guessing. Once you hit certain values that haven't been capped in the code because no-one could ever get that fast/accurate with a controller, weird poo poo may happen.

of course the game may also just be janky as hell on top of all that.

its an arcade olympics tie-in
of course it's janky as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OteVfuXZfHY
electric hurdy-gurdy

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Panty Saluter posted:

link for purchase?

http://www.zazzle.com.au/dorites_t_shirt-235426707638910625

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

DiggityDoink posted:

yes let me pay just shy of 50 bucks for a tshirt

http://www.redbubble.com/people/zabwag/works/13624461-relax-have-a-dorite?p=t-shirt i just gave the first result for 'dorites tshirt' or whatever

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sniep posted:

zillow exists here tho in the states

they would just ship it from the US fulfillment if they didnt i cant fathom possibly why

http://www.zazzle.com/dorites_t_shirt-235426707638910625 it's $27 US
the australian dollar is worth about 72 US cents (+ we always get ripped of)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

DiggityDoink posted:

arent video james priced way high over there too, even with the conversion rate? iirc they're like 120 bucks

new xbone/ps4 games can be about that expensive (in AUD, not USD), yeah.
big name pc games are like $60US because everyone prices poo poo in USD

• Locked thread